Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Mountain biking and eye care, a few observations...

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-10, 10:26 AM
Daspydyr 
Pedals, Paddles and Poles

Bikes: Santa Cruz Tallboy, Ridley Noah, Scott Spark 20

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 58 Posts

This is a spin off the Do you wear sunglasses thread, but with a twist.

I had a cataract removed last February and learned some things I hope you take time to read.

Cataracts, chronic dryness and Macular Degeneration have ties to exposure to bright sunlight and UV damage. So in addition to wearing sunglasses to guard against sticks, rocks and bugs,

Wear good sunglasses to reduce UV damage.

Dry eyes damage the surface of the eyes. Get a bottle of natural tears or other moisturizer. Moisturize your eyes every couple of hours on long rides. You will notice a substantial difference and wash away micro particles.

When I was young and invincible, I was outside playing and still prefer it that way at age 56. I never thought I would get cataracts at 56. They probably started forming at age 46. I just knew that I couldn't get a hit in slow pitch softball. And what is more embarrassing than striking out in slow pitch. Cataracts form slow and unnoticed, mine in the swing zone.

The worst part of the surgery is not being able to ride for a month.

Especially you 20 something riders, protect and moisturize your eyes. One day you wake up and wonder where your hair and testosterone went, not to mention your vision.

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.