Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

How to do simple fixed gear tricks

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

How to do simple fixed gear tricks

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-08, 07:41 PM
Guvna
Not a dick.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I guess so, which is sad. I think a lot of us would prefer it not be a "boys club," that basically being another way of saying "frat." But yes, this is a frat club for bike snobs. You show up on the door step with perfectly reasonable, albeit somewhat novice questions, you get hazed.
Old 12-06-08, 08:06 PM
Dion Rides

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by Guvna
I guess so, which is sad. I think a lot of us would prefer it not be a "boys club," that basically being another way of saying "frat." But yes, this is a frat club for bike snobs.
That's interesting. I ride a multitude of disciplines, even flatland BMX (see avatar) and fixed gear riders in my area are WAY snobby towards me - probably the snobbiest group of riders (in my area) when it comes to the bicycles I ride; BMX'ers and MTB'ers seem to be the coolest.

I don't give in to the fashion side of fixed gear riding, and I wear real cycling clothes and road shoes when I ride, saving trick riding for the bike that it's supposed to be done on - a real 20" flatland bike with pegs.

It almost feels like "Yeah, you ride a fixed gear, but you're not a fixed gear rider".

Old 12-06-08, 08:12 PM
bbllaakke

Bikes: Raleigh Sports, Giant Cadex, Waterford X-11, Specialized Rockhopper Comp FS, Viscount Aerospace Pro, Scwinn Passage

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I really hope we don't start seeing pegs on track bikes in the future.
Old 12-06-08, 08:39 PM
gestalt assault

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
the end is near...
Old 12-06-08, 08:42 PM
gestalt assault

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bbllaakke
I really hope we don't start seeing pegs on track bikes in the future.
Old 12-06-08, 09:25 PM
GoodEyeCycler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've yet to see anyone perfect the one-handed, umbrella holding, inverted manual:

Old 12-06-08, 10:12 PM
miahmiah

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow yeah you might want to find a diff forum hahah. Look at all these haters!

I don't think anyone is serious about Aerospoke helping tricks, yet the OP agreeing with the advice? Nice and confusing, correct me if I'm wrong, please! At least his is mounted on the rear instead of adding weight to the front and making wheelies harder to learn.

Track stand took me at least a week, two to master. After you master the track stand with each foot forward and are able to rock back and forth a foot or two, then it will be simple to progress past the fear of riding backwards and be able to maintain your balance throughout a complete pedal stroke and further. Note you will probably be riding extremely curvy, turning side to side quite a bit more than you would going forward in order to maintain balance, or even doing circles at first instead.
Old 12-06-08, 10:13 PM
miahmiah

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GoodEyeCycler
I've yet to see anyone perfect the one-handed, umbrella holding, inverted manual:
Ouch! I read that article about dangerous chinese roads that the government didnt want to fix which featured these photos by a concerned photographer. That looks so painful!
Old 12-07-08, 10:05 PM
droobieinop

Bikes: jamis xenith comp '08, trek 750 hybrid (w/drops) c.1995, centurian fixie, kona cindercone mtb c.2000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
all these tricks and more are nothing new, old school vaudville and circus type stuff check this Edison moving picture https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZjd9...eature=related
Old 12-07-08, 10:33 PM
droobieinop

Bikes: jamis xenith comp '08, trek 750 hybrid (w/drops) c.1995, centurian fixie, kona cindercone mtb c.2000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
well i can only speak for myself in saying that many "tricks" will come as a matter of survival like hopping a curb to avoid being hit or skidding when being cut off, after that a "purist" imo would be the only one wrenching on their bike, and you've gotta test the strength and peramaters of your work, is my chain/line right, are my brakes right, is my bike balanced, and boredum leads to more tricks, or maybe you just have to feel cool...

... i feel cool when i stay with traffic or fly by it and do it with a certain amount of security