Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Help model IDing a Foldable Aluminum MTB

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-20, 03:43 PM
ivangohome

Bikes: A 26" custom folding dual-susp. MTB, and an upgraded Cannondale Adventurer 4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Updated on 26 May to include photos.
Context:

A few days back I bought this bike for $45 whose past owners treated it atrociously. I had intended to part it until I realized the frame is lightweight aluminum, foldable and dual-suspension, so I'm now in the process of restoring it.

Foldable Aluminum MTB. Someone horribly brush-painted the whole thing black. Scratches and dent-marks indicate past failure to remove the pedals without a pedal-tool. Frame axle bearings were destroyed. Bought for $45 off FB marketplace, almost unridable. Currently undergoing restoration.

Can anyone help me ID the model of this bike?
  • NXB260008 serial number (production year '08? 8th bike produced? No further info found anywhere, stickers also removed).
  • This folding-frame concept was introduced in February 2006 by the now-defunct Onyerbike. One of their bikes matches the colour scheme, while their Hornet matches in terms of brakes and build quality. The mid and rear-framing don't match exactly.
  • The Bazooka Navigator below is very similar, matching in build quality, brakes and the exact colour scheme, but also with a mid and rear-framing that don't match.
  • Very light-weight aluminum frame (unknown alloy), 6061 alloy rear Xrims (AleXims) with Joytech hub, cheap steel front rims also with a Joytech hub. Both wheels 26".
  • A lot of Promax and Shimano parts.
  • Mismatching tires, one from Thailand-origin Camel (May 2006 production date possibly?), the other from Kylin Brand.
  • Pedals are perhaps non-original as they are non-foldable, but that is debatable if this bicycle is from very early production and foldable pedals were not widely available yet (I'm very uncertain on this).
  • Promax handlebars have a manufacture date of April 2003, found on the column within the aluminum housing, making them likely non-original, especially as I have never seen any common foldable bike using them.
  • The K2 Sports seat and seat-post are certainly non-original, they're way too big for the aluminum housing, which subsequently has a top-to-bottom crack that we'll be getting welded.
Regarding my mid-frame:

I'm leaning towards the understanding that this is some sort of early, almost prototype, version of the aluminum folding MTB. You can see the lower parts welded together are all simpler on my mid-frame compared to any other. It's still very light-weight aluminum.

Anyone else have more concrete info about this thing? It's super obscure to me.

Last edited by ivangohome; 05-26-20 at 11:27 AM. Reason: Couldn't put photos when I was new.
Old 05-12-20, 09:29 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4349 Post(s)
Liked 3,986 Times in 2,661 Posts
It is probably some low end thing from China possibly one of those Montague things or something from Amazon? It doesn't sound like an item of quality given what you are telling us and hopefully you didn't overpay. Sometimes those project bikes can be fun but they can also turn into a money pit.

Folding bikes have been around a while Moulton was doing his thing in the 1960s and I am sure there is stuff from well before that.

If you are interested in bikes you should join these forums and post and interact with people. If you are just here to ask one question and then leave, just leave now and save yourself the time and effort. The whole idea of the 10 posts thing is one to prevent spam but two to encourage you to enjoy these awesome forums and talk about bikes and bike related topics and other stuff should you desire in some of the sub forums. It is a magical place full of opinions and sometimes facts (well at least everything I post ).
Old 05-13-20, 01:27 PM
ivangohome

Bikes: A 26" custom folding dual-susp. MTB, and an upgraded Cannondale Adventurer 4

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
It's not cheaply made, that's the odd thing. It just uses simpler, lesser engineered aluminum pieces welded together to make the frame. We don't yet know what kind of aluminum it is, but as we've stripped the thing down to just the frame I can tell you it's very light-weight. $45 Canadian was certainly worth it.

I have a contact that I will be sourcing parts from, a building manager in Vancouver. Once in a while he has to remove bicycles that have been abandoned, so I've told him to send pictures of the bikes when they come 'round (usually the end of the month when people move out).

I'm quite fond of both tinkering and commuting with bikes, for the entirety of high school I've cycled to and from school and beyond. Ya know what? I'm going to make an introduction post.
Old 05-13-20, 04:16 PM
hillyman
WALSTIB

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 384 Times in 183 Posts
https://www.bazookabikes.com/pages/about-us

Hopefully at least a Bazooka. Where your located a good chance. Only thing I know to tell you is to contact Bazooka and ask if that's one of their serial numbers. Good luck and happy biking

Likes For hillyman:
Old 05-13-20, 06:24 PM
ivangohome

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Will do! It's our best bet at the moment.
Old 05-13-20, 08:18 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4349 Post(s)
Liked 3,986 Times in 2,661 Posts
Originally Posted by ivangohome
It's not cheaply made, that's the odd thing. It just uses simpler, lesser engineered aluminum pieces welded together to make the frame. We don't yet know what kind of aluminum it is, but as we've stripped the thing down to just the frame I can tell you it's very light-weight. $45 Canadian was certainly worth it.

I have a contact that I will be sourcing parts from, a building manager in Vancouver. Once in a while he has to remove bicycles that have been abandoned, so I've told him to send pictures of the bikes when they come 'round (usually the end of the month when people move out).

I'm quite fond of both tinkering and commuting with bikes, for the entirety of high school I've cycled to and from school and beyond. Ya know what? I'm going to make an introduction post.
From the components you listed it didn't sound like a high end folder. It is possible someone replaced everything to cheap stuff but I would doubt it a lot of work for zero reward.
Old 05-26-20, 11:30 AM
ivangohome

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by hillyman
...contact Bazooka and ask...
No luck so far, I think they've shrunk as a company since. Who knows what covid has also done to their services.
Old 05-26-20, 01:49 PM
hillyman
WALSTIB

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 384 Times in 183 Posts
Oh well. More important to just repair and replace to get it on the road. Can be The Mystery Bike

Likes For hillyman:
Old 05-28-20, 06:56 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Maybe there's a name underneath that rattle-can black paint?
Old 05-30-20, 12:21 PM
ivangohome

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
Maybe there's a name underneath that rattle-can black paint?
Nothing, all the stickers were removed by previous owners, likely right before these sloppy paint jobs.