Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

MYFirst Celeste!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

MYFirst Celeste!

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-10, 02:16 PM
funkflex
"Shake n Bake!"

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
MYFirst Celeste!

Picked up my first celeste Bianchi yesterday for about the price of a pair of Chuck Tailors! I was super pumped and couldn't believe what I had found and the price! The model is a Campione D'italia in pretty good condition. It was pretty grimy when I picked it up. I wiped it down and took a couple of quick pics. Can't wait to get this one back on the road. Serial # is 4402 on the underside of the BB. It also says 7 C across from the serial#. Anyone have any info on this bike? What is the significance of the "Campione Del Mondo" sticker?

Campione D'italia
Suntour Derailleurs- Cyclone 7000 rear, Cyclone Alpha 5000 front
Modolo levers and brakes
Ofmega headset and cranks
Bronze Araya 700c wheels
Selle Saddle

Last edited by funkflex; 07-21-10 at 07:50 PM.
Old 07-21-10, 03:08 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 3091 Post(s)
Liked 6,599 Times in 3,785 Posts
"Campione Del Mondo" translates to World Champion. The championships were held in Colorado Springs in 1986 and Mareno Argentin won it on a Bianchi.

Old 07-21-10, 03:38 PM
mazdaspeed

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
What do you want to know about it? I have one too but mine came with ofmega drailleurs and shifters (be thankful yours didn't) and different wheels. I've since upgraded mine.
Old 07-21-10, 04:24 PM
funkflex
"Shake n Bake!"

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks cb400bill!

Mazdaspeed- Mainly wanted to know what component group the bike came with originally? Where did this bike fall in the Bianchi hierarchy? Approx value? If you don't mind, could you post a pic of yours?
Thanks in advance.
Old 07-21-10, 04:30 PM
bobbycorno

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by cb400bill
"Campione Del Mondo" translates to World Champion. The championships were held in Colorado Springs in 1986 and Mareno Argentin won it on a Bianchi.
...and IIRC, it wasn't the first time a Bianchi rider won the Worlds. For some reason the name "Fausto Coppi" comes to mind.

Also, IIRC, the C d'I was toward the upper end of the Bianchi range back in the '80s: Italian made, Columbus SL, some Campy. Nice bike.

SP
Bend, OR
Old 07-21-10, 04:45 PM
Chombi

Bikes: 1986 Alan Record Carbonio, 1985 Vitus Plus Carbone 7, 1984 Peugeot PSV, 1972 Line Seeker, 1986(est.) Medici Aerodynamic (Project), 1985(est.) Peugeot PY10FC

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 27 Posts
It's so interesting how succesfull Bianchi was to pretty much able to make the "Celeste" color thier trademark identifying thing on thier bike almost more than their name. I'm not aware of any other bike manufacturer that was able to to it to this extent.....and to think that "Celeste" was most likely just a fancy name conjured up by Bianchi for the color Aqua(?)!
I thought Peugeot was trying to do similarly when they had quite a few frames in very classy looking pearl white in the early to mid 80's (Loved how it made my cheapy PH10S look so expensive when viewed from a short distance)....then they tear down my dreams of beatiful, classy looking, pearl white painted future Peugeots when they came out with the metallic black and diagonal banding paint schemes in 1984 from out of the blue!. Dang!!, it sure took me so long to even start liking the paintjob on my 84 PSV because of that!!

May you have lots of joyous miles on the great looking Celeste Bianchi!

Chombi
Old 07-21-10, 06:35 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,925 Times in 1,491 Posts
quite alot of people misinterpret that sticker to mean the bike is a Campion del Mundo '86/87 as being the model of the bike. I beleive Felice Gimondi has a rainbow jersey or two won on a Bianchi.

the OPs fabulous looking Campione de italia is a '87 model and for some reason some of these seem to have been specced with Ofmega derailleurs. I suspect the bike was planned to have the Ofmega parts but shortly after production began Bianchi switched to Suntour for the index shifting.

the Formula 2 tubes were a great frameset and was the result of more than three years working with Columbus and the begining of the "SuperSet" frame idea. unfortunatly I think for monatary reasons alot of the formula frames were dropped for CroMor in '88. I guess the public wanted real Columbus model tubing but the bikes were still built in a SuperSet style.
the CdI stayed the same just got new decals.

the Campione de Italia (CdI) seems to have changed it's name and place in the lineup during its run. in '81 it appears to have been the Campione del Mundo then from '82 to '84 its the Campione de italia and in '85 the Campione. it was very near the top in those years. in '86 it seems to absent from the lineup to return in '87 as an entry level model just above the Japanese Sport SX and below the Brava.

still a great bike and one that is likely to be a great rider and give you miles of pleasure.

OH the value would eb what you paid for it. also IMHO this bike is miles better than the '89-'90 model with the Quattro.

one more thing ditch those synthered pads. try and see if you can get the KoolStop Campi replacements in those holders.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 07-21-10, 06:37 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Originally Posted by Chombi
It's so interesting how succesfull Bianchi was to pretty much able to make the "Celeste" color thier trademark identifying thing on thier bike almost more than their name. I'm not aware of any other bike manufacturer that was able to to it to this extent.....and to think that "Celeste" was most likely just a fancy name conjured up by Bianchi for the color Aqua(?)!
I thought Peugeot was trying to do similarly when they had quite a few frames in very classy looking pearl white in the early to mid 80's (Loved how it made my cheapy PH10S look so expensive when viewed from a short distance)....then they tear down my dreams of beatiful, classy looking, pearl white painted future Peugeots when they came out with the metallic black and diagonal banding paint schemes in 1984 from out of the blue!. Dang!!, it sure took me so long to even start liking the paintjob on my 84 PSV because of that!!

May you have lots of joyous miles on the great looking Celeste Bianchi!

Chombi

OH uh whats that fancy red car???? you know they make it in the same country as those funny green bikes. LOL

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 07-21-10, 07:06 PM
mazdaspeed

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by funkflex
Thanks cb400bill!

Mazdaspeed- Mainly wanted to know what component group the bike came with originally? Where did this bike fall in the Bianchi hierarchy? Approx value? If you don't mind, could you post a pic of yours?
Thanks in advance.
Yours appears to be original. As bianchigirl said some of them had suntour and some of them had ofmega derailleur/shifters. It's basically a mid-end bike. The modolo brake set is shameful as were the ofmega master derailleurs and shifters some of them (mine) had. The frame is pretty good. Not high end but better than most stuff I've ridden. It climbs really well IMO. I think it's a very upgrade-able bike, but if I were you I'd keep everything but the brakes and just overhaul the bearings, new cables, housings, bar tape, chain, tires, etc... and it should serve you well. The wheels are different from what mine had, but they're decent wheels. If it has a suntour freewheel, I would also switch to a shimano hyperglide freewheel. Combined with a new chain it will improve shifting significantly.

Value wise, it depends what condition it's in and where you sell it. Now it looks to be in 'original' condition so I wouldn't expect to get a lot as it probably needs a FULL overhaul. If you fixed it up it might be worth $300+ to the right person. Not really enough to stress about, IMO. If it fits you, you should ride it.

That's my 2 cents...
Old 07-21-10, 07:32 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

I agree on the brakes. I am no fan of Modolo, something about that whole through bolt kind of thing. I would certainly try some new pads first but a nice pair od Sprin or Cyclone brakes would be a great addition. aside from the wheels (which are a bit nicer thane the specced Ambrosio ones) this Bianchi is very stock.

if this indexes well I would be careful about using a Shimano FW, the spacing is off a bit.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 07-21-10, 07:40 PM
mazdaspeed

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
The spacing is different? Hmm, I guess he would need shimano shifters then too. As far as new pads, I put kool stop pads on my modolo starts and they were still pretty weak IMO. However, I've since upgraded to shimano 600 tri-color calipers, levers, derailleurs, and shifters so all of my gripes are gone... lol. As for the OP's bike I would agree on getting cyclone brakes for sure. Either that or just getting dual pivots, but I digress.

The ambrosio rims are OK, but whatever hubs they came with don't impress me. Then again my other wheelsets have suntour sprint sealed bearing hubs, and mavic 550 sealed bearing hubs, so maybe I'm expecting too much.
Old 07-21-10, 07:47 PM
funkflex
"Shake n Bake!"

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all the info everyone! I'm going to clean it up and see where things go from here. I have these Campy wheels that I will probably use, less the tires. I have a Univega Gran Rally that needs the Araya wheelset. Ill probably start the tear down later tonight. Let the fun begin!
Old 07-21-10, 08:13 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

they look like nice wheels. but yes those tires have to go LOL

Mazda the Suntour freewheel was spaced just a bit narrower on some of the smaller cogs. sometimes a shimano FW works well sometimes it doesn't. if funkflex slipped an old pair of silver shimano 7spd shifters I doubt anyone would notice.

the Ambrosio rims were nice, and I have several set of tubulars but I am sure alot of you will agree for a novice or even a true C&Vr changing tires can be tough!

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 07-21-10, 08:24 PM
roccobike
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Chombi
True enough, but some manufacturers tried to mimic the Bianchi Celeste color. Schwinn made a dead ringer aqua marine color in the late 80s that looked almost identical. Centurion made a slightly darker version used on the Ironman that matches the Cinelli "Celeste" bar tape better than many Bianchis. I've got the Centurion and just missed picking up the Schwinn.

To the OP, there's nothing like your first Celeste bike. I've still got mine (even though it's way too samll). Yours is beautiful, enjoy.
Old 07-21-10, 08:26 PM
auchencrow

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by funkflex
Thanks for all the info everyone! I'm going to clean it up and see where things go from here. I have these Campy wheels that I will probably use, less the tires. I have a Univega Gran Rally that needs the Araya wheelset. Ill probably start the tear down later tonight. Let the fun begin!
Hi funkflex -
Those Arayas are probably not original to your Cd'I anyway- they were probably the "impossibly-difficult-to-mount tires-on" Ambrosio 19's. I'm sure the previous owner substituted them when he needed to change tires for the 1st time. - Your Campy's of course are a better substitution on such a nice CELESTE bike, and that Univega wants those Arayas too. Win-Win! Congratulations!
Old 07-21-10, 09:08 PM
pcfxer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Are ya' slapping some nice chrome Campagnolo on her?

I can't wait to buy my grad "present"; it WILL be Celeste and be outfit with full campy I guarantee it.
Old 07-21-10, 10:01 PM
funkflex
"Shake n Bake!"

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pcfxer
Are ya' slapping some nice chrome Campagnolo on her?

I can't wait to buy my grad "present"; it WILL be Celeste and be outfit with full campy I guarantee it.
Sometime down the line it will see some nice bits. For now, just making it road worthy.
Old 09-11-10, 01:49 PM
funkflex
"Shake n Bake!"

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here are a couple of update pics. Just picked up some Campy super record cranks and derailleurs so there will be more changes to come. Enjoy!

Old 09-12-10, 11:53 AM
hpmcardle
a bored kid

Bikes: Year unknown CCM Targa conversion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is beautiful, wow. Campy looks dazzlin' on there.
Old 09-12-10, 12:55 PM
khatfull
FBoD Member at Large

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Beautiful bike OP.

Fuji made one bike with a celeste-like color, the 1987 Tivoli (pic from CL ad):

(Yes, the frame is tweaked, was the subject of another thread...)

Note the seller put a Bianchi saddle on it.

If there was ever room in the stable and one of these came along in 58cm I'd have to think long and hard because, as most have said, celeste (aside from pretty much defining Bianchi) is simply a beautiful color.
Old 09-12-10, 12:56 PM
stien
neits

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Didn't Trek make a similar colored bike also?
Old 09-12-10, 01:33 PM
funkflex
"Shake n Bake!"

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hpmcardle
This is beautiful, wow. Campy looks dazzlin' on there.
Thanks. The Campy cranks have not been added yet. The ones pictured are the original Ofmega cranks and Suntour Cyclone derailleurs.
Old 09-12-10, 01:41 PM
funkflex
"Shake n Bake!"

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by khatfull
Beautiful bike OP.

Fuji made one bike with a celeste-like color, the 1987 Tivoli (pic from CL ad):

(Yes, the frame is tweaked, was the subject of another thread...)

Note the seller put a Bianchi saddle on it.

If there was ever room in the stable and one of these came along in 58cm I'd have to think long and hard because, as most have said, celeste (aside from pretty much defining Bianchi) is simply a beautiful color.
That's a very nice color also. The celeste color grew on me real quick. I was never a huge fan of it until I got this bike. It has quickly become one of my favorites.
Old 09-18-10, 12:08 PM
bustedbianchi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hate to bust open an old thread, but I'm dieing to know what tires Funkflex has on his bike?
Old 09-18-10, 01:00 PM
clasher

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 148 Times in 103 Posts
I'm building a similar bike myself, and I set it up as a 2x10 setup, with an ultrega cassette, a shimano 600 long cage derailleur, and 105 FD. I have dura-ace 10 speed downtube shifters too. I'm thinking tektro brakes just to complete the franken-bike trifecta. My frame isn't in as good shape as yours though. Oh yeah, the wheelset is a mavic cxp-21 wheelset (forgot what hubs) that's all black, so it's got mostly black components with a few silver ones... it's the kind of bike only a mother could love, I suppose.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.