Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Going from a Soma Double Cross DC to a Mercier Nano

Search
Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Going from a Soma Double Cross DC to a Mercier Nano

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-17, 04:06 PM
Cowick22

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Handlebar width, when going from 1 bike with effective TT of 56 to effective TT of 52

I have a question about fitting.
About me: 5'10", 250lbs, 30 inch inseam (32 crotch to floor).
I currently ride a 54cm Soma Double Cross DC with an effective TT of 56cm and stand over of 31inches. I have had to shorten the stem to a 60mm stem and I put 40cm Salsa Cowbell 2 handlebars on it (purchased the bike with 42cm Easton ea30 ergo bars on it) and am very comfortable riding this bike and even enjoy being in the drops (which I have never enjoyed before)

I purchased a Mercier Nano and am immediately going to overhaul the whole bike pretty much. (I had most everything needed to do so in my parts bin.)
The Nano is a 53cm bike with an effective TT of 52.5 and a Stand over hieght of 29.5. I am fitting it with a thread less adapter and have a 80mm threadless stem I am planning to use and perhaps the Easton ea30 bars mentioned earlier or flipping them on eBay to get a more compact bend handlebar...

As I wait for deliver of the bike one of the thing I am going to change out is the handlebars from a traditional bend bar to a short and shallow compact bar. Should I get a bar that is wider than my current 40cm bar because of the short effective TT? Or stay with the same width that I currently am using? I am leaning towards a wider bar since the bar will be closer to my body and I will want my arms in a comfortable position....What do you think?

Sorry for the long post, just wanted to give as much info up front as I could think might be necessary.

Last edited by Cowick22; 03-21-17 at 01:32 PM. Reason: Title is confusing
Old 03-20-17, 04:19 PM
Cowick22

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Just wanted to add...

On my Soma when I had the Easton ea30 ergo 42cm bars and the 80cm stem on it I noticed that over a couple of months that my brake levers/hoods had moved inwards angling themselves in towards each other making me think that in fact I had been too stretched out for that wide of a bar...Like I mentioned in the previous post I am much more comfortable on the bike now that I have shortened the stem and bars.