Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

E-Bike Travel

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

E-Bike Travel

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-11, 02:36 AM
tpreitzel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm also opening this thread to ICE engines ranging from 32cc - 50cc and other forms of alternative power assist for a human rider.
Old 05-15-11, 02:42 AM
tpreitzel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 15rms
This forum leads us to the question. Why are allowing this government to do this to us? When are we going to get tired of paying such huge taxes just to finance the police to make a criminal out of us?
An individual after my own heart. However, let's talk about the technical merits and simply create e-bikes capable of such long distance performance while ignoring illegal laws * until we, the people, can get these insanely illegal laws repealed. Generally, we should be obeying state laws as long as those laws are IAW their respective state constitutions. Regardless, interstate travel on assisted vehicles (bikes/trikes) is still readily possible and perfectly legal without licensing or registration in many cases. Some planning is needed, however. If any particular state law is unconstitutional, then bypass if possible or encourage the people within the state to amend or repeal the law. Many laws are in fact unconstitutional, but rarely challenged due to the cost of appealing crappy precedent up the legal chain.

* Definitely at the federal level since most congressional power has been usurped, not constitutionally granted.

Last edited by tpreitzel; 05-15-11 at 05:26 AM.
Old 05-15-11, 04:32 AM
tpreitzel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm unsure of this ICE's displacement, but the general concept is nice: *

https://i305.photobucket.com/albums/n...d/IMG_3692.jpg
https://i305.photobucket.com/albums/n...d/IMG_4271.jpg
https://i305.photobucket.com/albums/n...IMG_4520-1.jpg
https://i305.photobucket.com/albums/n...d/IMG_4725.jpg

Ole' time rock n' roll:
https://theoldmotor.com/wp-content/up...5802687521.jpg

* BarelyAWake of MotorBicycling.com

Last edited by tpreitzel; 05-15-11 at 04:48 AM.
Old 05-15-11, 06:26 AM
Sangesf

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
1.) This is an electric bicycle forum, so gas is not a topic we're interested in.

2.) Two of us already gave you the technical specs and price of what you need to achieve your proposed goal.

3.) If you're pedaling along with your electric bike the entire time, then yes you are correct, you more than likely won't ever get pulled over.

4.) You will have a more pleasant ride, if you use a recumbent or scooter type electric bicycle.

5.) I've had a bicyclist pass me at about 30mph, but he was pedaling crazily and only did it for about 10sec. (see #6)

6.) Even IF you could achieve 40mph on a regular bicycle, you would either..
a.) Already have a $5,000 Carbon Fiber bicycle and 21+ gears and be pedaling like a madman.
b.) Not hold that speed for more than a few seconds.
(P.S. Lance Armstrong averages about 32mph, so I highly doubt you can ride 40mph for any length of time)

End of discussion.

Last edited by Sangesf; 05-15-11 at 06:34 AM.
Old 05-15-11, 09:27 AM
tpreitzel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sangesf
1.) This is an electric bicycle forum, so gas is not a topic we're interested in.

2.) Two of us already gave you the technical specs and price of what you need to achieve your proposed goal.

3.) If you're pedaling along with your electric bike the entire time, then yes you are correct, you more than likely won't ever get pulled over.

4.) You will have a more pleasant ride, if you use a recumbent or scooter type electric bicycle.

5.) I've had a bicyclist pass me at about 30mph, but he was pedaling crazily and only did it for about 10sec. (see #6)

6.) Even IF you could achieve 40mph on a regular bicycle, you would either..
a.) Already have a $5,000 Carbon Fiber bicycle and 21+ gears and be pedaling like a madman.
b.) Not hold that speed for more than a few seconds.
(P.S. Lance Armstrong averages about 32mph, so I highly doubt you can ride 40mph for any length of time)

End of discussion.
Notice the sticky thread, i.e. actually read it ... Lastly, I don't really CARE about your assessment of my capabilities. Just keep to the topic of this thread, i.e. the technical merits as outlined in my OP.

Last edited by tpreitzel; 05-15-11 at 10:51 AM.
Old 05-15-11, 09:38 AM
dougmc

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro, Strada

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Fairmont
Wait a few years until batteries and motors are better developed for such a purpose.
Motors are already pretty awesome -- there's little room left for improvement there. You could make them somewhat smaller/lighter, but the efficiencies are already quite high. Batteries are where things can be really improved.

Also, such a trip would have one big logistical problem -- where would you recharge? Obviously you'll be bringing your charger along with you, but you won't be camping out somewhere if you need to charge while you sleep. Staying at hotels each night? That would work.

Still, I'm not aware of any e-bikes with a 150 mile range. Especially at 30+ mph. Perhaps at 20 mph with a good cyclist helping out?
Old 05-15-11, 12:06 PM
Sangesf

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
With my current setup I have a 100-110 miles distance capability at 20mph.
(Two 36v 20AH Lifepo4 batts and dual "36v 250w" motors)

If I had gone with two 48v 20ah batts and two 48v 500w motors, then I could conceivably get the same range at 30mph...
Otherwise you go with 2 48v 40H batts and you will definitely get your 150 miles at 30mph+.
But hen you're talking about $2000 just in batteries.
Old 05-15-11, 12:39 PM
dougmc

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro, Strada

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Sangesf
With my current setup I have a 100-110 miles distance capability at 20mph.
(Two 36v 20AH Lifepo4 batts and dual "36v 250w" motors)

If I had gone with two 48v 20ah batts and two 48v 500w motors, then I could conceivably get the same range at 30mph...
Otherwise you go with 2 48v 40H batts and you will definitely get your 150 miles at 30mph+.
Remember, the amount of energy needed to go a given distance on level ground is roughly porportional to speed squared (this assumes the drag is mostly due to air resistance, which it is above 10 mph or so.) So going X miles at 30 mph will require about 2.25x as much energy as doing it at 20 mph. Assuming that you're pedaling some during this as well, and you're pedaling at the same rate at both 20 and 30 mph, then the differences in the size of the needed battery pack will be even larger.

And this ignores the fact that larger battery packs will certainly increase rolling resistance (which we're ignoring -- it's a small factor on a bicycle) and probably air resistance (which we're not ignoring) to some small degree as well (the factor for that will be very small if it's obscured by a fairing that didn't have to be redesigned to cover larger batteries.)

If two 36v 20AH batteries will do 110 miles at 20 mph (assuming no pedaling), you'd need 3.375x as much battery to do 150 miles at 30 mph. If your 100 miles @ 20 mph figure includes pedaling, the difference will be even larger. Doubling the Ah rating of your battery and increasing the voltage by 33% as you've proposed comes somewhat close -- but only if we assume that the original figure had no pedaling.

Last edited by dougmc; 05-15-11 at 12:47 PM.