Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Cannondale vs Canyon

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Cannondale vs Canyon

Old 05-11-20, 08:47 AM
aorourke

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cannondale vs Canyon

I would welcome any advice on which one of these two bikes you would recommend I buy
  • Cannondale supersix evo 2020: Ultegra
  • Canyon Ultimate CF SL 8.0: Ultegra
Thanks
Old 05-11-20, 09:26 AM
texbiker

Bikes: Cervelo Caledonia Rival AXS eTap, Blue Norcross AL, Lynskey Helix

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 81 Posts
I ride a Canyon Endurace CF SLX Ultegra so I vote for the Canyon.
Likes For texbiker:
Old 05-11-20, 09:54 AM
RedBullFiXX

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 33 Posts
I also ride Canyons
But the new SuperSix evo is an all new model from C Dale, and it's a very cool bike
If even money, that would be worth a good look
Old 05-11-20, 11:52 AM
ZHVelo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked 228 Times in 160 Posts
Why particularly those two? Do you already have a bike?

Coincidentally, the Ultimate CF SL 8.0 is my desired next bike.
Likes For ZHVelo:
Old 05-11-20, 12:03 PM
Tacoenthusiast

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 223 Times in 84 Posts
$2700 vs $4200......

​​​​​Of course the $4200 gets you carbon wheels vs AL wheels on the canyon

For $4500 canyon sells with etap and carbon wheels, or $3700 with di2 and Al wheels

Unless the Cannondale dealer is discounting heavy, that's just a huge price premium.
I have an ultimate, it's a really nice ride

Also the Cannondale ships with crummy $20 tires while the canyon ships with the Conti tires you want already installed....in effect this saves you $80 more bucks in addition to the bike being cheaper

Last edited by Tacoenthusiast; 05-11-20 at 12:14 PM.
Old 05-11-20, 12:06 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3179 Post(s)
Liked 2,006 Times in 1,149 Posts
I like the look of the Canyon frame better than the Cannondale, but would not want that stem, which I think is a one piece bar & stem ?. I'd want a more traditional design that gives you some flexibility for changing if the fit needs adjusting.
Old 05-11-20, 01:35 PM
waters60

Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 62 Posts
I bought the 2020 Supersix 105 non High Mod version in March. I swapped over the Di2 group from my 2018 Synapse. I love the difference but a persistent issue has yet to be resolved in 5 trips to two local Shimano certified mechanics. With the left pedal at 6:00 while standing there is a loud grinding noise from the pads hitting the rotor. I am used to the occasional faint tink noise but this is very different and not acceptable. Cannondale sent a new fork and I hope that takes care of it but I am not optimistic. My guess at this point is that the bike was designed around the High Mod flex characteristics and the less expensive carbon in mine can’t take the stress. The stress can be quite subtle; it need not be a huge stomp.
It is a shame because I love the way it handles. I have almost 40,000’ feet of climbing on it and am very familiar with how it handles uphill and down.
I would be interested to know whether others have experienced this problem.

Last edited by waters60; 05-11-20 at 02:19 PM.
Old 05-12-20, 09:54 AM
aorourke

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by waters60
I bought the 2020 Supersix 105 non High Mod version in March. I swapped over the Di2 group from my 2018 Synapse. I love the difference but a persistent issue has yet to be resolved in 5 trips to two local Shimano certified mechanics. With the left pedal at 6:00 while standing there is a loud grinding noise from the pads hitting the rotor. I am used to the occasional faint tink noise but this is very different and not acceptable. Cannondale sent a new fork and I hope that takes care of it but I am not optimistic. My guess at this point is that the bike was designed around the High Mod flex characteristics and the less expensive carbon in mine can’t take the stress. The stress can be quite subtle; it need not be a huge stomp.
It is a shame because I love the way it handles. I have almost 40,000’ feet of climbing on it and am very familiar with how it handles uphill and down.
I would be interested to know whether others have experienced this problem.
Given the price difference I was actually thinking of getting the Supersix 105 and adding my current Ultegra groupset. Perhaps controversial, but I'm not convinced about disk breaks yet so the tinking noise won't be a problem.
Old 05-12-20, 10:30 AM
aorourke

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
On a $ for $ comparison, I think the Canyon is much more value for money as they state that they don't have shops or outlets so they focus on providing the best value for money. However, I'm very tempted by the Cannondale frame, so maybe the entry level 105 frame is the best option and just add my Ultegra groupset.
Old 05-16-20, 01:51 PM
waters60

Originally Posted by aorourke
Given the price difference I was actually thinking of getting the Supersix 105 and adding my current Ultegra groupset. Perhaps controversial, but I'm not convinced about disk breaks yet so the tinking noise won't be a problem.
Got the rubbing problem fixed with a new fork. Don’t know why but with that problem out of the way I got in 60 miles & 6,000’ of climbing today, adding to the 35,000’ already on it. Without the rubbing sound it was a joy! I love my Supersix!
Old 05-16-20, 02:52 PM
InvertedMP 

Bikes: 2021 Scott Addict RC 20

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked 269 Times in 104 Posts
Great, just when I thought I could calm down on bikes, I just googled the 2020 Supersix Evo... Time to sell another kidney!
Old 05-17-20, 02:52 PM
sfrider 
Asleep at the bars

Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 135 Posts
Originally Posted by waters60
It could also be the wheel needing retensioning...
Old 05-17-20, 05:24 PM
waters60

Solved that question when the new fork stopped the rubbing.
Old 05-17-20, 06:32 PM
PoorInRichfield

Bikes: Trek Domane SL7 Disc, Cannondale F29

Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 321 Times in 182 Posts
Could you provide links to the exact bikes? Unless I'm looking at the wrong bikes, there's a huge price difference between the two so I'm not even sure why they're being compared. The Cannondale with Ultegra is a disc model with carbon wheels where as the Canyon is a rim-brake model for $1,700 less. Money aside, I'd go with the Cannondale because I'm completely sold on disc brakes and feel they're more "future proof". But for $4,200, there's a bunch of bikes that could/should be considered.
Old 05-17-20, 08:49 PM
scott967

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
Not a big fan of BB30a nor proprietary cockpit designs. Haven't owned any but just don't like the idea.

scott s.