Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
Reload this Page >

Kestrel 4000 Carbon Spectra Value and Age

Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-17, 08:27 AM
hobe8000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My father was in the bicycle business most of his life. He passed about 15 years ago and I have his Kestrel. He never rode it and the sew-ups were never even glued on the rims. I was looking for some help on determining what model year it is and what it may be worth. All Campi Aero with Campi rims. Have set of Campi pedals as well toe clips. Thanks for any help you may be able to give me!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0572.jpg (97.6 KB, 74 views)
Old 07-09-17, 04:53 PM
Kevindale

Bikes: 1980 Koga-Miyata Gentsluxe-S, 1998 Eddy Merckx Corsa 01, 1983 Tommasini Racing, 2012 Gulf Western CAAD10, 1980 Univega Gran Premio

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by hobe8000
My father was in the bicycle business most of his life. He passed about 15 years ago and I have his Kestrel. He never rode it and the sew-ups were never even glued on the rims. I was looking for some help on determining what model year it is and what it may be worth. All Campi Aero with Campi rims. Have set of Campi pedals as well toe clips. Thanks for any help you may be able to give me!
I believe these were first sold in 1987 and sold through 1989, according to a previous thread here on BF. No idea about value. There's one on eBay with what seems to be a ridiculously high asking price, but I don't see any Kestrel 4000s that have sold there within the recent search window. My impression is that most people aren't looking for classic early CF bikes, but those who appreciate them do appreciate them a lot. It just seems to be a small market. Yours looks like a fantastic example, and with the story you have, and the fact that it may not have been ridden, it could get top dollar within that small market. Unfortunately, I think that top dollar will be a lot less than these bikes sold for when new.

I'm guessing you'll need to put it on eBay and clearly document the components and wheels, and their condition, to get anywhere near max value out of this as a whole bike. However, max $$ will likely come from parting it out and selling frame and fork separately.
Old 07-09-17, 05:05 PM
StarBiker

Bikes: Bianchi Grizzly, Cannondale F700,

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 123 Posts
I checked completed Ebay listings. I thought the OP did that.

This may sound like something you don't want to do but what about a young relative that might want it, or a neighbor who is an enthusiast and might give you a few bux for it?

Just a thought. Put it on a few local CL's that you would think would bring the most interest. Try $400, and start from their. It really seems like the most realistic price for it. More maybe on Ebay, do you want to break the bike down, and than go through Ebay?

The parts might be worth as much as the frame on Ebay.

Last edited by StarBiker; 07-09-17 at 05:11 PM.
Old 09-07-20, 02:50 PM
f1russgp

Bikes: Eddy Merckx 7-eleven corsa extra SLX,Kestrel 4000,1985 Schwinn prologue TT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 13 Posts