Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Your Weekend Cycling Ride Reports - Jan 20/21

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-18, 02:59 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts

Tell us about your cycling or other sports this weekend!
Old 01-20-18, 03:02 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Saturday -- While Rowan was busy with the cherries, I decided to get involved too ... and made cherry jam! My very first attempt at jam. I'll find out tomorrow if I was successful.

Then I went out for a bicycle ride and tackled some climbing.

Distance - 39.2 km
Elevation - 541 m
Moving Time - 2:13:26
Elapsed Time - 2:16:55
Speed: Avg: 17.6 km/h | Max: 42.5 km/h
Old 01-21-18, 05:43 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Sunday --

Today I got out for a rather challenging bicycle ride. I cycled up one hill and then decided to tackle another one right away ... up to a look out point.

Then everything was a bit of a mad dash ... quick bite to eat, groceries, and making scones.

First time I've ever made scones, and I had to make them fast so that Rowan could give them, and the jam, a try before he went to bed!! They turned out reasonably well ... just that next time I make them, I might make them slightly larger.

And the jam is all right ... tastes good, could be a little firmer, but all right. Especially for a first attempt.

Distance: 63.7 km (39.5 miles)
Elevation: 1,006 m (3300 ft)

Moving Time: 4:02:02
Elapsed Time: 4:28:56
Speed: Avg: 15.8 km/h | Max: 42.1 km/h

Old 01-21-18, 07:43 AM
Jakedatc

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Sat: Rode 27mi with a friend since the temps finally got above 40 and the roads were mostly dry. Still dialing in the fit on my new CX bike (28mm slicks on for winter road riding) few saddle adjustments made and i'm pretty close. another short ride planned tomorrow with the GF

Sunday: 27.5mi GF and I went out to our local orchard. They were having free apple and cheese tasting. Plus we got some cider donuts. good temps and not much wind made for a nice ride.

Last edited by Jakedatc; 01-21-18 at 02:41 PM.
Old 01-21-18, 07:46 AM
atwl77
Kamen Rider

Bikes: Fuji Transonic Elite, Marechal Soul Ultimate, Dahon Dash Altena

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 164 Posts
Saturday: Testing out a new pair of Panaracer Race A Evo3 tyres (700x25c). Two laps around my usual training route. Didn't feel like they were any better than my usual Panaracer GravelKings, and wet road cornering performance felt a bit iffy.

Moving Time:1:31:48
Distance: 47km
Avg Speed: 30.7km/h
Max Speed: 49.3km/h
Elevation Gain: 222m

Sunday: A really, really wet club ride. Darksky.net predicted mostly overcast skies followed by light rain in the afternoon, but after about 30km it started to drizzle and from that moment onwards we were beset by light showers, wet roads and puddles. Approx 80km into the ride it looked like the weather had let up, so we put on our arm warmers and sunblock, only to be beset by more rain shortly thereafter. And then in the last approx. 20km of the ride the clouds unloaded everything at us. Also got a lot of water in my mouth, both from the sky and the road... and sand too!

Moving Time: 5:45:40
Distance: 160.9km
Avg Speed: 27.9km/h
Max Speed: 52.6km/h
Elevation Gain: 950m (Strava-corrected; the weather confused the Garmin's elevation data)
Old 01-21-18, 03:57 PM
kbarch

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yesterday was just a jeans and sneakers ride on the FG - 15 miles and only 321'. Nice day, a little breezy, but mild. Lots of folks out, but not too many. A couple of big groups at The Market (turn-around snack spot), including a gang from NYCC who'd taken over the big table. Nothing set up outside, though, just a bunch of guys milling about who looked like they were waiting for Sprockets to start.

When I got underway I wondered briefly if I shouldn't sell the FG, since I don't ride it so much, will probably never go to the track, etc. But before the ride was half over, I realized what a great bike it is for training. Such a task-master! When the road slopes up, there's no bailing out; you gotta WORK! and when it slopes down, there's no coasting, you gotta KICK IT! If you don't, you'll get slapped around.

Today I wanted to ride up at Bear Mt., but didn't feel like riding the whole way there and back, since the days are still rather short. And since I didn't even wake up until 8:30 or so, a long ride wasn't happening, so I just drove up and parked in the big lot. $10?! Oh well. It was convenient and spacious anyhow. So, on the first trip up, not too far past the gate at Perkins, they were cutting trees and had blocked the road, so I didn't get to the top, but I made three trips as far as Perkins, and went and did Baby Bear for good measure. Just under 21 miles and 2400' in about 90 minutes. Managed to snag a couple of PR and silvers by keeping it in the big ring (well, big-ish: 50T) with minimal cross-chaining on the last trip up. Perfect little mid-day ride, except it was rather lonely. Saw a couple of usual riding mates on their way down as I was on my way up the first time, but that was about it. Recognized quite a few folks on 9W between Clinton Ave. and State Line on my way to the park and back, but I was in my car, so I don't think they saw me wave.
Old 01-21-18, 04:28 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Chilly, so I dawdled 'til almost noon before getting out

on longer standard loop, & paid a price as (head) winds had come up, and the bakery was closed at the stop.

73 miles, 4,900'

Flock of 16 turkeys, lots of green grass.

Later, the club hosted a bike fit clinic at the top shop in the area. Pizza, beer, & a blinky light.

Still collecting kudos on last weeks ride.
Old 01-21-18, 04:35 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 643 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 551 Posts
51 miles. Started around 10:30 and it was 50 degrees. Thought it would warm up more but it didn't. Pretty good cold wind coming home. Hot shower felt good.

Old 01-21-18, 04:54 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
40 miles Saturday, one of my few rides this month that wasn't just a short errand hop. Still busy and feeling puny from the flu since late December.

But I felt great Saturday. It was very windy, 15-17 mph steady from the south with 30 mph gusts. Not fun for the long ride I planned so I changed plans and decided to try for some new personal bests on a few northbound segments to take advantage of the tailwind.

My overall average speed was only 14 mph due to the grueling headwind, but I snagged a KOM, three new PRs and 12 achievements overall. Hey, I'm not fast, far from it, so I'm not seriously competitive against anyone on Strava. But I do get a kick of motivation when I improve on my own times. Motivates me to keep trying, even on days when I'd rather nap or watch TV.

And all the top 10 times on those segments were wind assisted. We're all using invisible doping so nobody gets upset. Anytime there's a strong, steady prevailing wind, you can bet a dozen or so of the fastest local riders will be out on those popular segments looking for ridiculous times that could never be done on a day without wind.

But I don't expect my shiny new KOM to stand for long. I know half a dozen folks who could beat my time easily just loafing. They just don't happen to ride that particular segment, so there's little competition. Still, it amuses me to see a KOM on a mediocre rider like myself.
Old 01-21-18, 07:11 PM
kbarch

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by canklecat
My overall average speed was only 14 mph due to the grueling headwind, but I snagged a KOM, three new PRs and 12 achievements overall. Hey, I'm not fast, far from it, so I'm not seriously competitive against anyone on Strava. But I do get a kick of motivation when I improve on my own times. ...

But I don't expect my shiny new KOM to stand for long. I know half a dozen folks who could beat my time easily just loafing. They just don't happen to ride that particular segment, so there's little competition. Still, it amuses me to see a KOM on a mediocre rider like myself.
No KOM lately, but I hear you.
The achievements I got a kick out of today were the ones where I got the best times so far this year. But only 30-40 other riders on those segments so far, and the weather hasn't been cooperative until this weekend.
Old 01-21-18, 07:31 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Friday: I had my longest ride of the year so far, at 30.2 miles. I hit some sandy main roads, snowpacked roads through a county park, and a couple of small residential hills covered in slush and ice. Good times!

Old 01-21-18, 09:08 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by canklecat
I know how it is ... I got a 5th place trophy among the women on a particular piece of my route on Sunday. A new bit I've never ridden. But evidently not a lot of women ride that because I'm 5th out of 6!
Old 01-22-18, 12:04 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by Ogsarg
51 miles. Started around 10:30 and it was 50 degrees. Thought it would warm up more but it didn't. Pretty good cold wind coming home. Hot shower felt good.

Hey, I just ordered that very same color Serfas Speed Bag. I already had the expandable medium bag in black, purchased locally. And while browsing Amazon looking for something else the other day I noticed the small Speed Bags in green and orange on sale for less than half price.

The color won't match any of my bikes but for the price I don't care. Great bags. I've compared dozens of bags at every local shop and nothing offered all the features of the Serfas at or near the same price. Nifty little pockets inside for organizing my Lezyne self adhesive patch kit, spare Missing Link, a sandwich baggie with ibuprofen and first aid needs, the little Mylar pouches of electrolyte powers, the key ring snap, etc.

Well made, too. Nothing has unraveled, torn or fallen apart, the zippers are rugged even when I overstuff the bag. And the reflective bits enhance visibility.

I always end up overpacking the expandable medium bag on my road bike, carrying more stuff than I need ("Do I really need that USB battery for a 40 mile ride? Hmmmyeahmaybenoprobablynot..."), so the small should force me to pack more carefully.