Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Why is Rapha so divisive?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 07-22-20, 08:28 AM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts

After a ride last night I was at a craft brewery with some riding colleagues. I casually mentioned I was looking for a new cycling kit and asked if anyone had experience with Rapha. Wow. What a grenade that turned out to be.

Comments went from "Meh, their gear is more style based than function" to "great kit, super comfortable" to "super expensive, there's cheaper and better stuff out there" to "only hipsters and wanna-bees ride their gear". I did a quick google around the interwebs afterward and it seems as though the comments from last night are echoed around the web.

Why the dislike for Rapha? Isn't their gear good quality? And should I let these comments/thought influence my decision on purchasing Rapha?
Old 07-22-20, 08:37 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by NoWhammies

Why the dislike for Rapha? Isn't their gear good quality? And should I let these comments/thought influence my decision on purchasing Rapha?
Have you looked at their website? It's pretty obvious why it's so divisive. They seem to want it that way.

They make quality stuff. Buy it if you like the image they are going for.
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 07-22-20, 08:52 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3182 Post(s)
Liked 2,460 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
Have you looked at their website? It's pretty obvious why it's so divisive. They seem to want it that way.

They make quality stuff. Buy it if you like the image they are going for.
This. It's up to you to decide if it's the gear for you.
Old 07-22-20, 09:17 AM
billridesbikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 250 Posts
I bought my Rapha jersey at the London Soho store when I was visiting England a couple years ago because the price in pounds seems lower than dollars... ahaha

I never knew how good jerseys and under layers could be until I tried Rapha. My jersey is a ‘classic’ one and is very comfortable and very functional.

People who disparage brands generally say things like: “it’s stuff no one needs”, “it’s overpriced”, and “soulless” but if you dig deeper they have no experience with the product from the brand or even been to the brand’s stores. My guess is they say these things because their friends say it and they think it’s what they’re supposed to say, but have little actual knowledge to back it up.

Some people are just looking for any reason to be angry. I know an Aldi hater who refuses to shop there because she has to bring her own bags.
Likes For billridesbikes:
Old 07-22-20, 09:25 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2964 Post(s)
Liked 1,159 Times in 758 Posts
Originally Posted by NoWhammies

Comments went from "Meh, their gear is more style based than function" to "great kit, super comfortable" to "super expensive, there's cheaper and better stuff out there" to "only hipsters and wanna-bees ride their gear". I did a quick google around the interwebs afterward and it seems as though the comments from last night are echoed around the web.
Your buddies were right. It is overpriced.

And why do we have to say "cycling kit". Hate that. How about just saying jersey and shorts?

Do you get up in the morning and get dressed for work and say that you are putting on your work kit?
Likes For prj71:
Old 07-22-20, 09:29 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 10069 Post(s)
Liked 5,753 Times in 3,092 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
And why do we have to say "cycling kit". Hate that. How about just saying jersey and shorts?
God, I hate that too. I like "cycling costume."

Cheers, mate.
Old 07-22-20, 09:31 AM
InvertedMP 

Bikes: 2021 Scott Addict RC 20

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked 269 Times in 104 Posts
I absolutely love my Rapha gear. I have several jerseys and shorts, and it is really all I wear. The stuff is quality and I honestly don't understand the divisive nature people take with Rapha. Is Rapha any different than Assos? You know from a mile away If somebody is wearing Assos or Rapha, but at least their designs are original. To me, it beats seeing people dressing as giant green highlighters, and it beats seeing USPS team jerseys (which I still see daily).
Old 07-22-20, 09:35 AM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3211 Post(s)
Liked 2,028 Times in 964 Posts
Their Core line is anything but overpriced. I find the jerseys to be high quality and like the solid color with a white stripe on the arm band. I’m not exactly how something so simple can be divisive. It’s probably more a case of who it is marketed to rather than the look/construction of the clothing.
Likes For phrantic09:
Old 07-22-20, 09:36 AM
diphthong

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1616 Post(s)
Liked 3,072 Times in 1,664 Posts
popcorn with butter for this thread
Likes For diphthong:
Old 07-22-20, 09:39 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
I can’t imagine being so insecure as to worry whether my kit brand offends another cyclist. It’d be like worrying if someone cared I was on a Cervélo instead of a Trek.
Old 07-22-20, 09:40 AM
InvertedMP 

Bikes: 2021 Scott Addict RC 20

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked 269 Times in 104 Posts
Originally Posted by phrantic09
Their Core line is anything but overpriced. I find the jerseys to be high quality and like the solid color with a white stripe on the arm band. I’m not exactly how something so simple can be divisive. It’s probably more a case of who it is marketed to rather than the look/construction of the clothing.

Yea I really don't get what is so divisive about the jerseys. They are simple and IMHO, subtle. Maybe because it isn't a team kit and people that love team kits think the jerseys look weird? I really don't get it.
Old 07-22-20, 09:41 AM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1191 Post(s)
Liked 1,257 Times in 643 Posts
Originally Posted by ooga-booga
popcorn with butter for this thread
Grab an XL Coke with that order because I advocate for riding in a full US Postal Kit complete with gloves and socks.
Likes For Atlas Shrugged:
Old 07-22-20, 09:48 AM
atwl77
Kamen Rider

Bikes: Fuji Transonic Elite, Marechal Soul Ultimate, Dahon Dash Altena

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 164 Posts
It's divisive just like any other divisive product or brand... Canon vs Nikon, full frame vs Micro Four Thirds, Leica vs everyone else, Mac vs PC, Android vs iOS, etc.

Who cares what others think, as long as the product you use fits your needs well.
Likes For atwl77:
Old 07-22-20, 09:50 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
It’d be like worrying if someone cared I was on a Cervélo instead of a Trek.
Are you a dentist?
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 07-22-20, 09:51 AM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71

Because we're not playing basketball or soccer?
Likes For rubiksoval:
Old 07-22-20, 09:53 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6866 Post(s)
Liked 10,828 Times in 4,621 Posts
Look at their website: Rapha's marketing is a bit over-the-top, with lots of flowery verbiage about "the glory of suffering" and all that. And it is relatively expensive at full price. All of this encourages the haters.

However, I've bought all of my Rapha gear in their "Archive Sale" section (or with other promotions) -- and at those prices, it has all been very good value: truly excellent gear at very competitive prices.

As a bonus, their customer service is excellent. During the pandemic, I had an issue with a pair of Specialized bibs, and getting it resolved was very challenging - they have practically quit doing CS. And their resolution was only so-so. I also accidentally snagged a Rapha jersey on something in my garage and put a little tear in it, and so subsequently sent in a few photos with their online repair request form. They wrote back very quickly that they could not repair the jersey, but gave me a $95 credit (half the cost of a new identical jersey). Here's the kicker: I had bought the jersey on sale for only $95...And the local seamstress fixed the jersey for $8. So, I still have $95 to spend at Rapha.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 07-22-20, 09:55 AM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Rapha's speedsuit: $285. Castelli's speedsuit: $400.

Bargain!
Likes For rubiksoval:
Old 07-22-20, 09:58 AM
seypat

I would guess it's some combination of marketing, image and price. It reminds me of the great MEILENSTEIN LIGHTWEIGHT WHEELS debate. If you have the coin, what's the problem? It's your money, do with it what you wish. Same conundrum that is in this clip. Warning, there is some strong language there.

Old 07-22-20, 10:00 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
Are you a dentist?
No, and I don’t worry about that, either.
Old 07-22-20, 10:01 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,566 Times in 973 Posts
So, what image are they going for exactly? Please provide some screenshots of adverts or product descriptions in which you feel slighted by the wrong image.

To be fair, instead of assuming, I went to the website. I clicked through some products. I read the descriptions and took note of the prices. I watched a few adverts and looked at their pictures.

I saw nothing that would lead me to believe they're trying to intentionally create a culture to exclude people.

Their prices for their basic bib shorts were actually in-line with the entry level Castelli and other good quality bib shorts or jerseys. Just because a person's budget is below that, doesn't mean anything. It is what it is.

I chalk this one up to "hate on the guy driving a Porsche, he must be a horrible person".
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 07-22-20, 10:08 AM
seypat

Originally Posted by burnthesheep
So, what image are they going for exactly? Please provide some screenshots of adverts or product descriptions in which you feel slighted by the wrong image.

To be fair, instead of assuming, I went to the website. I clicked through some products. I read the descriptions and took note of the prices. I watched a few adverts and looked at their pictures.

I saw nothing that would lead me to believe they're trying to intentionally create a culture to exclude people.

Their prices for their basic bib shorts were actually in-line with the entry level Castelli and other good quality bib shorts or jerseys. Just because a person's budget is below that, doesn't mean anything. It is what it is.

I chalk this one up to "hate on the guy driving a Porsche, he must be a horrible person".
Likes For seypat:
Old 07-22-20, 10:14 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 18269 Post(s)
Liked 15,185 Times in 7,172 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep

Yeah. As far as I know, anyone can visit a Rapha “Club House.”

And I love my Rapha wool base layer.
Old 07-22-20, 10:23 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,566 Times in 973 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
Ok, explain how you don't want to be a part of that group of individuals or find that offensive.

If we go for race or another protected (or even non protected 'class'), be prepared to demonize the rest of the cycling industry.

Be the director, the camera is rolling...........make me an advertisement for quality cycling clothing. Go....
Old 07-22-20, 10:28 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6866 Post(s)
Liked 10,828 Times in 4,621 Posts
I'll bet that most of the Rapha haters have never even tried the stuff - but, based solely on the marketing, they hate it. The Rapha fans, on the other hand, have actually worn the stuff before making decisions.

So, who is more susceptible to marketing?
Likes For Koyote:
Old 07-22-20, 10:31 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10873 Post(s)
Liked 7,354 Times in 4,125 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
What is divisive about that marketing though? A group of guys take a couple days and eat greasy food while burning thousands of calories in search of incredible views. That doesnt seem divisive/elitist.

Ive seen that video before and always chuckle at how seemingly random the helmet wearing is(since they climb both ways), like the bottle spin cuz its cool, and am amazed they only show about 8 seconds of descent compared to a few minutes of climbing and flat riding in a 4 minute advert showing mountain riding.

I dont own Rapha stuff, no interest in paying for it, but if I found what I do wear to be lacking then yeah sure I would consider Rapha because much of it is simple. It is the anti-Primal, really.
Likes For mstateglfr:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.