Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

reccomendation on a set of rollers

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-13, 10:59 AM
SammyJ 

Bikes: 2012 Caad 8 105; 1994 Trek 5500

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 18 Posts

Anyone have a set they would like to comment on?

I am grateful for the headwind that challenged me today!
I am grateful for the tailwind that helped me go fast!

Clydesdales and Athenas Strava Club
https://www.strava.com/clubs/clydesda...bikeforums-net
Old 10-21-13, 11:15 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18404 Post(s)
Liked 15,496 Times in 7,318 Posts
I had Kreitlers once. The large drum kind. Could never get used to rollers no matter how hard I tried so I sold them to a guy who bikes a lot. He could never get used to rollers no matter how hard he tried so I sold them to someone else who bikes a lot. Don't know what happened to them after that.

You might consider a trainer as well. No learning curve. Rollers had a huge learning curb for me. I even rode off into a wall a couple of times.
Old 10-21-13, 11:44 AM
volosong

Bikes: n + 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 15 Posts
+1 on the trainer

I use a CycleOps Fluid2 trainer. I do use a different wheel on the trainer because I'm not sure about how much a trainer will wear a tire. Got the rear wheel inexpensively, and since the trainer requires its own skewer, it made since to just use a different wheel. Get a couple of blocks for the front wheel too. It will simulate climbing a low-grade hill.

Old 10-21-13, 12:01 PM
2 wheeler
Ancient Clydesdale

Bikes: Specialized Allez Elite

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have a set of Kreitler rollers. I had no problems learning how to ride them, to me it seems very logical and natural. If you aren't put off by the minor challenge of learning a new skill, rollers might be a good idea for you.

Kreitler's are the "Cadillac" of static rollers. The e-motion type are much more expensive and most are well made. I modified my Kreitler rollers to the e-motion configuration and they work great.

I've ridden trainers, but IMO they induce unnatural stresses on the bicycle frame and are BORING.
Old 10-21-13, 01:26 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18404 Post(s)
Liked 15,496 Times in 7,318 Posts
Originally Posted by 2 wheeler
I had no problems learning how to ride them, to me it seems very logical and natural. If you aren't put off by the minor challenge of learning a new skill, rollers might be a good idea for you.
What was I thinking. If you had no problem then it must be the rest of us.
Old 10-21-13, 01:32 PM
mapeiboy

Bikes: Colnago EP with Campy chorus

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
What 2 wheeler tried to say is you need to concentrate while on the roller or you will fall off the bike . Is not like a trainer when you can hop on the bike and pedal mindlessly for hours .
Old 10-21-13, 01:48 PM
brianogilvie 
Commuter & cyclotourist

Bikes: Boulder All Road, Surly Long Haul Trucker, Bike Friday New World Tourist, Breezer Uptown 8, Bike Friday Express Tikit, Trek MultiTrack 730 (Problem? No, I don't have a problem)

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love my TruTrainer rollers. The drums are large, like Kreitlers, but one of them has a concentric flywheel that spins at a different rate than the shell. The result is variable resistance that increases with speed, mimicking the effects of cycling against the wind. If you get them, I recommend the flywheel quick release option, which lets you use them like classic rollers (no resistance) for work on form.

One nice thing about the TruTrainer rollers is that the flywheel keeps the rear wheel spinning when you stop pedaling; you gradually slow down, just as if you were coasting to a stop on the road. That makes it easier to learn to ride them.

I have no connection to the company other than as a satisfied customer.
Old 10-21-13, 05:05 PM
brawlo

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 57 Posts
I have the Cycleops rollers. From my research when I got those, it was metal rollers over plastic (plastic can deform, especially if left in the sun or a hot car) and the larger the roller wheels, the less resistance they offer. This is of course negated if you go for something like the TruTrainers.

My training is track orientated and so with lots of standing starts and sprinting type training, I make more use of a trainer rather than the rollers.
Old 10-21-13, 06:45 PM
c_m_shooter

Bikes: Soma Pescadero, Surly Pugsley, Salsa Fargo, Schwinn Klunker, Gravity SS 27.5, Monocog 29er

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 166 Posts
Skip the rollers and just get some wool gear.
Old 10-21-13, 06:59 PM
2 wheeler
Ancient Clydesdale

Bikes: Specialized Allez Elite

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by c_m_shooter
Skip the rollers and just get some wool gear.
Says the guy from TEXAS.

Bring your wool gear up here to the east side of the Cascade Mountains when the roads are icy and it's in the teens. Dare ya!!

(North Texas gets cold, do you really ride in the worst Paradise, TX weather????)
Old 10-21-13, 07:29 PM
JackoDandy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Says the guy from TEXAS.

Bring your wool gear up here to the east side of the Cascade Mountains when the roads are icy and it's in the teens. Dare ya!!

(North Texas gets cold, do you really ride in the worst Paradise, TX weather????)
+1 - I usually get the HTFU comments when I suggest using a trainer over the winter. Most tough-guys comment come from SoCal, NoCal or Texas.

What are the temps right now in Texas? Mid-70's? We call that high-summer in these parts.
Old 10-22-13, 06:27 PM
c_m_shooter

Bikes: Soma Pescadero, Surly Pugsley, Salsa Fargo, Schwinn Klunker, Gravity SS 27.5, Monocog 29er

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 166 Posts
Says the guy from TEXAS.

I do know cold, I grew up in northeast Ohio and lived north of Chicago for a few years. The original poster says he's from South Carolina. Shouldn't be a problem.
Old 10-24-13, 06:14 PM
Deaver
Grouch

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+100 for Rollers

I purchased mine from Performance bikes. I purchased the cheapest model they offered and have been very happy. I ride mine for anywhere for a half to two hours while watching bike videos or a movie. While there may be a learning curve, I found it not as dramatic as some might suggest. You need to look straight ahead and not down at the front wheel in the beginning. Start by riding them in a doorway or a narrow hallway so that you can catch yourself should you initially falter. Keep trying, you will get the hang of it.

I too have a fluid trainer but find it quite boring compared to my rollers. My wife prefers the trainer. On the rollers, you must ride your bike as opposed to spinning away, If you think you can balance on a bike now, wait till you come back outside after riding rollers for a winter. I can now ride ON the white line on the side of the road for a mile plus. Your balance will greatly improve.

Here is a Beginner

This chap may have been at it awhile

Old 10-24-13, 06:48 PM
Homeyba

Bikes: Colnago C-50, Calfee Dragonfly Tandem, Specialized Allez Pro, Peugeot Competition Light

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rollers are great. I'd recommend mine but I haven't seen them on the market for a while (mine look like the ones in Deavers' second video). They are large drum. I'm not sure how much difference large vs small drum makes as far as resistance goes. I think tire pressure is a far bigger factor. Lower the are pressure in your tires and it's get real hard in a hurry. There is a minor learning curve but once you get used to them they're no big deal. I can ride on them with no hands or on my aerobars with no problem now. I usually watch TV or something while riding them. They will make you a better and smoother rider! A trainer won't do that for you.
Old 10-31-13, 06:26 PM
SammyJ 

Bikes: 2012 Caad 8 105; 1994 Trek 5500

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by c_m_shooter
I do know cold, I grew up in northeast Ohio and lived north of Chicago for a few years. The original poster says he's from South Carolina. Shouldn't be a problem.
Very True.

I am grateful for the headwind that challenged me today!
I am grateful for the tailwind that helped me go fast!

Clydesdales and Athenas Strava Club
https://www.strava.com/clubs/clydesda...bikeforums-net