Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Silva Saddle Rolls, show me your packing

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-19, 10:03 AM
robbyville

Bikes: Speedvagen Steel

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 248 Times in 156 Posts

Hello all!

I’ve been using the Silca Saddle Roll for over a year now. I bought it because I liked the classic looks and it can carry the few items I like to carry (multi tool, tube, levers, C02). I’ve never had a problem with it until recently where the strap has stretched and perhaps the way I’m packing and rolling it has altered shape. Either way, it now seems to loosen up at the back during a ride and has once come out of the wire that wraps around it thus dangling from below the saddle allowing items to fall out.

I’ll Attach pics after this post, but just wondering from others who use this roll how they pack and how they attach to the saddle rails. In my case the longer unsupported end goes towards the rear, I’ve once place in the opposite direction but it seemed to not work as well since the wire and pad were on the curve of the saddle rails.

If anyone has any ideas let me know!
Old 12-17-19, 10:06 AM
robbyville

Old 12-26-19, 08:46 AM
robbyville

Just an update for anyone considering this roll. I changed out my tire levers to a different profile (mine were 15 plus year old Pedro’s). The new one’s are round and have less pronounced angles at the end. I only use them to help others anyway since I ride tubeless and never get flats lol.

two rides on bumpy roads with the new packing job and better than ever nice and tight. I did also add a safety pin to the strap that goes around the long ways of the roll (Velcro at the end) just to tighten it up a bit since it had stretched.
Old 12-26-19, 09:25 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
I haven't had a problem with mine, but I have much less stuff packed in to it. My multi-tool is broader, shorter and possibly thinner. I carry the same yellow lever, but only one of them. One tube in the middle, just as yours. I have a small packet with a $5 (to buy emergency snacks or as a boot), a quick link, a little valve core tool, some bacon strips and insertion tool; this goes in the same pocket as the multi-tool. Nothing else besides the above.

I also attach so that the longer end is towards the back - it'll sometimes contact the back of my legs, otherwise.
Old 12-26-19, 06:39 PM
robbyville

Originally Posted by WhyFi
I haven't had a problem with mine, but I have much less stuff packed in to it. My multi-tool is broader, shorter and possibly thinner. I carry the same yellow lever, but only one of them. One tube in the middle, just as yours. I have a small packet with a $5 (to buy emergency snacks or as a boot), a quick link, a little valve core tool, some bacon strips and insertion tool; this goes in the same pocket as the multi-tool. Nothing else besides the above.

I also attach so that the longer end is towards the back - it'll sometimes contact the back of my legs, otherwise.
Thanks! I was thinking of picking up some of those strips, do you recommend them?
Old 12-26-19, 06:51 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Originally Posted by robbyville
Thanks! I was thinking of picking up some of those strips, do you recommend them?
I've only used them once... and they pushed out at ~70psi. Granted, this was when hanging on the wall and over the course of 20 or 30 minutes; in the field, while getting squashed with every tire revolution, I would think that they'd stay in better, so I keep them around for the off chance that I'll get a Goldilocks puncture and need 'em to get home.