Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

2016 - Race Results

Old 05-03-16, 01:11 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2505 Post(s)
Liked 2,957 Times in 1,571 Posts
Yep, that's right GC. Thanks for the well wishes all - my bike is in worse shape than me.

Regardless, we will both be able to race on Saturday at Barrio Logan GP, my favorite race of the year! I'm gonna be racing for myself, and will have some support. The hilly, technical nature of the course and uphill sprint suite me well - I've placed 3rd and 4rth here in the past (cat 3), but never better. Maybe this time!
Old 05-03-16, 02:42 PM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by TMonk
It was a blindside sort of thing. Kind of neat, really - A bragging point for him!

Also, check out the following sweet vid of the crash. I'm rider number 892. You can see that I hit the primary perpetrator, and it seems that the rider who took the video is the one who ran me over and gave me the huge tire-shaped bruise on my back:

.be
Carnage!!

my race videos
Old 05-03-16, 04:49 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
His foot came off the pedal. Was that the cause or result?
Old 05-03-16, 05:39 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2505 Post(s)
Liked 2,957 Times in 1,571 Posts
result of the crossed wheel
Old 05-04-16, 05:30 AM
Wylde06

Bikes: Cannondale Six13

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 21 Posts
It almost looks like when he unclipped and his foot hit the ground that's what caused him to go all over the place.
Old 05-04-16, 05:59 AM
canuckbelle

Bikes: Scott Foil 10, Di2

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
After two mid-pack finishes (...because of reasons), I took 3rd in last night's Speed Week #3 : Michelin Test Track, Pro Women. ^_^ I was super boxed in during the final sprint and came from a long way back.
Old 05-06-16, 05:31 PM
tetonrider

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
kinda forgot just how windy it gets down here in new mexico.

in case one wasn't already nervous, the winds were rattling the windows all night/morning. our hosts said, "oh this is really unusual." right.... this happens every year for the TT.

this course has 50+mph descents.

i normally just say "**** it!", but i was FULLY gripped this year and had to break aero in the gusty wind.

'scuse me while i remove that tail from my legs.

Attached Images
Old 05-07-16, 03:22 PM
Blackdays
Boom.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Berkeley Hills: Ouch - that is all.
Old 05-07-16, 03:35 PM
rankin116

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Falls Lake Road Race 4/5 - Somewhere not far off the main bunch, got gapped on the last time up the hill/bump/false flat before the finish

It's a disappointing result but not effort. I realized immediately after this race that I need to learn how to RACE. Up to this point in my cycling life I've always just been fighting to hang on, so racing was never very fun. I weighed in at 173 this morning, the lightest I've been as an adult, I can't remember when I was in this weight range before. So now I have the fitness to race, and it's fun. Today I was active at the front, chasing moves, attacking a little, fighting for good position (which I had all race), but I wore myself out by the end. IF was 0.99 for the race, so clearly I wasn't taking it easy and conserving for the finish.

I've been having fun racing recently even without getting results, so now it's time to have fun trying to win.
Old 05-08-16, 12:00 AM
canuckbelle

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Speed Week:

#1 : Charlotte. PRT crit. Got stuck behind a big split, and ended up chasing in the second group on the road. We were the final ones pulled. I didn't sprint on our final lap, and rolled across for 50th (instead of, like, 35th). I felt really strong, and just didn't move up aggressively enough the first couple laps.

#2 : Belmont. ...I hate hills. I tail-gunned for a few laps, but made it just over halfway. 35th.

#3 : Michelin Test Track. Felt awesome for this one. Boxed in really bad heading into the sprint, but came from way back for 3rd. Woo, podium!!

#4 : Walterboro. Didn't know there was a 6-girl break up the road. Misread the lap sign and launched an attack a lap too early. Went from a near-guaranteed top 10 to 22nd. At least I avoided the massive crash in the last corner.

#5 : Spartanburg. This one disappointed me. Bad legs, and I had a phlegm issue the last two laps, so I was choking and coughing during the wind-up. 29th.

#6 : Athens. I figured I'd be happy if I lasted 30min, but I made it all the way! Tail-gunned the second half of the race. 28th.

23rd overall. My first races at this level, so not bad! Next year I'm looking to podium the overall. Walked off with $680 too
Old 05-08-16, 04:34 AM
ntnyln

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 153 Times in 72 Posts
Originally Posted by canuckbelle
Speed Week:

#1 : Charlotte. PRT crit. Got stuck behind a big split, and ended up chasing in the second group on the road. We were the final ones pulled. I didn't sprint on our final lap, and rolled across for 50th (instead of, like, 35th). I felt really strong, and just didn't move up aggressively enough the first couple laps.

#2 : Belmont. ...I hate hills. I tail-gunned for a few laps, but made it just over halfway. 35th.

#3 : Michelin Test Track. Felt awesome for this one. Boxed in really bad heading into the sprint, but came from way back for 3rd. Woo, podium!!

#4 : Walterboro. Didn't know there was a 6-girl break up the road. Misread the lap sign and launched an attack a lap too early. Went from a near-guaranteed top 10 to 22nd. At least I avoided the massive crash in the last corner.

#5 : Spartanburg. This one disappointed me. Bad legs, and I had a phlegm issue the last two laps, so I was choking and coughing during the wind-up. 29th.

#6 : Athens. I figured I'd be happy if I lasted 30min, but I made it all the way! Tail-gunned the second half of the race. 28th.

23rd overall. My first races at this level, so not bad! Next year I'm looking to podium the overall. Walked off with $680 too
Nicely Done! I watched the stream of some of those races and they weren't easy.
Old 05-08-16, 04:51 AM
burger0014

Bikes: Tarmac SL4

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Turkey Hill Country Classic Cat 4 - 4th / 62. There was a another really bad crash which my teammate got on video. Pretty sure I have enough points to upgrade now but need to do the math.

Crash video
Old 05-08-16, 05:26 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
Good golly, I did Bear Mtn Cat 2 and felt fuggin awesome until I did not. I cramped like mad at mile 75 of 84 and that was all she wrote, rolled in like 1-2 minutes after what was left of the pack, which I think had been whittled down to something like 15-20ish riders including whoever was able to get OTF. Getting dropped sucks, but getting dropped because of cramps as opposed to not having enough watts is something I can figure out and deal with in short order.
Old 05-08-16, 06:12 PM
Wylde06

Ann Arbor Velo Club Spring Training Series, C race cat 4/5

Same course as last week. Going into this race this past week I havent ridden as much as I would have liked, been very busy at work..but on the plus side I was nice and rested for it.

They blew the whistle and this time I made sure to not drift to the back like I did last week. Stayed in front 1/3rd just trying to keep an eye on things. One of my teammates (who doesnt have a kit yet) took off on the 2nd or 3rd lap and another team mate started to chase him down..not knowing he was with us. After towing the field up everything was together again and I was still sitting right where I wanted. At one point, I found myself at the front again and was rotating with 2 or 3 other guys. A lap or 2 after, on the back stretch everyone basically sat up..so I got on the front and then pretty much soft pedaled on the front for most of a lap. Not sure what was going on, but apparently 20 or so minutes into the race everyone needed to rest. Coming in to the last couple laps things started to pick and I found myself in a not great position. Last lap I tried getting back towards the front but the wind had picked up making it hard to move up on the downhill with everyone hauling..passed a few guys in the sprint and thought I came in around 10th or 11th.

Apparently there were guys we were lapping right as we finished because I ended up coming in 7th.

Todays race felt a lot harder than last weeks..and looking at the numbers they agree. 240ap/272np vs 230/260 last week.

https://www.strava.com/activities/569916401/overview

Then for laughs I sat in the back of the B race and promptly died.

https://www.strava.com/activities/569916416

Im feeling pretty good with how im racing right now after these last 2 weeks, especially considering ive never done well on this course. Makes me feel much better about the omnium weekend im doing in 2 weeks. That weekend will be a 3 mile merckx TT friday night, circuit race saturday, and a crit sunday.

Not counting club races, this is the first time in the 5 years ive been racing (this is the start of year 5) ive been active in a race..and its pretty awesome. Need to keep this momentum going and stick to my workouts and not fall in the trap of just riding to ride (like Ive done most years..) I told myself at the end of last season that I need to go into this season the same way I ended last season and really work on upgrading by the end of the year.

Last edited by Wylde06; 05-08-16 at 06:16 PM.
Old 05-08-16, 06:31 PM
Harlan
Tyrannosaurus Rexitis

Bikes: Scott Addict 6870

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh man, Myles Standish. End of rest week so I had a no chain day. Legs never failed me once.

First race of the day so it was still misting and the roads were soaked, water coming off the tires made it basically raining so it was nervous out. Long downhill left hander near the finishing chute was a real source of lost spots for me because of the wet roads. MRC had a dozen dudes but didn't seem to use that to their advantage. Sitting in until last lap I was third wheel on the back stretch and some dude from boloco comes right to left with a big elbow to another dude making them swerve left off course (turn off) I had no choice but to follow or get swept over. Luckily it was a triangle type turn in so I could get back in the field. A MRC dude I know then took a flyer and I followed shortly thereafter, right before the big bad left I was afraid of. Oxygen transport system gave out - could not breathe at all going down to the finish and took seventh. Big pileup right next to me after the line, ambulances and everything. It was a super dicey race, I saw lots of close calls. Asthma sucks.

Second race was dry thankfully and was a bit more cat and mouse with some almost breaks, I bridged to the only one I missed that looked promising but it came down to a field sprint. Some poor positioning and swerving from other guys boxed me in for 12th.

The Mrs made a 6 person break and ended up with second place (out of 30) Super proud.

Last edited by Harlan; 05-08-16 at 07:22 PM.
Old 05-09-16, 07:32 AM
rideaz

Bikes: Giant TCR, Giant Anthem, Felt CX

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not a road race or crit but I'm gong to do a race report anyways: Chino Grinder (Gravel Race) first place female!
This was my first gravel race, 106 miles around 9k of climbing and about 60% on dirt. I put in a few rides on our new cross bike but mostly just on canals. I went to the race with the intention of just having fun. The weather forecast was not good. We started out on a 30 mile dirt section of rollers in 50 degree sunny weather, the scenery was amazing as we rode north through red rocks and river beds. That did not last long. With about 5 miles to go on the dirt, it started to rain. My goal was to get out of the dirt before the rain got heavy, I managed that and was on the 20 mile mostly paved climb when it changed from rain to hail to snow. I kept passing people who had been faster on the dirt, and halfway up the climb I was all alone riding in the snow which was now laying on the ground. I was also freezing. Riders were pulling over and stopping at aid stations to get coffee or call it a day. I just wanted to get to the lodge at the halfway point to get my dry clothing. The last few miles to the turn around were on dirt and I saw 4 guys who were the race leaders come the other way, then nobody. When I got to the turn around, they said I was first place female and in top ten overall. I was surprised! I went into the lodge where a few friends were huddled by the fire. I had a long break of 20 minutes to get warm and change clothes. Then we decided to go on. We rode the long descent and some rollers back to the dirt. I was thankful to have a couple of friends to ride with. In the mean time most people had abandoned at the halfway mark and the few riders who had attempted to go back through the dirt, had got stuck in the deep red mud, the race was cancelled. A moto caught us and stopped us at 77 miles. We waited for a ride back to the start which took a very long time but everyone was so nice and helpful, we were still in good spirits and it was nice to be warm. I'm disappointed that I didn't get to finish but the roads were impassable. I'm looking forward to more events like this. I met some really nice people and already have invites for some "epic rides". I'm also glad that i got the opportunity to tough it out in those conditions, I needed to remind myself that I can be tough
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
chino1.jpg (99.9 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg
chino2.jpg (100.0 KB, 18 views)
Old 05-09-16, 07:41 AM
mike868y

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
myles standish cat 3 - 11th
5 laps of a mostly flat 5 mile circuit. one team showed up with 10 guys. i spent the first 3.5 laps covering as much as i could of their moves. a move goes and i can't cover it. a bridge goes, i try to jump on that wheel, don't make it. thankfully my teammate made it across to make it a break a 4 with most the larger teams in it. they stayed away, teammate got 3rd. i managed to maintain perfect positioning leading into the field sprint, but the sprint was messy and awkward and i chose the wrong wheel and never really got a chance to open it up. still, it seems improving my 3-5' power has made a massive difference in allowing me to stay up front at the end of races. now i just need to figure out the tactics.

bear mtn - pack finish
raced this conservatively as i figured it would be a race of attrition. strong break goes up the climb on lap 1. i let it roll, figuring there are almost 90 guys in the field, so plenty of horsepower to bring it back. it comes back on lap 2 up the climb. i felt awful on lap 2 going up, thought i was headed off the back. lap 3 felt better. i figured lap 4 would be brutally hard and shred the field but it just...wasn't. we hit the kom with probably 40 guys. i tried to put in a few digs on one of the rollers at like 7km from the finish but no one was letting anything get away. got swarmed in the final few k and honestly big, fast field sprints are really not my thing. i get scared way too easily. really weird to finish a race like this not feeling totally destroyed. i should have raced with more guts.
Old 05-09-16, 07:45 AM
SprinterSmak

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Harlan

Second race was dry thankfully and was a bit more cat and mouse with some almost breaks, I bridged to the only one I missed that looked promising but it came down to a field sprint. Some poor positioning and swerving from other guys boxed me in for 12th.

The Mrs made a 6 person break and ended up with second place (out of 30) Super proud.
She will upgrade quick. She needs to not look so surprised when she crossed the line in front of the field, though! As soon as I saw her in the break I knew she would be on the podium. Congrats again.

You looked good during the second race, too. Stayed near the front, followed moves, never looked like you were in any trouble. I sat in the back and just cruised with you guys. It was nice to race with men. Not that I'm happy about them cancelling the women's race.... I would have liked to have raced twice!
Old 05-09-16, 08:30 AM
jacksonhandy

Bikes: N+1

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by canuckbelle
Speed Week:

Pretty awesome job there. I did the Mens Cat 5. It seemed to be in pieces the entire time, spent the majority of the race with some other guys like it was a fast group ride. The hill to the line sucked. Also, I sucked. 20th.
Old 05-09-16, 12:25 PM
dz_nuzz
Rides too much bike

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bear Mountain P12

Dissapointed in myself. Did fine, up until two guys got up the road and I tried to unsuccessfully bridge. Got to the point where I had a over a minute gap on the field and was within a minute of them. But I couldn't keep myself going at the pace. Got caught by the field and shot out the back when we hit the hill the next time. The real killer part was that I put in a decent chase, and almost made it back to the pack but they accelerated again when I had them in sight and it was over.

Really should have played it more conservatively. But that just isn't what I do, my approach is to gamble big in the races. But sometimes it really sucks when you lose your hand.
Old 05-09-16, 12:34 PM
canuckbelle

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jacksonhandy
Pretty awesome job there. I did the Mens Cat 5. It seemed to be in pieces the entire time, spent the majority of the race with some other guys like it was a fast group ride. The hill to the line sucked. Also, I sucked. 20th.
Thanks ^_^ Looks like half the field or so was done by the 9th lap (of 40). Wow. 30 of 66 finished.
Old 05-09-16, 08:42 PM
aaronmcd

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Marin Gestalt X11

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 45 Posts
Went to Berkeley Hills road race on Saturday feeling good, rested, thought I was finally ready for a climbing race. But my derailleur must have been slightly bent from the crash several weeks ago, and 1 mile in I shifted to the 28, tore off a derailleur and a few spokes and jammed the derailleur into the seat stay. Don't think I'll be able to get everything repaired by the weekend.
Old 05-10-16, 05:30 AM
Wylde06

7th turned into 11th apparently.
Old 05-10-16, 05:41 AM
ntnyln

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 153 Times in 72 Posts
Originally Posted by dz_nuzz
Bear Mountain P12

Dissapointed in myself. Did fine, up until two guys got up the road and I tried to unsuccessfully bridge. Got to the point where I had a over a minute gap on the field and was within a minute of them. But I couldn't keep myself going at the pace. Got caught by the field and shot out the back when we hit the hill the next time. The real killer part was that I put in a decent chase, and almost made it back to the pack but they accelerated again when I had them in sight and it was over.

Really should have played it more conservatively. But that just isn't what I do, my approach is to gamble big in the races. But sometimes it really sucks when you lose your hand.
Great work on riding your race. It's tough when it doesn't work, but when it does it's that much better.
Old 05-10-16, 05:19 PM
crazyarm07

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rankin116
Falls Lake Road Race 4/5 - Somewhere not far off the main bunch, got gapped on the last time up the hill/bump/false flat before the finish
That's a pretty accurate description of my race too. Did better than I have been, but I'll probably revert to my previous suckage this weekend at the BHB crits......due mostly to the fact that I'm posting from Cancun with my 5th (or 6th? or 7th?) mojito of the day in hand. It. Is. Awesome.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.