Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Pie Ride Report

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Pie Ride Report

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-10, 04:46 PM
groth
astro

Bikes: Raleigh Sports, '72, Bianchi Volpe, '97 (no more, it died), Greenspeed GTVS6, '05, Trek 520, '13

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 25 Posts
Pie Ride!

My pie ride went from my home near Pennington, NJ to Hopewell, Rocky Hill, Kingston, Princeton, and back. Had Pie at the Main Street Eatery and Bakery in Kingston. It was a single serving crumb crust blueberry (in honor of miss kenton) pie with whipped cream and coffee. The ride was 24.7 miles and relatively flat.

Here's the route on ridewithgps.com.

- Ed
Old 09-18-10, 05:03 PM
stringbreaker
stringbreaker

Bikes: specialized crossroads hybrid 2006 Raleigh Cadent 2 1971 Schwinn Varsity, 1972 Schwinn Continental, 1977 Schwinn Volare (frame)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I failed because I had to have a bit of surgery on Thursday. Doc removed a tumor off my neck. Benign so no worry there but I'm in no shape to ride just yet. I will get this done ASAP.
Old 09-18-10, 05:04 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by AzTallRider
Were I you, I'd opt for quiche.
Shouldn't there be a warning or a disclaimer or something before posts like this in 50+? For a minute there I actually thought that you were serious. I could have popped an anyurism.
Old 09-18-10, 05:14 PM
Retro Grouch 

Retro's pie ride is going to have to wait until Sunday too. I've got a valid excuse, though, I spent 10 hours driving the sag for a local century ride.

Tomorrow is Trailnet's "Foot High Pie Ride". Actually, only the merangue topped pies are a foot high. The double crust fruit pies are only about 3 inches high.
Old 09-18-10, 05:39 PM
miss kenton

Bikes: Trek '09 1.5 wsd, Trek '13 Cocoa

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts
Warning: This Post Contains Bad Helmet Hair

I am sorry and disappointed that many of your pie rides did not work out. I had a great one!
First thing this morning, TheMister and I participated in a Riding and Safety Skills Workshop sponsored by the League of American Bicyclists for the MS City to Shore ride we will be participating in next week. TheMister mapped out a route from that location to the pie place we had chosen.
After the workshop, we biked the nine miles in sunny, humidity-free, 82 degree weather to Johnson’s Farm, a well known local farm market. We were surprised to find out that every weekend, the farm hosts what can be described as a mini county fair, replete with petting zoo, hayrides, a bluegrass band and of course, pie!
The market doesn’t sell single slices of pie, so unfortunately, we had to buy and try to eat a whole delicious blueberry pie! Tough job, but we had to give it a go!

The market was so nice, I convinced hubby to bring me back after we biked back to retrieve our car. This picture shows some Mums we bought, but not the cinnamon candle, apples, fresh apple cider, pastries and tomato & onion quiche I bought, as well.

So in summarizing my day, I improved my cycling skills, took a lovely bike ride, ate pie and got to shop-all while outdoors enjoying our fabulous September weather!
This may well have been “Miss Kenton’s Perfect Day.” I love the Pie Ride!
Old 09-18-10, 05:41 PM
miss kenton

Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by groth
My pie ride went from my home near Pennington, NJ to Hopewell, Rocky Hill, Kingston, Princeton, and back. Had Pie at the Main Street Eatery and Bakery in Kingston. It was a single serving crumb crust blueberry (in honor of miss kenton) pie with whipped cream and coffee. The ride was 24.7 miles and relatively flat.

Here's the route on ridewithgps.com.

- Ed
Why, Ed! I do appreciate that!
Old 09-18-10, 06:23 PM
miss kenton

Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts
Oh, Lenny! You have just made a great day better! Thank you for your kind words. As I ride next week, it will be your wife I will be thinking of.
Old 09-18-10, 06:26 PM
cranky old dude

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by miss kenton
Oh, Lenny! You have just made a great day better! Thank you for your kind words. As I ride next week, it will be your wife I will be thinking of.
Thank you...pm sent.
Old 09-19-10, 07:40 AM
MTG

Bikes: Schwinn Cimarron '86

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Postponed pie and ride. The spirit was willing but the flesh was weak. Stayed home with hubs as he recovered from medical procedure. We specifically inquired about riding..but doc was firm...5 days. Oh well, we will surely get a ride in soon. I will make a practice pie today with whatever fruit the market has.

Last edited by MTG; 09-22-10 at 06:18 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-19-10, 08:03 AM
Retro Grouch 

Pie Ride is cancelled.

Trailnet cancelled the "Foot High Pie Ride" due to rain and lightning storms. That decision didn't impact me and Mrs. Grouch because we had already decided not to go.
Old 09-19-10, 09:46 AM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Success, but a bit delayed. there was a ride for the masses highlighted in Eastbourne so I delayed the ride to leave home at 12. Got to my favourite cafe by 1 and had to choose the Pie. Decisions---Decisions

The one that looked more like a Pie than any other was Apple and Autumn Fruits. Could have done with a bit more Autumn in it as the Apple was a bit sweet but it was delicious

Pieride2010..jpg Pie2010..jpg

And onto the ride. More of that on another post but what a let down. I saw more riders on the MUP on the way home. But what a surprise when I got home. The wife had gone Food shopping and picked me up a Pie. Morrello cherry and discounted price as it has to be eaten today.

FuturePie2010..jpg

I suppose as it has a use by date on it of the 19th- it could last till tomorrow---But it won't. But as I did 40 miles this morning/afternoon I feel I can warrant another piece of Pie.

Spike Milligan
Old 09-19-10, 10:11 AM
BITSA
Just Ride

Bikes: Trek Domane 7 SLR // Cervelo R3T // Trek Madone 4.5 // Trek 6000D //Peugeot P6 (1986)//Motobecane Fantom Cross Team Titanium Cyclocross

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Success, just late in posting. The night before, I explained to my wife that it was 50+ pie ride day and I was planning on a long ride and had no where to stop for pie. She told me to enjoy my ride and she would take care of everything. Well, I left early in the morning (temp 54 and overcast) and 3.5 hours later arrived home to my choice of either warm Peach Pie or apple crumb. After a hot shower, I decided on having a peice of both.

Thanks to my lovely wife, the day turned out great and carried over to today's ride, which began with pie and ended with pie.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Gconnect..jpg (99.7 KB, 9 views)
P1000906r..jpg (101.4 KB, 11 views)
Old 09-19-10, 10:21 AM
Beverly
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No pie could be found along the section of the Allegheny Passage I rode but I did ride 30 miles and wore the 50+ jersey. Would a mocha frappe from McDonald's be a suitable substitute? I had one of those on the ride back to Ohio.

Day 8 - Connellsv&#.jpg

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 09-19-10, 05:24 PM
missjean

Bikes: A slate grey mountain bike & a grey road bike

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well, it wasn't Saturday, and the bakery didn't have pie, we weren't both 50+, but it was a good ride anyway. :-)

Today, Sunday, I rode over to Milford to meet my young friend Beth, who is 4 months pregnant, and did a slow & easy 15 mile loop with her. At the end of the 15 miles, we stopped at a great bakery, but they didn’t have any pie, so she had a cinnamon roll and I had an almond croissant. It was very good (and kind of pie shaped.) I rode back home from there, a total of 40 miles.
Old 09-19-10, 06:09 PM
bobthib
Legs; OK! Lungs; not!

Bikes: ''09 Motobecane Immortal Pro (Yellow), '02 Diamondback Hybrid, '09 Lamborghini Viaggio, ''11 Cervelo P2

Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
"Rules are rules" and "Rules are made to be broken"... take your pick.

If you want to subscribe to the first statement, just continue on to the next post. Maybe they followed all the rules.

If you want to subscribe to the second statement, read on.

Friday night, my bride of 36 years and I took the tandem out for a 16 mi sunset ride along A1A in Ft Lauderdale, 8 mi each way. We were unsure if we would be able to do the pie ride on Saturday, 9/18, so we figured we could perhaps get a jump, just in case....

We parked in a bank parking lot about a mile from the beach, to avoid paying the confiscatory beach side parking ($1.75 per hr, min.) The price we had to pay was the 17th st causeway, a mere pimple to most but for us Floridians the 80+ ft climb seems like Mt. Everest. Add to it the 15+mph winds in our face and the fact that I mistakenly up-shifted to the big ring instead of down shifting to the granny gear, and it FELT like Everest. Adding "insult to injury" mother nature decided to cry with laughter and her tears came down as a searing cold rain on our ascent. We rode down the other side carefully and pulled under an overhang to wait out the squall.

While there we got talking to a tourist on a motor scooter who was in town on business from Vancouver, BC, CA. After a few minutes of small talk, we were both on our way again.

Joy and I continued fighting a fierce cross wind for the next 7 mi. We stopped at the fishing pier at Commercial and spent a few romantic minutes sipping HEED and granola bars amidst the crowd of tourist and locals admiring our bike. After a suitable rest, we headed south and were happy to find the cross wind was mostly behind us. We did in 23 min the 7 miles it took us 35 min to go up, and crossing the causeway bridge was almost easy as we had mother nature, now on our side, giving us a gentle push, and we were in the granny gear this time.

We managed to crank it up to 35 on the downside until we had to turn left to our next stop; Carlos and Pepe's Mexican Restaurant. Despite my efforts to the contrary, Joy had a strong hankering for a Margarita, salsa, and chips, not coffee and pie. Sometimes you just have to go with the flow. Besides, the otherwise excellent menu did not have a pie choice. Well, not any pie we wanted.

You see, we did have pie for dessert, but unfortunately, and much to our chagrin, it was humble pie.

After running up a tab, I reach for my wallet only to find it MISSING! Joy had a few $ in her wallet, and I knew I had my check book in the van. We asked the server to summon the manager, and when he arrived we managed to get him to agree do accept a personal check.

Saturday just didn't work out for a real pie ride. Sorry, but it just didn't happen.

Sunday we had church, family breakfast, pool time with the grandson, and a bike club afternoon social to watch the Dolphin game. It was at the social the opportunity arose to complete the requirements.

Well, kinda, anyway. Here's another rule bender. The only pie available was one of my all time favorites - Boston Cream Pie. Ok, ok, so maybe it isn't really a pie. But what the hell. If you are going to break the rules, why not go all the way.

So, make up your own mind. Did we do a pie ride, or not? We don't really care. We had a great ride, refreshments, and what I consider pie - Boston Cream Pie.
Attached Images
Photo_091910_001..jpg (66.8 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by bobthib; 09-19-10 at 06:18 PM.
Old 09-19-10, 08:29 PM
vtc12ip
Harry helps.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here in south Alabama, the only bakeries are in WALLY WORLD Since I'm not much of a berry guy... Lemon. As you can see Harry is not impressed. Even though we did 25 miles.
Attached Images
IMG_4541..jpg (93.9 KB, 11 views)
Old 09-20-10, 12:16 AM
LAriverRat

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Did my pie ride today as yesterday was unable to ride as planned. Went to two places, one did not have pie, the next would not let me bring my bike in. So on the way home stopped at PieLoom and the manager let me bring in my bike. I had cherry pie. Total miles was 40.
Old 09-20-10, 12:42 AM
ro-monster

Bikes: Pacific Reach, Strida

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by BITSA
Success, just late in posting. The night before, I explained to my wife that it was 50+ pie ride day and I was planning on a long ride and had no where to stop for pie. She told me to enjoy my ride and she would take care of everything. Well, I left early in the morning (temp 54 and overcast) and 3.5 hours later arrived home to my choice of either warm Peach Pie or apple crumb. After a hot shower, I decided on having a peice of both.
What a nice wife you have!
Old 09-20-10, 01:00 AM
ro-monster

Bikes: Pacific Reach, Strida

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Belated and Short! But It Had Pie!

I too had to postpone my pie ride until late this afternoon, and it was a rather short ride due to lack of time. I had made some adjustments to my Giant, which is to be my main commuter during the upcoming rainy season, as it is the only one of my three bikes that has fenders. So I took it out for a test ride around town running various errands. Near the end of the ride I stopped at Whole Foods and bought a gluten-free, dairy-free lemon tart, then went across the parking lot for tea to go with it. My bike (the one with the yellow panniers) had lots of company in the bike racks! English breakfast and lemon tart were yummy, and I watched a nice sunset while eating.
Attached Images
p_00213..jpg (62.4 KB, 8 views)
p_00214..jpg (79.4 KB, 7 views)
Old 09-20-10, 07:37 AM
BITSA
Just Ride

Bikes: Trek Domane 7 SLR // Cervelo R3T // Trek Madone 4.5 // Trek 6000D //Peugeot P6 (1986)//Motobecane Fantom Cross Team Titanium Cyclocross

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ro-monster
What a nice wife you have!
Thank you, she is the best.
Old 09-20-10, 09:44 AM
Consularrider

Bikes: Surly Pugsley, Jamis Renegade, Kona Rove, Salsa Pistola, Raleigh M60, Raleigh Sport Touring Team USA

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OK, no photos so it didn't really happen, but...

I did get out in the morning on Saturday and ride 35 miles on the streets and hills of Arlington, VA (no trails this time). However, I did not end up stopping on the ride so when we went grocery shopping in the afternoon, I picked up a blueberry pie at Giant and had a slice after dinner. Not as good as what I'd planned on having at Moms Apple Pie in Leesburg, but since I was riding the PPTC Back Roads Century on Sunday (in BERRYville, VA!), I had lots of errands to do and couldn't double the length of the Saturday ride to get out there.
Old 09-20-10, 10:15 AM
AzTallRider
I need speed

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cervelo P2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
At least I'm not the only one that failed at the pie ride. I had it all mapped out: a 25 mile ride uphill from central Phoenix to the town of Carefree, to the Sundial Cafe, which I had read had good pie. The ride went great, but when I got there... no pie! Just some mini desert thingies that didn't sound at all appetizing. So I opted for part of a bacon and cheese omelette and OJ to get me through the ride back. Total of 50 miles, and it was the best job I've done of maintaining electrolytes, hydration and carb consumption to stay strong for the whole ride.

Still hotter than hell in Phoenix - setting records for this late in the year.
Old 09-20-10, 12:04 PM
CraigB
Starting over

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
OK, all this talk has made me reconsider my "pizza pie" ride on the 18th, especially since that was sort of accidental. Not accidentally eating pizza - that part was deliberate, as was the riding that preceded it. It's just that I completely forgot that it was International Pie Ride Day and just happened to have pizza because in the previous week's sponsored group ride we got coupons for freebies.

So, this coming Saturday I'll head out again and this time make it actual pie. I'm not promising it will be good - I may be limited to a stop at the Village Pantry a block or so before I get home, for a Hostess or some such thing. Or maybe I'll pick one up first and stash it in my jersey pocket to enjoy at the turnaround. But one way or another, pie I shall have!
Old 09-20-10, 01:41 PM
jr59

Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
I think we should have another pie ride in the near future.

For all those who missed it and for those of us who love pie!
Old 09-20-10, 05:22 PM
ncbikers

Bikes: Schwinn Suburban (35 years old, the bikes not us), 2 Trek 7000, T900 (Tandem), 2 EZ Sports

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maybe we should either change it up or broaden it some what and have a cake ride or an ice cream ride or a doughnut ride or a pastry ride or a pizza ride next. We could do a "ride of the month" and all join the Clysdale Group. Maybe a general dessert ride.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.