Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Good clipless pedals for beginner

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-10, 01:42 PM
atrain62

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi All. I just recently purchased my first road bike (Felt F95) and was planning to purchase some clipless pedals as my first upgrade. I plan on using this bike for commuting and long rides. Can anyone recommend me some good pedals? I have been doing some research and it appears that look, shimano, and speedplay are all pretty good. Looking to keep it below $100. (not including shoes)

Thanks in advance!
Old 05-13-10, 01:52 PM
joe_5700
CAT4

Bikes: 2009 Cervélo S1, 2009 Felt F75, 2010 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 5, 2011 Cannondale CAADx, 2011 Specialized Transition Elite

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I have PD-R540's as well as 105's and they work great.
Old 05-13-10, 01:52 PM
Daytrip
Medicinal Cyclist

Bikes: 2003 Klein Q Carbon Race; 2009 Giant OCR-1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've got Shimano 105 pedals and love 'em. You can pick up a pair at ProBikeKit for around $50, shipping included. The cleats are included as well.
Old 05-13-10, 01:59 PM
Honu

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
People generally prefer one type or the other, but it doesn't really matter for most people.

For the true "beginner," I have a weird pedal specially designed for uncoordinated people. It has a platform on one side and a regular pedal on the other, so I can clip in or not, depending on conditions. (Okay, it's designed for people who wear bike shoes sometimes and street shoes sometimes, but it works well for uncoordinated people too!) It's called the Campus pedal by Performance. Dorky, heavy, and perfect for me.
Old 05-13-10, 02:02 PM
roadiejorge 
stole your bike

Bikes: Orbea Orca, Ridley Compact

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
They're all good, the variable is whether you want a pedal with more than one point of contact to clip in which is typically what people mean by "easier".

1) Look Keo's are what I use and I have no complaints in the years that I've used them, and learning to clip in and clip out is pretty easy to get used to even if using them for commutes. They have one point of contact which takes getting used to when you have to clip in quickly, but it's easy to master and I commute with them regularly. The Keo's are narrower than Shimano pedals with the exception of the Keo Max 2 so you have options if you want a wider pedal platform.

2) Shimano makes a good road pedal as well it's just slightly heavier because the pedal is alloy vs the plastic low end Keo uses. The metal pedals are more durable so that might be something to consider, though Look sorted that issue with the Keo Max 2 by placing a metal plate on top of the pedal platform to minimize wear.

3) Speedplay's are a good option if you're looking for a pedal with a lot of float, and they have two points of contact which make clipping in a little easier but keep in mind that the pedal mechanism is on your cleat so you'll want to protect that if you're walking around a lot.

As for sticking to a budget I recommend shopping online since you can get some great deals that are well below what you'd pay at an LBS however if you want to have a competent shop position your cleats correctly then pay the extra if you don't want to sort it out yourself.

Some people use MTB pedals and shoes since they prefer the convenience of multiple points of contact and shoes they can walk in but if you're going to train on your bike, road shoes and pedals are best. Besides, walking on road shoes isn't a problem at all if you're going to walk a few feet to your home/office etc. Good luck!
Old 05-14-10, 11:42 AM
cricket1116
Everybody Loves a Fat Guy

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Went through this not too long ago. Went with 105's for price & large platform, weight was not a concern for me. I've been very happy with them but can't offer comparisons from personal experience as they have been my only ones.
Old 05-14-10, 11:45 AM
cod.peace

Bikes: Rans V-Rex

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For MTB style shoes, Bebop pedals are fantastic. Easy in, easy out, lightweight, and a hair under $100 for the chromoly version. You can use 'em on road style shoes if you want.
Old 05-14-10, 11:50 AM
telebianchi

Bikes: 2014/17 Trek Domane 5.2, 2003 Fuji Cross, 2019 Trek Fuel EX8 27.5 Plus, 2012 Raleigh XXIX single-speed, 2017 Access Gravel

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 12 Posts
How much do you need to walk during your commute? If you're in the city and may be on & off the bike a number of times, or need to walk the bike some distance into your workplace, then I would suggest mountain-bike type pedals/shoes. I like crank bros. Candies for this, but there are lots of other options.

If you are good with the road shoe not being comfortable for a walking much, then see all the good suggestions above.
Old 05-14-10, 11:56 AM
tardman91

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the Shimano R540s and I'm very happy with them. They're my first clipless pedals.
Old 05-14-10, 11:56 AM
ctcycler

Bikes: Scott CR1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by telebianchi
How much do you need to walk during your commute? If you're in the city and may be on & off the bike a number of times, or need to walk the bike some distance into your workplace, then I would suggest mountain-bike type pedals/shoes. I like crank bros. Candies for this, but there are lots of other options.

If you are good with the road shoe not being comfortable for a walking much, then see all the good suggestions above.
+1 if walking a lot go with the MTB shoe, much easier as the cleat is recessed and doesn't hit the pavement.
Old 05-15-10, 03:56 AM
Monkey Face

Bikes: Giant Revolt 2. Velo Orange Pass Hunter flat bar

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 16 Posts
I agree with ctcycler.

You don't say if your shoes will be road or mtb type. I use mtb shoes on a road bike because they are easier to walk in and I just found a pair that were comfortable. (My road shoes are deadly on the cobbles outside my house.)

The other advantage of mtb - relevant to your question - is that, being double-sided, the pedals (Shimano SPD or other makes) are easier to get into and maybe slightly easier to get out of too. The (single-sided) road pedals mentioned sometimes have to be flipped a little to get into, as they naturally hang vertically... not as easy for a beginner.

Get confident with mtb's first then maybe go for road pedals/shoes next year.

Last edited by Monkey Face; 05-15-10 at 04:00 AM.
Old 05-15-10, 05:36 AM
prescient

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just started cycling and have speedplays, and for whatever it's worth I really like them. I like the float and they are super easy to get into and out of.
Old 05-15-10, 12:59 PM
atrain62

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
great. thanks for all the feedback! i think i've decided on a pair of 105's. shoes are to be determined.
Old 05-15-10, 01:04 PM
SamShelton
Cereal and Milk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just bought my first bike this spring, put 105's on it, they work great and no complaints. No comparisons though, but im sure you wouldnt be disappointed.
Old 05-18-10, 05:35 PM
tangkenboo2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
lots of good info. i'm on the same page as atrain62. thanks for the info.
Old 05-18-10, 09:34 PM
russd32

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do it Do it! I don't have the ability to move my right ankle side to side (missing parts from an accident) so pedals/shoes are always a challenge. I've tried a few sets and Crank Bros are best for me. They float a lot and I can get in/out easily.
Old 05-18-10, 11:11 PM
carbonROD

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i went ahead and grabbed a set of ultegra 6700. i'm very satisfied with them but of course the choice is yours. enjoy the floor 'cause i'm sure you'll become re-acquainted with it at least once during your 'learning period'.