Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+) > Pills and Ills
Reload this Page >

Help Preparing for Knee Replacement

Search
Notices
Pills and Ills This is a discussion subforum for the health challenges faced by riders 50+. These discussions are in no way to be considered professional medical advice.

Help Preparing for Knee Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-23, 09:53 PM
Chancy

Bikes: S&S Santana Beyond & S&S Santana Arriva. Trek Domane 3.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
Any Tips Sleeping Post TKR

Originally Posted by laxpatrick
My big gains at PT are shadowed by a horrible night lacking in good sleep. I’ll figure this out eventually…. lol
Funny your mention lack of sleeping. I was sleeping good the first 4 nights and now less so the last 2. I am re-reading old posts regarding sleeping early on to see if there is anything I can include in my nightly routine, that I am not already doing.

Tailwinds,
Charlie
Old 11-09-23, 07:12 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2326 Post(s)
Liked 4,993 Times in 1,778 Posts
Glad you are doing well with it!

I just got home from having the right one replaced yesterday. Off the bat I have more stability, strength, and flexibility than I did with my left one. Hoping recovery goes faster this time. This time around they approved me to go right to the cane since I was able to walk down the hall and up and down stairs with no aid at all.
Old 11-11-23, 02:15 PM
laxpatrick

Bikes: Canyon, Gunnar, Speshes mtb and phat

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Monday will be two weeks. Going for longer walks and spinning on the trainer (10 mins yesterday!). Still lacking quality sleep, opioids not really doing what I need them to do. Have tried CBD-A and ambien, neither did the trick.

Liking the HyperIce X. Super convenient.

feel like I’m getting “new” muscle engagement with the front quads now feeling part of the equation. Walks and spinning are governed somewhat by quad cramps but making progress, I think.

range of motion continues to be a breeze for me, Thursday I was at 116*. Good friend did a partial knee the day after mine and he’s at about 90…
Old 11-12-23, 12:18 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 414 Posts
TKR surgery day +19. Rode 16 miles on the commuter bike. Average speed of just 11.1mph, and only 593 elevation gain…using flat pedals. But I’m already back out there. In the next day or two I may try the road bike, with clipless pedals.

Dan

Last edited by _ForceD_; 11-13-23 at 12:29 AM.
Old 11-13-23, 12:33 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Originally Posted by _ForceD_
TKR surgery day +19. Rode 16 miles on the commuter bike. Average speed of just 11.1mph, and only 593 elevation gain…using flat pedals. But I’m already back out there. In the next day or two I may try the road bike, with clipless pedals.

Dan
TKR Day +20 — Today another 16 miles on the road bike, seat height normal, clipless pedals. Ready to increase distance. Pretty much back to normal.

Dan
Likes For _ForceD_:
Old 11-13-23, 08:13 AM
laxpatrick

TKR Week 2 here - Hoping for some changes this week. Mobility is good, only minor pain. Worst is still night time trying to sleep, falling back on the Oxy only at night just to function (work from bed). Aching pain with occasional muscle spasms, Supposed to get dressing removed this week (Thursday DIY) - I have a "special mesh glue. Buddy with the partial the day after mine has staples, coming out tomorrow. Same boat as me RE pain and sleeping. Hoping for improvement this week and a decent ride spinning on the trainer today.
Old 11-13-23, 09:38 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

TKR Week 2 here - Hoping for some changes this week. Mobility is good, only minor pain. Worst is still night time trying to sleep, falling back on the Oxy only at night just to function (work from bed). Aching pain with occasional muscle spasms, Supposed to get dressing removed this week (Thursday DIY) - I have a "special mesh glue. Buddy with the partial the day after mine has staples, coming out tomorrow. Same boat as me RE pain and sleeping. Hoping for improvement this week and a decent ride spinning on the trainer today.
Sounds like your procedure/condition is similar to mine. 11/13 is my TKR day +21. The nighttime aching…due to swelling…is no fun. I’m icing when I can, and also using a compression sock from hip to foot and it is really helping. I’m back on the bike, and the increased activity seem to be increasing circulation which in turn helps elevate the swelling. I stopped the Oxys after a week. I’m still managing using Tylenol and Advil each every 8 hours, staggered by 4 hours…and one Tramadol late at night just before I lay down to sleep.

Dan
Old 11-13-23, 09:46 AM
laxpatrick

Hoping to get cleared for some kind of NSAID, esp Ibuprofen - Tylenol doesn't help at all. Had been on celebrex but just ran out of that. Daily aspiring for preventing DVT seems to be the only thing I'm taking that HELPS with inflammation/swelling.
Old 11-13-23, 06:05 PM
Chancy

Folks,
TKR Day +10 and still on Oxy. I'll get 6-7 hours of broken sleep (broken up by trips to bathroom and a little tossing and turning), then one night of only 3-4 hours of fitful sleep. I sleep with the ice machine as well, without it I am sure I would be worse. When I get up from being in bed during the night I initially have pretty good leg pain, in the knee and sometimes thigh and lower leg. This pain & instability is sudden and strong enough that I can barely make it to the bathroom with the walker. After the 10-12 steps from the bed to the bathroom the pain and instability ebbs and I can manuever better. This happens whether I take a short nap in the day or lam aying down for the night. The pain and instability/lack of strength only lasts for ~12 steps (30 seconds) or so. The Home PT came by today and after the stretches etc. she told me switch to walking with a cane today and I liked it, progress! I am worried it will be tough getting up from bed with just a cane. I'll keep the walker very close tonight and see how I do.
Anybody else have this sort of pain with instability upon initial rising and walking? Before TKR I was very stiff getting out of bed and yes after many steps thing lossen up some, but no sudden pain or "might fall" instability.
Tailwinds,
Charlie
P.S. What is Tramadol?
Old 11-13-23, 06:50 PM
MikeWMass

Bikes: Velosolex St. Tropez, LeMond Zurich (spine bike), Rotator swb recumbent

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 32 Posts
1. After my TKR I never used a walker during the day, but kept it by the bed for several weeks for bathroom trips; I really didn't want to fall.
2. It took me a good 3-4 weeks before I was able to walk without a good deal of pain.
3. Tramadol is a synthetic opioid that was thought to be safer than true opiates (morphine, oxycodone, hydrocodone etc) but is probably not safer and in my experience is not as effective.

Last edited by MikeWMass; 11-13-23 at 06:51 PM. Reason: afterthought
Old 11-15-23, 01:54 PM
Speedskater

Bikes: Bob Jackson, Trek & Sampson

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
I saw my buddy the other night, the speedskating one that I have written about before. It's now 10½ months after his second leg's total knee replacement. He was doing a practice speedskating race (he was a referee 2 months after). He was skating about as fast as he did 3 years ago. He said that he road his road bike 1200 miles this year. He is 67½ and must work 70 hours a week.

Last edited by Speedskater; 11-15-23 at 02:00 PM.
Old 11-17-23, 02:17 PM
laxpatrick

Update, 18 days post TKR. Had a phone call with the Ortho nurse yesterday - to discuss my current medication approach and to remove my dressing. My incision was closed with a "special glue mesh" - that is a polyester mesh and cyanoacrylate glue formulation. I took it off myself and it looks fantastic. Maybe way better than my partial KR buddy who had his done the day after mine - non-robotic, with staples. Time will tell.

Best part of the call was getting cleared to start taking NSAID's - so in my case Ibuprofen. I'd found that tylenol doesn't do much of anything and the opioids (oxy 5mg) have many, many undesirable side effects. 24 hours in, really feeling like the Ibuprofen is doing a solid job keeping inflammation down and pain has been far less.

I've sadly been advised to dial the walking and cycling back as they were exacerbating the inflammation but I'm optimistic that the NSAID's will reopen that door rather quickly.

Much less pain walking around, at PT yesterday got to 122 degrees range and 0 flat doing a supported (both legs!) leg press!

Hopefully out of the rut I've been feeling in the last few days!
Old 11-17-23, 10:12 PM
Chancy

QUOTE=jamesdak;23061682]
Old 11-17-23, 10:29 PM
Chancy

Per Jamesdak
"Sleep is one thing they did not warn me about. I had a really hard time sleeping for a couple of months. Doc's said that's pretty normal even they are not sure why. My pain med guy had me start taking 3mg of Melatonin and that helped a lot."

Yeah, nobody warned me either but post-op, hospital staff, PT's all speak as if it is a well known fact that your won't sleep good for many weeks or months.
I am TKR day +14 and haven't sleep more than 4 1/2 hrs in a week. Using Ice machine nightly.
Jamesdak-, your taking 3 mg Melatonin, 3x1 tab or 1x3 tab, morning or night, what brand or does brand make a difference? I am looking for some help. Currently sleeping 3 - 4 hrs tossing and turning, checking the clock to see if I've made any progress. Very frustrating.
Tailwinds,
Charlie
Old 11-21-23, 12:44 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

My incision, four weeks to the day from my surgery. Have been back to cycling for about 10-12 days. Was only waiting for the incision to heal properly, and today was back in the pool for a 1½ swim.

Dan
Old 11-22-23, 10:03 AM
laxpatrick

Hit 130 degrees to celebrate my 3 weeks plus a day milestone. Still stiff, gets angry with too much loading up. Getting to some strengthening exercises - small stair step, leg press (which is what my PT also uses for flex testing). RN said keep bike trainer to < 10 minutes, PT said do as much as I want. Am off the oxy and able to drive, etc.

My scar looks similar to yours, Dan. I had the super glue - seems to have a smaller scar potential vs. my buddy who had staples. Can't complain, gained a bit more ROM with removal of the dressing at 2.5 weeks.

A lot of folks ask if I'm getting the left one done. My immediate answer is H3LL no - and I'm fortunate that I don't have issues yet. I do think that when you talk to folks who are < 3 months they constantly voice concern/regret. Once past 3 months they say it's the best thing they've ever done. We'll see how I line up with that...
Old 11-22-23, 08:18 PM
Chancy

TKR +20 days: Sleep is better the last 3 nights. Started 3 mg of Melatonin and adjusted the timing of my nightl time pain med. Now I am sleeping 6 1/2 - 7 hours (with 2 bathroom trips thrown in to remind me that I am 70 yrs old)! Still having to work at reducing swelling, it is causing a little drainage after PT. So now I am laying on the sofa with my heel on the sofa back (knee well above the heart) and the ice machine on. Doc says this should fix it.
Tailwinds and good recovery to all,
Charlie
Old 11-23-23, 08:32 AM
Speedskater

I'm approaching 6 & ½ months since TKA, Some random thoughts.
a] The surgeon said to come back next May.
b] the physical therapist cast me loose some 7 weeks ago.
c] I had staples, the nurse used electrician's tools to remove them.
d] It took months to get to 130 degree range of motion.
e] While every leg press machine is different, I was doing 2 & ½ time body weight at the therapy center. 20 or 40 pounds more with the good leg.
f] I have been doing a lot of stairs in my 1 hour walk in the park. At day 45, I did 100 steps. Now I do 500 to 700 steps.
h] It's turning into Winter and I'm having a harder time doing knee things.
Old 11-26-23, 11:36 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

I’m five weeks out from my surgery date (Oct 23). With the exception of the discomfort from continued swelling, everything else is going well. I’m back to normal riding, and swimming. The one minor issue I am having just since the surgery is that I’m always cold. Not “freezing” but I just need to wear a hoodie sweatshirt around the house when a long sleeve T-shirt would normally be fine this time of year. Not sure why this is. Maybe it’s the impact on my circulation that the swelling is causing. I know it’s only minor, but maybe just enough to make me feel a bit cold. Anyone else have this issue?

Dan
Old 11-27-23, 07:30 AM
RB1-luvr
I don't know.

Bikes: '90 B'stone RB-1, '92 B'stone RB-2, '89 SuperGo Access Comp, '03 Access 69er, '23 Trek 520, '14 Ritchey Road Logic, '09 Kestrel Evoke, '08 Windsor Tourist, '17 Surly Wednesday, '89 Centurion Accordo, '15 CruX, '17 Ridley X-Night, '89 Marinoni

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 853 Times in 446 Posts
thanks to all who've posted their experiences here. I've read them all with interest, as I may be headed toward this operation. I hope you all continue to heal and progress.
Old 11-27-23, 07:58 AM
Speedskater

I have always had low body temperature. In the past it was sometimes more than a degree Fº low. In the Spring or Fall when running or riding with a group, I always had more clothing than anyone else. In the Summer everyone one else complained about the heat on a pleasant day.
But since my TKA surgery, I'm just the opposite, I'm OK with lower temperatures.
Old 11-27-23, 08:57 AM
laxpatrick

TKR plus 4 weeks today. Sleep is still elusive. Wondering when I'll be able to start stacking on some miiles walking, etc. without the cycle of inflammation? I've fine with 20 minutes on the trainer and getting around OK, but wondering when others "turned the corner" and started getting some gains.

I've been doing twice weekly PT. Finally doing leg presses and starting to rebuild strength. I can finally walk up a flight of stairs without doing the one leg cheat. Driving and off the Oxy which is a good thing. Overall mobility is good - just passed 133 degrees at PT last week.

I'm getting around well, just not "normal" yet. Stiffness and swelling continue.
Old 11-27-23, 10:18 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

TKR plus 4 weeks today. Sleep is still elusive. Wondering when I'll be able to start stacking on some miiles walking, etc. without the cycle of inflammation? I've fine with 20 minutes on the trainer and getting around OK, but wondering when others "turned the corner" and started getting some gains.

I've been doing twice weekly PT. Finally doing leg presses and starting to rebuild strength. I can finally walk up a flight of stairs without doing the one leg cheat. Driving and off the Oxy which is a good thing. Overall mobility is good - just passed 133 degrees at PT last week.

I'm getting around well, just not "normal" yet. Stiffness and swelling continue.
Patrick — I guess everyone recoups at different rates. I’m at 5 weeks today, and have been back on the bike for 2½ weeks now. I’m sure you’ll get there. Keep up the good work. But…regarding your sleep…after a couple weeks…since I was mostly feeling OK during the day…I stopped taking pain meds during the day. Then, at night about a half hour before going to bed for the night, I ice for 20 minutes, then take 600mg ibuprofen, one 50mg tramadol (I was advised that combo is OK), and one 5mg melatonin. With the exception of getting up to pee…I’m sleeping through the night. Good luck. — Dan
Old 11-27-23, 08:21 PM
Chancy

Patrick,
I am TKR plus 24 days and sleep is decent. I was sleeping 3-4 1/2 hrs a night but after starting 3 mg Melatonin and adjusting my evening pain med to right at bedtime it's been 7-8 hrs a night. The sleep is still not as good quality as pre surgery but a lot better than the fitfull 3-4 hrs I was getting. Once awake and moving in the morning I feel rested and am no longer dozing off mid-day. I envy your 133 degrees ROM. I am only at 110, and that is with considerable pain. Well we all rehab at different rates...although being active definitely helps! I am also impatient and anxious to get back riding. I can't do a full revolution on the trainer yet.
tailwinds,
Charlie
Old 11-27-23, 08:31 PM
Chancy

_ForceD_
"The one minor issue I am having just since the surgery is that I’m always cold. Not “freezing” but I just need to wear a hoodie sweatshirt around the house when a long sleeve T-shirt would normally be fine this time of year. Not sure why this is. Maybe it’s the impact on my circulation that the swelling is causing. I know it’s only minor, but maybe just enough to make me feel a bit cold. Anyone else have this issue?"
Dan,
I am TKR post 24 days and...I have the exact same issue! Nothing major, but yes I need a little extra clothing or bedding these days. Normally my wife is the cold one but I am right there with her now. I suspect this will go away in time. I don't really worry about it for it's a minor thing and easily solvable.
Congrats on all your progress.
Tailwinds,
Charlie

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.