Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Awesome Coffee Mug for Cyclist

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Awesome Coffee Mug for Cyclist

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-16, 02:33 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18373 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
Originally Posted by alan s
Who would back the more expensive option when the cheaper one is still available?
I don't know.

I find the "Early Bird" options annoying. If a mug is $20, then sell it for that price to everyone.

I wonder if they changed some of their limits mid-release, so say going from 10 to 20 ten-packs (leaving the early people backing the more expensive options).

The other thing that has happened, say a person chose to change rewards (buy multi-pack), then their earlier selection becomes available.

So, right now there is a "super early bird single mug" available for $20, something that wasn't available after the first few hours of the original release.
Old 10-07-16, 02:41 PM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
The early bird options are just like everything else. Register earlier for a bike ride event, and get a cheaper price. Buy an airline ticket farther in advance, get a cheaper price. Many things related to dates or events are generally more expensive closer to the actual date and/or event.
Old 10-07-16, 02:54 PM
CliffordK

It may help with planning a bit, but in the end, a $20 or $25 cup will cost the same amount to make.

Likewise, it will be the same to support a $50 or $60 rider on the next supported group ride. Perhaps the primary advantage is those that sign up early, then don't make it to the actual ride.

Of course, salespeople like mad purchases... rather than customers sleeping on a purchase. I get far too many "watch" items on my E-Bay list, but I might not have bought those anyway.

I highly detest the idea of riding on a jet, and each passenger pays a different amount. The only exception might be those last minute seat filling deals. If you want to wait till the last week to buy your Europe tour tickets, then you can get a discount... assuming there are available seats. Charging 3x for those last minute seats is silly and creates discontentment. And there is no reason to fly the plane half full because they chose to play with fares.
Old 10-07-16, 03:32 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4802 Post(s)
Liked 3,923 Times in 2,552 Posts
I went first to the home page to see the thread start. Saw this"

Originally Posted by no motor?
This will be snubbed by the fixie crowd who (think) that brakes are for old people.
and couldn't resist this: "Brake are for fixie riders who would like to grow old."

And on topic: Mugs are better with handles. Yes, when the handles break off a favorite, I use it without. But its not the same.

Ben (who's been riding fixed for 40 years and still wants to grow old. Just not tomorrow.)
Old 09-28-17, 08:19 PM
CliffordK

Well, the project missed Christmas 2016, but they're promising the mugs will be out in about another two weeks...

Well, maybe we'll see them by the end of October... Maybe.
Old 09-29-17, 08:36 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,426 Times in 2,533 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
I went first to the home page to see the thread start. Saw this"

and couldn't resist this: "Brake are for fixie riders who would like to grow old."

And on topic: Mugs are better with handles. Yes, when the handles break off a favorite, I use it without. But its not the same.

Ben (who's been riding fixed for 40 years and still wants to grow old. Just not tomorrow.)
Nice. How about this reformat:

There two types of fixie riders: young riders who think brakes are for old riders, and riders with brakes who have managed to grow old
Old 09-29-17, 08:54 AM
Abe_Froman

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 9347 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by joeyduck
I was into Nalgene well before they were a fad. I used them backpacking and as a chemist they are fairly ubiquitous. My collection peaked in about 2004, I tended to find them littered on the road or at playgrounds. I only bought three out of maybe 8 in my lifetime. My current Nalgene is from well before BPA was worried about in the media.

I am also into the tried and true items. Cast iron FTW. I used to get so mad after my accident when my frying pan was ruined due to my in laws constantly soaking with soap. I even found it in the dishwasher once!!
I've thrown in the towel on cast iron. I liked the idea of it farm more than it's performance in practice. The stupid 'seasoning' thing lasts about exactly once use before flaking off. I even took to leaving it season on the gas grill for 5 hrs outside lol.

Cheap oven safe nonstick pans from here on out.
Old 09-29-17, 09:45 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

I find that cast iron is not really nonstick, like for frying eggs, unless you use a LOT of fat (in which case it's the fat is doing the nonstick work, not the pan). If you are experiencing "flaking off" with your cast iron, I think you're doing it wrong. I've never seen that.

Most commonly I'll make a dry-fried (toasted I guess) quesadilla, then serve it on a plate smothered in sour cream and salsa, to eat with a fork and knife. Or chopped potatoes tossed with oil, salt, rosemary, heated on the stove while the oven is preheating, then slide into the oven to roast @ 450 for like 30-40 minutes. Add garlic near the end, it will burn if it roasts for too long. I've also had success with the cast iron as a vessel for deep dish pizza.

We also have a cast iron griddle that covers two burners that we use for pancakes, a little pam sprayed on and it works great. And dutch oven that is used mostly for stews and works great for dutch baby.

I found this interesting:
The Truth About Cast Iron Pans: 7 Myths That Need To Go Away | Serious Eats
See especially "Myth #3: My well-seasoned cast iron pan is as non-stick as any non-stick pan out there."
Old 09-29-17, 10:43 AM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
This is a new debate: cast iron vs alloy. Alloy is lighter and better.
Old 09-29-17, 10:46 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Dude, have you tried a carbon fiber frying pan? So light, and the power (heat?) transfer is amazing. I just hope it doesn't assplode in my hands while I'm using it
Old 09-29-17, 01:34 PM
joeyduck

Bikes: 1997 Kona Hahana Race Light, 2010 Surly LHT(deceased), 1999 Rocky Mountain Turbo

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I take my cast iron on kayak trips? Depending on the hike I would consider it as well.

@RubeRad I used a knife to check a sausage in my carbon fiber pan and I scraped the surface. The next egg crack cause the pan to asplose all over the room leaving carbom fiber darts in any surface in its path.

Any who my eggs are better with butter. I have also taken to baking my bacon and not using my frying pan. Now I have a big jar of grease I want to use to lube my chains. Hmmm.
Old 09-29-17, 01:41 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

lol, we also save all our bacon grease, so there's always a mason jar in the fridge, that's always what I fry my eggs in, but on teflon. I'm always kind of disappointed because it smells like bacon when cooking, but food cooked in bacon grease never tastes at all like bacon (to me). It's like drinking herbal tea. It smells great, and tastes like hot water. I dunno, maybe I'm taste-blind.
Old 09-29-17, 01:42 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

@RubeRad I used a knife to check a sausage in my carbon fiber pan and I scraped the surface. The next egg crack cause the pan to asplose all over the room leaving carbom fiber darts in any surface in its path.
You idiot, you shoulda used a torque knife in order not to damage the CF. And maybe some assembly paste as well.
Old 09-29-17, 02:01 PM
joeyduck

Bikes: 1997 Kona Hahana Race Light, 2010 Surly LHT(deceased), 1999 Rocky Mountain Turbo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RubeRad
You idiot, you shoulda used a torque knife in order not to damage the CF. And maybe some assembly paste as well.
Damn, you are right; this is where I went wrong. I can't meld together old school cool and new school fool. I tried my regular knife and butter when I certainly should have been using a torque knife and assembly paste.

Here I go deeper into my old man forest grumbling for kids to get off my yard and how the good ole days were easier.

Regarding bacon grease. I don't use it for my eggs but anytime I sear meat I use it. It give a nice browned surface and a great taste. Mmm seared meat. I made a delicious maple bourbon pork loin this week. That is dinner tonight.
Old 09-29-17, 02:03 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Protip: grilled cheese with bacon grease instead of butter gets a crunchier crisp, and gives you a longer window of inattention before burning (I find with butter the window between unmelted cheese and burnt bread is about 5ms)
Old 09-29-17, 02:14 PM
joeyduck

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Protip: grilled cheese with bacon grease instead of butter gets a crunchier crisp, and gives you a longer window of inattention before burning (I find with butter the window between unmelted cheese and burnt bread is about 5ms)
I may try that this weekend. I have switched to putting a nice layer of mayo on my bread and still buttering the pan. That has been working nicely.

I suspect the longer smoke/burn point is due to the fact you've rendered the grease from the original cooking process.

I make my eggs with a bit of olive oil to dissolve the turmeric then I add chipotle powder, mashed garlic (smushed with the side of the knife using oil and salt), and finally tarragon. Mix it up then mix in the eggs. I love the flavor profile of those spices in the egg. My 2 year old loves the spice.

My Sunday morning mainstay when guests are over is done in my cast iron pan. It is a caramel apple puff pancake. Sugar and butter in the pan to make a just browned soft caramel. Add apple slices, cook a few minutes. Add batter put in a hot oven, 400°F to 450°C, cook until done. Take out and turn out onto plate. Serve with powdered sugar, maple syrup, and apple sauce. Amazing. Guests love it since it looks fancy but is easy peasy.
Old 09-29-17, 03:17 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

chipotle garlic turmeric tarragon eggs and caramel apple puff pancake sound great! I will try to remember to grab some tarragon next time I'm at the store. For the pancake, you use just any pancake batter, enough to cover the apples?
Old 09-29-17, 03:50 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4802 Post(s)
Liked 3,923 Times in 2,552 Posts
I've been using cast iron frying pans for the past 40 years. Not a whole lot of meat though. I just use plenty of plain virgin olive oil. Figure it isn't going to hurt me. Pans clean up fast with water and get hung up still slightly wet. I guess I never got the message this was hard.

I guess I do the seasoning routine with new pans. Been so long since I bought one that I have no idea what I did.

Ben
Old 09-30-17, 07:35 PM
joeyduck

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
chipotle garlic turmeric tarragon eggs and caramel apple puff pancake sound great! I will try to remember to grab some tarragon next time I'm at the store. For the pancake, you use just any pancake batter, enough to cover the apples?
Here's my recipe:
Preheat oven to 425°F

Slice apples.
In frying pan melt 1/3ish cup of butter
Add 1/3ish cup of sugar
Stir. Add apple slices in a nice pattern when sugar butter begins to lightly brown. At this point I usually sit off the heat but leave the pan on the burner (I use electric so you may want to just lower gas heat and don't forget about it).

Beat well 3 or 4 eggs.
Add 1 cup milk
Add 2 teaspoons baking powder
Add 2 tablespoons sugar
Add 1 cup flour (I use a gluten free flour blend).

Mix well.
Add to hot pan.
Put in oven.
Cook 18 to 20 minutes.

This is my lazy breakfast.

To do a proper puff pancake separate the egg whites and omit the baking powder. Whip the eg whites and fold them into the batter just before baking.
Old 09-30-17, 08:49 PM
McBTC

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 39 Posts
... I'm always kind of disappointed because it smells like bacon when cooking, but food cooked in bacon grease never tastes at all like bacon (to me).

Nope, it tastes like lard.
Old 10-01-17, 12:59 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty

How do you put it on the bike?

I assume that was already asked, I'm late.
Old 10-01-17, 04:15 AM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by Rollfast
How do you put it on the bike?

I assume that was already asked, I'm late.
Yeah, somewhere it was pointed out that it isn't too cage friendly.

One could have designed it with the brake lever open, with the right size and bumps to fit into a cage. Maybe the next generation.
Old 10-01-17, 03:23 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,463 Times in 1,433 Posts
Thanks for the cooking tips, folks. I had a grilled cheese for breakfast as a result of the inspiration.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 10-01-17, 04:04 PM
McBTC

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 39 Posts
Tuna salad for the toasted cheese bread:

Cut up some onion and dill pickle in a small bowl. Pour in an extra bit of the pickle juice, squeeze in some mayo and mix in some black pepper and celery seed to make a dressing. Mash a drained can of albacore tuna into the dressing.
Old 10-02-17, 09:11 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

This is my lazy breakfast.
Thanks, I'm gonna be even lazier and just use Krusteaz

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.