Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Does road biking & mountain biking use different muscles?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-15, 08:39 PM
MathBunny

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I was wondering if the mountain bike uses your hams more than your quads. I seem to have very strong hams, and weaker quads. I realized that I do not go significantly faster on a road bike than a mountain, and I was wondering if that could be the reason.

If yes, how can I use my hams more on a road bike? Push the seat back?

THANKS!
Old 01-26-15, 09:00 PM
bt
Banned

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
a tailor made thread for stucky
Old 01-26-15, 09:01 PM
MathBunny

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bt
a tailor made thread for stucky
What does that mean? O.o
Old 01-26-15, 09:05 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
Pretty much same muscles in the legs, but a lot more upper body. Mtn biking & cyclocross are more strenuous because you don't get much coasting or flat "cruising".

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 01-26-15, 09:12 PM
spdracr39

Bikes: Lynskey Twisted Helix Di2 Ti, 1987 Orbea steel single speed/fixie, Orbea Avant M30, Trek Fuel EX9.8 29, Trek Madone 5 series, Specialized Epic Carbon Comp 29er, Trek 7.1F

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Homebrew01
Pretty much same muscles in the legs, but a lot more upper body. Mtn biking & cyclocross are more strenuous because you don't get much coasting or flat "cruising".
also your up off the seat a lot and you are constantly on and off the power climbing over a variable surface with no way to maintain a steady cadence.
Old 01-26-15, 09:19 PM
I <3 Robots

Bikes: Cervelo S2, Workswell 062, Banshee Spitfire

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I find that I'm out of the saddle a lot more on the mountain bike. Also when you crest a hill on a road bike...for the most part you can sit and coast to recover some. On a MTB...unless you're riding straight fireroad, you'll be out of the saddle on the way down. If the section is really rough (where your body can really take a beating, especially the quads and shoulders)...you won't get to sit until you hit a smooth patch. I would think that you'd use muscles that you wouldn't use too much while on a road bike, but would use on a MTB to stabilize yourself on the descending in the dirt.

Wanted to add the cadence that spdracr39 mentioned. I also find myself really spinning in a low gear to get up steep techy sections. Steep with loose dirt with rocks.

Last edited by I <3 Robots; 01-26-15 at 09:25 PM.
Old 01-26-15, 09:33 PM
Jiggle

Bikes: BH, Cervelo, Cube, Canyon

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Sure, you CAN coast on a road bike, but if you're out for a good workout, you can put down a higher, steady power on the road bike. On the mountain bike you'll be constantly forced to coast, unless you pedal while braking. Obviously this depends on the nature of the trail.
Old 01-26-15, 09:51 PM
I <3 Robots

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You can do it seated on a road bike. On dirt...you gotta stand and pedal if you're really hauling down a hill. Thats just how it is on dirt. Its much more technical than riding down a paved road. On a road bike you essentially stay seated and pedal, there will also be a point to where coasting is actually more efficient than pedaling.
Old 01-26-15, 10:18 PM
DonBjr

Bikes: 2008 Trek Fuel EX9, Emonda SL6

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MathBunny
I was wondering if the mountain bike uses your hams more than your quads. I seem to have very strong hams, and weaker quads. I realized that I do not go significantly faster on a road bike than a mountain, and I was wondering if that could be the reason.

If yes, how can I use my hams more on a road bike? Push the seat back?

THANKS!
I think it depends... I find the fit between my road bike and my full suspension mtn bike to be substantially different, so yes the muscles are used a bit differently, though for me it seems my road bike fit is more hams. Also, being relatively new to road bikes, I found I had gobs more power than on my mtn bike -probably because of the lack of suspension, clipless (use platforms on mtn bike), shoes, bike weight, riding position...

I'm not sure about significantly faster on road bike... depends on what you think of as significant. I probably average 3-4mph faster on the same paved relatively flat bike path with road bike, and I can accelerate up short steep hills on my road bike where I just decelerate with my mtn bike.
Old 01-27-15, 05:47 AM
kbarch

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I can only imagine, but wouldn't there be a bigger difference in the use of ones core and maybe upper body, due to the way one changes position more when off road - particularly when riding downhill trails? Maybe something similar to horseback riding, or riding a motorcycle on a track; compared to general-purpose road riding, you don't just sit there and pedal.
Old 01-27-15, 06:58 AM
happyscientist

Bikes: C'Dale Synapse, Surly Disc Trucker, Giant Trance, Orbea Avant

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There is definitely a different fitness between mountain and road bikes. I have a riding buddy who always drafts off me and who I have to wait for on every road ride. Then I got a mountain bike. I thought I would be able to keep up with him, and I was wrong. Even if I had his bike handling skills, he would be able to drop me without breaking a sweat.
Old 01-27-15, 06:41 PM
I <3 Robots

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DonBjr

I'm not sure about significantly faster on road bike... depends on what you think of as significant. I probably average 3-4mph faster on the same paved relatively flat bike path with road bike, and I can accelerate up short steep hills on my road bike where I just decelerate with my mtn bike.
Thats just the nature of the beast. I use 2.3in knobby tires and run ~22psi rear and 20psi front. The MTB has a ton more rolling resistance compared to my road bike that runs 23c tires and 100psi. Getting up and trying to accelerate on pavement with the MTB feels like I'm riding through mud. Every time I hop back on my road bike after a day on the MTB...I'm amazed at how much faster accelerating the road bike is.

I actually did a four mile descent with my road bike and mountain bike on different days. Straight up coasting...I did not have to touch the brakes on my MTB even for the turns...where if I did not use the brakes on my road bike...I'd fly off the road.
Old 01-27-15, 06:52 PM
coachboyd
Boyd Cycling owner

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
I use my sphincter and muscles that make my mouth say "oh sh*t!!" A lot more when I'm mountain biking.
Old 01-27-15, 07:07 PM
lsberrios1 

Bikes: '13 Spech Roubaix SL4 Expert

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mountain bikers are usually much stronger riders.
Old 01-28-15, 07:16 AM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
Except for when bikes are set up identically, you'll notice that the muscles you use are a bit different. How different is a function of how different the bikes are.
Old 01-28-15, 07:53 AM
R1lee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Upper body is definitely used more on mtb and cross. I just did a cross ride with some friends and was beat after 30min. Less so on the legs, mind you I didn't cover the same distance I normally would but it was exhausting.
Old 01-28-15, 10:00 AM
Looigi

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by coachboyd
I use my sphincter and muscles that make my mouth say "oh sh*t!!" A lot more when I'm mountain biking.
+1. Also much better upper body workout lifting mtb onto roof rack.
Old 01-28-15, 10:00 AM
Looigi

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by lsberrios1
How do you mean?
Old 01-28-15, 10:15 AM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 235 Posts
Originally Posted by coachboyd
i use my sphincter and muscles that make my mouth say "oh sh*t!!" a lot more when i'm mountain biking.
+1. Lmao
Old 01-28-15, 10:18 AM
redfooj
pluralis majestatis

Bikes: a DuhRosa

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
you would also generally sit slightly lower for body maneuvering during technical bits ... getting above the saddle; getting behind the bike; etc. that should also alter atleast slightly muscles used during pedaling
Old 01-28-15, 10:26 AM
RJM
I'm doing it wrong.

Bikes: Rivendell Appaloosa, Rivendell Frank Jones Sr., Trek Fuel EX9, Kona Jake the Snake CR, Niner Sir9

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 9742 Post(s)
Liked 2,812 Times in 1,664 Posts
Flying down a hill is quite a bit different on a mountain bike than a road bike.

Climbing is different too because your body shifts so much mountain biking just to keep traction.

I find mountain biking physically harder but it also improves road riding for me.

Originally Posted by lsberrios1
I do agree but till a point. I find that roadies can abuse themselves for longer durations than mountain bikers.
Old 01-28-15, 12:15 PM
DonBjr

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by I <3 Robots
Thats just the nature of the beast. I use 2.3in knobby tires and run ~22psi rear and 20psi front. The MTB has a ton more rolling resistance compared to my road bike that runs 23c tires and 100psi. Getting up and trying to accelerate on pavement with the MTB feels like I'm riding through mud. Every time I hop back on my road bike after a day on the MTB...I'm amazed at how much faster accelerating the road bike is.
Yeah rolling resistance is part of it. However, when using our mtn bikes on gravel dust rails to trails, or pavement, we pump the tires up to 60lbs or so. We always assumed it was the big knobby tires that were the problem with relative bike speed, but when I got my road bike, a friend put 'narrow' slicks on his hard tail mtn bike (he also uses clipped pedals and is generally stronger than me) to keep up, but it didn't do the trick by a long shot.
Old 01-28-15, 12:19 PM
DonBjr

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by banerjek
Except for when bikes are set up identically, you'll notice that the muscles you use are a bit different. How different is a function of how different the bikes are.
Yes certainly. My mtn bike for instance, is not setup in any particular way. Just sort of out of the box, with me routinely raising and lowering my seat to wherever depending on the type of riding I'm doing. That's why I get a laugh out of fit problems that are solved with 2mm adjustments on road bike. Seems crazy. heh

I've been fit for my road bike, on the other hand. It makes we wonder if I should go through the process with my mtn bike.
Old 01-28-15, 12:20 PM
lsberrios1 

Bikes: '13 Spech Roubaix SL4 Expert

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wasn't serious. Roadie legs are most likely to be stronger than mtbrs. At least in the endurance dept. mtbs may be able to sprint faster but i just cant see someone dedicating 10+ hours a week to gain aerobic capacity on a mtb.
Old 01-28-15, 02:30 PM
hairnet
Fresh Garbage

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by DonBjr
Yes certainly. My mtn bike for instance, is not setup in any particular way. Just sort of out of the box, with me routinely raising and lowering my seat to wherever depending on the type of riding I'm doing. That's why I get a laugh out of fit problems that are solved with 2mm adjustments on road bike. Seems crazy. heh

I've been fit for my road bike, on the other hand. It makes we wonder if I should go through the process with my mtn bike.
I can feel those differences on the road bike because I'm sitting and going through the same motion for hours. On the mtb my posture is always changing and rides aren't usually as long a road rides, so small fit issues aren't as noticeable.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.