Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Kinetic Smart Control power unit failures

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-20, 02:18 PM
bmcer

Bikes: Full campy Record EPS BMC Team Machine slr01, Canyon CF SL 8.0 Endurance

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 66 Posts

Yes, that's "failures", as in more than one. The beginning of this year, I bought a Kurt Kinetic Control Road Machine "smart" trainer. I got about 3 weeks use out of it when the PCB board the power source plugs into failed. No green light upon power up and no start up sounds from the unit. I filed a warranty claim and they sent me a new board. Once I installed it, things seemed to be working again. Until, that is, two days ago, when the unit went dead again. Pulled the case apart and found that the socket that the power cord plugs into had separated from the rest of the board.

I've filed yet another warranty claim, but at this point, I'm serious considering asking for a refund. 2 failures of the same component just a bit more than 6 months of gentle use makes me think I ought to look into some other brand of trainer to use with Zwift. Don't feel like I can trust Kurt's QA and/or design any more.

Has anyone else encountered the same problem? Any recommendations for another trainer that'll work with Zwift?

Last edited by bmcer; 07-26-20 at 02:20 PM. Reason: Asking for recomendations
Old 07-27-20, 07:24 AM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
I would go for a whole new unit or refund at this point! I have the same machine and its been flawless...love mine. Sorry your having trouble. I wonder if its got rona? lol...I would see what they are willing to do though.
Old 07-27-20, 11:01 AM
bmcer

So far, this hasn't been a stellar customer service experience. Kurt's customer service phone has been off line for several days now, and the email response I did get requested a copy of the receipt (no problem) and a picture of the power cord (I have NO idea why), but made no commitment. The last time this happened, about 5 months ago, it was one phone call and a replacement PCB board arrived 2 days later. Different story this time.
Likes For bmcer:
Old 07-27-20, 12:58 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

they are made in the republic of MN with all the political and COVID issues in that state I would bet the responses are delayed!
Old 07-27-20, 02:09 PM
bmcer

Originally Posted by sdmc530
they are made in the republic of MN with all the political and COVID issues in that state I would bet the responses are delayed!
Things are a unstable everywhere these days between politics and disease, and I understand the toll it takes. I did get a timely response to the email I sent with the invoice and the pic of the power cord. However, the person on the other end somehow thought the power cord was the problem and said he couldn't see anything wrong with it. Well hello, I clearly stated it was the PCB board that failed last time and THIS time. I responded to that message with a note making it crystal clear that the power cord is fine. I'd checked it's output. And that it was the PCB board that was somehow compromised. Still waiting on a response.
Likes For bmcer:
Old 07-27-20, 03:53 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Originally Posted by bmcer
Things are a unstable everywhere these days between politics and disease, and I understand the toll it takes. I did get a timely response to the email I sent with the invoice and the pic of the power cord. However, the person on the other end somehow thought the power cord was the problem and said he couldn't see anything wrong with it. Well hello, I clearly stated it was the PCB board that failed last time and THIS time. I responded to that message with a note making it crystal clear that the power cord is fine. I'd checked it's output. And that it was the PCB board that was somehow compromised. Still waiting on a response.
I hear the frustration! I get it, feel for you. I broke my adjustment knob on my first trainer, the green tension knob and they said I installed in wrong?! I was like WTF its a threaded bolt, they said did you grease it. I said your directions did not say to do that. I got a replacement after that. LOL....made me laugh after it was all done.
Likes For sdmc530:
Old 07-27-20, 04:38 PM
bmcer

When the board went south the first time, they told me the power jack on the board was a known problem. Advise use a switched power strip to plug the power cord into with nothing else plugged into the strip, turn the resistance unit on/off using the power strip switch exclusively, to only turn the trainer on when in use, and finally, to avoid plugging an unplugging the resistance unit as much as possible. That was in February this year, and I've followed those instructions rigorously since. Then we started getting weather that made the garage where I was set up way too hot to train in. So, with fear and trepidation, I carefully, gently, unplugged first the power strip, then ever so gently I unplugged the power jack, and tip-toes the whole mess into my den. Once settled, I revered the process with equal care. And... nothing. No green light, no startup sounds, nothing. And right about now, I'm getting the same from Kinetic's CS.
Old 08-01-20, 09:51 AM
bmcer

So it's been almost 2 weeks since I first brought this issue to the attention of Kurt Kinetic's customer service department. To date, the problem remains unresolved. It took almost a week to get the customer service people to "send" a replacement PCB board, and so far the package has not yet been received by USPS. At least that's what USPS tracking says. Somebody created a shipping label 3 days ago, and nothing since.

I know Kinetic enjoys a good reputation, but as of today, it'll be a very chilly day in hell before I buy another product from them.
Old 08-19-20, 05:05 AM
Buckosboots

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, that's "failures", as in more than one. The beginning of this year, I bought a Kurt Kinetic Control Road Machine "smart" trainer. I got about 3 weeks use out of it when the PCB board the power source plugs into failed. No green light upon power up and no start up sounds from the unit. I filed a warranty claim and they sent me a new board. Once I installed it, things seemed to be working again. Until, that is, two days ago, when the unit went dead again. Pulled the case apart and found that the socket that the power cord plugs into had separated from the rest of the board.

I've filed yet another warranty claim, but at this point, I'm serious considering asking for a refund. 2 failures of the same component just a bit more than 6 months of gentle use makes me think I ought to look into some other brand of trainer to use with Zwift. Don't feel like I can trust Kurt's QA and/or design any more.

Has anyone else encountered the same problem? Any recommendations for another trainer that'll work with Zwift?
Same issues and similar poor service. Used the trainer for 6-7 weeks (2-3 times per week) and then the weather improved and lockdown kicked in so road riding was bliss. Went back to the trainer 8 weeks later and it was dead (power board failure). Initially Kinetic were very supportive, email comms was quick. Checked purchase/receipt and then asked for address to send replacement power board to. Since then absolutely nothing. No communication, no response to emails and obviously no replacement product. Incredibly disappointing. Surely as a a company they realise that positive feedback/social media posts is critical for them? VERY VERY disappointing from Kinetic.
Old 08-19-20, 12:24 PM
bmcer

Originally Posted by Buckosboots
Same issues and similar poor service. Used the trainer for 6-7 weeks (2-3 times per week) and then the weather improved and lockdown kicked in so road riding was bliss. Went back to the trainer 8 weeks later and it was dead (power board failure). Initially Kinetic were very supportive, email comms was quick. Checked purchase/receipt and then asked for address to send replacement power board to. Since then absolutely nothing. No communication, no response to emails and obviously no replacement product. Incredibly disappointing. Surely as a a company they realise that positive feedback/social media posts is critical for them? VERY VERY disappointing from Kinetic.
Well the replacement PCB board finally arrived here yesterday. Almost 4 weeks after bring the issue to Kinetic's attention. It's not possible for me to determine who is responsible for the shipping delay, but even if it all on USPS, it still took Kinetic 3 weeks to honor their warranty. Just to ad insult to injury, the board came with a rather snarky note advising me that they would not replace "abused" equipment in the future.

Indoor bike trainers are a niche market serving a tight knit community. I'd think they'd be more aware of the negative effect incidents like this have on their share of a small market even in these difficult times.

Meantime, I'll continue to use this trainer until the PCB craps out again. Then I'll replace it with something from another vendor.
Likes For bmcer:
Old 01-30-21, 09:55 AM
TyziskBen

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've started having similar issues with my Kinetic Rock and Roll | Control Bike Trainer. The control unit will intermittently turn off during my rides (which is infuriating). If I unplug the power cord and plug it back in, it will turn back on. Sometimes it will stay on throughout the rest of my ride, but other times it will turn back off after several minutes. Sounds like a problem with the PCB, as you mentioned. Definitely not a problem with the power cord since that stays powered (green light on) throughout.
Old 01-31-21, 12:24 PM
bmcer

So it appears I'm not alone. I did a "postmortem" on the failed card, and found that the power input socket is fixed to the board by 2 small prongs soldered to it. The socket itself is elevated above the board by a couple millimeters making it very susceptible to any stress placed on it by the power cord. There's also a fuse that fails the smoke test at a bit over half an amp. Now I'm no EE, but that sure looks like a recipe for failure to me. The replacement board Kinetic sent me has the exact same "features", so I'm none too optimistic about it's long term survival either. So I bit the bullet and bought a new Tacx Flux 2 which functions much better and appears far more robust. I'd like to find someway to recoup my loss on the Kinetic trainer, but I just don't have the cheek to sell it off to some unsuspecting stranger. So I've got a $400 green door stop.
Old 01-31-21, 12:39 PM
TyziskBen

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So, is the fail point the fuse itself, or are the solder points weak and causing the fuse to break off?

I need to open mine up and check as well. I feel like, since I'm getting intermittent power loss, and then it's coming back on, that it's more of a connectivity issue. Possible a point is losing contact, I adjust the power cord and it hits it at a spot that allows a better connection, then it stays on.

I'd have no issue reselling yours if there's a warranty that comes with the replacement PCB that they sent. It's hard to fathom why it would be so difficult to build a reliable pcb.

I reached out to Kurt with my unit's serial number, too, and asked them to advise. Will let you know what I hear.
Old 02-27-21, 02:48 PM
Orlab

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
He

HELP PLEASE!!!!
My Kurt Kinetic t-7000 has stopped working. It makes a low humming sound, not the fan like sound it usually makes when turned on and the resistance is extremely high and doesn't coinside with any apps. I have updated the firmware. I have tried to run a calibration test in the kinetic app but the resistance is too hard to pedal. It is pairing fine with the Kinetic app and Rouvy app and I can't seem to solve the problem! Can anyone help me resolve this issue?
Old 12-13-21, 07:42 AM
rukness

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
fuse location

So it appears I'm not alone. I did a "postmortem" on the failed card, and found that the power input socket is fixed to the board by 2 small prongs soldered to it. The socket itself is elevated above the board by a couple millimeters making it very susceptible to any stress placed on it by the power cord. There's also a fuse that fails the smoke test at a bit over half an amp. Now I'm no EE, but that sure looks like a recipe for failure to me. The replacement board Kinetic sent me has the exact same "features", so I'm none too optimistic about it's long term survival either. So I bit the bullet and bought a new Tacx Flux 2 which functions much better and appears far more robust. I'd like to find someway to recoup my loss on the Kinetic trainer, but I just don't have the cheek to sell it off to some unsuspecting stranger. So I've got a $400 green door stop.

I'm having the same issue except it is not the input jack. I believe it might be surface mounted fuse. Where and what is the label of the fuse? Thanks
Old 03-13-22, 08:01 AM
bcpjeff

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have had the same problem with my power port failing. My machine is our off warranty. What with back and forth emails, it took a week to receive a new power port for the cost of under $30. I installed it and the trainer seemed to work well. Kinetic support suggested that I leave the power cord plugged into the power and disconnect a the wall plug on install a power strip inline. However, I started losing connection and found that the power seems to short in some positions, so I taped it in a loop to the trainer body and it has worked well through 2 sessions. I have emailed support for the cost of a new power cord. I think the frequent plugging and unplugging at the power port damage both the port and the cord. I am following the advice of leaving the connection at the power port plugged in permanently.