Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Is caffeine really that potent?

Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Old 06-28-20, 08:38 AM
ZHVelo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 161 Posts

I was gonna do my longest ride yet, including highest elevation metres, so I took two caffeine pills that I still had, and I felt like I was flying, at least for the first 50-60km I could put out some good watts in a high-ish gear and my legs just felt great.

I normally don't consume caffeine at all.
Old 06-28-20, 09:10 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3873 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
Uh, yup. On long rides, I take 200mg every 3 hours. https://www.healthline.com/nutrition...ase-metabolism
Old 06-28-20, 09:21 AM
ZHVelo

Feels like cheating though.
Likes For ZHVelo:
Old 06-28-20, 09:49 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Around here, the surfers take meth.
Likes For Cyclist0108:
Old 06-28-20, 02:49 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
I don't use caffeine pills, but I like drinking coffee. On longer rides I will stop and buy iced cappuccino or iced coffee. Sometimes I will bring my own homemade drink which contains instant coffee.
Old 06-28-20, 02:55 PM
spdntrxi

Bikes: not enough

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 52 Posts
caffeine can hurt too... it's blood type dependent believe it or not. If it's beneficial for you (which it is for most) then it's best used only when you need it. As in if you drink coffee everyday it's not going to help as much.
Old 06-28-20, 02:57 PM
DeadGrandpa

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough.

Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked 307 Times in 198 Posts
When on multi day rides and camping, I have thrown a couple of tablespoons instant coffee into one of my bike bottles. The taste is not for everyone, but I have acquired a liking for it. You don't need to heat the water to dissolve the granules if you're not cooking breakfast anyway.
At this point in my life, caffeine just gets me up to where I can function reasonably well.

Last edited by DeadGrandpa; 06-28-20 at 03:01 PM.
Likes For DeadGrandpa:
Old 06-28-20, 03:34 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by spdntrxi
caffeine can hurt too... it's blood type dependent believe it or not. If it's beneficial for you (which it is for most) then it's best used only when you need it. As in if you drink coffee everyday it's not going to help as much.
Taking high doses of caffeine such as caffeine pills and using energy drinks is harmful...Drinking few cups of coffee is beneficial....The problem is that humans have a flawed logic, they think that if a little bit of something is good then more must be better. Too much caffeine will lead to addiction and dependence just like with any other drug.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 06-28-20, 07:13 PM
spdntrxi

Bikes: not enough

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 52 Posts
not blood type.. dont know what I was thinking. The is a certain DNA marker for it... so if you get a DNA test you can find out what genotype you are.
Old 06-28-20, 09:34 PM
bargo68 
Dedicated Detritus Dodger

Bikes: Some mighty fine ones at that!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 603 Times in 247 Posts
I think so. My evening commute is made or broken by it. Or lack thereof....
Old 06-29-20, 05:21 AM
ZHVelo

Originally Posted by wolfchild
Taking high doses of caffeine such as caffeine pills and using energy drinks is harmful...Drinking few cups of coffee is beneficial....The problem is that humans have a flawed logic, they think that if a little bit of something is good then more must be better. Too much caffeine will lead to addiction and dependence just like with any other drug.
You really think so? When I bought these, it was for a specific even and I wanted to beat a friend who at the time was close to me in performance so I wanted every boost possible. I read up on it, and did not find anything about it being harmful if you take it seldom. Sure, I guess every day would be bad. Agree about energy drinks though, godknows what is in those, but these pills it literally is just caffeine and it's taken before long physical exercise maybe once or twice a month. So I will probably keep using them on very long rides, but not even normal, longer Sunday ones.
Old 06-29-20, 06:17 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Excessive caffeine has done nothing but give me massive, debilitating cramps in longer races. Also doesn't seem very effective in shorter races.

The biggest difference I've found in "feel" has been from training during weight loss (so seemingly perpetually on the edge of a bonk) and then properly fueling and excessive consumption on the bike (especially with something like maltodextrin). Malto in the bottles after periods of training and weightloss feels like NOS.
Likes For rubiksoval:
Old 06-29-20, 07:26 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
I don't get cramps from it, but I just don't care for any caffeine during a ride. I drink coffee all day long if not riding, but I avoid it and other caffeinated beverages before and during a ride.

I do agree that maltodextrin does seem to replete spent energy quicker while riding than other carbs I've used. So if NOS is a Nitrogen Oxide System on a race car, then that's a fair analogy.
Old 06-29-20, 11:37 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
Caffeine has quite a kick the first few times if you're not a regular drinker of coffee, etc. I remember buzzing like a hummingbird the first time I started drinking coffee in the Navy. But after a couple of weeks I barely noticed any effect. It still worked but was more subtle.

That initial buzz could be unpleasant and can provoke a blood sugar drop, but that effect seems to subside with regular use. I remember bonking hard during an uphill group run in military training after drinking way more coffee than usual and a bunch of donuts in addition to eggs and bacon. The sugar buzz was great for a few minutes and then I crashed, hard. Only time that's ever happened. I never tried that combo again before PT.

But the body adapts quickly and I don't notice any buzz. After awhile it becomes more of a necessity just to get moving in the morning. There's also some minor withdrawal symptoms for heavy users -- headaches, etc.

I've cut back a bit on my morning coffee, but all of my usual road snacks and gels have caffeine. My favorites are Clif mocha gel shots, and Cool Mint Chocolate energy bars. Both have about 50 mg caffeine. That's about equivalent to half of my usual mug of coffee. On a hard workout ride I'll use about one gel per hour and it helps. There's a bit more kick than the caffeine free gels and bars.

Occasionally I'll vary snacks but I have no problems with those two Clif products so I usually stick with them. I don't think I've ever had problems with any gels, but have with bars that contain sugar alcohols -- comically ferocious gas. Well, comical for me, not for anyone following me.

I take a bunch of supplements, some unproven, and it's probably just making expensive pee. But if I could keep only one, it'd be caffeine.
Old 06-29-20, 11:53 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1722 Post(s)
Liked 1,272 Times in 734 Posts
FWIW....if I drink a lot of coffee my BP will be in the 160/100 range. No coffee and it's around 120/80.
Old 06-30-20, 02:09 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1063 Post(s)
Liked 771 Times in 499 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
Caffeine has quite a kick the first few times if you're not a regular drinker of coffee, etc. I remember buzzing like a hummingbird the first time I started drinking coffee in the Navy. But after a couple of weeks I barely noticed any effect. It still worked but was more subtle...........................
As a youngster I always enjoyed the smell of coffee while growing up but after having a sip I said NO WAY!!! will I drink this garbage. In 2015 at 65 still never having had a cup of coffee I tried a DOUBLE ESPRESSO and absolutely no reaction. Finished it and had another. Always have CLIF Shot Double Espresso 100mg caffeine gels on rides.

Last edited by OldTryGuy; 06-30-20 at 02:13 AM.
Old 07-06-20, 08:34 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1328 Post(s)
Liked 2,442 Times in 1,427 Posts
Caffeine works for me but too much makes me jittery and any after let’s say 2pm can impact my sleep. Genetics plays a role in caffeine metabolism. Genetically, I am a fast caffeine metabolized.

My research into caffeine and athletic performance indicates that studies have shown caffeine improves both aerobic and anaerobic capability. If one is interested search US NCBI data base for articles.

Whether it works for an individual is up for grabs as evidenced in the small sampling of posts here.

As for cheating, to cheat at something, one has to break a rule. Globaldro.com indicates for US athletes, USADA, that caffeine is not prohibited in or out of competition. For Switzerland, Globaldro.com does not indicate cycling as a sport of interest ,who knew, and lumps it with other sports and caffeine does not show up.

The fact that it is not on the WADA list is indicative that it may be inconclusive as to its performance enhancing ability or is harmful to athletes health. And it may be that it is so engrained in society in Europe and the US that putting it on the list would further limit anyone wanting to participate in the sport or be able to escape ingesting it. Hence one could never get a negative result.

TL;DR If you like coffee / caffeine drink it/use it if you think it adds value to your cycling.
Old 07-06-20, 11:06 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Originally Posted by rubiksoval
Excessive caffeine has done nothing but give me massive, debilitating cramps in longer races. Also doesn't seem very effective in shorter races.

The biggest difference I've found in "feel" has been from training during weight loss (so seemingly perpetually on the edge of a bonk) and then properly fueling and excessive consumption on the bike (especially with something like maltodextrin). Malto in the bottles after periods of training and weightloss feels like NOS.
My breakfast before hard rides is malto and whey protein, same for recovery drink if any, and my on-bike food is the same, but only 7/1 ratio on the bike. Yes, it's good fuel. Got the idea from Hammer - tried their product first, then made my own mix. 50# bags of malto from a homebrew wholsaler. Strength of mix depends on ride length, 750 calories/bottle for Serious Rides, extra powder in the saddle bag.
Old 07-06-20, 11:25 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Originally Posted by Hermes
Caffeine works for me but too much makes me jittery and any after let’s say 2pm can impact my sleep. Genetics plays a role in caffeine metabolism. Genetically, I am a fast caffeine metabolized.

My research into caffeine and athletic performance indicates that studies have shown caffeine improves both aerobic and anaerobic capability. If one is interested search US NCBI data base for articles.

Whether it works for an individual is up for grabs as evidenced in the small sampling of posts here.

As for cheating, to cheat at something, one has to break a rule. Globaldro.com indicates for US athletes, USADA, that caffeine is not prohibited in or out of competition. For Switzerland, Globaldro.com does not indicate cycling as a sport of interest ,who knew, and lumps it with other sports and caffeine does not show up.

The fact that it is not on the WADA list is indicative that it may be inconclusive as to its performance enhancing ability or is harmful to athletes health. And it may be that it is so engrained in society in Europe and the US that putting it on the list would further limit anyone wanting to participate in the sport or be able to escape ingesting it. Hence one could never get a negative result.

TL;DR If you like coffee / caffeine drink it/use it if you think it adds value to your cycling.
WADA has a maximum caffeine blood level, over that is a violation. Interestingly, that blood level is the same level at which caffeine ceases to be beneficial. I agree with the idea that it's legal because it's so ingrained in the culture and because it's not only harmless, but beneficial, and freely available to anyone, over the counter as it were, which is a hard combo for the cycling authorities to rule against. One of the benefits, and perhaps the major benefit, is that it improves the oxidation of fatty acids in the mitochondria, which is responsible for much of the improved performance. https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...28869X1200010X
Old 07-06-20, 11:34 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4746 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,510 Posts
I look at caffeine a s a drug. Read about it as such in 1977 when I was starting my most serious year of racing and put it and white surgar/sucrose on the forbidden list. (I took pride in riding clean and feeling clean.) At that time, I"d never had good coffee and my love for it aw years off.

About 6 weeks into the regime I tried some white sugar on a ride. Wow!. Yes, in my clean body, a true drug! Rush, perfornance increase for a few hours, then a crash to below where I started. Eye opener.

Now, that summer I did more than a few very long day rides. Two each of 160 and 175 miles. That first 175 was 25 more than planned (I got lost) and included a 2 mile steep climb just because "Oh, I am at the base of Pack Monadmock which I have seen many times fror its big sister but never climbed". With 50 miles to go, I was running low on gas. Stopped at a fast food and had a cup of black coffee with 2 packs of sugar. Rocket fuel. Got me all the way home.

Now I drink a powerful cup of Italian coffee every morning. (Italian brew, American cup.) A cup of drip coffee still has real effect on me (drip coffee - what an efficient way to extract caffeine from the bean and inject it into our system!) but nowhere near what that cup did years ago.

Ben
Old 07-06-20, 12:10 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1328 Post(s)
Liked 2,442 Times in 1,427 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
WADA has a maximum caffeine blood level, over that is a violation. Interestingly, that blood level is the same level at which caffeine ceases to be beneficial. I agree with the idea that it's legal because it's so ingrained in the culture and because it's not only harmless, but beneficial, and freely available to anyone, over the counter as it were, which is a hard combo for the cycling authorities to rule against. One of the benefits, and perhaps the major benefit, is that it improves the oxidation of fatty acids in the mitochondria, which is responsible for much of the improved performance. https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...28869X1200010X
Go to globaldro.com which is the global website that allows one to look up countries, athlete type, sport and then the drug. It incorporates WADA. Caffeine is not a banned substance and is allowed in and out of competition. It used to have a limit. You can also check, which I did, WADA 2020 list and search caffeine. Globaldro always carries foot notes such as blood levels and notes such as whether injection is okay or not. Infusion is always prohibited unless administered in a hospital setting after being admitted.

Caffeine is in the footnotes as shown below.

Bupropion, caffeine, nicotine, phenylephrine, phenylpropanolamine, pipradrol, and synephrine: These substances are included in the 2020 Monitoring Program, and are not considered Prohibited Substances.
Old 07-06-20, 12:35 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Originally Posted by Hermes
Go to globaldro.com which is the global website that allows one to look up countries, athlete type, sport and then the drug. It incorporates WADA. Caffeine is not a banned substance and is allowed in and out of competition. It used to have a limit. You can also check, which I did, WADA 2020 list and search caffeine. Globaldro always carries foot notes such as blood levels and notes such as whether injection is okay or not. Infusion is always prohibited unless administered in a hospital setting after being admitted.

Caffeine is in the footnotes as shown below.

Bupropion, caffeine, nicotine, phenylephrine, phenylpropanolamine, pipradrol, and synephrine: These substances are included in the 2020 Monitoring Program, and are not considered Prohibited Substances.
Thanks. I see that they stopped the ban entirely in 2004. Surprisingly to me, they also stopped the ban on pseudoephedrine. High urine levels of caffeine are still banned by the NCAA.
Old 07-06-20, 10:49 PM
gios

Bikes: 2021 Litespeed T5 105, 1990 Gios Compact Pro 105

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 182 Posts
By the time I ride in the morning, I've had at least 5 hours of caffeine half life.

Old 07-10-20, 01:12 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4389 Post(s)
Liked 4,501 Times in 3,013 Posts
No comment until I have had 3 cups of coffee.
Likes For Hondo Gravel:
Old 08-01-20, 08:41 AM
Mulberry20

Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 136 Posts
Caffeine is even more effective when combined with citrulline. Most legit pre work out mixes have both. Citrulline relaxes your circulatory system and increases blood flow.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.