Search
Notices
Pills and Ills This is a discussion subforum for the health challenges faced by riders 50+. These discussions are in no way to be considered professional medical advice.

Fractured Elbow

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-23, 04:33 PM
bikehoco

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 53 Posts
Fractured Elbow

Anyone ride after an accident with fractured elbow? What was the recovery like?
Old 07-31-23, 07:49 PM
gringomojado

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 86 Posts
Hard for a hand cyclist!

gm
Old 08-01-23, 04:20 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
A 50-something y/o friend needed about a year to recover from an elbow fracture, but there was also significant nerve damage. She stayed in shape riding an indoor trainer with one of the online apps and devices, and found a virtual group that suited her.

If there isn't significant nerve damage your recovery should be quicker. But age is a wild card that adds guesswork to recovery. I was hit by a car a few years ago at age 60, breaking and dislocating my shoulder and re-injuring a 20 year old neck injury. I expected to need only a few weeks to recover but it took about a year before I felt fully recovered. Turned out I also had thyroid cancer and bone density loss due to insufficient thyroid activity, which prolonged recovery.

In my case I stayed in shape by switching to walking, then jogging as I adapted, and used the indoor trainer quite a bit. So as the shoulder healed I needed only a few weeks to get back into good condition. In fact, I was stronger and faster a year after the injury than before, but that was due in part to getting thyroid supplements to make up for my wonky thyroid. It had declined so gradually over the years I didn't realize what the problem was until a blood test and endocrinologist identified the problem.

And do the appropriate physical therapy. It'll probably be uncomfortable but it really helps. I was caregiver for my mom and both grandparents and saw the difference physical therapy made. My grandmother was very cooperative and recovered quickly. Granddad wouldn't cooperate with PT for his knee replacement and it never healed properly. His overall health declined due to inactivity. My mom's first knee surgery was a mess and she wouldn't do the PT. With her second knee replacement in 2006 I moved closer to her to check on her daily and encourage her to do the PT. She fussed and cussed at me but healed properly. So when she had shoulder replacement surgery in 2010 she didn't need me to encourage or badger her to do the PT, and recovered so well we both tended to forget which shoulder had the replacement.
Likes For canklecat: