Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Plateaued just below 200

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-17, 03:40 PM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 442 Times in 315 Posts
Plateaued just below 200

Just thought I would share that I have been exercising 5 to 7 times a week. Like many here, I struggle with diet & a tendency toward sedentary activity levels.
My weight has been as high as 270 5 or 6 years ago but with a low of 179 about 4 years ago. While tending to my girlfriend (not her fault, mine), I regained 50 pounds & was right back to #230. Well, regrettably I broke it off w/ & for the past 14 months have exercised like crazy.
I did bike 3500 miles in 2016 & did many dozens of spin classes. Some adaptations have occurred requiring even more exercise. I'm now adding running to the regime the past 3 weeks. Running 45 treadmill minutes or 55 outdoor minutes about 3 days a week in addition to even more weekly spin classes. Weight is STUCK @ 194 !! Oh well, the adaptations are occurring since my resting pulse is down, & my cruising running miles are below 11 minutes.
Just thought I would share & thanks to all for the moral support & sharing I have encountered here over the years.
Old 02-04-17, 11:01 PM
IAMAMRA
Big Boned Biker

Bikes: Raleigh Detour 4.5, Trek Crossrip Elite '14

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The only way to lose weight is through diet, not exercise. Re-examine your food intake.
Old 02-05-17, 10:57 AM
masi61

Originally Posted by IAMAMRA
The only way to lose weight is through diet, not exercise. Re-examine your food intake.
Thanks for the reply - yes, I'm bad with binge eating. Office food (donuts, pizza for example) have been tough for me to resist ⚠️
Old 02-19-17, 07:24 PM
GregU

Bikes: 2008 Specialized Roubaix Elite, 2002 Specialized Sirius Pro, 1985 Vitus 979 (DuraAce 7400), 1985 Bianchi Trofeo

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts
And through increased muscle mass. You need strength training, too, not just hours aerobic work.
Old 02-19-17, 07:36 PM
kbarj

Bikes: Trek 8.3 DS (21)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by masi61
Just thought I would share ... Weight is STUCK @ 194 !! Oh well, the adaptations are occurring since my resting pulse is down, & my cruising running miles are below 11 minutes.
Just thought I would share & thanks to all for the moral support & sharing I have encountered here over the years.
Congratulations! I would love to be fighting a plateau at 194. I have a son who constantly reminds me that "you can't outwork a bad diet". I struggle with the office goodies as well. I'm in my early 60s and work around a bunch of college hires who still have metabolisms that burn any and everything. They think keeping the Krispy Kreme runs down to twice a week is showing real restraint. Keep up the good work!
Old 02-19-17, 08:42 PM
IAMAMRA
Big Boned Biker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GregU
And through increased muscle mass. You need strength training, too, not just hours aerobic work.
I know people who have lost hundreds of pounds and never worked out. It helps and might speed things up, but it's all about diet.
Old 02-21-17, 07:35 AM
masi61

I know people who have lost hundreds of pounds and never worked out. It helps and might speed things up, but it's all about diet.
Exercise does more than speed things up I think... to me it provides the tools to be much more productive in planning the trajectory of weight loss. It makes diet MEAN something.
Yes, I'm a bit of a binge eater. Certainly the body will try to stay locked in at some set point.
I will say that with the cycling season right around the corner, entering into these early season miles already moderately well conditioned - this is VERY rewarding. Foreshadowing s good season about to happen.

BTW: several weeks have passed since my original post & I'm still @ ~#195 pounds (?).
Old 02-25-17, 01:27 PM
masi61

Just thought I would share that the weight is coming down VERY slowly. I was on vacation this week & managed to bike 3 different days for 130 miles. I also did spin & weight lifting classes @ the gym. I'm now at about #192 and yes, getting back to this point has been quite difficult. I'm buying more fresh fruit, fat free Greek yogurt & using vegan protein powder in daily smoothies to give me the protein & energy I need to keep getting better while suppressing my appetite a bit.
Old 02-25-17, 01:59 PM
jdw777

Bikes: 2000 Klein Quantum

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh to be back again below 200#'s.

I firmly believe that plateaus are different weights where my body is comfortable - not necessarily a bad thing. For me (6'1", 31" inseam) it's 225, 205, 190. I'm at 231 now. I also go by the way my clothing fits versus the number as I'm sure I'm gaining muscle mass.

As for diet only, no exercise weight loss, not to start a fire, but c'mon... no exercise? So many ailments to be had losing weight that way. But I agree, a good diet is important!

d
Old 02-25-17, 08:19 PM
stoplight

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by masi61
Just thought I would share that the weight is coming down VERY slowly. I was on vacation this week & managed to bike 3 different days for 130 miles. I also did spin & weight lifting classes @ the gym. I'm now at about #192 and yes, getting back to this point has been quite difficult. I'm buying more fresh fruit, fat free Greek yogurt & using vegan protein powder in daily smoothies to give me the protein & energy I need to keep getting better while suppressing my appetite a bit.

perhaps you will one day grow tired of your battle with food and seek another way of coping with life stressors.
Old 02-25-17, 08:35 PM
ClydeTim
Banned.

Bikes: Trek

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OP, How tall are you? I could not get below 218 at 6'1. 7000 miles per year.

Family said I looked ill.
Old 02-26-17, 07:27 AM
masi61

Originally Posted by ClydeTim

I used to be 6' even. Lately I seem to measure 5'11 (I think this is still while wearing running shoes, will have to check while barefoot).

Well when I drop into the #180's I do get some remarks about looking "gaunt". This may have come from going too radical with fasting, exercising 6 & 7 days a week, etc...

I did ride ~3500 miles last year & I know this burns a ton of calories. However: for me being an efficient rider, somebody has to really make me push things into the red zone to break through & get better. Riding on its own doesn't do that for me.

I used to (and still do) think of riding as more of a reward for hard work. It is like you have a Honda Civic with the base package but subjected it to some substantial, robust upgrades. These upgrades are functional as well as aesthetic.
Old 02-26-17, 09:13 AM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
Originally Posted by ClydeTim

Ran into this as well. I'm overweight for my height. Lost 15 lbs after breaking my leg, subsequent surgery and several weeks on opioids. Either our friends and family are just use to seeing us a certain way, or society as a whole is more accustomed to overweight rather than optimal weight. I should weigh no more than 207 to avoid the dreaded label. I weigh 229. I suspect if I could get down to that, folks would be telling me to go see my doctor.
Old 02-26-17, 06:54 PM
masi61

With biking it is sometimes beneficial to "think small". What I mean by this is that I like to stay kind of compact on the bike. Standing for short climbs, using the front (or rear) of the saddle to stay poised while maintaining through different hills, rough pavement and so forth. Being willing to ride in the drops of the bars for way longer than you imagined you could. Little things like these I believe become habit through repetition. Eventually there is a payoff. Being an effortless bike rider is one such payoff. Looking trim (and hopefully not too wore out looking) is another reward.
Old 02-26-17, 07:18 PM
ClydeTim
Banned.

Bikes: Trek

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg
Ran into this as well. I'm overweight for my height. Lost 15 lbs after breaking my leg, subsequent surgery and several weeks on opioids. Either our friends and family are just use to seeing us a certain way, or society as a whole is more accustomed to overweight rather than optimal weight. I should weigh no more than 207 to avoid the dreaded label. I weigh 229. I suspect if I could get down to that, folks would be telling me to go see my doctor.

At 220, I had my body fat measured. Simple hand held device. I was 20% at a health fair that visited our company. Well actually 218 (rounded up). My family members were concerned that I had lost too much weight seeing that I had pumped iron for 10 years and lost some muscle too.

I'm 230 now so I'm probably a bit higher but seems fairly normal for a male.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
body fat.JPG (21.4 KB, 76 views)
Old 03-09-17, 05:02 AM
masi61

Just wanted to share an update: the 194 plateau seems to have budged & now the weight is creeping down toward the sub #190 mark.
Things that seem to be helping include: 1) getting to bed early with no bedtime snack. 2) continuing with every other day vegan plant protein powder smoothies for protein, energy & appetite control & 3) workouts: not doing more but am keeping the "pedal to the metal" so to speak. The weather here has been windy & rainy so I'm not really biking outdoors yet. But my days off I try to be productive @ the gym. 2 days ago for example I did lots of cardio - a 1 hour spin class in the morning, then a 55 minute treadmill run, then more walking and just going up & down stairs. Then, I returned in the late afternoon & did a second spin class - this one quite a bit higher in intensity. It was a tiring day but one where my weigh-in the following day yielded positive weight loss!
Old 03-09-17, 07:38 AM
snewton

Bikes: 2016 Trek 8.3 DS, 2016 Specialized Diverge Elite DSW

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1 Weight loss is all about the diet, i lost 86 lbs in 6 months with no exercise.
I'm now exercising with cardio + strength to get healthy.
Old 03-09-17, 07:47 AM
snewton

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by snewton
+1 Weight loss is all about the diet, i lost 86 lbs in 6 months with no exercise.
I'm now exercising with cardio + strength to get healthy.
And by Diet, i mean eating Nutritionally good foods, getting rid of processed foods, sugars(real and artificial), Pastas, Rice and Grains.
Old 03-09-17, 01:16 PM
IAMAMRA
Big Boned Biker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
And by Diet, i mean eating Nutritionally good foods, getting rid of processed foods, sugars(real and artificial), Pastas, Rice and Grains.
Meh, I eat all those things and have lost nearly 140# currently.
Old 03-09-17, 01:27 PM
snewton

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Meh, I eat all those things and have lost nearly 140# currently.
Not the only way to lose i'm sure, just the way that has worked best for me.
From my heaviest in 2016 i've lost 120#

* I'm enjoying reading your blog

Last edited by snewton; 03-09-17 at 01:32 PM.
Old 03-13-17, 09:05 AM
masi61

Not the only way to lose i'm sure, just the way that has worked best for me.
From my heaviest in 2016 i've lost 120#

* I'm enjoying reading your blog
I assume you are referring to me (the original poster (OP).

Things are chugging along with dispensing with the #194 plateau. If I have more veggies, some (bean) protein during an early dinner, then weighing in the following day pays dividends.

Workout themes for this phase include: 1) injury prevention through full range of motion stretches & exercise, 2) motivational (mental) work to stay sufficiently active. Kepping the furnace stoked so to speak. I don't know about anybody else but I consider my Fitbit Charge 2 to be the coolest, most motivational device- love it!!