Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Car Free, or TV free...

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Car Free, or TV free...

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-08, 05:36 PM
murphstahoe

Bikes: Seven Axiom, Gary Fisher Sugar, Lemond Buenos Aires, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Car Free, or TV free...

TV free!

https://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080624/...coUf25zNHtiBIF
Old 06-24-08, 06:42 PM
bike2math

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Some kids who need some real problems.
Old 06-24-08, 07:08 PM
JosephPaul86
Change=inevitable. ?=+/-

Bikes: MTB, 700c commuter, BMX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm both and happy as can be. But I do use my computer monitor to play xbox. Yeah, I spoil myself.
Old 06-24-08, 07:41 PM
dynodonn 
Banned

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1268 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 67 Posts
Thank goodness that when I was a their age that gas was cheap and there was only 2 channels to watch using the rabbit ears, the only times I lost my television as a child was either due to one of the TV's tubes overheating and blowing out, or as punishment, then I had to go outside and play and having to use my imagination.

Old 06-24-08, 10:30 PM
Sianelle 
Sister Annie

Bikes: Retro Hercules adult tricycle, 1953 Hercules ladies roadster, 1950s Wearwell fixed gear 'Club' pathracer, 1980s Malvern Star 'Super Star', 1980s Healing GTX-105 Arabesque, 1980's Morrison Concorde & etc & etc.......

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Oh for heaven's sake
OMNIPOTENS aeterne Deus, qui nos secundum imaginem Tuam plasmasti, et omnia bona, vera, pulchra, praesertim in divina persona Unigeniti Filii Tui Domini nostri Iesu Christi, quaerere iussisti, praesta quaesumus ut, per intercessionem Sancti Isidori, Episcopi et Doctoris, in peregrinationibus per interrete factis et manus oculosque ad quae Tibi sunt placita intendamus et omnes quos convenimus cum caritate ac patientia accipiamus. Per Christum Dominum nostrum. Amen.
Old 06-24-08, 10:59 PM
robinthehippie
that strange guy

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker, Nishiki Century (frame only for now), Costco mountain bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bike2math
Some kids who need some real problems.

+1
Old 06-25-08, 01:48 AM
cradduck
This town needs an enema.

Bikes: Bridgestone 400

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Unless they are watching 'Fosters Home for Imaginary Friends' then their taste in cartoons is questionable and they should have their cable taken away till they learn what real comedy is.
Old 06-25-08, 02:55 AM
scattered73
Justin

Bikes: Soma Double Cross, KHS Urban Uno

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got to have my Battlestar Galactica, Atlantis and Dr.Who, big sci-fi geek. Plus I love bad B movies which cable is full of.
Old 06-25-08, 08:06 AM
scottieie

Bikes: 95' Kona Fire Mountain

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by scattered73
I got to have my Battlestar Galactica, Atlantis and Dr.Who, big sci-fi geek. Plus I love bad B movies which cable is full of.
I get my BSG (Battlestar Galactica) at the DVD rental shop and watch on my computer. Nice not to have to be inundated with advertising, wasting my time and telling me what I need to buy. I think advertising is my biggest beef with TV really. Shows are kinda fun if you want some brainless downtime.
S
Old 06-25-08, 08:14 AM
Gustavo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JosephPaul86
I'm both and happy as can be. But I do use my computer monitor to play xbox. Yeah, I spoil myself.
Wasting your time on pointless things like playing video games (and you are probably an adult at that) is not spoiling yourself. It's just plain stupid.
Old 06-25-08, 08:22 AM
Specialized fan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gustavo
Wasting your time on pointless things like playing video games (and you are probably an adult at that) is not spoiling yourself. It's just plain stupid.
What's wrong with Video games? I am a hard core Battlefield 2142 player playing for hours on end.I absolutely love gaming!
Old 06-25-08, 08:33 AM
ericy
Señor Member

Bikes: Giant OCR2, Trek DS 8.3

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by dynodonn
Thank goodness that when I was a their age that gas was cheap and there was only 2 channels to watch using the rabbit ears, the only times I lost my television as a child was either due to one of the TV's tubes overheating and blowing out, or as punishment, then I had to go outside and play and having to use my imagination.
When I was a kid living on the farm, we had one TV station. No channel surfing for us! We could turn the thing on, and if we didn't like what we saw, we turned it off and went out to play outdoors.

And to be honest, I don't feel like I missed out on anything either. Most of the channels we get these days are total junk.
Old 06-25-08, 12:13 PM
JosephPaul86
Change=inevitable. ?=+/-

Bikes: MTB, 700c commuter, BMX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wasting your time on pointless things like playing on the internet (and you are probably an adult at that) is not spoiling yourself. It's just plain stupid.

Now we are both guilty. Back on topic.
Old 06-25-08, 12:16 PM
UmneyDurak
RacingBear

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 36 Posts
Aren't we judgmental?
Old 06-25-08, 12:46 PM
Gustavo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JosephPaul86
Wasting your time on pointless things like playing on the internet (and you are probably an adult at that) is not spoiling yourself. It's just plain stupid.

Now we are both guilty. Back on topic.
Good point.
Old 06-25-08, 01:43 PM
gascostalot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If I want to watch T.V., I'll just check out the series from the Library.
Old 06-25-08, 01:48 PM
srkredliner

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Back to the topic at hand:

I think these kids need to learn a little bit about some people in the world who have some real problems due to rising fuel prices - like people who can't grow food, or who can't refrigerate any food because there isn't any energy to do it with.

We get news coverage about these girls in Salt Lake who can't watch TV, and nobody is telling America to carpool, buy local, and buy a bicycle.
Old 06-25-08, 02:39 PM
gwd
Biker

Bikes: one Recumbent and one Utility Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by srkredliner
Back to the topic at hand:

I think these kids need to learn a little bit about some people in the world who have some real problems due to rising fuel prices - like people who can't grow food, or who can't refrigerate any food because there isn't any energy to do it with.

We get news coverage about these girls in Salt Lake who can't watch TV, and nobody is telling America to carpool, buy local, and buy a bicycle.
We adults are at fault. I see too many over privileged and under challenged American kids. My knee jerk reaction is to think badly of the kid when the adults in their lives taught them to be that way. Its like when you run across an ill behaved dog- the first thing you think of is dealing with the dog. Later you realize how it took an irresponsible owner to create such a mess.
Old 06-25-08, 02:51 PM
77midget
me ride bike good

Bikes: Trek 4300; Trek 1.5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My initial reaction was one of resignation, but then I also realized, as misplaced as the values are, at least the kids can relate an occurance in their daily life to a current event and make a decision on it.

I run into a lot of kids who are completely oblivious-If these kids are upset that fuel prices are affecting their household budget, their parent has explained the cause and effect, and they have made a decision to say something about it, I say that is better than nothing. Now, if the parent could work on the perceived value of television in the household, that would be even better.
Old 06-25-08, 02:56 PM
gwd
Biker

Bikes: one Recumbent and one Utility Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 77midget
My initial reaction was one of resignation, but then I also realized, as misplaced as the values are, at least the kids can relate an occurance in their daily life to a current event and make a decision on it.

I run into a lot of kids who are completely oblivious-If these kids are upset that fuel prices are affecting their household budget, their parent has explained the cause and effect, and they have made a decision to say something about it, I say that is better than nothing. Now, if the parent could work on the perceived value of television in the household, that would be even better.
Yes, at least the kids are aware of something in the wider world.
Old 06-25-08, 03:47 PM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
I would think a bit less television and a bit more spelling practice might be in order. I also be interested to hear what type of budgeting and planning skills their parents might posses

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 06-25-08, 09:08 PM
ATAC49er
Banned

Bikes: Pacific hardtail (frame only right now); Weyless SP (frame/fork right now); Jamis Dakar XLT 1.0 custom build-up (fully functional)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Car-free, no prob; been there for 4 years now. TV-free, well...I happen to like movies, and the hours between sundown and bedtime need to be filled with SOMEthing! It's not like I'm surfing the www for hours every night,...wait, I do that too.

Cable? Watch about 4-5 hours a week, just cuz 'rasslin' is on cable. Hundreds of channels of complete fecal discharge otherwise. Cartoons? Where's Johnny Quest (the original!) and the Road Runner? All the Pokemon/Digimon/Spongebob/Oddparents/whatever else is just PUKE!
Old 06-25-08, 09:30 PM
RubenX 
Look! My Spine!

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I rarely use the TV. I'm always arguing with my wife about how much time she spends watching TV (over 10 hours a day). I'm only keeping the cable because my son like to watch some educational programs where he actually learn stuff.
Old 06-25-08, 09:50 PM
kmcrawford111
50/50 Road/eBike Commuter

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Specialized Fatboy, Specialized Sirrus, Nashbar Campus, Taga 2.0 Trike

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Here is a prime example of the extreme cluelessness pervading America today. Here's the lowdown:

* I am entitled to drive as much as I want cheaply.
* I am entitled to hundreds of TV channels.

To think that any kind of protesting by these lasses or anyone else is going to change things is laughable. But the scary thing here is... what are these kids going to think 10 years from now, when the energy situation will probably be much worse? Are these new young adults going to riot over not being able to drive Ford Mustangs and watch Pokemon?

There is such a feeling of entitlement in the US that you'd think we were living in a Disney movie.

"All mom's monny goes to gas." And who's fault is that? Maybe mom should get a clue, along with about 99% of the rest of the country. I often wonder how much more stable our future would be if we didn't have this wish-upon-a-star, get-something-for-nothing mentality seething from every nook and cranny here?

Not even Harry Potter will save us this time!

These kids should be happy that they have food to eat and a place to live. It's too bad that children's lives revolve almost entirely around cars and TV.

What a pathetic people we've become.

Last edited by kmcrawford111; 06-25-08 at 09:57 PM.
Old 06-26-08, 02:07 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,538 Times in 1,047 Posts
Originally Posted by kmcrawford111
What a pathetic people we've become.
TV reception is terrible from a saddle on a high horse, but thank goodness Internet chatting/pontificting is perfectly compatable with riding that same high horse.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.