Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

1970s Dawes Galaxy

Old 02-05-14, 01:58 AM
Jexbrah

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1970s Dawes Galaxy

I was wondering how much a bike like this should cost? Was considering buying this. I would say I live in one of the hot bike markets. Are these considered mid range or high level bikes?

btw seller has it listed for 230

Some details: 531 tubing, Brooks saddle

Last edited by Jexbrah; 02-05-14 at 02:06 AM.
Old 02-05-14, 05:25 AM
howsteepisit

Bikes: Canyon Endurace SLX 8Di2

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 14 Posts
The Galaxies I recall from the early 70's had only the 3 main tubes reynolds, low end components, and generally low quality workmanship. I'd say looking at the condition 100 is generous. Also, the value may be in the leather saddle, they came with a cheep thinnish leather, but that one may be a Brooks, its worth some if it is.

Edit I just saw it is a brooks, raise the value to 150.
Old 02-05-14, 05:52 AM
Poguemahone
Vello Kombi, baby

Bikes: 1973 Eisentraut; 1970s Richard Sachs; 1978 Alfio Bonnano; 1967 Peugeot PX10

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
I'm not real familiar with these. However, the front fork appears to be a replacement. I would check carefully around the headtube/top tube and headtube/down tube joins for signs of crash damage before making any offers. It is possible the prior owner cleaned the small amount of paint that was on these forks off.
Small size plus Brooks; no damage I think 150/200 is the range.

Waste your money! Buy my comic book!
Old 02-05-14, 10:12 AM
BruceHankins

Bikes: Shogun 400 ('83), Kuwahara Newport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1 on $150 range. The brooks adds some value as does the 531 tubing but it's a low-mid level bike with lower end components. I've seen quite a few on ebay recently for between $90-$150 (not including shipping).
Old 02-05-14, 12:32 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 1,739 Times in 630 Posts
I would say only $125. While it may actually 531 main tubes and a brooks that doesn't mean much. Fairly low end rough looking rusted compomemts looks to need a complete overhaul and most if not all the cosumables replaced and likely one or more components.
Old 02-05-14, 06:22 PM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 350 Posts
1970s Dawes Galaxy

The chrome fork is probably a replacement, unfortunate. The Dawes Galaxy was on par with the Raleigh Super Course back in the early 70's. I think $150 would be a good price.

They ride beautifully. The brown/gold combo is a little more rare than the green /gold combo. Looks to be in very nice condition. If you can get it below $200 I wouldn't hesitate.
Old 02-05-14, 10:26 PM
howsteepisit

Bikes: Canyon Endurace SLX 8Di2

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 14 Posts
The components on this bike place it closer to a Record than a Super Course. Nutted rear hub, cheap side pulls, replaced fork. Noway near 200 in my mind. Also need much maintenance as evidenced by the bent front brake and shot electrical tape on the h'bars.
Old 02-05-14, 10:48 PM
CustomSteel

Bikes: 50's-60's Ross Deluxe, 68 Schwinn, 83 Peugeot P8, 84 Jamis Durango, 85 Peugeot PH501, 86 Raleigh Grand Prix, 91 Maruishi RX-7, 92 Marin Bear Valley, 92 Trek 950

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I agree, I mean I like the bike, but I'd look it over real good and offer a lower price. It will need maintenance, so again look it over real good and see if it's just going to need a simple going through or if it will need something more. I live in a relatively hot market too, and any halfway decent bike goes for at around $120-150 at minimum, regardless of its condition. I wouldn't go near $200 for that though, even with the saddle.
Old 05-28-20, 12:54 PM
dvaid

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dawes Galaxy 1970s

I had one of these new in the 1970s as an 18th birthday present. It was very good in its time and framewise, still a good foundation for a project to rebuild or just a light refurb at low cost. Either way you'!ll get a great ride with new wheels of course and a lot of fun. The 531 Reynolds tubing shouldn't be sniffed at. It offers exceptional strength and lightness due to double butting. The steel used is Sheffield. Enough said. Steel Trek bikes from the 1990s aren't as strong and only marginally lighter. The later incarnations of the Galaxy, the "Super Galaxy" come loaded with gravity defying touring accessories but are only iconic because of the name. Best option now is to go for a slimmed down early version and keep it original or simple which is always a good idea for touring.

While developments in components and materials through the 1980s meant that Dawes as with Raleigh rather lost the battle to other brands I think that a rust free fairly presentable example would be worth a hundred pounds to any enthusiast and if it had a Brooks saddle in reasonable condition a big bonus. The sprung Brooks saddle can't be beaten for touring comfort.

As for the chrome tipped front forks and, in early models near the rear wheel forks. That's a standard finish and NOT due to "paint coming off". Ha ha!

Factor in

New wheelset

Headset bearing service

Bottom Bearing service

Brakes service

Check and replace if necessary "Suicide Brake Levers" action

Service and possible upgrade to chainset and gears

New block and chain

Restoring and project bikes is not for the faint hearted or those on a super strict budget.
Old 05-28-20, 02:53 PM
dvaid

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by big chainring
The chrome fork is probably a replacement, unfortunate. The Dawes Galaxy was on par with the Raleigh Super Course back in the early 70's. I think $150 would be a good price.

They ride beautifully. The brown/gold combo is a little more rare than the green /gold combo. Looks to be in very nice condition. If you can get it below $200 I wouldn't hesitate.
The chrome tipped forks are original as new. A nice touch is the chrome section acriss the too of the forks. I had a new one in 1972 and it was a superb bike. Earlier 70s models also had chrome tipped rear forks.
Old 05-29-20, 12:22 AM
Insidious C. 

Bikes: One of everything and three of everything French

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 462 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 211 Posts
The fork looks original to me. Galaxies may not be high end but they have a classic look, ride decently and have cool head badges.
Here is mine with some upgrades. I bought in original trim, except for a junky saddle, for $60. It had chrome steel rims on Milremo branded hubs. I would say the subject bike would be worth a look at $125 in a hot market. I'm scatching my head on the rear derailleur tho- maybe a Huret?

Last edited by Insidious C.; 05-29-20 at 02:08 AM.
Old 05-29-20, 04:04 AM
100bikes
Industry guy

Bikes: To many to name - I ride a custom built steel frame.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 48 Posts
I bought a Dawes Galaxy new in 1974 - serial number W4050

531 plain gauge main triangle. Chrome fork ends and seat and chain stays.
Stronglight cottered crank.
Simplex Prestige derailleurs and Weinman Brakes.
Normandy Hubs, QR with Weinmann 313 dimpled, 27 x 1 1/4" rims.
Stamped dropouts.
Wrights saddle.
GB engraved handlebars and GB stem.
I still own this bicycle, which I bought with paper route money..

"Galaxy" model name is on top tube, not part of a block type decal.

The 1975 model did not have chrome seat/chain stays and a different GB handlebar.

As to value, depending on condition,changes/upgrades and market conditions in your area: $150 - $200

New, mine was $160 including tax.

If only this bicycle could talk...........................

Last edited by 100bikes; 05-29-20 at 04:07 AM.
Old 05-29-20, 11:03 AM
dvaid

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Insidious C.
The fork looks original to me. Galaxies may not be high end but they have a classic look, ride decently and have cool head badges.
Here is mine with some upgrades. I bought in original trim, except for a junky saddle, for $60. It had chrome steel rims on Milremo branded hubs. I would say the subject bike would be worth a look at $125 in a hot market. I'm scatching my head on the rear derailleur tho- maybe a Huret?
Superb restoration with some subtle upgrades. With quality, the best you can afford, wheels this is a vintage model that is a dream project. I'd love to see more photos and details of your one. Fantastic!
Old 05-29-20, 11:09 AM
dvaid

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 100bikes
I bought a Dawes Galaxy new in 1974 - serial number W4050

531 plain gauge main triangle. Chrome fork ends and seat and chain stays.
Stronglight cottered crank.
Simplex Prestige derailleurs and Weinman Brakes.
Normandy Hubs, QR with Weinmann 313 dimpled, 27 x 1 1/4" rims.
Stamped dropouts.
Wrights saddle.
GB engraved handlebars and GB stem.
I still own this bicycle, which I bought with paper route money..

"Galaxy" model name is on top tube, not part of a block type decal.

The 1975 model did not have chrome seat/chain stays and a different GB handlebar.

As to value, depending on condition,changes/upgrades and market conditions in your area: $150 - $200

New, mine was $160 including tax.

If only this bicycle could talk...........................
Same here, had an 18th birthday present, went over to the north London showroom with my dad, needed a 23 or 24" frame, picked it out. Stolen twenty years later, heartbroken of course. Recently found another early 70s one on Ebay UK which is in good starting condition for restoration. I had miles of fun with the old bike through college and beyond, of course a steel frame, with as simple a build as possible is the best pssible type of touring bike.