Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

2017! The how was your commute thread!

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

2017! The how was your commute thread!

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-17, 10:13 AM
joeyduck

Bikes: 1997 Kona Hahana Race Light, 2010 Surly LHT(deceased), 1999 Rocky Mountain Turbo

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by arsprod
Degrees? Fahrenheit? Cool and foggy this morning
None of those are fun units for that measurement. I am also assuming it is not Kelvin.
Old 08-30-17, 10:14 AM
arsprod 

Bikes: Fairdale Weekender Drop, Motobecane 29LTD, Cannondale H400, Basso Coral

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by joeyduck
None of those are fun units for that measurement. I am also assuming it is not Kelvin.
super eclipse!?
Old 08-30-17, 11:43 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
Originally Posted by arsprod
Degrees? Fahrenheit? Cool and foggy this morning
yes, those.

Today I took the MTB but didn't do anything extravagant. My budget tubeless setup had lost nearly all its air over 2 weeks since I set it up. Gradually... a couple days ago it felt about like a volleyball, today it was a playground ball. But it stayed seated. I don't know if that will keep happening but I pumped it up and it was fine for the ride. I found a Cycle Ops water bottle and also picked up two littered Rockstar cans on the way.

I came really close to buying a new MTB last night but am holding off. Our nanny and career problems are leveling out but are not yet wholly secure.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 08-30-17, 10:46 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
I had a really nice MTB home. Didn't do any jumps or stunts - well maybe a couple. No complaints from my bum ticker, for once, and got home to relieve the new nanny right on time.

The budget tubeless had lost a lot of pressure while sitting at work. Definitely it happened at work, when I arrived it was still about the same as when I pumped it up. Can't explain it when it took a week to lose it before. Maybe riding flexed open a leak path that had been sealed. Good thing I keep a pump at work, even though it's a dreadful cheapie with a gauge that shows nothing useful. No signs of sealant leaking out. I think it might still be leaking out by the rim joint.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 08-31-17, 05:00 AM
essiemyra

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 88 Posts
A very nice uneventful commute this morning. The temp was 50f degrees when I left the house. I decided to start using my base gloves and a headband on mornings like this. There is no reason to be cold when riding. When I leave work today it will be close to 80f degrees, I think that is where the disconnect in me comes into play. I do not want extra stuff to carry home but cold in the mornings is not pleasant.
Old 08-31-17, 06:33 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
A big deer, a buck with several points on his antlers, stepped out into the street just as I was pulling out of my driveway and getting up to speed. There was clatter of hooves and he was gone, but then I heard another deer following him. Not my problem; I was already past. But then I heard a car slamming on his brakes and honking somewhere behind me. I did not hear a thud. Then the car passed me. I guess he didn't hit the doe... but I didn't go back to check.
Old 08-31-17, 06:41 AM
mgw4jc

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, Trek 5000 TCT, Giant OCR

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by groovestew
Chilly, in a way that didn't jibe with what the thermometer was telling me, hazy - the sun is very orange this morning, and breezy.
Not sure I've seen a breezy sun before.

Back to higher, but still better than normal, humidity. Forecast is for rain today and tomorrow - Harvey remnants.

End of August. Assuming I ride home today, I'll just break 500 miles for the month. And I even had a week off, so not bad.
Old 08-31-17, 07:32 AM
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back

Bikes: '81 Panasonic Sport, '02 Giant Boulder SE, '08 Felt S32, '10 Diamondback Insight RS, '10 Windsor Clockwork, '15 Kestrel Evoke 3.0, '19 Salsa Mukluk

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 115 Posts
Today is consecutive work commute number 365. Approaching the 19 month mark since the last time I drove to work.

In order to pull off a streak like this sometimes I have to make somewhat interesting concessions. For example, my son's high school golf team has an out-of-town tournament today. The bus was leaving from a park at 6:30 AM. Coincidentally, that park is about half way to my company's office and I ride through it on my usual commute.

So this morning my son and I loaded up his gear in the car, and I drove him over to the park and got him on the bus. Then I drove back home, and hopped on the bike and rode to work, right through that same park not 100 yards from where the bus was sitting.

Being that I had to drive to the park and then back home, and the park is halfway to work, my net car mileage savings for the morning was zero. However, at noon I'll ride across the city to a client location, then at the end of the day I'll ride home so in the end I'll still be driving less than I would have had I just taken the easy route and drove the car all day.
Old 08-31-17, 08:28 AM
arsprod 

Bikes: Fairdale Weekender Drop, Motobecane 29LTD, Cannondale H400, Basso Coral

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Cool and cloudy again, 63F. I notice I'm riding in touring mode (i.e. slow and steady), subconsciously preparing for October trip across Ohio... or just tired
Old 08-31-17, 08:46 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by Tundra_Man
Today is consecutive work commute number 365. Approaching the 19 month mark since the last time I drove to work...
390 for me. I skipped my yearly 12/31 drive last year just to keep ahead of you
Old 08-31-17, 09:02 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,470 Times in 1,435 Posts
I took it easy on the way into work this morning, though my time doesn't show it. That's because I had an unusual tail wind. The weather is super nice these past few days, sunny and clear, neither hot nor cold.

A rat crossed the street in front of me in the Bronx. Man, I hate rats.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 08-31-17, 09:07 AM
groovestew

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by mgw4jc
Not sure I've seen a breezy sun before.

(You've never heard of a solar wind?)

Still hazy, still an orange sun. Calm (the wind, not the sun), and cool enough for long sleeves and light gloves.

Just about ran over some small lizard-type thing. I wonder if it was someone's pet.
Old 08-31-17, 09:28 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
I got lucky twice. We had 3/4" of rain yesterday, an arm of rain from Harvey, starting after I got in to work and ending before I left. This morning we're waiting for the main remnants of the tropical storm to arrive, so it's a heavy overcast, humid as all get out, and everything is wet, but not raining. Great day for a ride! (so far...)
Old 08-31-17, 11:22 AM
Amitoj

Bikes: Bianchi Campione, Specialized Diverge Comp E5

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Amitoj
Back to work today after more than a week off. Still not commuting on bike though. Although most of the road rashes have healed, there is still some discomfort around the upper chest/neck/shoulder area. Waiting for it to go away as well in the next couple of days. Hoping to get on the bike sometime later this week.
Arrrgh this is so frustrating. The weather here is perfect for commuting and I am losing out on it. And soon it will be too dark and too cold to commute by bike.

My wounds have healed but my chest hurts every time I sneeze or lie down to sleep. This makes me believe I may have chest contusions, which take much longer to heal than road rashes Whatever. I am going to take the bike out for a ride this weekend to test the waters. And if I am not laid out in pain, then next week I resume bike commuting.
Old 08-31-17, 12:45 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
This might barely be 3 feet. It's hard to tell, but it certainly felt like a buzz, particularly since there were two other, completely open lanes and he was probably going 40.

Old 09-01-17, 04:09 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
This might barely be 3 feet. It's hard to tell, but it certainly felt like a buzz, particularly since there were two other, completely open lanes and he was probably going 40.

I never get that much when riding seems like you have a ton of space ... it's usually like this over here

space is tight and one just adjusts to be more aware

Last edited by acidfast7; 09-01-17 at 04:12 AM.
Old 09-01-17, 05:03 AM
essiemyra

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 88 Posts
A very nice uneventful ride to work this morning. When leaving the house the temp was 51f degrees and dark skies. I was able to run an errand on my way to work so I was productive. That is such a great feeling!
Old 09-01-17, 06:25 AM
mgw4jc

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, Trek 5000 TCT, Giant OCR

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 18 Posts
I bailed on riding home an my wife picked me up from work yesterday. Biggest bummer about that is missing the 500 miles for August. 487 total instead.

Some early morning rains made for wet roads, but not bad. More rain possibly coming around lunch time. It's almost too dark at 7am when I leave for regular sunglasses, especially when it is overcast. I may have to start out with the clear ones next week.
Old 09-01-17, 07:34 AM
JDinTulsa

Bikes: Priority Continuum; Azuki Gran Sports

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 7 Posts
I'm liking the temps here right now! Under 60 this morning! Left early so I didn't have to rush, and had light traffic. Was able to float thru most of the stop lights/signs. Ended up not taking any more time than usual to get to work.
Old 09-01-17, 07:43 AM
KCBikeCommuter

Bikes: Klein Quantum Race; Cannondale Supersix EVO Di2; Trek Crossrip LTD; Trek Boone 9 Disc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The city repaved a portion of my commute... and reconfigured the lanes as well. This section of road was 4-lanes, but after laying new asphalt this past weekend, they changed it to 2-lanes, with a center turn lane and bikes lanes! This stretch of road was never that bad, but I do like the new configuration!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_2197.jpg (94.1 KB, 37 views)
Old 09-01-17, 08:24 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by acidfast7
I never get that much when riding seems like you have a ton of space ... it's usually like this over here

Portsmouth

space is tight and one just adjusts to be more aware

tiiiiiiiite
It wasn't the distance so much as it was the speed and the fact that it was a 3-lane one way road, there was no other traffic, and no reason to pass so closely. Yours shows you riding within a few mph of the cars; my guy was at double my speed. That's what was startling.
Old 09-01-17, 08:55 AM
groovestew

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 33 Posts
Cool, cloudy and calm. Nice ride, uneventful. I saw some geese flying in a southerly direction; another sign of impending autumn.
Old 09-01-17, 09:05 AM
jrickards

Bikes: 2012 Kona Sutra, 2002 Look AL 384, 2018 Moose Fat bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw
45 here too. But a beautiful day. Looks like a headwind thermal like normal, so time to suit up and show up I guess. I think I am going to take the converted mountain bike commuter today. Put a different bar on it the other night that I would like to try out.

I bought those Jones H Bars for my wife's bike this summer, she loves them. The bike shop had never seen them before and thought they were great!!
Old 09-01-17, 09:09 AM
jrickards

Bikes: 2012 Kona Sutra, 2002 Look AL 384, 2018 Moose Fat bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Sheeesh! 3C/37F this morning with frost on some cars and roofs. I started to get a "brain freeze" a bit when I started out (I looked for a buff but I couldn't find one, I'll have to make sure it is available for the next time I need it) but after 10 minutes or so, I got out of the shade and also started to warm up so it wasn't a problem for too long. However, I did make sure that I had gloves on but I could still feel the cold through them.
Old 09-01-17, 09:24 AM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
51F, blinding sun
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
sunrise 2017-09-01.jpg (90.2 KB, 70 views)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.