Notices
Southern California Southern California

Cyclist hit in Texas 7/14

Old 07-18-14, 04:27 PM
Beachgrad05
Just Keep Pedaling

Bikes: 99 Schwinn Mesa GS MTB, 15 Trek Domane 5.9 Dura-Ace, 17 Trek Emonda SL6 Pro & 18 Bianchi Vigorelli

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 34 Posts
Cyclist hit in Texas 7/14

This video is hard to watch. Note cyclist was not killed based on info under video on YouTube

I know not so cal but this video is appalling. The cyclist had both rear and front camera's recording. EDIT: The truck that hit him DID stop tho there seemed to be a bunch of vehicles who drove past w/o stopping to render aid either before a car pulled off and those people got out to help. I ride solo often and am wondering if I need to start running cameras front and back at all times...just in case.

Last edited by Beachgrad05; 07-18-14 at 06:52 PM.
Old 07-18-14, 05:06 PM
psalm
A square going nowhere

Bikes: CAAD 8 & CAAD 10

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It looks like the truck did that on purpose.
Old 07-18-14, 05:38 PM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by psalm
But the driver did stop and render aid, so I think it's more likely a case of being distracted by doing something else and momentarily swerving onto the shoulder.
Old 07-18-14, 06:00 PM
Dunbar

Bikes: Roubaix SL4 Expert , Cervelo S2

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by prathmann
But the driver did stop and render aid, so I think it's more likely a case of being distracted by doing something else and momentarily swerving onto the shoulder.
It looks like a Lincoln Town Car pulls over to render aid. The rider was hit by a white Ford pickup. It looked like the pickup drifted over the white line and clipped the rider. I would be wearing a mirror in that situation but I'm not sure it would do much good with the speed differential. Not the sort of road I'd like to spend much time riding on myself.

Edit, reading the youtube details the rider states the driver of the pickup stopped. 5 broken ribs and a collapsed lung among other injuries...and he was only struck by the mirror. Those giant "manly" F150 mirrors certainly didn't help the situation.

Last edited by Dunbar; 07-18-14 at 06:10 PM.
Old 07-18-14, 06:08 PM
longbeachgary

Bikes: Eddy Merckx San Remo 76, Eddy Merckx San Remo 76 - Black Silver and Red, Eddy Merckx Sallanches 64 (2); Eddy Merckx MXL;

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Dunbar
I would be wearing a mirror in that situation but I'm not sure it would do much good with the speed differential.
Are you joking? What situation is that that you would have a mirror? You're not sure it would have done any good? Of course it wouldn't.
Old 07-18-14, 06:16 PM
Dunbar

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by longbeachgary
Are you joking? What situation is that that you would have a mirror? You're not sure it would have done any good? Of course it wouldn't.
No, I know road cyclists like to hate on mirrors but riding on the shoulder with automotive traffic to my left I'd be wearing a mirror. Gives you a shot to bail in situation like that. No time to react with traffic driving that fast though. Hence the comment about avoiding roads like that.
Old 07-18-14, 06:40 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by psalm
Objectively we can't know the driver's mind from the video, but I can tell you that it made my blood boil watching it. It didn't look like uncontrolled drifting to me. What I saw was a series of small corrections, as if the trajectory were carefully controlled. It would be consistent with an attempt to buzz the rider, forgetting about the mirror.
Old 07-18-14, 06:42 PM
Beachgrad05
Just Keep Pedaling

Bikes: 99 Schwinn Mesa GS MTB, 15 Trek Domane 5.9 Dura-Ace, 17 Trek Emonda SL6 Pro & 18 Bianchi Vigorelli

Good to know the truck driver did stop.

Tyler Morning Telegraph - Bicyclist recovering from injuries suffered in Monday morning Bullard accident

the mobile version of YouTube did not have comments you could view on my iPad and so did not see his comment that the driver did stop. He also provided this story
Old 07-18-14, 08:03 PM
Dunbar

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by wphamilton
It would be consistent with an attempt to buzz the rider, forgetting about the mirror.
I doubt the driver would stop if it was intentional. He could always claim he didn't know he hit anything. I don't know if you've driven a full size pickup like that but they are massive. I had one as a rental for a couple days (Dodge Ram) and felt like I really had to work to keep it between the lane markers at highway speeds. The driver may have fixated on the cyclist and unintentionally starting drifted towards him.
Old 07-18-14, 08:53 PM
CbadRider

Bikes: Specialized Allez, Specialized Sirrus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Beachgrad05
Good to know the truck driver did stop.

Tyler Morning Telegraph - Bicyclist recovering from injuries suffered in Monday morning Bullard accident

the mobile version of YouTube did not have comments you could view on my iPad and so did not see his comment that the driver did stop. He also provided this story
The driver was "upset he hit a cyclist he never saw". How distracted was the driver that he didn't see the cyclist?

Forum Guidelines *click here*
Old 07-18-14, 10:22 PM
Beachgrad05
Just Keep Pedaling

Originally Posted by CbadRider
The driver was "upset he hit a cyclist he never saw". How distracted was the driver that he didn't see the cyclist?
Makes you wonder but at least he did stop...lately it seems drivers don't since there is no real penalty for leaving scene a when it comes to a cyclist getting hit.
Old 07-19-14, 09:21 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by Dunbar
I doubt the driver would stop if it was intentional. He could always claim he didn't know he hit anything. I don't know if you've driven a full size pickup like that but they are massive. I had one as a rental for a couple days (Dodge Ram) and felt like I really had to work to keep it between the lane markers at highway speeds. The driver may have fixated on the cyclist and unintentionally starting drifted towards him.
It's possible, like I said we don't know the drivers mind. But I don't agree that it is unlikely for the driver to stop if he intended to buzz him but then saw him down.

I was wondering if the driver actually rendered aid after stopping. On the video there was only a car driver, the report only said he stopped. Did he stop and sit in his pickup until the cops got there?
Old 07-19-14, 05:47 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
It looked like some sort of white vehicle stopped... I guess it was the pickup. Was it?

What the ***** (self censored) was wrong with all the drivers of the OTHER cars that just kept driving on by? hey look Marge, a bloody immobile dude on the ground - let's go to Chik Filet and talk about it.
Old 07-20-14, 09:34 AM
PeregrineA1 

Bikes: Wizard, Eisentraut, Paramount, Litton, Turner, Surley, Trek, Kona, Landshark, Hujsak, Masi, Tesch, Holland, Retrotec, Spectrum

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Let's not hate on trucks. I drive a diesel F-250 with big mirrors. I ride a bike. Both are very easy to keep in the lane if one is remotely competent and paying attention. BTW, the big mirrors are not a machismo thing, they are a necessary safety device so that one can safely tow a trailer.

Motor vehicle drivers like to say cyclists swerve and are hard to predicts-we've all seen that.

Cyclists like to say motor vehicles (buzz, roll coal, swerve-insert word of choice here). We've all seen this.

The vast majority of both types are reasonable and nothing happens. It only takes one idiot, one moment of inattention, and everyone's world is changed forever. Both sides can be guilty. Please understand I am not saying that most accidents are not preventable, they are-safety is one of the primary things I do as a part of my business and I see it every day.

End of rant.

Last edited by PeregrineA1; 07-20-14 at 09:37 AM. Reason: content
Old 07-20-14, 10:27 AM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
If the driver didn't know he hit the cyclist ------- why did he stop? Deliberate IMHO
Old 07-20-14, 05:03 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by Wanderer
If the driver didn't know he hit the cyclist ------- why did he stop? Deliberate IMHO
If it was deliberate, why would he stop? That's your classic "Oh, I didn't know I hit anything" scenario.

He was probably not paying attention, accidentally hit the cyclist and then did the right thing and stopped. I doubt it was deliberate.
Old 07-20-14, 05:11 PM
Johnny Mullet
That Huffy Guy

Bikes: Old School Huffy Bikes

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
The guy is a member and posted here.......................
https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus...ed-pickup.html