Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Measuring Lever Position for Drop Bars

Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Old 07-31-20, 11:16 AM
cyclic_eric

Bikes: 1984 Gitane TdF, 1986 Look Équipe, 1983 Colnago Super

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 79 Posts

I purchased a used handlebar (3T Ergonova) that is due to arrive next week. How do you locate and adjust the lever positions?
I find that moving the levers on the bars by a millimeter or two changes my sense of the bike significantly. So typical manufacturer's marks often seem insufficient.

So I had an idea... what if I find two flexible adhesive rulers, and tape them on the left and right sides, starting at the bar ends? Have you tried this? Or something similar?

Here's what I've found so far:
Link to Amazon 1/4" wide Metal Ruler

Link to Amazon 1/2" wide Polyester Ruler
Old 07-31-20, 12:06 PM
mack_turtle
n00b

Bikes: Surly Karate Monkey, Twin Six Standard Rando

Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 273 Posts
I set the bike up in a trainer with the hoods just loose enough that they can be moved around by hand. move them around while pedaling on the trainer until you find the position you like. tighten one of the levers. I use a flexible ruler to measure from the bottom of the lever body, around the radius of the bar to the end of the bar. note the distance and duplicate it on the other side. that seems to be what you're going for.

you can also get them about where you want them, then check them for even-ness by laying a long, rigid item like a level or a yardstick on top of the hoods. eyeball the tool to see if it's parallel with the top of the bar. adjust until the tool is parallel with the top of the bar. I find the former method to be more precise.
Old 07-31-20, 12:12 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
I eyeball it. Every time. A tape measure is very accurate-- and I can all but guarantee that my arms aren't even the same length. I know for a fact my opposing fingers aren't the same lengths. Human bodies are not precisely built.

How even or level the hoods are makes no difference at all, AFAIC. It needs to fit, not be an absolute measurement.
Old 07-31-20, 12:21 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4746 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,510 Posts
Easy. I go for a ride before I tape the handlebar. (I just tape the cable down with electrical tape.) Bering the tools to adjust stem height, bar rotation and the brake lever clamp. Stop and adjust as needed. My hands will tell me what they like. After a couple of rides and the levers feel dialed in, I tape the bars from the bottom with cloth tape - so I can easliy unwrap ti the levers, move them and re-tape - as many times as I want. When that tape wears out, i put the good stuff on, knowing the levers are "right".

What other people think of my lever position is none of my (G** d***ed) bvusiness! I have to live with the consequences of hand issues if I get it wrong.

Ben
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 07-31-20, 06:38 PM
cyclic_eric

Ben and DrIsotope, your humor is much appreciated!
I've tried combinations of each suggested method. I must admit, DrIsotope gets at the real issue - being overly concerned with perfection, while having arm and leg lengths that are nowhere near symmetric, and continually changing.
Cheers y'all.
Old 08-07-20, 12:03 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Wink

BITD, we put a straight edge on the bottom of the drop bar,(which was straight),
then the lower tip of the brake lever touched that straight edge..

Old 08-07-20, 08:01 PM
cyclic_eric

I still love those days... get my Cinelli 1A on there and I'll be all set... I swear it wasn't that long ago.

Now I had to go and get a plastic bike, jeez
Old 08-09-20, 10:07 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
I think that there are still straight sections at the bottom of those bars, so measuring from that plane to the tips of the levers works.
Likes For woodcraft:
Old 08-14-20, 05:03 PM
BoraxKid

Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 72 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Easy. I go for a ride before I tape the handlebar. (I just tape the cable down with electrical tape.) Bering the tools to adjust stem height, bar rotation and the brake lever clamp. Stop and adjust as needed. My hands will tell me what they like. After a couple of rides and the levers feel dialed in, I tape the bars from the bottom with cloth tape - so I can easliy unwrap ti the levers, move them and re-tape - as many times as I want. When that tape wears out, i put the good stuff on, knowing the levers are "right".

What other people think of my lever position is none of my (G** d***ed) bvusiness! I have to live with the consequences of hand issues if I get it wrong.

Ben
This was pretty sensible advice, but I'm not in the habit of bringing a bike stand, torque wrench, and other accoutrement necessary to change my stem height. That adjustment can wait until I'm back home. However, I definitely have done a few rides with a T-handle in my jersey pocket and no tape on the bars. It's pretty easy to move the brake levers during a mid-ride stop, but I'm not about to risk dropping my torque wrench or losing a 1 mm spacer from my steerer!
Old 08-14-20, 06:37 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4746 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,510 Posts
Originally Posted by BoraxKid
This was pretty sensible advice, but I'm not in the habit of bringing a bike stand, torque wrench, and other accoutrement necessary to change my stem height. That adjustment can wait until I'm back home. However, I definitely have done a few rides with a T-handle in my jersey pocket and no tape on the bars. It's pretty easy to move the brake levers during a mid-ride stop, but I'm not about to risk dropping my torque wrench or losing a 1 mm spacer from my steerer!
Ah, but they invented quill stems just to make that easy! 5 and 6mm Allen keys. Torque wrench? Nothing there even cares.

All but one of my bikes has been steel steered, threaded and quilled. So, so simple. Nothing critical. Too loose on the quill bolts? OK, so yu hit a bump and the handlebar rotates down. Too tight? Well loosening it with a small wrench is going to be a b****, I put on a brand new (29 yo) gem of a stem the other day. Got to the high point of the shakedown ride, stopped for other reasons and my bars were aimed down about 30 degrees! OK, so that bolt needs to be tighter. Pulled out the key and tightened it.

I know. I"m a dinosaur in a world that has changed. But the ability to just go ride and tweak - that just doesn't seem to me to be much to ask. In fact, as an engineer, I'd say it should be a design requirement.

Ben
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 08-14-20, 09:31 PM
cyclic_eric

Having the skills to develop a reasonable sense of proper torque may require being around since the days of dinosaurs. Even with titanium and carbon, I believe with a little care you can torque close enough for a test ride.
Old 08-15-20, 11:09 AM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 1,254 Times in 724 Posts
As long as you have a threadless steerer, and your stem has a removable clamp, you can get one lever set up where you feel you want it, then put the other lever on, loosely, and set the bar on a table top, having the bar right side up, so the drops are on the table, to get it into the same position. The table will contact the bar, and the end of the lever you installed first, move the second lever until the bar doesn't rock. Tighten, then install the bar on the bike.
Likes For phughes:
Old 08-15-20, 12:37 PM
RockiesDad

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 17 Posts
My take is don't add bar tape till the end. What I like to do first is to set the bar up to where its most comfortable while riding in the drops. Next is to move the brake levers to a spot where they sort of level. Then go for a ride to and do minor adjustments to find the most optimal location for the most comfort. Before taping you might want to check the location of the levers by either measuring them from the bar ends or looking at the marks on the bars if they print them there. Next adding or subtracting spacers under the stem is another trial and error kind of thing. Comfort is king...
Likes For RockiesDad:
Old 08-15-20, 05:25 PM
cyclic_eric

Originally Posted by phughes
As long as you have a threadless steerer, and your stem has a removable clamp, you can get one lever set up where you feel you want it, then put the other lever on, loosely, and set the bar on a table top, having the bar right side up, so the drops are on the table, to get it into the same position. The table will contact the bar, and the end of the lever you installed first, move the second lever until the bar doesn't rock. Tighten, then install the bar on the bike.
OMFG, that is so brilliant I can't wait to try it. The cables will be cumbersome of course, if you're trying to keep them connected.

Likes For cyclic_eric:
Old 08-15-20, 07:31 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 1,254 Times in 724 Posts
[QUOTE=cyclic_eric;21643067]OMFG, that is so brilliant I can't wait to try it. The cables will be cumbersome of course, if you're trying to keep them connected.

/QUOTE]

Yeah, it works best when you are installing it all fresh, with no cables.
Old 08-16-20, 03:55 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1103 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
I user a tailor's tape to follow the bars from the ends to the bottom of the levers. Then, as mentioned, my first ride is without bar tape and I make the final adjustments according to feel.