Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Trek Domane - possibly destroyed in strange incident

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 06-16-20, 06:00 AM
Jungleland

Bikes: Trek Domane SL4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 7 Posts

I have a new Trek Domane SL4 that I have only but about 600 or so miles on. I was riding on Saturday, going about 20mph on a paved road with a nice shoulder and hit a small stick that I didn't even see. Somehow the stick got flung up in my rear derailleur causing the entire thing to break in half sending one half of it into my front gears and destroying that as well. Honestly, I can't wrap my head around how it happened. On first inspection by my LBS, it ruined my rear wheel and may have cracked the frame. My LBS indicated that Trek would most likely not cover it either so I am crushed at having my 1st ever road bike possibly being totaled right off the bat and being 100% out of pocket. Chalk it up under "stuff happens"?

It's hard to see in the pics:

Old 06-16-20, 06:12 AM
dr_max

Bikes: BMC SLC01 Promachine with full DA grupo on Ksyrium ES/ BMC Roadmachine 01 One disc Ultegra with DT Swiss

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 37 Posts
Oh my my....

Seen this with the rear derailleur of a friend when he was climbing and shifted when applying torque at the same time. The rear derailleur broke and got into his rear wheel damaged and cracked the rear carbon triangle on his BMC.

he had specific crash replacement insurance for racing on his home insurance policy and replaced it with titanium frame.
Old 06-16-20, 06:21 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,435 Times in 4,663 Posts
Stuff happens. The RD is an easy replacement. The frame is the biggest concern.

Trek has a "Carbon Care" program - check it out.

There are third parties that can repair damaged carbon frames - check them out if the Trek's Carbon Care program isn't very attractive.
Old 06-16-20, 06:22 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3071 Post(s)
Liked 1,624 Times in 999 Posts
Ouch. Sorry man.
Old 06-16-20, 07:54 AM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Bikes: Road bikes, mountain bikes, a cx bike, a gravel bike…

Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 339 Posts
There’s grass seed in the rear derailleur. Be sure to get it out before anyone sees that you were riding off-road when the “innocent incident” occurred. Just kidding. That really stinks. I hope you get it sorted soon and it doesn’t cost you anything but a little time. Good luck. Trek is a solid company.
Old 06-16-20, 07:57 AM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9991 Post(s)
Liked 5,011 Times in 2,136 Posts
Sorry to hear that. I would be devastated.
Old 06-16-20, 08:10 AM
Jungleland

Originally Posted by AdkMtnMonster
There’s grass seed in the rear derailleur. Be sure to get it out before anyone sees that you were riding off-road when the “innocent incident” occurred. Just kidding. That really stinks. I hope you get it sorted soon and it doesn’t cost you anything but a little time. Good luck. Trek is a solid company.
LOL, that was my "topple over in the grass" event after the incident. Pulled off the edge of the road, put my foot down and realized there was too much of a drop off in the grass ditch for my foot to land on and I just slowly fell over into the grass. The one good thing is that it was only my pride that was hurt.
Likes For Jungleland:
Old 06-16-20, 08:23 AM
55murray

Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 58 Posts
Wow sorry man. How could so much go so wrong so quickly...
Old 06-16-20, 08:28 AM
Gconan

Bikes: Norco search xr

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 90 Posts
Hopefully it did not crack the frame. If it did maybe Trek could give you one at cost? Or repair it at a good price? I hope it works out for you. Stuff does happen unfortunately. You have your health!
Old 06-16-20, 08:37 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by Gconan
Hopefully it did not crack the frame.
I'm not seeing any in the photo's, but it'll be easier to see once the broken parts are removed.
Old 06-16-20, 08:40 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 950 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 421 Posts
Originally Posted by Jungleland
I have a new Trek Domane SL4 that I have only but about 600 or so miles on. I was riding on Saturday, going about 20mph on a paved road with a nice shoulder and hit a small stick that I didn't even see. Somehow the stick got flung up in my rear derailleur causing the entire thing to break in half sending one half of it into my front gears and destroying that as well. Honestly, I can't wrap my head around how it happened. On first inspection by my LBS, it ruined my rear wheel and may have cracked the frame. My LBS indicated that Trek would most likely not cover it either so I am crushed at having my 1st ever road bike possibly being totaled right off the bat and being 100% out of pocket. Chalk it up under "stuff happens"?

It's hard to see in the pics:

Talking about bad luck... It seems like Murphy's law hit you full speed. What were the probabilities...

Trek won't cover it because it was caused by your usage, not a manufacturer defect. It might be repairable though, but I am concerned about your frame that seem to have been hit hard.

Is the LBS you bought it from willing to repair it at a reduced price? If not, did they offer a good rebate on another bike? If I were that shop, I'd do that to keep my customer happy.
Old 06-16-20, 08:56 AM
deacon mark

Bikes: Habanero Titanium Team Nuevo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 120 Posts
This is why Titanium is really the way to go, that to me should not be so fragile.
Likes For deacon mark:
Old 06-16-20, 09:01 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 950 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 421 Posts
Originally Posted by deacon mark
This is why Titanium is really the way to go, that to me should not be so fragile.
If TI was ''really the way to go'' Pros would all use it. Last time I checked, it was not the case. Still a great metal though!
Old 06-16-20, 09:05 AM
Tacoenthusiast

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 223 Times in 84 Posts
Does trek not have a crash replacement policy? And if they do why didn't the shop tell you about it?
Old 06-16-20, 09:09 AM
deacon mark

Bikes: Habanero Titanium Team Nuevo

Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 120 Posts
Originally Posted by eduskator
If TI was ''really the way to go'' Pros would all use it. Last time I checked, it was not the case. Still a great metal though!
What the pros do and what you and I do are 2 completely different things. They crash or ruin a frame and they get a new frame. Those of us who are just ordinary riders probably would be better of with using TI. This is not about performance and speed at the absolute limit. Many pro's retire and ride TI.
Likes For deacon mark:
Old 06-16-20, 09:12 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by Tacoenthusiast
Does trek not have a crash replacement policy? And if they do why didn't the shop tell you about it?
^^^^^^
This
Originally Posted by WhyFi
There are third parties that can repair damaged carbon frames - check them out if the Trek's Carbon Care program isn't very attractive.
Calfee
https://calfeedesign.com/carbon-repair/

I used them.
Old 06-16-20, 09:16 AM
Tacoenthusiast

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 223 Times in 84 Posts
Originally Posted by deacon mark
What the pros do and what you and I do are 2 completely different things. They crash or ruin a frame and they get a new frame. Those of us who are just ordinary riders probably would be better of with using TI. This is not about performance and speed at the absolute limit. Many pro's retire and ride TI.

Maybe we should get single speed steel cruiser bikes, since it's not about speed and performance and a single speed beach cruiser is much more dependable than a ti bike!
Old 06-16-20, 09:27 AM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Damn - that came out of nowhere. Is that damage up along the back of the seat tube in the second pic?
A guy I knew years ago, he was hammering down a hill in a big gear, and he ran over a small stick which flipped up into his drivetrain. It got between the chain and sprocket, so the chain started spinning over the teeth rather than engaging the teeth. The sudden "unweighting" of his cranks caused him to lose control and he wiped out. I've always been careful about avoiding even small sticks as a result, but your tale reinforces this caution. Hope your frame comes through without too many (or expensive) battle scars.

Last edited by Litespud; 06-16-20 at 09:34 AM.
Old 06-16-20, 09:30 AM
Jungleland

Thanks for the advice everyone. I will definitely look into the various repair/coverage options offered by Trek and my LBS. Both my wife and my mom and I all have really nice road bikes from there and have been loyal customers so hopefully I can get some sort of discount.
Old 06-16-20, 09:40 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4696 Post(s)
Liked 1,512 Times in 987 Posts
Thanks for the advice everyone. I will definitely look into the various repair/coverage options offered by Trek and my LBS. Both my wife and my mom and I all have really nice road bikes from there and have been loyal customers so hopefully I can get some sort of discount.
I suppose you could check your homeowners/renters policy to see if there's anything that could make sense?

What is the latest verdict on bike insurance policies.. still pricey? Talking about the Velosurance or Markel types of products. Alternatively a rider on a renters/homeowner policy.
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 06-16-20, 09:43 AM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 287 Times in 160 Posts
These material arguments are so boring. Next!

As for the OP, reach out to the LBS and trek. See if they have a crash replacement as others have suggested. I would take the parts off to get a better look. Hopefully you just obliterated the RD hangar.

If you have basic hand tools you can take off the crank and RD to get a better look. Still a bummer. Hope it works out!
Likes For ridethecliche:
Old 06-16-20, 10:02 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10873 Post(s)
Liked 7,354 Times in 4,125 Posts
Where is the frame damage? Is that a crack on the bottom bracket shell where the left chainstay meets the shell or is that just shadows?
Old 06-16-20, 10:41 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3054 Post(s)
Liked 6,319 Times in 3,658 Posts
Let's not turn this thread into another frame material choice/argument thread. Thank you.
Old 06-16-20, 10:45 AM
PoorInRichfield

Bikes: Trek Domane SL7 Disc, Cannondale F29

Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 321 Times in 182 Posts
Let your LBS submit the issue to Trek before doing anything... I've had several instances where Trek's customer service went way beyond expectations for no reason other than I asked them to.

For example, I bought a Trek mountain bike for a nephew and he accidentally destroyed the front wheel because he failed to tighten the quick release properly before riding and the wheel fell off! I took the mangled rim to my LBS and told them, "This is my nephew's fault, I do not expect Trek warranty will do anything as they have no obligation to, but see what you can do." Trek sent a whole new wheel at no cost to me. Granted, I can't promise they'll do the same on a high-end frame, but they want happy customers and I'm willing to be they'll help you out somehow.
Likes For PoorInRichfield:
Old 06-16-20, 10:54 AM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 287 Times in 160 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Where is the frame damage? Is that a crack on the bottom bracket shell where the left chainstay meets the shell or is that just shadows?
Looks like the shadow of the chainring.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.