Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Cannondale Police Bike

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-18, 06:06 AM
Koobers

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For $100 that’s hard to pass up. I may just go that route.

Here are some pics of that Cannondale F3

Last edited by Koobers; 05-08-18 at 07:14 AM.
Old 05-04-18, 06:35 AM
Koobers

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SkyDog75
That Trek 930 would be a nice pickup for general-purpose riding around. Decent frame made from triple-butted True Temper tubing. Bullet-proof rigid CrMo fork. It looks to be in the right size range for a 5'7" rider, but might be just a smidge on the large side. It's worth a test ride to find out.

The Cannondale on Letgo sounds like a nice bike, but I didn't see any images. Without pictures or any way to assess condition, I can't tell you whether it's worth $350. If you go to look at it, pay close attention to the fork. Fixing suspension forks can get expensive fast. And compounding the problem, F3's can be equipped with a proprietary Cannondale headshok or Lefty fork depending on the year. We also don't know what size it is from the ad, and size is absolutely critical.
Thank you for the info, I just posted pics of it on this thread, let me know what you think. I’m really considering that Trek, as long as it’s not too big.
Old 05-04-18, 07:13 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4234 Post(s)
Liked 2,949 Times in 1,808 Posts
At $100 for the trek, you can have lots of money left over to get some slicker tires if it turns out you spend most of your time on paved trails/roads.
Old 05-04-18, 07:32 AM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
I would go for the Trek. As stated above, you can get new tires, replace all of the consumables, get it greased up and still have money left as compared to either Cannondale.

I also like the stem on the Trek in that It might afford a more upright riding posture which will be more conducive to everyday riding where you want to be able to see traffic, etc.

All of the older Trek MTBs that I've owned and/or sold over the years were solid, comfortable riders with zero issues. The 930 shows it has grip shifters and they tend to be pretty easy to use and relatively cheap to replace if necessary.
Old 05-04-18, 10:50 AM
Koobers

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just messaged the guy with the Trek, hopefully it’s still available. I really appreciate all the advice, everyone’s input has been very helpful. Based on what everyone has said here, I agree that the Trek is going to be the best bike based on what I’m looking for.

The Cannondale might be a good deal if I knew if that was the kind of riding I’d be doing but I don’t. There’s no point to spend that much on a bike that might not suit me. The Trek seems like it’s going to be a blank state & I can adjust it to fit whichever riding style I enjoy. If I find that I enjoy a different riding style, I’m not going to regret buying the Trek because I won’t have a ton of money invested in it. Plus I can gift it to one of my boys or try selling it and making my money back.

I’ll let let you know how it goes.
Old 05-04-18, 12:49 PM
Oneder
Banned.

Bikes: Wahoo of Theseus, others

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 46 Posts
There's some smart guys with good eyes for bikes on this board. I was looking to spend 500-700 bucks on a new bike and none of the options seemed that great. Wound up with a wahoo mtb for 80 bucks and I love it.
Old 05-04-18, 08:27 PM
Koobers

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks again for everyone’s help. I bought the Trek, it was in great shape & the gentleman selling it was very nice and honest. He was an old hippie, bike guy & he knew what he had and what it was worth. I’d be willing to bet that Jerry gets on here and finds deals on bikes for other members just like me.

I’ll be taking it to a bike shop to get a tune up, I honestly don’t think it will need much work to be running like new. Are there any upgrades or accessories that are recommended that might be worthwhile?
Old 05-04-18, 09:12 PM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 318 Posts
Originally Posted by Koobers
Are there any upgrades or accessories that are recommended that might be worthwhile?
if riding far from home, a pump, tube and tire lever in case you get a flat on a ride. Otherwise just ride it, you'll get an idea of what accessories you want as you go.

Post some photos.
Old 05-04-18, 09:29 PM
oddjob2
Still learning

Bikes: Still a garage full

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 847 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 44 Posts
Thanks again for everyone’s help. I bought the Trek, it was in great shape & the gentleman selling it was very nice and honest. He was an old hippie, bike guy & he knew what he had and what it was worth. I’d be willing to bet that Jerry gets on here and finds deals on bikes for other members just like me.

I’ll be taking it to a bike shop to get a tune up, I honestly don’t think it will need much work to be running like new. Are there any upgrades or accessories that are recommended that might be worthwhile?
Jerry with the red F-150? I have bought a PX-10, a Jamis MTB, and a Giant MTB from him. Heck of a storyteller,
Old 05-04-18, 10:34 PM
Koobers

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by oddjob2

Jerry with the red F-150? I have bought a PX-10, a Jamis MTB, and a Giant MTB from him. Heck of a storyteller,
Yes, the very same guy! Glad to hear that other people on here had good experiences buying from him as well. I’d definitely buy from home again.
Old 05-05-18, 12:00 AM
StarBiker

Bikes: Bianchi Grizzly, Cannondale F700,

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 123 Posts
Originally Posted by Oneder
There's some smart guys with good eyes for bikes on this board. I was looking to spend 500-700 bucks on a new bike and none of the options seemed that great. Wound up with a wahoo mtb for 80 bucks and I love it.
The problem is what is the bike going to be worth down the road, and your budget.
I just pulled a 12 year old Scott out of the thrift the other day. Somebody paid around $700 for that bike new. I paid almost nothing.
Somebody will pay it, and has to, but I won't!

I am glad the OP is happy, and didn't have to shell out much.
Old 05-05-18, 02:22 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by DMC707
I wouldnt pay a premium for a crown victoria because it was a police model, --- quite the opposite. Thats the way i feel about this bike.
Good analogy. It should be a steal.
Old 05-05-18, 07:23 AM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
Another accessory you might want is a rear rack. The trek has rack mounts so you're good to go. You can do light grocery shopping or use it to pack your picnic lunch while out in the wild. You'll soon be coming up with all kinds of excuses to ride. Hopefully!

p.s. No need to rush into it, but start researching what tires you need. Should be based upon the type of roads or trails you'll use the most.

Good luck!
Old 05-05-18, 01:00 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 1,767 Times in 635 Posts
One upgrade to consider in the near future is a nice set of higher end city or touring tires. The current tires on the Trek are a bit on the big and heavy side for riding on hard surfaces and trails.
Old 05-05-18, 01:52 PM
Clang

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Liked 2,255 Times in 1,311 Posts
Thanks again for everyone’s help. I bought the Trek
Glad you ended up with the Trek. I have a 930 (circa 1992) myself.

Make sure you have a good floor pump with a pressure gauge to keep at home. Nice ones will have a head that accepts presta and schrader valves without having to use a clumsy adapter. A multi-tool with a bunch of hexes is a good buy so you can do simple stuff like raise and lower the stem. Buy a water bottle. I like having riding gloves.

Like others have said, do some riding before contracting Upgrade Fever. It looks like those Specialized tires have a center ridge, so they should roll better than the original knobbies. I wouldn't worry about switching the rubber out right away. Enjoy!
Old 05-07-18, 04:40 PM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 113 Posts
Originally Posted by DMC707
I wouldnt pay a premium for a crown victoria because it was a police model, --- quite the opposite. Thats the way i feel about this bike.
Yeah, but that Crown Vic will let you go near stealth to avoid speeding tickets, will the bike do the same? (Plus, Blues Brothers! Cop tires...)

Originally Posted by oneder
Translated: plenty of no-lifers and dudes that would much rather be scouring the internet for bikes than working (guilty as charged)
Old 05-07-18, 06:05 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
It’s ok to spend LESS than your budget! Get the Trek!
Old 05-08-18, 07:13 AM
Koobers

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks again everyone for your help & advice, I LOVE this bike! I set it up so that when I come to a stop, I’m just on my tip toes. It felt really weird at first because I’ve always ridden BMX style bikes & not having my feet flat when I stop feels odd. I’m getting used to it though & it definitely feels right when I’m riding. It feels great to have a bike that fits correctly.

I picked up a Toepeak Joe Blow floor pump with a tire gauge built in. It has a stem for both valve types. The tires that are on it say 40-80 psi, I have them at 60 psi & it feels right.

Everyday when I’m at work, I just want to be home so I can ride it. I may even try riding it to work one day, it’s about 7 Miles each way. Now I just need to find a couple of boy’s bikes for my twins so the whole family can go riding.
Old 05-08-18, 09:26 AM
leemo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
don't buy

you can do better for the price
Old 06-24-20, 06:52 PM
Koobers

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just wanted to provide a quick update on the Trek 930. I have been riding it now for 2 years & I still love this bike. I have literally done nothing to it, I've just maintained it and have ridden it. It is a very agile bike and it did not take long for me to get comfortable on it.

I now have upgrade fever and am looking at getting a modern hardtail MTB with hydraulic brakes & some front suspension. I'm thinking about making the Trek a project bike and maybe converting it to a single speed, we'll see. All I know is that I'm not getting rid of it, it's still got plenty of miles left in it & I'm gonna enjoy them.
Old 06-25-20, 07:36 AM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
I just wanted to provide a quick update on the Trek 930. I have been riding it now for 2 years & I still love this bike. I have literally done nothing to it, I've just maintained it and have ridden it. It is a very agile bike and it did not take long for me to get comfortable on it.

I now have upgrade fever and am looking at getting a modern hardtail MTB with hydraulic brakes & some front suspension. I'm thinking about making the Trek a project bike and maybe converting it to a single speed, we'll see. All I know is that I'm not getting rid of it, it's still got plenty of miles left in it & I'm gonna enjoy them.
Awesome! Glad to hear a success story !