Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

looking to build hybrid mountain bike - frame ideas

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-20, 12:09 PM
bishop130771

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

I've been out of cycling for a few years and now looking to do another build (I've previously built mountain bikes). The style I'm going for is mountain bike frame (hardtail) with front suspension and hydrid style wheels/tyres...
Why not just buy a hydrid? Well I like MB frames particulalry ones with lower top bar (I'm female 5'11) and being able to choose my own components is far better for me, added to that I just enjoy it. My last bike was a Cotic Solaris with Fox Floats Evo rims, hope brakes and 32mm gator tyres....I geared it similar to hybrids but slightly more towards taller gearing for a commute I used to do (mix of road/towpath/gravel/cycle ways)
I don't want female frame as that narrows the choice but wondered if anyone could recommend a good frame that doesn't cost the earth!!!
Old 06-01-20, 12:53 PM
qclabrat

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by bishop130771
I've been out of cycling for a few years and now looking to do another build (I've previously built mountain bikes). The style I'm going for is mountain bike frame (hardtail) with front suspension and hydrid style wheels/tyres...
Why not just buy a hydrid? Well I like MB frames particulalry ones with lower top bar (I'm female 5'11) and being able to choose my own components is far better for me, added to that I just enjoy it. My last bike was a Cotic Solaris with Fox Floats Evo rims, hope brakes and 32mm gator tyres....I geared it similar to hybrids but slightly more towards taller gearing for a commute I used to do (mix of road/towpath/gravel/cycle ways)
I don't want female frame as that narrows the choice but wondered if anyone could recommend a good frame that doesn't cost the earth!!!
Welcome
The Cotic Solaris is a fine bike, what was wrong with it. I think with the light steel it would make a perfectly fitting gravel/hybrid bike. Just change the tires for the road of get a second set of wheels.
btw, what is your budget? do want to stick with steel or something different?
Old 06-01-20, 01:29 PM
bishop130771

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by qclabrat
Welcome
The Cotic Solaris is a fine bike, what was wrong with it. I think with the light steel it would make a perfectly fitting gravel/hybrid bike. Just change the tires for the road of get a second set of wheels.
btw, what is your budget? do want to stick with steel or something different?
Nothing wrong with it just that I stupidly sold it! Yes steel frame is preferred (its all I know tbh)...think i will need to look at best gearing options to suit my regular routes....
Old 06-01-20, 01:43 PM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Jamis or Surly come to mind.
Old 06-01-20, 02:05 PM
qclabrat

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by bishop130771
Nothing wrong with it just that I stupidly sold it! Yes steel frame is preferred (its all I know tbh)...think i will need to look at best gearing options to suit my regular routes....
Have you checked out the Niner Sir9? Similar tubing to the Cotic, This on is built up and all you would need are less aggressive tires for the road.
Priced right that you can upgrade what you want without too much pain.
https://www.bikebling.com/Niner-SIR-...shoppingengine

Also Ritchey has a new frame which looks promising. https://us.ritcheylogic.com/us_en/ultra-frameset
Old 06-01-20, 03:00 PM
bishop130771

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
mountain hybrid

Thanks, they both look interesting contenders
Old 06-01-20, 09:28 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
My candidate for you is an All-City Electric Queen. It's like a nicer Karate Monkey. But really what you need is a time machine. Mountain bikes have diverged further from hybrids. They have longer frames, shorter stems, raked-out steering geometry. Front derailleurs have gone away and dropper posts have arrived in force. Wheels and tires got bigger.
Genesis 49:16-17