Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

fixed Gear Training

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

fixed Gear Training

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-11, 11:26 PM
birdt8608

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
fixed Gear Training

I'm sorry if this is a frequently asked question. A quick search didn't seem to turn up much.

I am curious if anyone has some good workouts for use with a fixed gear bike on an indoor trainer, or does the lack of variable resistance created by the absence of gearing options just make it to limiting?

Thanks!
Tom
Old 02-03-11, 10:22 AM
hshearer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I do a few of my weekly workouts in a single gear... I stay in the same gear for a zone 2 heart rate most of the time, and then spin faster to amp up my heart rate for my intervals (usually 1.5 hours total, with 5x 5 minutes in zone 3 for now, zone 4 closer to sping). A single gear can certainly give you a good workout. You're probably missing out somewhat, though, on sprints and strength exercises.

Last edited by hshearer; 02-03-11 at 10:27 AM.
Old 02-10-11, 09:22 PM
droobieinop

Bikes: jamis xenith comp '08, trek 750 hybrid (w/drops) c.1995, centurian fixie, kona cindercone mtb c.2000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Living in Florida we ride year round, barring the really nasties. I haven't really used my fixie very much this winter, and I haven't used it on the trainer at all, however. If you use a fixed gear on or off the trainer you can only do yourself good. I believe that the velo racers use rollers to train and warm up https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVbwngNoHm0, it should smooth out your stroke and improve your spin-up for sprints.