Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Enve's new, less expensive road wheels

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 04-09-20, 01:31 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,644 Times in 6,053 Posts

Cycling News, Enve.

Looks like 45 or 65 mm, disc only, for 25 to 28 mm tires, tubeless. Same size front and back. Just popped up on my feed.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 04-09-20, 01:54 PM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 732 Post(s)
Liked 814 Times in 413 Posts
Tubeless only, no thanks. Better price point than their usual offerings at least, guess they're finally realizing that most people don't want to spend $3k+ on a set of wheels.
Old 04-09-20, 02:02 PM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 3316 Post(s)
Liked 3,515 Times in 1,218 Posts
Originally Posted by Rides4Beer
Tubeless only, no thanks.
Tubeless tires only, likely. You'll still be able to run them tubed, if you wanted.

Not really a huge deal nowadays, but important to note.
Old 04-09-20, 02:07 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Originally Posted by Rides4Beer
Tubeless only, no thanks..
Where does it say that. I read "tubeless compatible," and also

Foundation wheels feature ENVE’s patent pending Wide Hookless Bead which is a design element at the leading edge of the rim that dissipates impact energy and reduces the likelihood of pinch flatting your tubed or tubeless tire.
Likes For Cyclist0108:
Old 04-09-20, 02:08 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

I think they are sort of responding to the idea that hookless rims are tubeless-incompatible. (Some tires are reported to blow off hookless rims fairly easily.)
Old 04-09-20, 02:09 PM
Seattle Forrest

I have similar wheels that need tubeless tires but can be used with tubes.

There aren't as many tubeless road tires available as tubed ones. There's excellent tubeless rubber available. You can generally get excellent tubed ones at a lower price.

Tubeless at 28 mm has been working well for me.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 04-09-20, 02:33 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Over on ST, their bike tech's review makes it sound like a righteous pain to set them up, and he's a big fan of tubeless. Hard pass from me.

https://www.slowtwitch.com/Products/...ries_7633.html
Old 04-09-20, 02:35 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Originally Posted by abshipp
Tubeless tires only, likely. You'll still be able to run them tubed, if you wanted.

Not really a huge deal nowadays, but important to note.
You even need tubes to set them up. And there's a specific compatibility list for tires:

https://www.enve.com/en/lp/tire-compatibility/
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 04-09-20, 03:44 PM
SethAZ 

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R260, 2005 Diamondback 29er, 2003 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 182 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
You even need tubes to set them up. And there's a specific compatibility list for tires:

https://www.enve.com/en/lp/tire-compatibility/
Putting a tube in for initial setup is to ensure that the rim tape is properly smashed down onto the rim and well sealed. I've tried tubeless a couple of different times on my bike, and I put a tube in after installing rim tape for the exact same reason. Just look at rim tape that's just been applied, and look at the same type of rim tape in a wheel that's been ridden with tubes for a while and it's easy to see why.

I very much doubt I'll be interested in these wheels, but for other reasons. Them requiring a tube for initial installation, or requiring tires known to be tight enough and strong enough not to blow off due to no bead hook aren't going to be the reasons.
Likes For SethAZ:
Old 04-09-20, 04:21 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Originally Posted by SethAZ
Putting a tube in for initial setup is to ensure that the rim tape is properly smashed down onto the rim and well sealed. I've tried tubeless a couple of different times on my bike, and I put a tube in after installing rim tape for the exact same reason. Just look at rim tape that's just been applied, and look at the same type of rim tape in a wheel that's been ridden with tubes for a while and it's easy to see why.

I very much doubt I'll be interested in these wheels, but for other reasons. Them requiring a tube for initial installation, or requiring tires known to be tight enough and strong enough not to blow off due to no bead hook aren't going to be the reasons.
Oh I've seen the difference. My larger point is that tubeless still appears to be a hassle.
Old 04-09-20, 04:29 PM
SethAZ 

Oh I've seen the difference. My larger point is that tubeless still appears to be a hassle.
Yeah, for road tubeless it's still a hassle. For MTB at least it's easy and much less painful.

My problems with current road tubeless mainly revolve around the issue of constantly having to replenish sealant due to the fact I live in Arizona and it's hot as hell here, so the sealant evaporates quite quickly, then eventually having to deal with all this dried and semi-coagulated sealant when I have to take the tire off. That, and the difficulty of removing and reinstalling uber-tight tubeless tires on the side of the road if a puncture or slice or something happens that can't be sealed by the sealant. Thankfully MTB tubeless is pretty easy in comparison.

I'm also still coming to terms with the idea of hookless rims. The explanations make sense to me, but I need some more time to adapt to the idea before I'd try a hookless rim.
Old 04-09-20, 04:38 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

This is worth reading: https://www.renehersecycles.com/enve...e-herse-tires/
Likes For Cyclist0108:
Old 04-09-20, 05:03 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,435 Times in 4,663 Posts
In getting my Domane ready to sell, I set it back up with tubes. Yeah, after three years away from them, that confirmed for me that tubes are a pain in the ass, too, just one that's more familiar to most.

And that doesn't even include roadside flats. Oy.
Old 04-09-20, 05:39 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Yeah, for road tubeless it's still a hassle.

My problems with current road tubeless mainly revolve around the issue of constantly having to replenish sealant due to the fact I live in Arizona and it's hot as hell here, so the sealant evaporates quite quickly, then eventually having to deal with all this dried and semi-coagulated sealant when I have to take the tire off. That, and the difficulty of removing and reinstalling uber-tight tubeless tires on the side of the road if a puncture or slice or something happens that can't be sealed by the sealant.
We live in the same area, and I'm not having the same problems.
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 04-09-20, 05:48 PM
SethAZ 

Originally Posted by noodle soup
We live in the same area, and I'm not having the same problems.
I'm not averse to trying again, having already tried twice. My next set of tires will be tubeless ready, so I may well just try running them tubeless and see how the experience goes. Are you willing to reveal what specific tires and sealant you're using?

My bikes live in the garage when I'm not riding, and my garage (everyone's garage, I'd assume) gets insanely hot here during the summer. My experience of dealing with dried sealant is based on two or three experiences of sitting in my garage for like an hour or two picking, peeling, rolling, etc. dried sealant off the inside of tubeless tires. If you haven't had to do that before consider yourself fortunate. It's always possible that different rubber compounds or finishes from different manufacturers deal with adhesion of evaporated sealant differently. I'm willing to change my opinions based on new evidence. I did quite enjoy the feel of the tubeless tires when I've tried them.
Old 04-09-20, 06:02 PM
noodle soup

I'm not averse to trying again, having already tried twice. My next set of tires will be tubeless ready, so I may well just try running them tubeless and see how the experience goes. Are you willing to reveal what specific tires and sealant you're using?

My bikes live in the garage when I'm not riding, and my garage (everyone's garage, I'd assume) gets insanely hot here during the summer. My experience of dealing with dried sealant is based on two or three experiences of sitting in my garage for like an hour or two picking, peeling, rolling, etc. dried sealant off the inside of tubeless tires. If you haven't had to do that before consider yourself fortunate. It's always possible that different rubber compounds or finishes from different manufacturers deal with adhesion of evaporated sealant differently. I'm willing to change my opinions based on new evidence. I did quite enjoy the feel of the tubeless tires when I've tried them.
I've been on Schwalbe 30mm G-one Speed tires. and Trucker Cream sealant. https://www.truckerco.com/product-pa...-33-8-us-fl-oz

1 tire was cut beyond repair on it's second day, but in the last 14k miles, that was the only issue. I still limped home on that tire(@ about 25psi), but the tire was toasted.
Old 04-09-20, 06:04 PM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
Over on ST, their bike tech's review makes it sound like a righteous pain to set them up, and he's a big fan of tubeless. Hard pass from me.

https://www.slowtwitch.com/Products/...ries_7633.html
Seeing this wheelset makes me think that, in the near future, “hard pass” may not be an option. Just like how rim brakes and tubulars are getting phased out, I think hooked rims (which are necessary for traditional clincher tires) are seeing their sundown years.

Some observations:
- The hubs uses NTN bearings. Nice to see high quality bearings getting used.
- The spokes are CX sprint, which are stiffer but cheaper than the rays used in higher end wheels
- the profile looks a lot like that of the Light Bicycle falcon rims
- For a hookless rim, there is quite a delta between the inner width and outer width, which is probably good for aero and durability but not weight (hence the average weight). This is one advantage (imo) over cadex
- nobody has mentioned the tires they’re showcasing on the DNA bikes. Some rumors of a tire optimized for wide hookless rims from ENVE have been swirling for a bit. Those might be it. Very exciting, and I hope they’re not ultra fragile.

Last edited by smashndash; 04-09-20 at 06:10 PM.
Likes For smashndash:
Old 04-09-20, 06:04 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Originally Posted by WhyFi
In getting my Domane ready to sell, I set it back up with tubes. Yeah, after three years away from them, that confirmed for me that tubes are a pain in the ass, too, just one that's more familiar to most.

And that doesn't even include roadside flats. Oy.
There are few roadside flats I've gotten that wouldn't have also killed tubeless. And latex is resilient enough that it's saved me from a few itself. But we've been down this road before.
Old 04-09-20, 06:23 PM
WhyFi

Dried Orange Seal comes off pretty easily - I generally just peel off the bigger webs/skins and leave the rest. If you really feel OCD about getting the inside of the carcass clean-clean, then just rub it off with light pressure with the heel of your palm (wear work gloves if you have baby soft hands). There's really no reason to go that far, though - light remnants aren't having any kind of negative affect and peeling them might be exposing punctures that had been previously sealed.

Then there's the question of... why? Why even unmount, clean and remount? Leave the tire on, check fluid levels and viscosity through the valve stem, run 'em until they're threadbare and then toss 'em. I have cleaned 'em out before on my road bike, in fits of boredom and OCD, but then I realized that it wasn't necessary with proper maintenance - I'm really just looking at two or three level checks/top-offs per the life of a tire and you shouldn't get that much accumulation in that period of time.

(I've done it on my gravel bike, but more because it doesn't get too many miles put on it and it'll sit for a for weeks (sometimes months) at a time, cultivating some big snot puddles in the process.)
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 04-09-20, 06:30 PM
WhyFi

There are few roadside flats I've gotten that wouldn't have also killed tubeless. And latex is resilient enough that it's saved me from a few itself. But we've been down this road before.
"Killed" as in totaled the tire? Yeah, those are neither here nor there. If you're talking "killed" as in the tire was still structurally sound but the sealant wouldn't have held, those are exceptionally rare for me - I've experienced that once.
Old 04-09-20, 06:50 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Originally Posted by WhyFi
"Killed" as in totaled the tire? Yeah, those are neither here nor there. If you're talking "killed" as in the tire was still structurally sound but the sealant wouldn't have held, those are exceptionally rare for me - I've experienced that once.
The best was still the 3" nail that went straight through AG's tire and rim bed.
Old 04-09-20, 07:20 PM
Seattle Forrest

I've been on hookless rims for most of 3 years. (Still not riding much lately though.) I've never had a problem with burping or the tire staying attached to the rim. The opposite problem, it's a ***** to get the tires on and off. But that only needs to happen every couple thousand miles. I'm interested in how they or anything else performs while you're riding. So I put up with the difficulty. It seems like hookless is popular with carbon rim makers.

Never had the sealant dry up on me but it's cooler and more humid here.

These sound like a lot of wheel for half the money from a respected manufacturer. Lot of positives. Light Bicycle wheels are pretty well reputed around here (BF) for considerably less and name a strong case unless you're losing races by seconds though.
Old 04-09-20, 07:39 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

They look like a really good deal, although I don't know if I could bring myself to ride on skinny anorexic 28mm tires. Also I have QR.
Old 04-09-20, 08:50 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10873 Post(s)
Liked 7,354 Times in 4,125 Posts
Glad to see they have introduced a product to bring pricing down so enve is now available to the common man.***

...I'll continue to wonder what I'm missing, but not come close to be tempted to try to understand.
Old 04-09-20, 08:55 PM
noodle soup

The best was still the 3" nail that went straight through AG's tire and rim bed.
would a tube have prevented it?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.