Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Chicago people -Bike the Drive?

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-17, 07:16 PM
DOGDAYS24

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Rr

Last edited by DOGDAYS24; 05-29-23 at 08:00 PM.
Old 05-24-17, 06:21 AM
Moriarty

Bikes: 2011 Trek Allant, 1990(?) Miele Tivoli Road Issue, 2016 Trek Emonda ALR5, 2000 Kona Hahanna

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That ride looks cool. Love biking in Chicago. Did a bike tour there 6 years ago and then rented a bike the next day to go check out Chess Records. It was great.

It looks like all the big cities have spring rides. I'd love to do the 5 Borough Tour in New York City. Here in Toronto, I'm doing the Ride For Heart on June 4. They shutdown a good chunk of the Gardiner Expressway and the Don Valley Parkway for the ride.

Have fun!
Old 05-25-17, 06:00 AM
Cyclist0084

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 90 Posts
Tips or suggestions? Well, some riders treat it as their own personal TdF time trial, so if you're not traveling 15 to 20 mph+, I'd advise staying to the right. The "racer boys" will get nasty (I know this from personal experience) if you get in their way.

I've done the ride 6 out of the past 10 years, so I'm sitting out this year. It is a fun ride, so you should enjoy it.

Last edited by Cyclist0084; 05-25-17 at 06:46 AM.
Old 05-25-17, 12:05 PM
DOGDAYS24

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
LOL, Thanks.

Originally Posted by IndianaRecRider
Tips or suggestions? Well, some riders treat it as their own personal TdF time trial, so if you're not traveling 15 to 20 mph+, I'd advise staying to the right. The "racer boys" will get nasty (I know this from personal experience) if you get in their way.

I've done the ride 6 out of the past 10 years, so I'm sitting out this year. It is a fun ride, so you should enjoy it.

Last edited by DOGDAYS24; 05-29-23 at 08:00 PM.
Old 05-25-17, 09:43 PM
slowpedaller

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you like lots of room around you, get there nice and early. By later in the ride, it can be a bit more crowded. Don't assume riders around you will stay in their lane, or that faster riders will stay to the left, so be cautious any time you pass. I have seen a few small collisions and plenty of close calls.

And you will probably pass people, there are a lot of very casual riders, families with small kids.

If you start near Columbus, and plan to do the full ride, you can go north or south first. The advice I got my first time was north first, because the biggest hill is near the end of that loop, the bridge over the chicago river, and better to do it in the middle of your ride than the end. Its the only point I see people getting off and walking uphill, though its not huge to me.

I've been going for about 10 years, it's really great to see the sights, and the unique people and bikes that come out. Fun to see such a diverse collection of bike riders, nothing like other rides around.

I'm one of those people who stay towards the left, trying to get in a full 60 miles in the 4.5 hrs of the ride, averaging 15mph but stopping for scenic pictures. But still, I am watching out for the fast ones coming up behind me.

Should be a good time, hope the weather cooperates!

Originally Posted by arizzo24
LOL, Thanks. I'll be living on the right.
Old 05-26-17, 05:09 AM
Cyclist0084

Originally Posted by slowpedaller
If you like lots of room around you, get there nice and early. By later in the ride, it can be a bit more crowded. Don't assume riders around you will stay in their lane, or that faster riders will stay to the left, so be cautious any time you pass. I have seen a few small collisions and plenty of close calls.

And you will probably pass people, there are a lot of very casual riders, families with small kids.

If you start near Columbus, and plan to do the full ride, you can go north or south first. The advice I got my first time was north first, because the biggest hill is near the end of that loop, the bridge over the chicago river, and better to do it in the middle of your ride than the end. Its the only point I see people getting off and walking uphill, though its not huge to me.

I've been going for about 10 years, it's really great to see the sights, and the unique people and bikes that come out. Fun to see such a diverse collection of bike riders, nothing like other rides around.

I'm one of those people who stay towards the left, trying to get in a full 60 miles in the 4.5 hrs of the ride, averaging 15mph but stopping for scenic pictures. But still, I am watching out for the fast ones coming up behind me.

Should be a good time, hope the weather cooperates!
Wish I had gotten that advice the first year I did the ride. Hadn't been back into serious riding for too long when I did BtD and wasn't in the best riding shape. Went south first and did the turn-around at MSI and had a nice tailwind heading north. Hit the bridge over the Chicago River and did pretty well...still going north with a tailwind. However....coming back south with a pretty stiff headwind, I thought I was gonna die trying to get back over the river. I didn't know if it was steeper coming at it from the north or I was just spent by the time I got back to it. Whatever the reason, every time I've done the ride since, I've always gone north first and have had no issues.

Old 06-02-17, 05:45 AM
Cyclist0084

Originally Posted by arizzo24
Anyone on here going Sunday? I'm going to go for the first time. If anyone has any tips or suggestions to make the most of the day I'm all ears.

Thanks
So, how was it?

Old 06-03-17, 10:19 PM
DOGDAYS24

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by IndianaRecRider
So, how was it?

👍. I'll

Last edited by DOGDAYS24; 05-29-23 at 08:01 PM.
Old 06-04-17, 09:32 PM
IAMAMRA
Big Boned Biker

Bikes: Raleigh Detour 4.5, Trek Crossrip Elite '14

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You should also check out Le Tour De Shore, sold out this year but put it on your list for next!