Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Stowe frames... info?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-09, 02:47 PM
skinnyland
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Stowe frames... info?

Hey, not sure if this belongs here, but here goes.

I'm looking for some info on a road frame I just picked up. It's apparently a Stowe frame. Built like a pursuit frame, it takes a 650c front wheel and a 700c rear, and has Shimano vertical dropouts. The seatstays join into one piece, like a tuning fork, before they connect to the seat tube (not sure what that design is called, but I'm sure you can picture it).

The original paint & decals are long gone, so that's of no help.

Anybody know when this might have been made, or if it's of any particular value? I already have a nice crit frame as my geared road bike, set up with a sexy Campy group, 1x9, so I'd like to find out if I can treat this one like a beater, or if I should give it some more TLC than I'd planned.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Old 07-14-09, 11:53 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1440 Post(s)
Liked 1,058 Times in 783 Posts
Originally Posted by skinnyland
The seatstays join into one piece, like a tuning fork, before they connect to the seat tube (not sure what that design is called, but I'm sure you can picture it).
"wishbone" is what it's called. I read some info on Stowes when one came up for sale in a very small size and one of my co-workers was looking...can't find that info now, but it was generally positive: they are well-made frames. I would not relegate it to "beater" status...but pics would be nice so we can really see what we're dealing with.
Old 07-15-09, 12:49 AM
knoregs

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know the builder. If you post some pics I'll let him know and he'll answer all your questions through me.

~kn
Old 07-15-09, 06:29 AM
skinnyland
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great! I'll take a couple this evening after work. Thanks guys!
Old 07-15-09, 03:32 PM
skinnyland
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here are some pics.

Any more info will be much appreciated....
Old 07-15-09, 04:03 PM
knoregs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've forwarded the images. I'll let you know if he can shed any light on it.

~kn
Old 07-15-09, 07:40 PM
knoregs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
He said could be either Tange Prestige or Columbus SL. The date can be deciphered if you can find a serial number under that paint on the bottom bracket shell. Simple... first digit will correspond to the year (ie an 8 will mean 1988), the second two digits correspond to the size (seat tube c-t-c), and the remaining digits will be your production number in that year.

As far as turning it into a beater, it doesn't look like you'd be the first for that particular bike. I myself wouldn't. In fact if I came across that bike, I would restore it and treat it better than I do my $6k carbon fiber racer. A custom hand built steel bike made here in the USA by a skilled craftsman in limited numbers deserves it.

Curious as to your history with it? Where did you find it?

~kn
Old 07-15-09, 09:45 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1440 Post(s)
Liked 1,058 Times in 783 Posts
+1, that frame deserves *good* treatment: a good paint job and maybe some replacement decals from the builder.
Old 07-15-09, 09:52 PM
skinnyland
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sweet! Thanks for that info! I don't know if I'll go as far as stripping the paint just yet, since it'll do its job of protecting the steel just fine, and I want to build it up and see how I like riding it. Once you told me about its hand-built-ness (in your prior post), I immediately dismissed any beater notions.
I picked it up on craigslist the other day for $340, and was actually looking for a pursuit track frame. The guy showed up with this, and I saw the Shimano dropouts and wishbone seatstay and thought it might be worth buying and researching. Good move, I guess.
It's got Sugino cranks on it now, and I'm not sure what bottom bracket... I'm going to have to start amassing parts for a nice drivetrain. As it stands, I'm going to build it up tomorrow with a Campy rear derailleur I already have, and a 9spd rear wheel (Mavic hub & cassette). I just got a 650c front wheel for it, another great deal, a 28h Miche Primato high flange track hub to a Campy rim, 14g straight spokes. Eventually, I guess I'll go Japanese (Shimano, maybe some older Ultegra, I dunno) with the drivetrain, since I have an Italian setup already on another bike, and since the BB will probably get along better with Japanese square taper cranks.
Don't worry, I'm not going to hack it up into a fixie monster.
It will get the love it deserves.
Please tell Robert that I'm very pleased to have a piece of his work.
Old 07-15-09, 10:14 PM
knoregs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by unworthy1
+1, that frame deserves *good* treatment: a good paint job and maybe some replacement decals from the builder.
When I talked to him he said he may have a few decal sets left but getting them from the decal company he used might be the best bet.

Originally Posted by skinnyland
Please tell Robert that I'm very pleased to have a piece of his work.
I'll let him know. If you decide to have it pro painted someday he mentioned that Viscious Cycles did some of his paint jobs. It might be worth giving 'em a call at the very least.

Keep me updated on its progress.

~kn
Old 07-16-09, 07:08 AM
skinnyland
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great, thanks! I'll keep this thread bookmarked and post progress pics as it comes. Repaint is going to be the last order of business, I think, but is certainly in the cards. I'll probably get that done locally, here in Philly, at Bilenky, when the time comes.
Old 12-02-11, 10:04 PM
gowinigo

Bikes: Stowe Phase III

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello I came across this thread tonight and thought i might give you a shout. I recently picked up my first road bike and it is a stowe phase III . I was wondering if you had any info on this bike? Most of the components have been replaced and I would love to know more about it. I would also like to know if some parts of the frame might be jeopardized. There are some cracks in the frame near the fork. Thanks for any info you might be able to shed.
-Bryan in Brooklyn
https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...II-NEED-ADVICE
Old 12-03-11, 10:05 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,995 Posts
Be nice to see a side view of this bike with wheels in it.

Certainly has appeared to have lived a hard knock life and got attacked by a heavy handed spray can.

Get it repainted. I would even do some referencing as to how these looked originally. And if the paint was sublet, who did it.
Old 04-12-17, 02:24 PM
gillman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Getting back in touch

Originally Posted by knoregs

~kn
This might be a long shot based on the date of the post but would love to get back in contact with Rob. We put in many many miles when he was in Rochester. I still have a couple of his frames and still like new. If you are in contact with him let him know that Gillman says hi.
Old 01-31-21, 09:13 PM
archi_jbg4
LookingforaStowe

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Just picked up a Stowe

Hello, I see it's been some time on this thread so I am hoping perhaps people can still help. I just picked up a Stowe bike and it's specs are great. Only downside is that the frame doesn't fit me. Ultimately I would love to swap frames and get something more my size so any help making that happen would be appreciated. Sorry for the multiple messages, trying to post so I can get cleared to add photos of this beautiful bike.
Old 01-31-21, 09:23 PM
archi_jbg4
LookingforaStowe

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Info on my Stowe

Originally Posted by knoregs

~kn
Hi, I saw you previously had contact with Bob Stowe and I was hoping you might be able to help me learn more about my new bike. It has Dura ace components, looks like the cleanest used bike I have ever seen and has a serial number 854023. I have owned a decent amount of bikes and never came across one of these so it for me excited. Based on your other posts I think it's a 54cm presumably from 1988 and it was the 023rd bike made that year. I purchased it from a guy named Tommy from Bath NY who recently passed away who had great taste in bikes as I also purchased an Ellsworth mtn bike with it. Hoping to learn more about the bike. Ultimately if anyone knows about a Stowe in the 58-62cm range I would love to swap as this frame is too small for me. Once I hit the 10 posts I will upload photos. I am new on here. Thanks
Old 02-01-21, 12:06 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2926 Post(s)
Liked 2,921 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by archi_jbg4
Hi, I saw you previously had contact with Bob Stowe and I was hoping you might be able to help me learn more about my new bike. It has Dura ace components, looks like the cleanest used bike I have ever seen and has a serial number 854023. I have owned a decent amount of bikes and never came across one of these so it for me excited. Based on your other posts I think it's a 54cm presumably from 1988 and it was the 023rd bike made that year. I purchased it from a guy named Tommy from Bath NY who recently passed away who had great taste in bikes as I also purchased an Ellsworth mtn bike with it. Hoping to learn more about the bike. Ultimately if anyone knows about a Stowe in the 58-62cm range I would love to swap as this frame is too small for me. Once I hit the 10 posts I will upload photos. I am new on here. Thanks
Good day and welcome to the forums. Knoregs hasn't posted in a number of years so it might be a bit if he replies. Do you have some good pics of your Stowe? I would start a new thread (some members don't look at Zombie threads) and tell us all you can about the bike and post some good pics of the frame details. -You might not be able to post the pics but if you upload them we can usually see them and someone will likely add them to our post for you.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Likes For Bianchigirll:
Old 02-01-21, 09:43 PM
archi_jbg4
LookingforaStowe

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
Good day and welcome to the forums. Knoregs hasn't posted in a number of years so it might be a bit if he replies. Do you have some good pics of your Stowe? I would start a new thread (some members don't look at Zombie threads) and tell us all you can about the bike and post some good pics of the frame details. -You might not be able to post the pics but if you upload them we can usually see them and someone will likely add them to our post for you.
Thanks for the tip. Now that I am past the waiting period. Photos are going up!

Last edited by archi_jbg4; 02-02-21 at 05:55 AM.
Old 05-23-22, 09:22 PM
ElGenerale

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 7 Posts
Hi. Firing this thread back up. That's a 54cm. Wondering how tall a rider you are?
Cheers.
Old 05-24-22, 04:03 AM
archi_jbg4
LookingforaStowe

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ElGenerale
Hi. Firing this thread back up. That's a 54cm. Wondering how tall a rider you are?
Cheers.
I am 6 ft 1 in so unfortunately it was no where close