Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

New SRAM Torpedo fixed/free hub

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-08, 07:27 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1670 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 1,062 Posts

The site designer probably thought this PITA web page was actually cool:

https://www.fixedandfreegear.com/singlespeed_d.html

Anyway, SRAM is introducing a new fixed/free hub @ Eurobike. No flipflopping; you apparently reach through a hole in the end of the RH acorn nut and tighten down a screw to lock out the freewheel. They say 130mm OLD out of the box but it looks like there are spacers on both sides that can be removed.

No word on price or time frame. Nicht geeignet fur Tandems, but then you knew that.

tcs
Old 09-07-08, 08:46 AM
jhota
blithering idiot

Bikes: 1991 Trek 930, 2005 Bianchi Eros, 2006 Nashbar "X," IRO Rob Roy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
you're right: horrible website. but the hub looks interesting.
Old 09-07-08, 11:17 PM
serac
Wet Cyclist

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hideous website. Here is the english version: https://www.fixedandfreegear.com/singlespeed_e.html

Interesting, although I've weened myself off of coasting. I suppose 7 turns of a screwdriver is slightly easier than turning your wheel around. Hmmmm...I'm still looking for somebody to pick up the 3 speed fixed gear hub.

Edit to add: Woohoo! I just saw this thread: https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=461558

Last edited by serac; 09-07-08 at 11:40 PM.
Old 09-08-08, 12:06 AM
seaneee
señor member

Bikes: Malvern Path Racer, Schwinn LeTour, Follis, Bridgestone 400 (RIP), concord 2sp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
huh, "torpedo" was the name of a line of of two speed coaster hubs that sachs (purchased by sram) used to make in the 70's
Old 09-08-08, 07:23 AM
tcs
Palmer

Sachs (now a part of SRAM) has called various hub models "Torpedo" for over 100 years.

tcs
Old 09-08-08, 09:32 AM
mconlonx

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 7148 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 92 Posts
The novelty of it would be pretty cool--people would see you coasting by, running a cog and lockring, and think "WTF???" But having to use a tool to make the switch? Would rather it had either something that didn't require a tool to make the switch, like a lever at the hub, or even a shifter for it so you could do it on the fly.
Old 09-08-08, 11:16 AM
malpag3
takin' it to the streets

Bikes: 1999 Kona Kapu; late 70's/early 80's Araya road bike/commuter bike.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's nifty. I'd be curious.
Old 09-09-08, 11:45 AM
tcs
Palmer

Originally Posted by mconlonx
But having to use a tool to make the switch?
Maybe Shimano will make a version switched by an electric motor inside the hub.

Anybody turning their flip-flop hubs toolless?

tcs

Last edited by tcs; 10-10-08 at 07:30 AM.
Old 10-10-08, 07:29 AM
tcs
Palmer

I've seen some coments around concerning the "porky" 480gm manufacturer's provided weight for these hubs. In a quick check, I went to Harris Cyclery's web site and saw a 330gm weight for their flip-flop hub, and a 177gm weight for a White Industries' single speed freewheel - and that adds up to 507gm.

tcs
Old 10-10-08, 08:36 AM
carbonjockey

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i saw that at interbike, and had someone explain it. seems like a cool idea, and its neat to see sram crankin out such innovative road components with such a short history in the market
Old 10-10-08, 08:44 AM
LWaB

Bikes: Early Cannondale tandem, '99 S&S Frezoni Audax, '65 Moulton Stowaway, '52 Claud Butler, TSR30, Brompton

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by carbonjockey
its neat to see sram crankin out such innovative road components with such a short history in the market
SRAM bought Sachs, formerly Fichtel and Sachs who started almost the same year as Sturmey Archer.
Old 10-10-08, 10:22 AM
mconlonx

Originally Posted by tcs
Maybe Shimano will make a version switched by an electric motor inside the hub.

Anybody turning their flip-flop hubs toolless?
All I'm sayin' is that getting off the bike and using a specialty tool to make the adjustment... how much longer would it take to flip or flop a flip-flop wheel? I guess you can avoid getting your hands greasy dealing with an icky chain, and not have to worry about chain tension...

Don't get me wrong, I love the idea. Just don't see it as being a revolutionary step above a regular flip-flop setup. Any word on how much one of these will set you back?
Old 10-10-08, 10:45 AM
veganeric

Bikes: several

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love this idea! Some days you hit the wall and it would be great to be able to jump off the bike, turn a screw and coast home.
Old 10-10-08, 11:08 AM
gutbucket
Oddjob Cassanova

Bikes: 2005 Specialized Sirrus Hybrid, Unpedigreed steel frame fixie conversion (Force Disorder Pump), Pugeot UO9 fixed conversion (Red Menace). Lots of parts scattered about garage.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by veganeric
I love this idea! Some days you hit the wall and it would be great to be able to jump off the bike, turn a screw and coast home.
Amen to that. Although having the ratio on my freewheel be a wee bit gentler on the knees (maybe only 1 to 2 teeth more) than my fixed cog gives an edge to the flip-flop setup. Mind you, in practice I've never bothered to go through the flipping & flopping process even when I had the freewheel on the hub. Partly 'cuz it seemed like a hassle, and partly 'cuz if I stopped pedalling and got off the bike, I'd drop dead where I stood.

(and why 7 turns? What happens at 6.5 or at 7.5?)

Dave
Old 10-10-08, 11:09 AM
carbonjockey

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i am not positive, but i think its just a flat head screw driver. if it takes you the same amount of time to do a turn of a screw driver as it does to pop off the wheel, flip it, and retension it, then this isnt for you...
Old 10-10-08, 12:10 PM
mihlbach

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 67 Posts
Part of the appeal of fixed gear is the elegance of its simplicity. This just muddles it up with unnecessary complexity. You may be able to go from fixed to free without flipping the wheel, but unlike a flip flop hub, you are stuck in the same gear ratio for the ride. So you are getting less options with a more complex design. Flip-flopping a wheel doesn't take a lot of time, and besides, if I needed to flip my wheel so often that it was a big PITA, I'd just ride a bike with gears.
Old 10-13-08, 12:04 PM
tcs
Palmer

From the picture SRAM has circulated it looks like this hub uses standard "three speed" style cogs. If SRAM has allowed room for chainline alignment spacers then you could run two dished cogs back to back, giving two fixed and two free ratios.

tcs
Old 12-29-10, 10:10 PM
droobieinop

Bikes: jamis xenith comp '08, trek 750 hybrid (w/drops) c.1995, centurian fixie, kona cindercone mtb c.2000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know this is a two year old thread but, I just had my hands on one of these wonders for the first time today.

I can definitly agree that this does have a bit of a limited aplication. Since you can't change the ratio with the fixed/free switch it's probably best for low geared local usage. I could build a nice little neo-retro, full racked, roadster commuter around this hub. It could also work great to introduce someone (like the wife) to riding fixed.

It only takes a few seconds to turn the screwdriver that you're already carrying, and if not you should. The cog is of the coaster brake/three speed variety which may limit you small tooth count options, although I've not researched that yet. I also what to check out the spacing options. I was thinking about a dingle cog set up while I was building a new Bianchi today, now I'm thinking about 2 offsets instead. Curious about that possibility.

For those of you that are so hardcore that you won't use such a hub, which may have been around before, keep it real. For everyone else that would just like the options without the work, this is your hub. If you don't want the free or tools, you could always get the new Stermey Archer S3X with thumb or barend shifter.
Old 12-29-10, 10:33 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked 764 Times in 431 Posts
The new 2011 Bianchi Pista Dalmine uses this ss/fg hub >>> https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...ianchi+dalmine

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Old 12-30-10, 01:06 AM
Kayce

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Last years Pista Via Barrera came with it too.
Old 12-30-10, 09:10 AM
mconlonx

Originally Posted by carbonjockey
i am not positive, but i think its just a flat head screw driver. if it takes you the same amount of time to do a turn of a screw driver as it does to pop off the wheel, flip it, and retension it, then this isnt for you...
Maybe I'm just real quick with a wheel change.

Seriously, I'm all aboard with this thing. There's another one out there that has some kind of wheel you turn out back, instead of needing an extra tool--even better.

Just that... well, I'm carrying a 15mm wrench with me anyway, if I'm riding something with bolt-on wheels, like the Torpedo, so with this hub you carry an extra tool if you want to switch out the fly. No big deal. Or just decide at home that morning which way you want to run for the day, fixed or free.

Anyone actually own one of these? Do you find yourself switching from fix to free on a regular basis / irregular basis / got used to it one way and have pretty much left it there?
Old 12-30-10, 09:37 AM
tcs
Palmer

Originally Posted by mconlonx
There's another one out there that has some kind of wheel you turn out back, instead of needing an extra tool--even better.
And only three times the cost of the SRAM!
Old 12-30-10, 01:13 PM
Kayce

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had one set up on a spare bike for a while. The bike was set up to be my loan bike for friends that were bikeless for a while, or had come to visit. I set it up with a bunch of easy to adjust parts, and the Torpedo. It worked really well in that set up. It also worked well for friends to borrow when the wanted to learn how to ride fixed, so that after they were done figuring it out, or wanted a change is was quite simple.
Old 12-30-10, 09:26 PM
droobieinop

Bikes: jamis xenith comp '08, trek 750 hybrid (w/drops) c.1995, centurian fixie, kona cindercone mtb c.2000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TejanoTrackie
The new 2011 Bianchi Pista Dalmine uses this ss/fg hub
Originally Posted by Kayce
Last years Pista Via Barrera came with it too.
Thanks, it was the Bianchi Pista Via Barrera that I built that introduced me to this hub. However, I prefer not to post too much about my shop and products since I would rather share thoughts than sell product on BF.

Originally Posted by Kayce
I had one set up on a spare bike for a while. The bike was set up to be my loan bike for friends that were bikeless for a while, or had come to visit. .... It also worked well for friends to borrow when the wanted to learn how to ride fixed, so that after they were done figuring it out, or wanted a change is was quite simple.
As posted above, this is just what I'm thinking.