Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Family over Personal Values?

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Family over Personal Values?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-08, 06:52 AM
chennai
Urban "Dirtbag"

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think one must make compromises for one's family. It's just an instance of the general rule that having a relationship of any sort requires compromise. And, I've found that bending a bit every now and then is good for me. It gets my focus off "me," is occasionally enlightening, and sometimes reinforces my ideas.

I agree that the CTA is a fine way of getting around. My mom, who hated the city in her middle age, has come to enjoy the independence the train/CTA connection gives her. She has gotten a kick out of introducing her friends to it.

But whether the CTA is good or not your mom is 65, and if she's not willing to learn new ways of living, help her out occasionally. She apparently wants to show her grandkids a good time and spend time with you. And, it's better in the long run for everyone if grandma spends time with the kids and grandkids. Not only is it positive for the grandkids and maybe for you, many of the alternative ways seniors have to spend time are pretty awful - watching tv all day? complaining about their relatives? calling incessantly because they want company? worrying about mystery or real ailments? Eventually you may find yourself trying to get your mom into a car, out of the house, and doing almost anything.

If you feel compelled to do something that coincides more with your principles - as I often am - get your niece and nephew on bikes - isn't there a rental place near the zoo? Or, if it's conceivable, get your mom on the lakefront path. If she's not terrified, she might even enjoy it.

([BRAG] My mom's 75, rides across a couple states every year, and has accumulated several loaner bikes for visitors to ride around town. She just told me she's doing the Pullman history ride soon. [/BRAG])
Old 08-25-08, 07:42 AM
Elkhound

Bikes: Trek Mountaineer modified with a NuVinci; Montegue Paratrooper folding mountain bike; Greenspeed recumbent; Surly Big Dummy with Stokemonkey

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
https://www.wicycle.com/special_needs...le_trailer.php

This trailer will take people up to 5'10"/150 lbs, so you could put your mother in it and put the 3-year-old in a trailer behind the 14-year-old's bike, and off you go.
Old 08-26-08, 10:12 AM
brunop
hell's angels h/q e3st ny

Bikes: surly steamroller, independent fabrication titanium club racer, iro jamie roy--44/16, independent fabrication steel crown jewel--47/17, surly karate. monkey (rohloff speed hub), unicycle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i vote for puttin' 'em on the bus.
Old 08-26-08, 10:20 AM
Ka_Jun
Who farted?

Bikes: '06 K2 Zed 3.0, '09 Novara Buzz V

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by deaonerox
Thanks folks. You make good points. Especially since my sister *chooses* not to come.

I'll add this: First my sister doesn't exactly drop the kids off and keep it movin. Its more my moms idea to round everybody up for a day of fun.

And this: though, I love biking and you love biking, everybody comes into it at their own time. This was not supposed to be a "how do I get my family on bikes" thread. Plus, I don't wanna come across as the self-righteous biker saying biking is better. After all, this is big city and while I can do the twelve miles downtown and back in almost a 'snap', their route would be more like 20 miles.
wtf's wrong w/ public transport, unless your ma has bad knees, or something.