Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Has anyone heard of a Free Spirit?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Has anyone heard of a Free Spirit?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-12, 07:39 PM
dbakl

Bikes: Cinelli, Paramount, Raleigh, Carlton, Zeus, Gemniani, Frejus, Legnano, Pinarello, Falcon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Here's a frame I just saw on ebay, probably a 60s one.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-56cm...item5ae501b50f
Old 02-08-12, 08:48 PM
Kanegon

Bikes: Topstone, Chisel, 930, Facet

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
I didn't have a Free Spirit, but my SCREAMER was cool looking if not impossibly heavy. I remember drag racing with my neighbor who had a green Stingray. Mine had the rear slick and parking brake. Yup, I saw the ad in Boys Life!

Looks like full suspension, but i remember the rear coils didn't telescope!
Old 02-11-12, 02:38 PM
k_as_in_knife
Deadweight de Luxe

Bikes: 1976 (ish) Viscount Aerospace Pro, 1977 Schwinn Super LeTour 12.2, 1992 Schwinn PDG Series 2, 1996 Rivendell Road Standard

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had one of those too! I'm pretty sure the rears springs did work, but both front and rear springs were so stiff they rarely moved much.

Had a heck of a crash on mine - started to shimmy down a hill (somewhere over 35mph probably) and turned into a real tank-slapper and pitched me off. Of course I went right back riding it after the collarbone healed :-)

Oh yeah, the shifter had detents, so it was more-or-less indexed.
Old 02-11-12, 05:31 PM
sailorbenjamin

Bikes: one of each

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by dbakl
Here's a frame I just saw on ebay, probably a 60s one.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-56cm...item5ae501b50f
That's one of the better looking $56 bikes I've seen.
Old 02-12-12, 05:10 AM
Mos6502
Elitest Murray Owner

Bikes: 1972 Columbia Tourist Expert III, Columbia Roadster

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
Hi Welcome to the forums. is there something wrong with it? It looks ot me like it just needs a basic tuneup and some zipties to tidy up the cables.

I do not resell may bikes so I can't help much on the value, but it looks ot have seen little use

It's a Murray made model. $25-$50 tops. You could put it on CL for $400 though since that is what most people do with these.

On topic again, Sears applied the Free Spirit name to dozens of manufacturers. There go-to companies were Murray in the U.S. and Puch in Austria. But during the boom years they had to sell bikes from just about anybody they could find.

Huffy was a big one, but they also got some bikes from AMF, and Ross. In years of watching ebay auctions, I've only ever seen one Columbia badged as a Free Spirit. Rollfast may have escaped re-badging since they seem to have gone under about the same time Sears was struggling to meet demand. In the late 70s/early 80s they began importing bikes from Taiwan too.

They even sold some French made ten speeds, but I have not seen one in person.
Old 05-26-12, 05:45 PM
Norgale

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New guy here. Have a Brittany Free Spirit with a coaster brake and standard handlebars, It's a three speed girls bike in pretty decent condition but the shifter handle ,which is mounted on the right side of the handlebar,is busted. The cable end is there but the top part and the shifting lever is missing. I'd really like to get this bike repaired but it's been impossible to find the part so far. Any help will be appreciated. Pete
Old 05-26-12, 06:39 PM
TNDave

Bikes: 2008 Gary Fisher Monona, 1997 Univega Alpina 550, 1980 Nishiki International, 1993 Specialized Epic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's funny that you posted this - I was just at my parent's today and my dad had pulled my sisters old bike out of the shed. It was an old 5-speed Free Spirit from the mid 70's and was in great shape. I gave it a quick look and am planning on looking it over more carefully next time to see if I can fix it up for my wife or daughter.
Old 05-26-12, 07:37 PM
Mos6502
Elitest Murray Owner

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Norgale
New guy here. Have a Brittany Free Spirit with a coaster brake and standard handlebars, It's a three speed girls bike in pretty decent condition but the shifter handle ,which is mounted on the right side of the handlebar,is busted. The cable end is there but the top part and the shifting lever is missing. I'd really like to get this bike repaired but it's been impossible to find the part so far. Any help will be appreciated. Pete
It would help to know what brand is on the coaster brake. I'm going to guess Shimano though, so you're probably looking for Shimano 333 parts. Easy to find on ebay.
Old 05-26-12, 07:46 PM
Chris_in_Miami
missing in action

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 29 Posts
Does it say "Shimano" on it? I might have one in my parts bin.
Old 05-26-12, 07:47 PM
Chris_in_Miami
missing in action

Originally Posted by TNDave
It's funny that you posted this - I was just at my parent's today and my dad had pulled my sisters old bike out of the shed. It was an old 5-speed Free Spirit from the mid 70's and was in great shape. I gave it a quick look and am planning on looking it over more carefully next time to see if I can fix it up for my wife or daughter.
Wow, no love for the girls?

Old 05-28-12, 06:11 AM
Norgale

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris_in_Miami
I'll look at it later today as I don't have the bike where I live. Appreciate the replies. Pete
Old 05-29-12, 03:14 PM
Norgale

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris_in_Miami
Yes it says Shimono 3CC on the rear drum and the little handle that is tied to the frame. Guess you can tell I don't have a lot of knowlege on bikes and their parts. Let me know if you have the shifter part and what you want for it. Thanks very much.
I would also like to know where I can get some of the original color paint for this bike. It's a real pretty metallic maroon. Pete
Old 05-29-12, 04:52 PM
Mos6502
Elitest Murray Owner

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
The 3CC uses the same shifter as the 333 hub. Should be pretty easy to find the lever and cable for it.
Old 05-29-12, 06:00 PM
Chris_in_Miami
missing in action

Yes it says Shimono 3CC on the rear drum and the little handle that is tied to the frame. Guess you can tell I don't have a lot of knowlege on bikes and their parts. Let me know if you have the shifter part and what you want for it. Thanks very much.
I would also like to know where I can get some of the original color paint for this bike. It's a real pretty metallic maroon. Pete
You can have the unit I've got, sent you a PM with my email address.
Old 06-18-12, 11:03 PM
Michelle702

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sears Free Spirit 1.0 HP Bicycle Assist Motor

We recently came across a Sears Free Spirit 1.0 HP Bicycle Assist Motor. A co-worker was going through his garage found it and was going to trash it. Offered to take it off his hands for next to nothing. All we knew was that it was old, never used, still in original box with all the paperwork.

Was wondering if it's worth anything or some history on it. I would assume since it was made by Sears it was readily available and not rare at all. Just wanting to see if anyone could shed some light on this item.

Thanks,

Michelle
Old 10-31-12, 06:08 AM
akcapbikeforums

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
We have this three speed listed in our local CL... nice rear rack, one piece crank (?)
hub controls on the left... interesting:

https://norfolk.craigslist.org/bik/3375779568.html
Old 10-31-12, 06:34 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Originally Posted by Michelle702
We recently came across a Sears Free Spirit 1.0 HP Bicycle Assist Motor. A co-worker was going through his garage found it and was going to trash it. Offered to take it off his hands for next to nothing. All we knew was that it was old, never used, still in original box with all the paperwork.

Was wondering if it's worth anything or some history on it. I would assume since it was made by Sears it was readily available and not rare at all. Just wanting to see if anyone could shed some light on this item.

Thanks,

Michelle
Not rare, not valuable, its a novelty piece.

Sears did not make anything, they just branded stuff others made.
Please don't confuse ebay "asking" prices with "selling" prices. Many sellers never get their ask price. some are far from it. Value is determined once an item actually SELLS. Its easy enough to check SOLD prices.
Old 10-31-12, 06:52 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
I avoided this thread for a few years, don't know why I did, it brings back so many great memories for me. My very first "10-speed" bicycle was a Sears, Puch, Free Spirit, I got new in June 1971. It was a pretty metal flake orange, had simplex derailleurs and shifters on the top tube. The usual Troxler vinyl covered internal springs saddle, steel Ashtabula crank and rubber covered pedals were on board. My parents ordered it out of our ubiquitous Sears and Roebuck spring/summer catalog for me, it was about $75.00 IIRC. Sears was out of the model we ordered so I was shipped the next model up, no extra charge. I assembled it in our den.

I swapped the stock tyres for Schwinn Puff Hi-Pressure 27-1-1/4", installed Weinemann center pull brakes and Schwinn "rat-trap" pedals with toe clips and straps. It actually rode well for a gas pipe frame, the steel rims and wet weather braking was the weak part of the build. I never broke a spoke or had a mechanical on it and learned how to work on bicycles and maintain them on this bike.

I rode that bike everywhere without a thought to traffic or anything else. It was my ticket to teenaged freedom at 14 and I loved every minute of it. The bike was really pretty, it caught the eye of this beautiful black haired, dark complected, brown eyed girl too. I married her in 1976 and now we ride bikes together.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Last edited by qcpmsame; 10-31-12 at 06:59 AM.
Old 10-31-12, 01:14 PM
Juggler2
W A N T E D

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My two younger brothers each had new mid seventy's Free Spirits. I remember they were primarily white in color, trimed in red and blue. Not saying they were '76 models, but those were the colors. Both were identical 10spd bikes.
Old 10-31-12, 02:10 PM
loubapache

Bikes: 2015 Windsor Oxford; 2012 Trek T900; 2008 Iron Horse Commuter; 1999 Specialized Stumpjumper M2 Pro; 1999 Kona Lava Dome; 1992 Trek 520 Tour; 1980 Fuji Grand Tour SE; 1973 Raleigh LTD-3; 1956 Robin Hood; 198x Worksman Industrial Trike

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I also have one of these (white) Free Spirit using the Shimano 3-speed with coaster brakes. Very smooth bike. I believe it was a Shimano SC rear hub.

The front brake is actually one of the early dual pivot models. However, I moved the wheels to an aluminum cruiser frame I have and now I have a 3-speed with coaster brake cruiser that has 26x1-3/8 wheels.
Old 12-15-12, 10:29 AM
jkbrink

Bikes: 1977 Sears Free Spirit / 1986 Cannondale SR500 / 2008 Masi Volumetrica 3VC / 2010 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1977 Sears Free Spirit 10-speed

I have a 1977 Sears Free Spirit 10-speed road bike bought used in 1978. After briefly using that year it ended up in the basement untl 2007. I started riding 20-30 miles 5-7x a week and really like this bike. Its got a soft ride and quick acceleration. There's a serical number stamped on the head tube: 502 474460S7300950. Some of the original equipment: DiaComp brakes, Uniglide Thunder Bird front derailluer; Shimano Eable II rear derailluer; Friction shifters (not marked) mounted on the quill stem; Jun quill stem; Three Arrows stamped on crank arms; C6 stamped on platform pedals;Permaco 741 saddle (made in USA)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Free Spirit.jpg (37.9 KB, 943 views)
Old 12-15-12, 11:17 AM
dbakl

Bikes: Cinelli, Paramount, Raleigh, Carlton, Zeus, Gemniani, Frejus, Legnano, Pinarello, Falcon

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
I have a couple of the top of the line Ted Williams Free Spirits with 531 frames, one as a single speed and one slightly upgraded from original. Yes, that was a Sears brand name.
Attached Images
sears.jpg (88.5 KB, 448 views)
ss6.jpg (56.7 KB, 462 views)
Old 12-15-12, 11:21 AM
mickey85
perpetually frazzled

Bikes: 1977 Bridgestone Kabuki Super Speed; 1979 Raleigh Professional; 1983 Raleigh Rapide mixte; 1974 Peugeot UO-8; 1993 Univega Activa Trail; 1972 Raleigh Sports; 1967 Phillips; 1981 Schwinn World Tourist; 1976 Schwinn LeTour mixte; 1964 Western Flyer

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Jkbrink - That's a Puch made model - higher end than the American built Murrays, but given the cottered cranks in 1977, still not very high up the food chain...
Old 12-16-12, 08:38 AM
Glennfordx4

Bikes: Too many Bicycles to list

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by mickey85
Jkbrink - That's a Puch made model - higher end than the American built Murrays, but given the cottered cranks in 1977, still not very high up the food chain...
Actually it's a Murray the 502. in the serial/model number denotes that, the first three numbers followed by the point . tells who made it for sears & 502. is Murray. I have a list that has been handed down to me from a previous boss that has a lot of the older Who Makes What For Sears info on it, some of it pertains to bicycles but most for power equipment which Murray is also known for. 917. is Poulan/weedeater/AYP which most of their lawn mowers are built by.

Glenn

Last edited by Glennfordx4; 12-16-12 at 08:42 AM.
Old 12-16-12, 05:56 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,047 Posts
Originally Posted by John E
decent 3-speeds and basic 10-speeds from Steyr-Daimler-Puch (Graz, Austria)...
I was going to ditch this bike after scavenging it for parts then realized the frame was very light and strong so I rebuilt it - Its a Sears Ted Williams (Also Free Spirit) - Its a real sleeper for speed...
Attached Images
FrnknTed1.jpg (99.5 KB, 477 views)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.