Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Pacific Northwest
Reload this Page >

Road Cycling Around Corvalis Oregon

Search
Notices
Pacific Northwest Idaho | Oregon | Washington | Alaska

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-17, 04:05 PM
shona

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Does anybody know what the road cycling is like around Corvalis, Oregon? Thanks
Old 04-08-17, 04:39 PM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 640 Posts
Seemed pretty flat the one time I passed through, looked like it'd be nice riding out to the covered bridges and having a coffee in some of the little towns.
Old 04-09-17, 12:32 AM
Joeyseven

Bikes: Fairdale Goodship

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I live close by in Albany.But I would rate it very good from the times I rode around Corvallis.

Coming frome East/Albany
1-Bike path starts at Riverside Drive/34. separate from traffic.Continues to downtown Corvallis and longest part goes out towards Philomath.Most of the path is away from traffic.

2-Roads-mountains to the west-Flat to rolling hills in other directions.Besides the bike path that heads east to Albany.Heading south/east I rode on Peoria road to Tangent road.Once you get to Tangent Rd very few cars and mostly back roads.Some roads turn to gravel for a few miles that are closer to Interstate 5.

Would not recommend any of the highways.Even though I tried 20 A few times.Lots of traffic/cars going 55 +
Ridden out on HWY 20 between Corvallis and North Albany.Wide shoulder except at the bridges.But speed limit goes
from 45 to 55 mph.And traffic is getting worse.

When heading back to North Albany I use to ride on Pettibone Drive off 99w to avoid part of HWY 20.But lots more
traffic last time and not that wide.

3-5+ bike shops.Corvallis Cyclery is my favorite.Still A few I have not visited yet.

Worse drivers I found to be around downtown Lebanon area.

Close to
Willamette Valley Scenic Bikeway

Some routes
Willamette Valley Cycling and Walking

Added
Plus you got to like liquid sunshine

Last edited by Joeyseven; 04-09-17 at 12:48 AM.
Old 04-09-17, 05:34 AM
shona

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Thank you Joeyseven. Would Albany be a better place to stay? We like to ride 50-60 miles per ride. All road. Does liquid sunshine mean it rains a lot?
Old 04-09-17, 08:26 AM
Shifty
Sore saddle cyclist

Bikes: Road, touring and mountain

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Riding is great out of Corvallis, stay there!! Here is a link to the rides list from the bike club there, notice the tabs at the top to sort rides by flat to hilly. Some have maps, others just crib sheets, but with cribs and google maps you can see what the ride is like. Many low traffic paved roads, beautiful country and great town to hang out in. You'll LOVE your time in Corvallis. BTW the Mid-Valley Bicycle Club there has a good listing of event rides in the state, so check out to see what is going on during your stay. Great riding here!!!
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...ubuUo/pubhtml#

https://sites.google.com/mvbc.com/web/

Yes, liquid sunshine is rain. Mostly it rains in winter, Spring it's off and on, summers mostly dry. Don't let it stop you, it's really not that bad. (except December to March)

Last edited by Shifty; 04-09-17 at 08:30 AM.
Old 04-09-17, 09:03 AM
shona

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Thank you very much.
Old 04-09-17, 10:01 AM
Larry77

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, Focus Izalco, Focus Mares CX, BMC GF02, Giant VT3 MTB (upgraded), Felt Brougham SS

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If you are willing to drive to a start location Eugene Velo has great peeps and they have regular group rides.

Eugene Velo Cycle Club in Eugene and Springfield Oregon
Old 04-09-17, 02:32 PM
Joeyseven

Bikes: Fairdale Goodship

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Shifty
Yes, liquid sunshine is rain. Mostly it rains in winter, Spring it's off and on, summers mostly dry. Don't let it stop you, it's really not that bad. (except December to March)
Good info.This winter can not end soon enough for me.I like the rain,but the cold gets me when I'm out riding or outdoors.
Last winter was much warmer and I rode almost everywhere.
But most of the west coast has been getting lots of rain after 5 years or so of drought.
Looking forward to May/June/July/Aug.Forcast to be above temperature and normal precipitation for the PNW.

Thank you Joeyseven. Would Albany be a better place to stay? We like to ride 50-60 miles per ride. All road. Does liquid sunshine mean it rains a lot?
Corvallis is nicer place to stay and city overall for biking.And it was voted one the best cities for bicycles at one time or another.Also closer to coast.
Albany is getting nicer every year though and housing is cheaper COL. And I'm one of few roadies here.No bike club.
Yes rain and lack of sunshine.

Here is some bike events around Eugene .Really lots of bikes events around the valley starting around May.
https://www.eugenecascadescoast.org/cycling/events/

Last edited by Joeyseven; 04-09-17 at 08:47 PM.
Old 04-09-17, 03:38 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18393 Post(s)
Liked 4,520 Times in 3,359 Posts
Wet winters, dry summers (June to Sept). Rare snow and ice in the winter, rather you should be able to get out at above freezing temperatures and wet pavement most days.

The Willamette Valley scenic bikeway passes just to the east of Corvallis, and will take you from Eugene to just south of Portland, mostly flat, with a few small hills.

I think there are a few good bike paths in Corvallis, especially just on the South side of the city.

You should be able to ride to the coast, somehow, getting in a few hills or mountains. The coastal highway is popular, but busy.

The Reach the Beach ride used to go from Monroe too Lincoln City, but alas, they dropped the southern legs of the ride, and I seem to have lost the course info south of Amity. But, I do remember it went over a pretty good hill every 30 miles or so.
Old 04-09-17, 03:43 PM
shona

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I appreciate all of your help. We would be going in the summer so as to avoid the rain.
Old 04-09-17, 03:57 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18393 Post(s)
Liked 4,520 Times in 3,359 Posts
Originally Posted by shona
I appreciate all of your help. We would be going in the summer so as to avoid the rain.
It should be almost completely dry in July&August. Occasional rain in June&September. And a bit more occasional in May&October. From November too April, expect a lot more rain, but a few good days, or half days.

Most of my riding is "doorstep riding". But, there are some wonderful places to ride that will take you a couple of days away from Eugene/Corvallis/Albany. Or, you could drive to ride.

I think the McKenzie Pass opens in mid July, but one should be able to ride without cars from perhaps May to July 15. However, unless you've been over it, it is best to plan a one-way ride as winter road condition reports are sketchy.

Crater Lake has had a few car-free days in the fall. It is a long ride from Eugene, but certainly possible, even from further north.
Old 04-11-17, 09:03 AM
lazyeye

Bikes: Giant, Anyroad 2, DB Podium 1

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Corvallis has some nice cycling roads. Check out Bellfountain rd, Decker Rd, Peoria Rd, Highland Rd/Crescent Valley Rd.
Old 04-15-17, 08:16 PM
mtnbud

Bikes: 2019 Trek Stash 7, 1994 Specialized Epic 1986 Diamondback Ascent 1996 Klein Pulse Comp, 2006 Specialized Sequoia Elite

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked 523 Times in 291 Posts
+1 for Belfountain Rd. If you're up to the challenge ride Belfountain to Alpine then turn Rt to head up to Alsea Falls.

Mountain Biking in Mac Forest is nice too.
Old 04-19-17, 02:07 PM
enigmaT120

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Fargo 2, Rocky Mountain Fusion, circa '93

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Elkins Road, in between Helmic Road and Airlie Road, is one of my favorite roads both for bicycling and motorcycling. Some nice roads off of Buena Vista Road too. It's a pretty valley.