Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Updates to Canyon's line for 2020?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 05-12-20, 08:40 PM
Plainsman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 30 Posts

Has anyone heard about updates coming for the Ultimate or the Endurace? I'm strongly considering an Endurace purchase, but it's been so long since they were updated, my only hesitation is in thinking model improvements might be just around the corner. Any industry insiders in here? Any rumors/scuttle about updates?
Old 05-12-20, 09:29 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,644 Times in 6,053 Posts
The Endurance is getting a 250 watt motor for 2020.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 05-13-20, 07:06 AM
Plainsman

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
The Endurance is getting a 250 watt motor for 2020.
Yes, I saw that - actually watched a video of it. Great news for the E-bike crowd, but not exactly the update I'm looking for. More curious if any design changes are coming (more aero tube shapes, diff carbon layup, seat stay profiles, weight drops, cable integration, etc.).
Old 05-13-20, 07:56 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3182 Post(s)
Liked 2,460 Times in 1,489 Posts
When do the new bike models get introduced? We're mid 2020 now. That around the corner could be 2021 or later.
Likes For seypat:
Old 05-13-20, 10:28 AM
Plainsman

Originally Posted by seypat
When do the new bike models get introduced? We're mid 2020 now. That around the corner could be 2021 or later.
Right, 2021. But those typically drop in 2020, that's what I was hinting at. I'm far from an industry insider, but just from my general bike geekiness and always watching, it seems that the new models are dropping earlier and earlier. From most of the major brands I tend to start seeing old stock getting cleared out in late Summer - early September as the new models roll in. I believe the Endurace came out in 2014, and I'm not sure it has had any significant frame changes since then. That will make this design 6 years old this Fall. I bought my last road bike in the Fall of 2014, and it was discontinued shortly thereafter. That didn't make it a bad bike or a bad deal (it was great on both fronts, and still is a solid ride), but it did mean that I've been watching the new tech for the past 5 years or so, and would like to get in this time on the front end rather than the back.

I thought I had read somewhere (can't recall when or where) that the Canyon team might be borrowing from the Aeroad to make the Ultimate and the Endurace a little more slippery in the wind and produce a better overall performer. In particular, wondering if Canyon is going to follow suite with the Endurace like Trek did with the Domane (making the new Domane more aerodynamic, and allowing for up to 38mm tire clearance in the new fork). It looks like Trek is already starting to show 2021 models on their site.

Zwift leaked what should be the 2021 Aeroad, and it has some decent changes from the model below (deep section seat stays, deep seat post). That would allow Canyon to borrow from the current Aeroad and apply some of those features to the Ultimate and Endurace, while still offering something different for the new Aeroad.

If Eurobike still happens this year, that would be the first week of September. Would hope to hear some news before then.

While I'm making a list, I'm also wishing they would produce an Endurace with the silver Aeroad paint job - in addition to the standard Stealth scheme. (but we don't always get what we want :-) ) I'm sold on neutral bike color schemes - go with any kits!

Current Aeroad in silver, simple scheme but love it!

Typical stealth color scheme. Some find it "meh," but I personally like it.

Last edited by Plainsman; 05-13-20 at 10:35 AM.
Likes For Plainsman:
Old 05-13-20, 11:12 AM
richard.susanto

Bikes: Canyon Grail CF SL Disc 8.0, Canyon Endurace CF SLX Disc 8.0 ETAP

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 8 Posts
The Aeroad line had just been refreshed. Check out their German website.
Old 05-13-20, 01:31 PM
Plainsman

Originally Posted by richard.susanto
Since the US site opened I often forget to check the European site. Thanks, but that is not the version I'm thinking about. The link below shows the commercial for Zwift that was a hot topic this January. They may be holding the udpate back based on the Coronavirus and wanting to debut it with the Pros first.

https://www.cyclist.co.uk/news/7535/...-canyon-aeroad
Old 05-14-20, 02:26 PM
richard.susanto

Bikes: Canyon Grail CF SL Disc 8.0, Canyon Endurace CF SLX Disc 8.0 ETAP

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 8 Posts
Ah ok. I just read the article you included (the Zwift leak). The new model looks sweet. It looks very much like the Venge with the bigger seatpost.

I'd think the new model probably be available in 2021, knowing that Canyon is not planning to restock the current models until June this year.

Richard
Old 05-14-20, 03:45 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4696 Post(s)
Liked 1,512 Times in 987 Posts
Originally Posted by Plainsman
Y More curious if any design changes are coming (more aero tube shapes, diff carbon layup, seat stay profiles, weight drops, cable integration, etc.).
If I told you that all of those things are to be expected in the next model year, would you necessarily believe me or the marketing that it's any better?
Old 05-14-20, 04:18 PM
RedBullFiXX

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 33 Posts
Marketing Hype aside, Some riders just like new bikes
Not so hard to believe
Old 05-14-20, 06:39 PM
Plainsman

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
If I told you that all of those things are to be expected in the next model year, would you necessarily believe me or the marketing that it's any better?
If a change for instance, made it lighter, I would be very interested in that.
Old 05-15-20, 07:14 AM
Noctilux.95

Bikes: Bianchi Oltre XR4 Celeste, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Giant TCR SL, Giant Revolt Advanced Revolt 0 Gravel Bike, Trek Madone SLR, Cervelo R5 Disk

Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked 124 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by richard.susanto
I checked, its the same.