Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

REI Clydesdale Options help

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-16, 07:23 PM
Powerlifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi,
I have gift certificates for REI for $400 so am looking at hybrid and mountain bike options there. I'm clueless about bikes so don't want to buy the wrong thing. I'm 5'10 and 250 pounds. Wanna commute around my beach town to gym, yoga, and friends on local bike paths that are paved, packed dirt, gravel and a wood chip trail.

Any advice or suggestions for REI options appreciated. These seem to be the general options online at REI in my price range :
Cannondale Trail 7
Diamondback Overdrive
Cannondale Trail 5
Cannondale Catalyst 2
Novara Buzz (2016)
Diamondback Insight 1 (2016)
Diamondback Insight 2 (2016)
Diamondback Trace (2017)
Novara Big Buzz (2016)
Diamondback Hannjo Metro (2017)

Thanks!!
Old 12-25-16, 10:11 PM
danmyersmn

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 15 Posts
The Novara Buzz will get you 36 spoke wheels where a number of the other bikes on your list were 32 spoke wheels.
Old 12-25-16, 10:44 PM
Powerlifter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks. So is that the most important factor when one is a heavyweight like
Me? I'll try to get to local REI This week and check it out. It's on sale for $421 currently.
Old 12-25-16, 11:04 PM
FBOATSB

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 913 Post(s)
Liked 515 Times in 344 Posts
Yes, spoke count is important for most people. What is much more important is that the bike fits you correctly. I hope REI offers a test ride for general comfort considering your aches and pains previously mentioned. I notice also that the Buzz only comes in two sizes - L & XL but overall a good buy. And welcome to Bike Forums.
Old 12-26-16, 01:16 AM
Powerlifter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks! Appreciate it. Sorry for any posting mishaps as I posted first on Clydesdale and then Hybrid...then it seemed the Clydesdale posting didn't take so I put up the shorter one.

I think the local REI will let me. I was looking for bikes for my girlfriends daughter and they were very helpful. So was reading up on here. I didn't realize I was going to get so much REI gift certificates so was excited to think I could get myself a bike there with them.

Some of these online bike magazines make shopping confusing for someone like me who is clueless.
Old 12-26-16, 06:56 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 182 Posts
You list a whole lot of different bikes. I'd suggest looking at the weight for each of the bikes (you will have to ask at the store because most manufacturers no longer specify weight even for one size frame) and pick one of the lighter bikes. They are no less durable but are more fun to ride since they require less effort. Your $400 budget puts you in the entry level class for bikes so there isn't likely to be much difference between components from one to another. If you read the many responses to this type of question (what should I buy?) you will often see the suggestion you buy a bike with a rigid fork rather than a suspended MTB. The cheap suspensions don't really function all that well and add unnecessary weight. It is also money that could have been put to using better components on the rest of the bike.
Old 12-26-16, 07:50 PM
Powerlifter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasTriker
You list a whole lot of different bikes. I'd suggest looking at the weight for each of the bikes (you will have to ask at the store because most manufacturers no longer specify weight even for one size frame) and pick one of the lighter bikes. They are no less durable but are more fun to ride since they require less effort. Your $400 budget puts you in the entry level class for bikes so there isn't likely to be much difference between components from one to another. If you read the many responses to this type of question (what should I buy?) you will often see the suggestion you buy a bike with a rigid fork rather than a suspended MTB. The cheap suspensions don't really function all that well and add unnecessary weight. It is also money that could have been put to using better components on the rest of the bike.
Thanks VegasTriker. I basically listed any hybrid or mountain bike at REI that is in my price range (looking only to spend $500 or less). I've read that about getting fixed forks in some articles and on the forum, just does not seem like REI has a whole ton of options with fixed forks. None of the REIs in LA/OC have a Novarus Buzz for me to test ride or sit on, so they said I could order one, if it comes in and does not fit, just return it on the spot...

I am on a strict budget otherwise I would go to the local bike shop and let them help me out with more options than REI offers. But having $400 to use at REI sort of makes it tough to want to do that because there is nothing else pending I want or need at REI.

In the past I have bought a few mountain bikes that did not get much use, but I also had less time back then and more hobbies. That is another reason I want to stay $500 or less, rather than go big and if I do not end up using it that much have wasted the money. Now that I have more time I just am wishful thinking I would try to get in the habit of riding the bike to the gym, yoga, and maybe my girlfriends house to get some gentle extra cardio that does not tear up my joints. There are lots of bike paths in town, paved, dirt, gravel, and a woodchip trail. Hybrid is probably all I need. I do not foresee wanting to buy a bike rack for my SUV and head off to any mountain or dirt trails.

Thankfully for this forum and visiting local bike shops to get my girlfriends daughter a beach cruiser for Christmas, I was made aware that going to Costco/Target/Walmart for a $150-200 bike is not a good idea. It crossed my mind to just get a cheap a$$ Schwinn hyrbid or mountain bike at one of those places and use it for cruising around town. If I ended up not using it much or it got stolen would not be that big of a loss. And until seeing this Clydesdale forum, I did not realize I had to take into consideration that I normally hover in the 240-250lb range. usually 240 but with a nagging shoulder issue (superspinatus tendonitis), and some lower back issues flaring up, past 3 months no MMA or interval training (strongman type stuff, plus sprints), and backing off lifting to heal up injuries I am getting heavier and not in a good way!!! I need to get some general fitness stuff in until the shoulder and nagging back heal up!!!
Old 12-26-16, 11:30 PM
chunkymonkeybik

Bikes: rockhopper w/26x2.5 rear

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
go for it, power! Whatever you get, use. Achieve your goals. The REI dudes/dudettes here in So. Cal are pretty cool. No pressure. I've got 5 screws, 4mm titanium in my left shoulder, so cycling is it for me.

Keep going!
Old 12-27-16, 09:30 AM
Powerlifter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chunkymonkeybik
go for it, power! Whatever you get, use. Achieve your goals. The REI dudes/dudettes here in So. Cal are pretty cool. No pressure. I've got 5 screws, 4mm titanium in my left shoulder, so cycling is it for me.

Keep going!
Thanks for the encouragement :-)

Gonna try to get to REI in next few days and possibly order the Novara Buzz (if it doesn't fit when it arrives I can return it). If I'm reading the specs right it's maybe only one in my list
Of REI bikes I can afford that is 36 spoke.

Seems a fixed front fork and 36 spoke is ideal for
Me but doesn't seem common for entry level brands at REI

Last edited by Powerlifter; 12-27-16 at 09:51 AM.
Old 12-27-16, 02:05 PM
ClydeTim
Banned.

Bikes: Trek

Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Powerlifter
Thanks for the encouragement :-)

Gonna try to get to REI in next few days and possibly order the Novara Buzz (if it doesn't fit when it arrives I can return it). If I'm reading the specs right it's maybe only one in my list
Of REI bikes I can afford that is 36 spoke.

Seems a fixed front fork and 36 spoke is ideal for
Me but doesn't seem common for entry level brands at REI

Don't be fooled by the 36 spoke nonsense posted in Clyde forums. 250 is not that heavy and a trail type wheel is more than strong enough at 32 spokes. The main thing is to get the wheel proper tension. You can have 48 spokes and if it is not well built, it will fail.

At 250 I rode a roadie with 24/26 spokes for over 10,000 miles with no problems. I also rode a mountain bike on hard packed trail including washboard terrain at 25-30 MPH descents with 24/28 spoke wheels no problem.

I have 50-60 thousand miles on 32 spoke and 28 spoke wheels no problem on a road bike. The main thing is having them set up with proper tension. You might want to invest a few bucks taking the wheel to a bike shop and have a wheel guy set it up properly for you. That could be the difference between getting 1,000 miles vs 20,000.

But don't think because one wheel has 36 spokes vs 32, you are getting a better wheel. The difference is the quality of the build. Sadly bikes in that price range don't come with high quality wheels or craftsmanship. But if you have a wheel person adjust it, that helps more than counting spokes.

250 is not that heavy and a well adjusted wheel is the difference. Sadly REI is a hit and miss with mechanics as is with many bike shops as well. There are some real good wheel guys and some real bad ones that think they are wheel guys. Find one with a good rep.

Also, don't put much trust into what an REI sales rep tells you about a bike. I have several bikes ranging from 105 to Dura Ace. One day I was browsing at REI bikes just chilling. The rep came up and told me I was looking at a bike with the top of the line Shimano components, Sora. The guy must have thought I was a fool so I let him ramble on with his nonsense.

If you ask for advice at REI, talk to the mechanic, not a salesperson.

Also, my opinion on bikes, ALL THINGS EQUAL. I'd take a Cannondale over any Novara or Diamond back any day!

looking at specs of bikes listed, never heard of equation rims on the Diamondback.
Weinmman and Alex on the Novara and Cannondale are well known brands.

Also something you need to consider is the front suspension. I notice some models listed have suspension and some don't. Front suspension forks at this level are not of good quality which means if you take them off road, the suspension forks will not hold up well. Notice they don't even list a suspension model fork, means low end. You will develop problems down the road. If you are not hard core off road, I'd go for a rigid fork (no susp) myself.

Last edited by ClydeTim; 12-27-16 at 02:26 PM.
Old 12-27-16, 05:13 PM
Powerlifter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ClydeTim
Don't be fooled by the 36 spoke nonsense posted in Clyde forums. 250 is not that heavy and a trail type wheel is more than strong enough at 32 spokes. The main thing is to get the wheel proper tension. You can have 48 spokes and if it is not well built, it will fail.

At 250 I rode a roadie with 24/26 spokes for over 10,000 miles with no problems. I also rode a mountain bike on hard packed trail including washboard terrain at 25-30 MPH descents with 24/28 spoke wheels no problem.

I have 50-60 thousand miles on 32 spoke and 28 spoke wheels no problem on a road bike. The main thing is having them set up with proper tension. You might want to invest a few bucks taking the wheel to a bike shop and have a wheel guy set it up properly for you. That could be the difference between getting 1,000 miles vs 20,000.

But don't think because one wheel has 36 spokes vs 32, you are getting a better wheel. The difference is the quality of the build. Sadly bikes in that price range don't come with high quality wheels or craftsmanship. But if you have a wheel person adjust it, that helps more than counting spokes.

250 is not that heavy and a well adjusted wheel is the difference. Sadly REI is a hit and miss with mechanics as is with many bike shops as well. There are some real good wheel guys and some real bad ones that think they are wheel guys. Find one with a good rep.

Also, don't put much trust into what an REI sales rep tells you about a bike. I have several bikes ranging from 105 to Dura Ace. One day I was browsing at REI bikes just chilling. The rep came up and told me I was looking at a bike with the top of the line Shimano components, Sora. The guy must have thought I was a fool so I let him ramble on with his nonsense.

Also, my opinion on bikes, ALL THINGS EQUAL. I'd take a Cannondale over any Novara or Diamond back any day!

looking at specs of bikes listed, never heard of equation rims on the Diamondback.

Also something you need to consider is the front suspension. I notice some models listed have suspension and some don't. Front suspension forks at this level are not of good quality which means if you take them off road, the suspension forks will not hold up well. Notice they don't even list a suspension model fork, means low end. You will develop problems down the road. If you are not hard core off road, I'd go for a rigid fork (no susp) myself.
Thanks Tim....this is a lot of wisdom. I am clueless so any bike shop or REI person could blow smoke and I would have no clue. I went to REI today and asked for the bike mechanics, but the store was hopping possibly due to being post Christmas/pre NY weekend. So I only got a floor guy to help and he steered me towards the Diamond Back Insight 2 ($499). He also said the Diamond Back Trace Competition would work, but because of front fork (low end I assume) and wider tires, he said it would take more effort to get places and was less efficient than the Insight 2. The Trace Competition was on sale for like $530, which retails $800 on Diamondbacks site, and I think retailed $650ish at REI. I asked about the 36 vs 32, this guy said he did not think it would be that big of a difference but would defer to one of the bike mechanics when they became available. So I asked about the Novaras Buzz, he said at the sale price of $423 it was probably better than the Diamondback Insight 2 with a few better components he mentioned that I did not have a clue but think he was referring to the front sprocket and maybe rims? Don't quote me. However after trying to order the Novara Buzz from customer service, since its not at the warehouse and at another store, there is a fee for breaking it down and reboxing it, and shipping it...so the price would end up being like $530. Plus they'd have to ship it to my apartment since they do not ship store to store, then I would take it to REI to have them put it together etc. Sounded like a hassle and at $530 not sure if the Diamondback Insight 2 or Trace Competition would be better buys??

This store did not have any of the Cannondales I listed, so it would have to go down with me ordering the Cannondale, and when it arrived if I did not like it "returning it" on the spot. So for now I am at home regrouping and will take any advice from you all on here who are way the heck wiser than me.

I am medically retired and on a fixed budget, plus am only hoping I make biking a habit but not sure I will get into it, so spending more than $500 seems like a gamble. With $400 in gift cards I will only have to spend another $100 out of pocket to be in the $500 range. I doubt I will be hard core about anything. If I ride it to and from my girlfriends a few times a week (10 mile round trip), to and from the gym a few times a week (5 mile round trip), and maybe yoga class (couple miles), or a joy round around town or along the ocean on the weekend I will be pumped to get the extra gentle cardio in. I've had a few bikes before that I never got into riding and it was just wasted money in the end giving one to a friend and selling the other bike dirt cheap in mint condition to avoid dealing with the Craigslist crazies.
Old 12-27-16, 06:10 PM
Powerlifter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
what sort of price range do you guys suggest if $500 is too low and narrows my options too much? Would bumping it up to $650 make that much of a difference?

Are Diamondback's not that great quality, with the Insight 2 and Trace Competition within my budget and in stock at my local REI store?

Should I stick to hybrid for my limited purpose, or would opening up my options to mountain bikes too help me find something descent? Is it really that much more effort on a mountain bike in an urban setting? I do not see myself getting into any hard core off roading because that would mean getting a bike rack and traveling....

Or I was wondering if I went on shady Craigslist if I sold me REI giftcards for a few bucks off if someone bought them would going to the local bike store open up my options? There are Helen'c Cycles shops all over LA (one near me) and they carry Cannondale and Trek along with other brands I never heard of...maybe I could eat $20 to get cash for REI gift cards if that would make a huge difference in my options.
Old 12-27-16, 06:15 PM
Snuts
Mid Tour!

Bikes: Marin Muirwoods Racked out for this years Tour, Norco Indi 4 racked out from last years tour, Giant Defi II for week-end ripps.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

I really like this advice.

All I might add, most shops provide follow up adjustments/service. Take them up on it at, say 100 miles (o.k 2 week) mark. Book it in for a wheel check, suspecting uneven spoke tension. Which may possibly be the case by then. Once you have enjoyed your new bike for 100 miles, name it like a pet. It may become quite dear to you.

Hope this might help.

Being on the forum will add to your cycling experience, enjoy yourself.
Welcome aboard.

-Snuts-
Old 12-27-16, 06:24 PM
Powerlifter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Snuts
I really like this advice.

All I might add, most shops provide follow up adjustments/service. Take them up on it at, say 100 miles (o.k 2 week) mark. Book it in for a wheel check, suspecting uneven spoke tension. Which may possibly be the case by then. Once you have enjoyed your new bike for 100 miles, name it like a pet. It may become quite dear to you.

Hope this might help.

Being on the forum will add to your cycling experience, enjoy yourself.
Welcome aboard.

-Snuts-
Thanks Snuts. REI gives you a free tune up after break in so hopefully that would cover it. The local chain Helen's cycles gives you free tune ups for first year (but I have REI gift cards so was hoping to find a bike that fits there).
Old 12-27-16, 06:33 PM
Snuts
Mid Tour!

Bikes: Marin Muirwoods Racked out for this years Tour, Norco Indi 4 racked out from last years tour, Giant Defi II for week-end ripps.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks Snuts. REI gives you a free tune up after break in so hopefully that would cover it. The local chain Helen's cycles gives you free tune ups for first year (but I have REI gift cards so was hoping to find a bike that fits there).
Don't feel you would be to bold by asking specifically for a re-tensioning of the spokes. As a customer, if you have a concern. Any shop would be glad to accommodate you.

"TELL THEM"!

-Snuts-
Old 12-28-16, 03:52 PM
ClydeTim
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Snuts
Don't feel you would be to bold by asking specifically for a re-tensioning of the spokes. As a customer, if you have a concern. Any shop would be glad to accommodate you.

"TELL THEM"!

-Snuts-
YES I AGREE!!!! TEll THEM!!!

Many times the shop gets lazy and trues the wheel (make it straight).

But for some reason, maybe not much wheel experience, sometimes just downright lazy, the free adjustment person will skip on the spoke tension check and adjustment.

If the tension is not proper, the wheel will continue to go out of true (straightness) and will start breaking spokes a thousand miles later.

To be honest Powerlifter, I think any of the bikes you listed would be fine for the purposes you listed. You don't need a front suspension imo. I rode a rigid fork on some narly offroad fast trails. But light offroad will be fine.

Plus if you plan to ride it to the gym, you don't want to leave a super expensive bike out there. Get a lock to lock it to the rack (so none can carry it away) and get a U lock to place through the frame and wheel ( so no one can ride it away).

The components are close in that range, altus alivio, pretty much the same and perform as well as one another.

I myself would not want to pay for REI to disassemble, re assemble issues. I'm more the you sell me a bike or forget it! I mean if you buy a bike from the floor, why would they charge you twice for assembly?
Old 12-28-16, 05:06 PM
Powerlifter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
YES I AGREE!!!! TEll THEM!!!

Many times the shop gets lazy and trues the wheel (make it straight).

But for some reason, maybe not much wheel experience, sometimes just downright lazy, the free adjustment person will skip on the spoke tension check and adjustment.

If the tension is not proper, the wheel will continue to go out of true (straightness) and will start breaking spokes a thousand miles later.

To be honest Powerlifter, I think any of the bikes you listed would be fine for the purposes you listed. You don't need a front suspension imo. I rode a rigid fork on some narly offroad fast trails. But light offroad will be fine.

Plus if you plan to ride it to the gym, you don't want to leave a super expensive bike out there. Get a lock to lock it to the rack (so none can carry it away) and get a U lock to place through the frame and wheel ( so no one can ride it away).

The components are close in that range, altus alivio, pretty much the same and perform as well as one another.

I myself would not want to pay for REI to disassemble, re assemble issues. I'm more the you sell me a bike or forget it! I mean if you buy a bike from the floor, why would they charge you twice for assembly?
Thanks Tim. Well they seem very nice there, both the guy on the floor in the bike section, and customer service up front, AND the lady I called in their customer service all felt bad about trying to get the Buzz and it costing more. Since its a leftover and only 3 left in nation, they are not in the warehouse like normal. So you basically pay for one shop in Nevada to take it apart off their floor and box it up, then ship it to you. Not a box from warehouse to your local store where they open it up and assemble it.

Right now their in stock bikes are limited as its the end of year and they are getting rid of the 2016 models and most of the 2017 models are not in yet. Speaking of which, it does seem if I waited I could get a Cannondale Quick 7 that is in the same price range as the Diamondbacks. I have not called yet to see when the new Cannondales will be in stock. I will call next week to see when they expect it to be available, and maybe it will be worth the wait and get it over the Diamondback Insight 2 (and skip on the Trace Competition since it has a front suspension).

Yea seems I will have to spend some money on extras so it doesnt get stolen. The u-bolt lock I got my girlfriends daughter was $45, so I will end up wanting one of those for myself, and then I assume the cord kind of lock to put through front tire, frame and whatever post. Not sure of the Cannondale but the Diamondback has those quick take off front wheel, so I would have to buy the lockable thingies since I do not plan on needing to take the front wheel off. In beach towns in LA bikes get stolen let and right...I would go bonkers if I paid $600, $800 or thousands of dollars for a bike that got stolen!!!! Even losing a $500 would make me nuts and for a second makes me think maybe the $150 Schwinn's from a department store would be better haha...
Old 12-28-16, 05:40 PM
ClydeTim
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You don't need to take the front wheel off if you use the lasso method with the cable. Get a nice thick cable too.

Place the end of the cable thru the other end while wrapping it around the front wheel. Run it thru the bike and thru the rear wheel. Then place the U lock thru the frame and place the end of the cable into the u lock.

Many people never heard of it, lousy artist but you get the idea.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
0lock.jpg (64.6 KB, 251 views)
Old 12-28-16, 07:56 PM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

Bikes: one for everything

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 913 Times in 275 Posts
If it was me, I'd get the lowest number Cannondale Trail series you can get. Too bad they moved the entire line from 29" to 27.5" as far as tire selection goes.

And if you get serious into bike and riding off road, a fork upgrade will transform that bike to a new level. The frame is solid and has a lifetime warranty to the first owner.

edit: i'd get the trail 5 for $598 vs spending 383, if you can swing the extra $200 outta pocket. Better fork, bit better drive trail and comes 9spd vs 8spd. All nets about 8 pounds lighter too. That's HUGE weight difference well worth $200. You will feel that difference on hills and mixed surfaces.

https://www.rei.com/product/892452/c...-275-bike-2016
Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.

Last edited by jsigone; 12-28-16 at 08:05 PM.
Old 12-28-16, 11:10 PM
Powerlifter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You don't need to take the front wheel off if you use the lasso method with the cable. Get a nice thick cable too.

Place the end of the cable thru the other end while wrapping it around the front wheel. Run it thru the bike and thru the rear wheel. Then place the U lock thru the frame and place the end of the cable into the u lock.

Many people never heard of it, lousy artist but you get the idea.
Thanks Tim!! If you have any specific suggestions on brand/model of cable and U lock please let me know. It makes sense for sure and would make me feel better, and probably look like a good deterrent as well.
Old 12-28-16, 11:19 PM
Powerlifter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jsigone
If it was me, I'd get the lowest number Cannondale Trail series you can get. Too bad they moved the entire line from 29" to 27.5" as far as tire selection goes.

And if you get serious into bike and riding off road, a fork upgrade will transform that bike to a new level. The frame is solid and has a lifetime warranty to the first owner.

edit: i'd get the trail 5 for $598 vs spending 383, if you can swing the extra $200 outta pocket. Better fork, bit better drive trail and comes 9spd vs 8spd. All nets about 8 pounds lighter too. That's HUGE weight difference well worth $200. You will feel that difference on hills and mixed surfaces.

https://www.rei.com/product/892452/c...-275-bike-2016
I can swing the $200...I will call tomorrow to see if they have it in the warehouse. It looks like another model they might be getting rid of the last few left in stores as it says only Large available, which should be my size (5'10)?? The sizing for Cannondale is not as clear as other bikes at REI according to height.

The bike stores and hyrbid forum make it sound like using a mountain bike around town makes it really difficult compared to a hybrid...I am not planning on being any sort of triathlete or distance guy so would hope its not like crazy difficult to go 5 miles in an urban setting on a mountain bike? I mean most people in my town use one speed beach cruisers. A legit mountain bike with that many gears has to be more efficient than a beach cruiser right?! And if perhaps the bug finally bites me, it would be cool to maybe do some off road. Who knows, the past few years I have done more yoga than MMA/Krav/Muay Thai. Maybe being in my 40s I will transition into bike riding as well, with the yoga, and less of the power/olympic lifting and MMA training.

Thanks for the tip and for looking at REIs site to help me out. If they have it at the warehouse I may put the order in tomorrow.

Last edited by Powerlifter; 12-28-16 at 11:30 PM.
Old 12-28-16, 11:43 PM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

Bikes: one for everything

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 913 Times in 275 Posts
IMO your likely between a Med or a large. Run shorter stem with the large frame or run the stock 100mm or longer with the med. If they don't have the exact model in the link ready to ride. well ride anything cannondale back to back in both sizes and one will click and one will feel out of place. If your body says medium but price tag is for a large, you will loose allot more money getting the wrong size bike and selling it later or worse not wanting to ride it. Get the bike size that fits as you're pedaling it.

Don't judge too much on stand over height with both feet on the ground, real world will likely be 1% chance you will have two feet down. Likely be on on the ground and the other on the pedal waiting for the the light to turn green.

The difference between a MTB and a hybid is 100% tires selection and tire/mud clearance oh and overall weight. It's very easy to convert a MTB to a hybrid with slick or less knobby tires but near impossible to find knobby tires that will clear a Hybrid frame/fork. Geo between them is on par.
Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.
Old 12-29-16, 01:45 AM
ClydeTim
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks Tim!! If you have any specific suggestions on brand/model of cable and U lock please let me know. It makes sense for sure and would make me feel better, and probably look like a good deterrent as well.

I'm sure there are plenty out there but I got mine a few years ago. It is a brand called "On Guard". Mine is the Pitbull model which sells for about $50. I might have paid $35 back then. Very solid lock though!

I don't remember where I got my cable but it is very thick compared to the wimpy cable I see online. I remember I got it for a good price and it didn't worry me like these thin cables. My cable is about 3 times as thick but I can't seem to find it online.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
0lock2.JPG (57.9 KB, 242 views)
Old 12-29-16, 09:39 AM
Powerlifter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jsigone
IMO your likely between a Med or a large. Run shorter stem with the large frame or run the stock 100mm or longer with the med. If they don't have the exact model in the link ready to ride. well ride anything cannondale back to back in both sizes and one will click and one will feel out of place. If your body says medium but price tag is for a large, you will loose allot more money getting the wrong size bike and selling it later or worse not wanting to ride it. Get the bike size that fits as you're pedaling it.

Don't judge too much on stand over height with both feet on the ground, real world will likely be 1% chance you will have two feet down. Likely be on on the ground and the other on the pedal waiting for the the light to turn green.

The difference between a MTB and a hybid is 100% tires selection and tire/mud clearance oh and overall weight. It's very easy to convert a MTB to a hybrid with slick or less knobby tires but near impossible to find knobby tires that will clear a Hybrid frame/fork. Geo between them is on par.
Thanks for this wisdom. I will go to the bike shop which is close to REI and likely has more Cannondale in stock and more knowledgeable folks to help size me. I would feel better to ride a Cannondale M and L before ordering.
Old 12-29-16, 09:41 AM
Powerlifter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm sure there are plenty out there but I got mine a few years ago. It is a brand called "On Guard". Mine is the Pitbull model which sells for about $50. I might have paid $35 back then. Very solid lock though!

I don't remember where I got my cable but it is very thick compared to the wimpy cable I see online. I remember I got it for a good price and it didn't worry me like these thin cables. My cable is about 3 times as thick but I can't seem to find it online.
Thanks Tim, once I find a bike I will look at REI and local bike shops for a heavy duty one. I bought the U lock for the beach cruiser because the bike shop said they know lots of people who get their bikes stolen with the thinner cables, and they've used bolt cutters and even hand tools before to cut through some of the cables that wasn't that difficult.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.