Search
Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

What tires do people use...

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-08, 02:54 PM
yeamac 
Parttime Member

Bikes: 2021 Cannondale Topstone Neo SL, 2021 Tesoro Neo SL EQ, 2012 Marin Bridgeway City; 1996 Cannondale MT1000 tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
For the Rubinos there are really only two versions, Rubino Pro and Rubino Pro II are basically the same tire. Rubino Pro Tech is as Bekologist describes above.

For 2008 Vittoria revamped some of its tires using the same model number but adding a "II" behind the name. For instance, the Diamante Pro is now called the Diamante Pro II.

Same thing for the Rubino Pro -- it now has been named the Rubino Pro II. I'm not quite sure what is different. Tread pattern and material construction seems to be unchanged. Weight might be 10 grams or so lighter.

When I placed my order from Probikekit.com early in the spring, their website said (and still does say) "Rubino Pro." But they sent me the newer Rubino Pro II tire. Both products have the exact same model number.

So if you purchase a Rubino Pro with no "II" at the end of it, you are getting older stock. But note that some websites (like PBK) may ship you the newer II model even though their website still lists the older version. Also, the "II" is only on the box, not on the tire itself -- the tire will still say "Rubino Pro." The newer versions have a smaller silver label, as pictured at the biketiresdirect link above. The older label has more red in it (in case you are buying these on ebay or something).

Last edited by yeamac; 07-30-08 at 03:00 PM.
Old 07-30-08, 09:56 PM
Old_Crow
Corvus caurinus

Bikes: Seven Aerios, Landshark Roadshark, Surly CrossCheck

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Vittoria Pave clinchers, the tread isn't the longest lasting but they are very nice rolling tires, sticky in the corners and rarely flat (knock wood).
Old 07-31-08, 08:45 AM
smurf hunter

Bikes: 2006 LeMond Croix de Fer, 2005 Kona Dew Deluxe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
People always try to suggest how flat resistant a tire is. Clearly some treads and compounds can "suck" in debris - also as some rubber ages it can soften up and absorb the junk too.

If I avoid the shoulders on heavily used roads most any tire will go quite a ways before flatting. On the other extreme, I've got 32mm Schwalbe Marathon Pros on my "heavy" bike. Since mounting them 8 onths ago, I've not had a flat. I'll knock on wood as well, but given the additional 2lbs of rotating weight the marathons added, and how terribly difficult they are to mount (very stiff sidewalls), I am hoping it's more than luck that keeps them puncture free.
Old 07-31-08, 10:09 AM
brunop
hell's angels h/q e3st ny

Bikes: surly steamroller, independent fabrication titanium club racer, iro jamie roy--44/16, independent fabrication steel crown jewel--47/17, surly karate. monkey (rohloff speed hub), unicycle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
conti 4000. 700x25.
Old 09-26-08, 09:35 AM
monocognizant

Bikes: several

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just put a set of Surfas Seca RS tires on my new build. I only have about 15mi on them but the seem great so far. Time will tell though.
Old 09-26-08, 03:29 PM
LWaB

Bikes: Early Cannondale tandem, '99 S&S Frezoni Audax, '65 Moulton Stowaway, '52 Claud Butler, TSR30, Brompton

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by smurf hunter
also as some rubber ages it can soften up and absorb the junk too.
Usually rubber gets harder over time, as it loses volatile compounds.
Old 09-26-08, 05:28 PM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by mattm
i have to admit i did the stp on 23's. and regretted it as soon as we hit that chipseal stuff down south!
Chipseal is not so bad on 23's. If you drop down to about 110psi the ride is decent. However, if I knew I was going to be riding all day on the stuff, I'd go for a bigger tire.
Old 09-27-08, 08:09 PM
CliftonGK1

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I ride 28mm Ultra Gatorskins, but I'm Sasquatch sized. At 245 pounds, the 23mm Conti UG's I have on my fixed gear are really harsh. The 28s on my commuter/distance bike are perfect. Fast enough for the effort I put into riding, and comfortable/flat-resistant enough that I haven't had any issues until just this past Thursday. 3100 miles on my rear tire, and something cut clean through the tire on my way to work.