Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Centurion Serial Number Database

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Centurion Serial Number Database

Old 02-27-06, 03:48 PM
cuda2k
Unique Vintage Steel

Bikes: Kirk Frameworks JKS-C, Serotta Nova, Gazelle AB-Frame, Fuji Team Issue, Surly Straggler

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
The Cinelli manufactured model was the Equipe. It was produced only for 1985. However, it was not all Campagnolo. While the derailleurs were Campagnolo Nuovo Record, it used an Ofmega Mistral crankset and Universal AER brakeset. Still, a very nice bicycle.
And that folks is why we always go calling to T-Mar for information on the most obscure of bikes.

This is a great thread with a ton of great looking bikes in it. I first ran across the Centurion name when I saw an Ironman Expert on ebay local for $5.00. It was too small for me, but it ended up in the hands of my co-worker. We spent the next several weeks sanding, removing rust (had been a wind trainer bike) and repainting before building it up. Soon after I found the Centurion I posted about earlier that became my Barracuda Mk.I. I rode the bike yesterday, and even for one of their lower level frames it does ride quite well indeed.
Old 02-27-06, 04:01 PM
Patriot
Faith-Vigilance-Service

Bikes: Trinity, Paradisus, Centurion, Mongoose, Trek

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ok, I'll chime in.

- 1989 Centurion Ironman Expert.
- Frame- Lugged steel, Tange #1 tubing. Serial #: N9E6186.
- Gruppo- Suntour GPX 7spd.
-Wheels- Araya 36F/36R rims w/Suntour GPX hubs.
- Sakae bars.
- LaParade Seatpost.
- Avenir saddle.
- Tange headset.
- Custom 125mm stem.

These are old pics. The bike has been completely stripped, and is currently being repainted and overhauled with a new Campy Veloce group.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
C6.JPG (68.5 KB, 479 views)
C7.JPG (93.3 KB, 493 views)
C21.JPG (90.7 KB, 485 views)
Old 03-04-06, 07:29 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Originally Posted by PuttPutt
I have a Centurion Lemans RS (Japan) - Serial# Kl 590409
All red w/white seat tube and head tube insert (red lugs).
Tange 2 DB tubes
Shimano Light Action 6 speed rear - Shimano FD and Shimano DT shifters
Araya gold (or bronze) anodized 700c on Suzie (red banded) hubs
Sake fluted seat post
Crankset is Sugino GP130 (triple wo/the granny ring)
Brakes are Dia-Compe
HB is Winpisia / Kusuki
Centurion "Anotomic" saddle
BB center to top of seat tube is 53.3 cm
Look pedals

Bike looks original and overall condition is nice to very nice. Unfortunately, I can't ride it 'cause of health issues.
Interesting, a new serial number format for a Japanese manufactured model. Based on the components, it should be 1986 or 1987. The Look pedals are non-original.
Old 03-11-06, 05:28 PM
5 more
just 5 more miles

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mid 80's (?) Time Machine, Shimano SLR brakes, white brake hoods, Shimano 1055 cranks with Bio Pace, Tange CroMo Infinity frame, 6 speed double, white to turquios fade paint, 700c rims. Serial # 805 0259 on the BB.

Had it painted 2 years ago but (DOH!!) didn't take pics of original paint. I love this bike. When you get out the saddle she jumps. I found Yoda, her nickname, at the recycling yard for $5. It now has a mix of Shimano 105 and RX100 parts.

Thanks for info you have collected.

5 more
Old 03-13-06, 11:23 PM
RoboCheme

Bikes: 2008 Cervelo RS, 2011 Scott CR1 Elite, 2014 Volagi Liscio

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've got a Centurion Comp TA, purchased on 9/16/84 for $465. Serial no. is probably N4K8201. It's got Shimano 600 components and Champion No. 2 tubing by Tange. Wheels are Araya. Handlebar is a "Sakae Custom Road Champion". It's got downtube friction shifters. Even back then I recognized my limitations and asked them to install a 14-28 cassette. I also remember how pissed I was that just a year later indexed shifting came out. I saw some post exclaiming the virtues of friction shifters, but I can't agree since I was constantly adjusting them until they weren't making a racket.

I use this bike on my trainer now. Are bikes like these worth anything?
Old 03-22-06, 06:47 PM
Lambo
Composed Mainly of Beer

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Centurion CompTA, Schwinn Mirada

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm very late to this thread, I know, but:

I also have a Comp TA.
It was $65.99 at Goodwill.
Serial no. 4F0961.
Shimano 600 brakes, crankset, headset, and derailleurs.
Campy Record hubs with 36 hole mavic tubular rims.
Tange Champion No. 2
Silver with purple head tube and purple graphics.
Look pedals, since replaced.
Sakae Custom bar and stem
Bernard Hinault Turbo saddle
it evidently belonged to a GI as it has a Fort Shafter Hawaii
bicycle license sticker on it. How it got to Austin I don't know.
My Surly's serial no. is m0120327

Last edited by Lambo; 05-26-10 at 05:06 PM. Reason: putting serial no. on the web incase of theft
Old 03-22-06, 09:45 PM
Jjeff

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi
just saw this thread.

I have a 25" Centurion Lemans. I bought it used in about 1981, possibly as late as 83.
It is metallic greenish gray all tubes the same color with red lines around the lugs and a red and blue pin stripe on the top tube and the fork
label says
"Tange 3 main tube butted
1.2mm/0.9mm
Hi Tension Steel
Made in Japan"

serial number is N8A1523

handlebar says "Winnpista"
brakes are Weimann 605
derailleur was (now single speed) Suntour VGT luxe #4532
cranks "Silstar"

done lots of commuting and still solid. but paint a mess

thanks for the interesting thread
Old 03-23-06, 11:34 AM
caferay

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for this thread. Mine is an Expert, white, fade to blue/gray smoke, with a full Suntour GPX group, Araya super hard rims and Avenir saddle. The 52cm frame is Tange 1; the fork is Tange cromo, with a Tange Levin headset. The bb serial number is N9G6051 and under the downtube is affixed a small white sticker: "Exclusively Distributed by WSI, Camarillo, CA 93010." While I am no Expert myself, this seems to be a wonderful bike. It is lighter than many and seems quite quick. I appreciate that the frame does not rattle or vibrate in the least. I picked this up about 1 year ago on the Los Angeles Craigslist and paid $200.00 for it in very good condition. I am very pleased with the bike and a bit intrigued by road bike model / manufacturer histories and the culture in general. Now, if only I could get into better shape!?! Thanks again.
Old 03-23-06, 02:52 PM
swede

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My first submission ever!

I have been using an old (1978?) Centurion SuperLeMans as single speed commuter during some wintermonths here in Sweden. The bike was a gift from a colleuge at work a while ago. He had bought it some years ago. According to him it was originally bought in Italy.

Frame: Tange #1, pearlwhite with goldpaint edging along the lugs. Plain text "Centurion" in darkblue with tex "Super LeMans" on chainstay. Riveted Centurion badge. Fork, fully chromed, but with top paint, same as frame, forkends excluded

27"x1 1/4 " ARAYA-rims (Europe started using 700x20C around 1982, I think).
Dia-Compe breaks
Kashimax black suede saddle
SunTour BL derallieurs

SERIAL NUMBER: WAK04384V
Old 03-23-06, 03:18 PM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by swede
My first submission ever!

I have been using an old (1978?) Centurion SuperLeMans as single speed commuter during some wintermonths here in Sweden. The bike was a gift from a colleuge at work a while ago. He had bought it some years ago. According to him it was originally bought in Italy.

Frame: Tange #1, pearlwhite with goldpaint edging along the lugs. Plain text "Centurion" in darkblue with tex "Super LeMans" on chainstay. Riveted Centurion badge. Fork, fully chromed, but with top paint, same as frame, forkends excluded

27"x1 1/4 " ARAYA-rims (Europe started using 700x20C around 1982, I think).
Dia-Compe breaks
Kashimax black suede saddle
SunTour BL derallieurs

SERIAL NUMBER: WAK04384V
Interesting. The serial number would seem to imply 1970s, but the BL derailleurs were not available until 1981. Check the components for date codes using https://www.vintage-trek.com/component_dates.htm and see if things match.
Old 03-23-06, 04:02 PM
swede

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks T-Mar.
I will check it up during the weekend. The saddle is the only thing so far that I have found any date code on. "78" followed by all the months, and a mark for "Jun". I will also check the crankarms, for manufacturer and possible date code. My bike has "Centurion" engraved, or rather punched, at the handle bar stem (Pics will follow as soon as I figure out how put them in my reply), wich I can´t recall I have seen that often.

As you know for sure, Centurion´s are still aviable in Scandinavia, i presume with Denmark as home base (but of course Asian made). Along with Nishiki they seem to have a good reputation for their hybrid and sport bikes, unfortually mostly alloy frames.
Old 03-25-06, 02:43 AM
swede

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
Interesting. The serial number would seem to imply 1970s, but the BL derailleurs were not available until 1981. Check the components for date codes using https://www.vintage-trek.com/component_dates.htm and see if things match.
Further check on the cranks: Sugino Super Maxy, code A-7 indicates July 1981

SunTour BL code XA indicates January 1981 (I thought "BL" stood for "blue line" and the body was supposed to be blue but mine is black!)
Old 03-25-06, 09:10 AM
alanbikehouston

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by swede
...As you know for sure, Centurion´s are still aviable in Scandinavia, i presume with Denmark as home base (but of course Asian made). Along with Nishiki they seem to have a good reputation for their hybrid and sport bikes, unfortually mostly alloy frames.
The "Centurion" name was never the actual name of a bike company. It was simply the name put on road bikes in the USA by the bike importer now known as "Diamondback". The importer "owned" the USA rights to the Centurion name, and purchased the bikes from a variety of sources in Japan. Of course, the importer never drew attention to the fact that there was no such thing as a "Centurion" bike factory.

The wide range of workmanship and quality between the very best frames that used the Centurion name, and the cheapest bikes using the Centurion name suggest that their top frames may have been made in a small "custom" shop that made frames by the hundreds. The cheapest frames look similar to frames that were being made by the millions in the era in the larger Japanese factories. What various Centurions sold in the USA had in common was not who built them, but the decal stuck on them by the importer.

If someone is using the name "Centurion" today in Europe, there is no reason to think that there is the slightest connection to the Centurion bikes sold in the USA during the '70's and '80's. And, it is doubtful any Centurion being sold in Europe today is built by a leading Japanese bike maker. Rivendell has some of its bikes built by a small "top quality" shop in Japan...the price is extremely high...about ten times higher than the cost of bikes made in the sweatshops in communist controlled portions of China.

Last edited by alanbikehouston; 04-07-06 at 09:52 AM.
Old 03-25-06, 03:42 PM
swede

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by alanbikehouston
The "Centurion" name was never the actual name of a bike company. It was simply the name put on road bikes in the USA by the bike importer now known as "Diamondback". Centurions were made by a variety of sources in Japan, and the importer never drew attention to the fact that there was no such thing as a "Centurion" bike factory.

The wide range of workmanship and quality between the very best frames that used the Centurion name, and the cheapest bikes using the Centurion name suggest that their top frames may have been made in a smaller shop, that made frames by the hundreds, and their cheapest frames look much like the frames that were being made by the millions in the era in the larger Japanese factories. What various Centurions had in common was not who built them, but the decal stuck on them by the importer.

If someone is using the name "Centurion" today in Europe, there is no reason to think that there is any connection or relationship to the Centurion bikes sold in the USA during the '70's and '80's. And, it is doubtful any Centurion being sold in Europe today is built by a leading Japanese bike maker. Rivendell has some of its bikes built by a small "top quality" shop in Japan...the price is extremely high...about ten times higher than the cost of bikes made in the sweatshops in communist controlled portions of China.
I do share your opinion. Brand names are something that is being traded nowadays, but nontheless, Centurion along with Nishiki has, at least in Scandinavia, "survived" as brands with a range of bikes one level above many othes. It has always been possible to recommend friends with less interest in bicycles to take a look at these brands. For years it has been possible to find bikes, light, efficient and with a with good geometry and a good choice of components. Denmark, where people really use their bikes for daily commuting has a long tradition using efficient bikes. A walk through Copenhagen is a bit like being in heaven - a lot of really nice bike shops and a lot of good bikes on the streets. I haven´t spotted so many single speeds fully Campagnolo equipped in one day elsewhere - and a lot of Centurions.
Old 04-07-06, 09:24 AM
Little Darwin
The Improbable Bulk

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
T-Mar.

This Centurion Master Iron Man is now in my living room.

https://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWN%3AIT&rd=1

I will check the components and post details for you, probably next weekend.

About all I can confirm for now is that it looks original, and has a Shimano 600 14 speed drive train with Biopace chainrings.

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 04-09-06, 10:02 AM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by dgregory57
T-Mar.

This Centurion Master Iron Man is now in my living room.

https://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWN%3AIT&rd=1

I will check the components and post details for you, probably next weekend.

About all I can confirm for now is that it looks original, and has a Shimano 600 14 speed drive train with Biopace chainrings.
It would appear to be a 1988 model, so the serial number should start with N7 or N8. Based on the pics, it does appear to be all original. Nice acquisition and one of my favourite paint schemes. Enjoy!
Old 04-22-06, 07:47 PM
Little Darwin
The Improbable Bulk

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Good call T-Mar!!!

I finally got around to checking component codes from my Centurion I got a few weeks ago.

It is a Master Iron Man Dave Scott and seems to be relatively stock. Year unknown, but the following are the deatails.

White with purple patterned fade front and rear.

Tange #1 seamless Double Butted tubing, and a Tange fork.

Full Shimano 600 components (14 speed indexed rear) with all date codes indicating late 1987. (LJ, LK and LL)

Serial number is N7S5612.
Attached Images
centurion.JPG (83.3 KB, 513 views)

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Last edited by Little Darwin; 04-22-06 at 07:55 PM.
Old 05-01-06, 11:22 PM
fadetoblack6902

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just bought a centurion elite RS. can you help me out with a year? the serial number is KF510350. The link below has pics and all the components.
thanks in advance

https://stlouis.craigslist.org/bik/156615792.html
Old 05-18-06, 02:18 PM
apan

Bikes: Centurion Le Mans 1986-ish

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm completely new to the whole bicycle circus, and I needed a bike to participate in a 300 km competiition with some friends. I knew my dad bought "a red, fast looking bike" back in the 80, which was never used. So this christmas when I visited my parents I brought back this thing, and tonight when I search the web for it, it would seem as if this brand is of some kind of interest?

Well, it's a "Ferrari red", 12 speed, Centurion Super LeMans.

Serial: WAK15777C
Derailers: Suntour Cyclone dated april 1986 front, sept 1986 rear (according to the dating website)
Shifters: Suntour 'Power shifters'
Brakes: Dia-Compe (no idea on model)
Wheels: Araya 7000
Tyres: Threw them away, completely dried up. No idea.
Saddle: Kashimax 'Aero' dated 1984, I believe
Handle bars: Sakae GT
Cranks: Sakae SA dated 1986
Pedals: Haven't found them yet, somewhere in my parents attic
Hubs: Suzue Sealed-tech

I always thought it was a nice looking bike. Really mint condition, my dad used it like twice. Had no idea it was "special" enough to have a topic like this. Thought Centurion was a "no-name" brand . I'll try to post a picture or two if it's of any interest.

Well, wish me luck for the 300 km "Vattern runt" later this June!

Last edited by apan; 05-18-06 at 02:23 PM.
Old 06-01-06, 11:00 AM
redxj
N+1

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
T-Mar, could you possibly help with this one. I just got this Centurion frame from Ebay to make a fixed gear. There are no components on it except the shifter (Suntour),BB, and headset (Tange) Suntour. The serial number is NOL 5999. It is blue with pinstripping on the fork and top tube and all of the lugs are outlinned in white.
Old 06-21-06, 07:49 PM
roccobike
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
I just picked up this Comp TA at a garage sale. The bike has all the original '600' components including the pedals (that I quickly changed out). It's a beautiful bike except rust is attacking a dozen spots on the frame. I took one close-up to try and show some of the rust problems. This bike was used quite a bit by the original owner. The serial number is 4H7935. I'm not sure what year it is. The frame is too big for me so I'll let my 14 year old ride it.
Attached Images
Centurion.JPG (77.6 KB, 452 views)
Centurion Comp.JPG (99.4 KB, 440 views)
Comp Crank.JPG (96.7 KB, 417 views)
Comp TA rear.JPG (89.3 KB, 410 views)
Comp Tube.JPG (99.8 KB, 432 views)
Old 07-25-06, 01:48 PM
Collegefour

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Centurion Elite RS, Dark Metallic Red, with Gold headtube

- Serial number: N4E7768

- Crank: Sugino AS marked as: Japan D-6 170

- Double chain rings: Sugino 50, 42

- Frame: Unknown, but probably Champion No. 2 Butted Tubes Tange Ltd.

- Hubs: Suzue 36 spokes rear, 36 spokes front

- Rims: Unknown, stickers are gone, but color matches brake group

- Derailleurs: Suntour Cyclone M-II

- Shifters: Suntour Symmetric on downtube

- Freewheel: Suntour 5 Cog

- Brakes: Dia-Compe GX-400 group

- Stem: SR Custom R

- Seatpost: SR Laprade

- Pedals: SR SP100AL

I guess this is a 1984 model?

EDIT: pic shows non-original cranks/chainrings, freewheel, seat, bottle holder, cyclometer and handlebar wrap. Everything else is original, as far as I know.
Attached Images
Nonmechside.jpg (98.1 KB, 469 views)
Old 07-25-06, 02:43 PM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by Collegefour
Centurion Elite RS, Dark Metallic Red, with Gold headtube

- Serial number: N4E7768

- Crank: Sugino AS marked as: Japan D-6 170

- Double chain rings: Sugino 50, 42

- Frame: Unknown, but probably Champion No. 2 Butted Tubes Tange Ltd.

- Hubs: Suzue 36 spokes rear, 36 spokes front

- Rims: Unknown, stickers are gone, but color matches brake group

- Derailleurs: Suntour Cyclone M-II

- Shifters: Suntour Symmetric on downtube

- Freewheel: Suntour 5 Cog

- Brakes: Dia-Compe GX-400 group

- Stem: SR Custom R

- Seatpost: SR Laprade

- Pedals: SR SP100AL

I guess this is a 1984 model?

EDIT: pic shows non-original cranks/chainrings, freewheel, seat, bottle holder, cyclometer and handlebar wrap. Everything else is original, as far as I know.
Yes, it is a 1984. The serial number is early in the year and the listed components match the specs. FYI, the tubing, according to the specs, should be Tange #3.
Old 08-12-06, 11:53 AM
TechJunkie
Reposting Yuppie Scum

Bikes: '98 Cervelo Eyre, '80 Centurion Lemans 12, '96 GT LTS-3, '05 Specialized Allez Elite Cro-Mo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Late to the game, but

Just bought it earlier today for $75 from a guy who had a storage unit full of them. Centurion Le Mans.
N0S0641-

Pearl paint
Lugged Frame
Suntour VX Group
Dia Compe center pull brakes
Araya rear wheel
Rigida fron wheel w Maillard hub
Sugino Crank

Attached Images
Le Mans.jpg (19.7 KB, 1582 views)
Old 08-29-06, 12:16 AM
BlankCrows
Avenir Equipped

Bikes: Chesini X-Uno, etc.....

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A road bike I recently found is a Diamondback type of Centurion, an Interval model that has lugs and Tange Champion #2 CrMo tubing, also has 'Super Radius CrMo Blades' welded for the fork. Paint job is the white to mottled blue shark skin looking fade. The top tube sticker reads 'Centurion Designed Interval'. Serial number is U91223395.

Components:
Brakes: Shimano BB-A500 SLR-S 49mm
Shifters: Shimano Light Action SL-A500
Derailleurs: Shimano Exage 500EX (front one says 'narrow')
Crankset: Shimano Biopace Exage 400EX 52/42
Rear Hub: Shimano FH-HG50
Front Hub: KK K-8
Wheels: Araya black 700c

This would be a 1990, correct? Is there a specs list for this model somewhere?

I figure it's mostly original except for the front hub and not sure about the wheels. Not sure how the 400EX crankset got in with all the 500EX stuff.

I've also got a Diamond Back Topanga mountain bike. If you want the serial number for that one let me know.

FYI if anyone hasn't seen this already -- here's a page that has a 1990's Shimano Group hierarchy with component serial numbers....

https://datenbanken.freepage.de/traut/SHIMANO.html

Last edited by BlankCrows; 10-11-06 at 02:23 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.