Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Bariatric Surgery Anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-15, 07:18 AM
NYSteve

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had Gastric Bypass 15 years ago. I have very mixed emotions about it.

I lost a ton of weight but I gained it all back.

I am now fighting my balls off to lose weight again and keep it off. I have been successful, but the progress is much slower.

I feel good about my progress, and the changes I have made to lose weight.
Old 10-24-15, 08:20 AM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Almost exactly one year ago... my brother died from complications due to morbid obesity. Like yourself.... dropping a few pounds... wasn't a solution to anything.

It is amazing what all todays doctors can accomplish towards extending our lifespans. By all means... preserve your life. Whereas many surgeries can be reversed dying is a the final solution.

But there are many, many self-destructive behaviors available to people in a modern society. It might be impossible to tell which co-worker bought $80 of lottery tickets on their way to work. Or which neighbor is having affairs away from home. Heavy drinkers, pill poppers, over-spenders, etc., are everywhere and more often than not conceal their addictions. Only the over-eaters are so publicly exposed.

Don't trade one destructive behavior for another. You should educate yourself on addictions. Not that the education will be any direct benefit.... it won't. But it might inspire you to pursue a more permanent and satisfying lifestyle in the years that follow your surgical solution.

I've never in my entire life actually knew anyone totally free of compulsive or addictive feelings. Our imperfections are part of the human condition. Humans are complex beings. We need daily maintenance of our intellectual, physical, and spiritual selves. And.... we are smart enough to lie to ourselves... hiding our imperfections, needs, and even our behaviors from our own conscience.

You have a wonderful journey of self-discovery and improvement ahead of you. Relish the enjoyment it will bring you!

Last edited by Dave Cutter; 10-24-15 at 08:27 AM.
Old 10-24-15, 11:52 AM
ajbeck21
BIGWOLF

Bikes: gunnar crosshairs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Cutter
Almost exactly one year ago... my brother died from complications due to morbid obesity. Like yourself.... dropping a few pounds... wasn't a solution to anything.

It is amazing what all todays doctors can accomplish towards extending our lifespans. By all means... preserve your life. Whereas many surgeries can be reversed dying is a the final solution.

But there are many, many self-destructive behaviors available to people in a modern society. It might be impossible to tell which co-worker bought $80 of lottery tickets on their way to work. Or which neighbor is having affairs away from home. Heavy drinkers, pill poppers, over-spenders, etc., are everywhere and more often than not conceal their addictions. Only the over-eaters are so publicly exposed.

Don't trade one destructive behavior for another. You should educate yourself on addictions. Not that the education will be any direct benefit.... it won't. But it might inspire you to pursue a more permanent and satisfying lifestyle in the years that follow your surgical solution.

I've never in my entire life actually knew anyone totally free of compulsive or addictive feelings. Our imperfections are part of the human condition. Humans are complex beings. We need daily maintenance of our intellectual, physical, and spiritual selves. And.... we are smart enough to lie to ourselves... hiding our imperfections, needs, and even our behaviors from our own conscience.

You have a wonderful journey of self-discovery and improvement ahead of you. Relish the enjoyment it will bring you!

Thank you for that sir. I feel like this is the rite thing to do, at this time in my life. I am older and more open minded now, than ever before. I look forward to being able to take full advantage of the all the adventures to come. I have looked back on my life and realized how much I missed out on and regret many many missed opportunities. I have been held back from so much life has to offer not only because of my weight but for being very closed minded. I intend to take full advantage of each and every opportunity life sends my way.
Old 10-31-15, 05:47 AM
gabedad

Bikes: 2014 Trek Madone 5.2 2012 Canondale Synapse 6 alum. Gary Fisher Wahoo Panasonic DX 2000

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mithrandir
I'm sorry but no. There is no need to mangle your ****ing body just because you can't take the responsibility to control your own life. I'm sick and tired of everyone pushing this surgery on me. Doctors, friends, etc. Nobody wanted to help me gain control over my life, just take the easy way out and permanently **** up your bowels. NOPE.

I manned up. I rode my bike. I learned self-control. It's not hard once you get in the habit and have some *actual* encouragement, from *actual* friends who aren't pushing snake oil.

I did it and so can everyone else here. I don't want to hear your lame excuses. And I don't want to hear more people pushing body mutilation as a cure for their lack of self control. We're stronger than that here.
who is pushing it on you? Certainly no one here. It is a decision that only you can make- and if it is not for you, so be it - but don't belittle the others that choose it. It is a tool for taking charge of your own life.

Until you have a CLUE as to what this type of surgery entails and what commitment is needed - you might want to keep your uninformed opinions in check

You did it and lost weight- good for you -not everyone can - it's not snake oil. again - you're perhaps are getting the wrong information and have the wrong doctors, friends etc.

Take the easy way out?? You are clueless as to what the lifestyle change is. Lame excuses? The only thing lame here is your own bravado.

The attached picture is what my bariatric center says and it is what I tell all about the surgery. If you think it is easy then you have your head where your chamois should be.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
it will take.jpg (90.8 KB, 78 views)

Last edited by gabedad; 11-01-15 at 09:40 AM.
Old 01-31-16, 09:47 PM
ajbeck21
BIGWOLF

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
just incase anyone was wondering. I had the VSG surgery on 01/06/16, no complications to speak of. As of today I'm down nearly 50lbs from my highest weight which was 402lbs. Still have a very long way to go, looking forward to getting back on the Gunnar...
Old 01-31-16, 10:31 PM
FrenchFit 
The Left Coast, USA

Bikes: Bulls, Bianchi, Koga, Trek, Miyata

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by ajbeck21
just incase anyone was wondering. I had the VSG surgery on 01/06/16, no complications to speak of. As of today I'm down nearly 50lbs from my highest weight which was 402lbs. Still have a very long way to go, looking forward to getting back on the Gunnar...
Congrats to you, and our best wishes.

My wife and jI just did a 30m round-trip returning into cold headwinds, she spent the rest of the day working around the house. She has the fitness level of someone 20 years younger. There is great stuff in front of you, enjoy the journey.
Old 02-01-16, 07:38 AM
customsound79
Twitching Dead Elephant

Bikes: Kona Zone Two, Giant Contend, Polygon Path 3, Specialized Enduro 29

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mithrandir
I'm sorry but no. There is no need to mangle your ****ing body just because you can't take the responsibility to control your own life. I'm sick and tired of everyone pushing this surgery on me. Doctors, friends, etc. Nobody wanted to help me gain control over my life, just take the easy way out and permanently **** up your bowels. NOPE.

I manned up. I rode my bike. I learned self-control. It's not hard once you get in the habit and have some *actual* encouragement, from *actual* friends who aren't pushing snake oil.

I did it and so can everyone else here. I don't want to hear your lame excuses. And I don't want to hear more people pushing body mutilation as a cure for their lack of self control. We're stronger than that here.
I love this mostly because I was giving the same hopeless defensive argument about how impossible it was and that no one undertood, but the major trouble is that my sister had the surgery and didn't lose the weight. Here I am having weighed more than most, if not all, of you saying that he is right. You have to get pissed off at the crap lifestyle that leaves you feeling miserable every day. It does get easier and addictive. I still have a ways to go. But now it's a when and not an if. The surgery works for some but not all. It should be the absolute last resort! It doesn't take complete weight loss to feel great either. This 380 mammoth powered through 15 miles at 16 mph yesterday and 33 miles on Friday. I got my first road bike Jan 1st. How's that for NO EXCUSES?!

Last edited by customsound79; 02-01-16 at 07:43 AM.
Old 02-01-16, 07:57 AM
ajbeck21
BIGWOLF

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by customsound79
I love this mostly because I was giving the same hopeless defensive argument about how impossible it was and that no one undertood, but the major trouble is that my sister had the surgery and didn't lose the weight. Here I am having weighed more than most, if not all, of you saying that he is right. You have to get pissed off at the crap lifestyle that leaves you feeling miserable every day. It does get easier and addictive. I still have a ways to go. But now it's a when and not an if. The surgery works for some but not all. It should be the absolute last resort! It doesn't take complete weight loss to feel great either. This 380 mammoth powered through 15 miles at 16 mph yesterday and 33 miles on Friday. I got my first road bike Jan 1st. How's that for NO EXCUSES?!
That great I commend you!!! I have had similar success in the past read here https://www.bikeforums.net/clydesdale...st-update.html after all that I managed to gain it all back plus some.
Old 02-02-16, 07:47 AM
customsound79
Twitching Dead Elephant

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That great I commend you!!! I have had similar success in the past read here https://www.bikeforums.net/clydesdale...st-update.html after all that I managed to gain it all back plus some.
I had to let this one soak in for a little while. I take it as a call to be even more vigilant with my own course. Good luck in whatever path you take. I can't blame you for looking at all the options. I considered it myself but like I said, my sister did it and lost maybe 60 lbs and pretty much put it back on in the last 5 years.
Old 02-02-16, 09:37 AM
ajbeck21
BIGWOLF

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by customsound79
I had to let this one soak in for a little while. I take it as a call to be even more vigilant with my own course. Good luck in whatever path you take. I can't blame you for looking at all the options. I considered it myself but like I said, my sister did it and lost maybe 60 lbs and pretty much put it back on in the last 5 years.

Hey what part of MS are you in? I live in Covington, LA about 45mins from the MS GulfCoast... I also have a hunting camp just north of Liberty, MS.
Old 02-02-16, 10:32 AM
customsound79
Twitching Dead Elephant

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hey what part of MS are you in? I live in Covington, LA about 45mins from the MS GulfCoast... I also have a hunting camp just north of Liberty, MS.
I'm in the micro town of Utica. It's about 30 miles southwest of Jackson. I make several trips to NOLA for business reasons. I'll be there next weekend.
Old 02-02-16, 12:59 PM
Jarrett2

Bikes: Steel 1x's

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
What's the weight number doctors use to decide whether surgery is right or not?

I always wonder how they determine that its time to start cutting.
Old 02-02-16, 04:04 PM
ajbeck21
BIGWOLF

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The way I see it, if your willing to pay, their willing to operate... I have a cousin that needed to loose about 30-40lbs, she had the same procedure I had...
Old 04-01-17, 10:13 AM
ajbeck21
BIGWOLF

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey guys its been a while. Just wanted to give an update on my weight loss journey. 12 months after the VSG I stalled at about 100 lbs or so down. Meanwhile my wife started a program called Shape Reclaimed and she was down about 70 lbs. I started on her program as well and 30 days in I'm down 30 lbs. Total I'm down 150 lbs and she's down 100 lbs.
Old 04-02-17, 10:37 AM
Jarrett2

Bikes: Steel 1x's

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Old 04-02-17, 06:45 PM
IAMAMRA
Big Boned Biker

Bikes: Raleigh Detour 4.5, Trek Crossrip Elite '14

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey guys its been a while. Just wanted to give an update on my weight loss journey. 12 months after the VSG I stalled at about 100 lbs or so down. Meanwhile my wife started a program called Shape Reclaimed and she was down about 70 lbs. I started on her program as well and 30 days in I'm down 30 lbs. Total I'm down 150 lbs and she's down 100 lbs.
Awesome
Old 04-03-17, 03:01 PM
breadbin

Bikes: Raleigh 531c, Marin Muirwoods, Brodie Romax

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Great stuff! Keep at it. Any complications or side effects from the surgery? I don't think personally I'd get it done but that's just me. Glad it's working out for you though.
Old 04-04-17, 11:06 AM
ajbeck21
BIGWOLF

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was having some low blood sugar attacks, they worked themselves out now. No major side effects to speak of. You need to be ready for a major life style change. If your expecting the surgery to be a cure all, it will fail. One needs to use it as a tool to achieve your long term goals.