Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Disk rim recommendation?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Disk rim recommendation?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-17, 10:43 AM
IK_biker
old fart

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Focusing on 700c for this setup sounds odd.
Switching to disc brakes allows an opportunity to also switch to smaller, lighter, and stronger wheels affording higher comfort: 26" or 650b with a fatter tire.
Why ignore it?
Old 11-23-17, 11:03 AM
tspoon

Bikes: 1990 Paul Dye Hand Built 7 Speed, 1965 Raleigh Sport, Folding 26" Tourer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
You commented above that you tour light, weigh about 150 lbs and plan to use 32 spokes.

I do not really think that the eyelets are that critical. But I have never had a rim fail, maybe you should ask if people that have had rims fail if they had eyelets.
I've only had one rim failure, A719 on a rear wheel, the spoke pulled through the rim. I would say overly tightened at a guess. The spokes were straight gauge, possibly a case where a butted spoke may have resulted in a wheel lasting forever, but the wheel had done over 80,000k on straight gauge, so I wasn't to bothered by it eventually giving up. Lately I've been using rims with single eyelets, or even no eyelets and a deep V profile, but have nowhere near enough mileage on them to know if there is a significant difference.

Until very recently I had never owned a wheel with less than 36 spokes, I now own a bike with 32 front and rear. And, while not disputing that butted spokes are superior, I have actually had decent results with straight gauge spokes, not to mention spokes not from the more fancied manufacturers. The last time I had a broken spoke was 13 years ago, on a machine built wheel, actually that wheel continually broke spokes. In response I bought the A719 mentioned, built for me by a local shop, and proceeded to say goodbye to broken spokes. Since then I have rebuilt the wheel myself, re-using the spokes, and then proceeded to build all subsequent wheels too.
Old 11-23-17, 01:18 PM
manapua_man

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by 3speed
I'm getting a new frame-set and will be switching to disk wheels. I weigh about 150lbs and tour light. The current criteria for the touring forum seems to be that the wheels can survive a bomb explosion(bomb proof). I don't know if I need anything that crazy. Should I be looking at light weight 622(700c)MTB rims? Any suggestions of good 32 spoke rims that don't need to survive riding over a bomb and therefore have the extra weight necessary for that?

I get by fine with 32 rear 28 front when I'm not loading the bikes down with much more than a giant bike packing style saddle bag and a handlebar bag, and I weigh about 220lbs. My newest rear wheel is a DT Swiss RR 511 rim, double butted spokes and Hope Pro 4 hub.

IMHO how well your wheels will hold up is probably going to have more to do with how you ride than anything else.
Old 11-23-17, 01:29 PM
DeadGrandpa

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough.

Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 201 Posts
I might be overly susceptible to new design and marketing, but I really like the concept and execution of the new Industry 9 proprietary hubs/spokes/rims. The spokes are straight; no "J" bend is needed to fit the hub, the nipples are intrinsic to the formation of the spokes, so no weak point like with standard spokes where they are threaded into the nipple. At least that's what the guy at my LBS said. The rims, either aluminum or carbon, are unknown strength, but I like the i9 approach.
Old 11-23-17, 01:42 PM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Originally Posted by DeadGrandpa
I might be overly susceptible to new design and marketing, but I really like the concept and execution of the new Industry 9 proprietary hubs/spokes/rims. The spokes are straight; no "J" bend is needed to fit the hub, the nipples are intrinsic to the formation of the spokes, so no weak point like with standard spokes where they are threaded into the nipple. At least that's what the guy at my LBS said. The rims, either aluminum or carbon, are unknown strength, but I like the i9 approach.
Nothing new. Mavic has been doing this for years.
Old 11-23-17, 03:08 PM
manapua_man

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I don't think straight pull spokes/hubs etc. have been a new thing for at least a few decades now.
Old 11-23-17, 03:57 PM
DeadGrandpa

Originally Posted by alan s
Nothing new. Mavic has been doing this for years.
I did not know that. My LBS guy said i9 had just announced these new straight pull spoke/hubs things.

Last edited by DeadGrandpa; 11-23-17 at 06:03 PM.
Old 11-23-17, 04:01 PM
DeadGrandpa

Originally Posted by manapua_man
I don't think straight pull spokes/hubs etc. have been a new thing for at least a few decades now.
I guess I've been living in the past. I should have said that the design is new to me. I guess the next thing you'll tell me is that we don't need tubes anymore.
Old 11-23-17, 04:12 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
a rim type.. with a brake track is OK, even if you don't need it for the brakes... don't overthink this.
Old 11-23-17, 07:37 PM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Good wheels with good spokes is just cheap insurance.
New sig material.
Old 11-24-17, 12:14 AM
chrisx

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
I guess I've been living in the past. I should have said that the design is new to me. I guess the next thing you'll tell me is that we don't need tubes anymore.

Is the xr 331 tubeless? I do not like the 20mm internal width. I little wider would be nice.

My stans flow rims out lasted my Hope hubs and dt brass nipples. Well, I tossed the front Hope hub because it had developed to much side to side play. I replaced the bearings in the rear hope hub, and will someday reuse it on my 1995 bike. When the dt swiss brass nipples started to crack, I replaced the hope hubs with xt 756 hubs and dt straight spokes. 4x

Do you plan to build your wheels 2x, 3x, or 4x? I like 4x better. 2, 3, or 4 x means the spokes cross other spokes 2, 3, or 4 times. The 4x is a stiffer wheel, and a nicer ride. You can tell the difference.

32 is enough. It takes a long time to wear out a hope hub. I ride in harsh environments too. 32 spoke stans rims will last, I am sure. In the old days they used 36,in the new days the equuiptment is better.

Tubelessis the future
rims are getting wider
dt swiss hubs last a long time
Do you own cone wrenches and know how to adjust shimano bearings, or do you want to pay more for dt cartridge bearings?

You get more enjoyment from riding on a wheel you built yourself.

Last edited by chrisx; 11-24-17 at 12:28 AM.
Old 11-24-17, 08:26 AM
3speed

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by IK_biker
Focusing on 700c for this setup sounds odd.
Switching to disc brakes allows an opportunity to also switch to smaller, lighter, and stronger wheels affording higher comfort: 26" or 650b with a fatter tire.
Why ignore it?
Fat tires equal more weight. I'd rather not. Actually I did my last tour with 700x35c tires and came to the conclusion that it's overkill for a paved tour and plan to go with 700x32 on my next tour if it's paved. I was wondering about the wheel-size, though. Is there any reason not to throw my 26" MTB wheels on this bike with some higher volume tires for a gravel/dirt tour? My outer tire diameter will be slightly smaller, but I can't think of any other changes. I can't think of how it would change the handling or geometry. Would it? A 650B wheel-set might be the sweet spot for non-paved tours down the road. I just can't afford to build another wheel-set for this bike right now. I'm probably already gonna end up dropping $500+ on it and the holidays are coming up and then I'm moving the first week of the new year...

Nice
Old 11-24-17, 12:40 PM
tspoon

Bikes: 1990 Paul Dye Hand Built 7 Speed, 1965 Raleigh Sport, Folding 26" Tourer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 15 Posts
If the 26" tire is slightly smaller, you would run an increased possibility of pedal strike as they would be slightly closer to the ground. The fork trail will also be altered (reduced), altering your steering response. It would be worth trying out a set before starting a trip.
Old 11-24-17, 05:24 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Wrong for touring.. you strayed from the road bike carbon addict section..
Old 11-24-17, 06:24 PM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Originally Posted by zzzxxx111
Wrong.
Looking to be banned again?
Old 11-24-17, 09:24 PM
manapua_man

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Wrong for touring.. you strayed from the road bike carbon addict section..

I've toured on carbon MTB rims without any problems. It's definitely overkill, but I doubt anything that would realistically kill them wouldn't trash an alloy rim too.
Old 11-25-17, 04:10 AM
3speed

Well, he is wrong...
Old 11-25-17, 06:01 AM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 229 Posts
I'm getting a new frame-set and will be switching to disk wheels....
...Is there any reason not to throw my 26" MTB wheels on this bike with some higher volume tires for a gravel/dirt tour? .... I just can't afford to build another wheel-set for this bike right now....
since you've already got the wheels and other components, why not get yourself
a 26" touring frame designed for fatter tires, avoid the headache of deciphering
bb drop and rake and trail. put it together and go.

i'd be willing to drop $360 (includes shipping) of your cash to try out one of
these tsunami framesets w/fork!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/TSUNAMI-Chr...sFyW-5h54h9VHQ

Old 11-26-17, 11:27 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,204 Times in 2,358 Posts
Cyccomute You've proved your engineering background. I have much more respect for your opinions than most others. So are you saying that spoke quality is the single most important factor to strong wheels?
With the proviso of all other things being equal, yes, I would say that spoke strength is the most important factor to strong wheels. Think about what "kills" a wheel. Wear out a rim and you can replace it with a rim of equivalent ERD. But if you break only a few spokes...especially 2.0mm and thinner...and the wheel is toast. (Breaking a hub is a different story but thankfully rare.)

I have said this numerous times in the past but it is possible to build a wheel out of the strongest rim that you can find...a steel one...and the lightest spokes you can find and you'll have a positively awful wheel.

Where does that put spoke count? Within a reasonable range say 28-36, Or extreme like 20 or 48? What about J-bend or straight pull spokes? Finally light rims, particularly Carbon? And of course the skill of the wheel builder?
Yes, the number of spokes matter. Even with a stronger spoke, a 28 spoke wheel is going to be more prone to spoke breakage than a 48 spoke wheel, especially if the bike is carrying more load. That's the reason people have gone to such high spoke counts. But the triple butted spokes do increase the resistance to breakage significantly which means you can build with fewer spokes. In the day and age where high spoke count rims are rapidly disappearing, that a plus. 48 spoke rims (and hubs) have always been rare. 40 spoke wheels are equally rare. With disc hubs it's even hard to find 36 spoke hubs and there are fewer 36 spoke rims to go along with them.

I wouldn't ride them personally but building a 20 spoke wheel with triple buttes spokes would be at least the equivalent of a 24 spoke wheel, in my opinion. I don't completely agree with Hjertberg that it's the equivalent of 10 extra spokes but, I suspect, it's higher than the 4 extra spokes I give it.

As to the type of spoke, I'm not a fan of straight pull...not may people are if you go by the availability of straight pull wheels. I find them difficult to build with because of the twist when tensioning. I realize they are probably stronger but getting the tension high enough to take advantage of that extra strength is difficult. There is also the proprietary nature of most straight pull spokes and wheels. There are lots and lots of straight pull wheels out there that are basically useless because you can't replace a broken spoke.

Carbon rims just aren't something that I've personally worked with. They are too expensive. Frankly, I haven't even seen one yet. At the current price of carbon fiber, I don't expect to see the price come down much in the near future, either. Even if you could reduce the price of the raw fiber, the material still involves a lot of hand work which is expensive as well. They could be great rims but at this point they are out of reach of most wheel builders.

Yes, wheel builder skill is a factor and it's important. But a triple butted spoke is more forgiving than other spokes. A new builder would benefit from using a spoke that takes more to break. If you undertension a double butted spoke, it is far easier to break than an undertensioned stronger spoke. The nature of the tighter fit in the hub also makes for a slightly stiffer wheel so an undertensioned spoke won't flex quite as much which means it doesn't break as easily. Bend a thin wire vs a thick wire sometime and see which one breaks first.

Basically, a new builder building with triple butted spokes will build a better wheel and have a better experience for their first few wheels. The failure of your first few wheels is probably the worst hurtle to get over as a new wheel builder. I'm a stubborn as a Missouri mule...I get it from my Grandmother...so I just stuck with building until I figured it out but many people give up much earlier than I would.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 11-26-17, 03:55 PM
3speed

Just for fun, here's a link.
Old 11-28-17, 12:55 AM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 223 Posts
With the proviso of all other things being equal, yes, I would say that spoke strength is the most important factor to strong wheels. Think about what "kills" a wheel. Wear out a rim and you can replace it with a rim of equivalent ERD. But if you break only a few spokes...especially 2.0mm and thinner...and the wheel is toast. (Breaking a hub is a different story but thankfully rare.)

I have said this numerous times in the past but it is possible to build a wheel out of the strongest rim that you can find...a steel one...and the lightest spokes you can find and you'll have a positively awful wheel.
Going by this and the first post you made on this thread, you don't really think a rim does not matter? Right? I mean try building a wheel out of a pool noodle. It won't work because the rim is not stiff enough. Rim stiffness, especially vertical stiffness has a concrete and crucial effect on wheel durability. A rim that flexes vertically will allow for the spokes nearest to the ground to slacken more than a rim that does not flex. A stiffer rim will distribute the load to the bottom spokes more equally so that no single spoke gets too slack. Spokes going slack is the main reason wheels die as the cycle of going slack and getting tight repeated for thousands of times will fatigue the steel.
There is a reason touring rims are usually heavier than sporty rims. It's not purely about the 'more material', it's about more material in the right places to make the rim stiffer vertically foremost but also laterally.
And another point for touring (at least some of them) is the beefing of the nipple seats. For example the Ryde (Rigida) andra 40 has a specially thickened nipple seating area making it possible to tighten spokes up to 140kgf, which is really nice for a touring build since you can get the non drive side spokes to almost 100kgf making the wheel essentially bomb proof.

Also I find it weird you use a steel rim as an example of a strong rim as it has been known for years, decades even that steel is not a good rim material. It cannot be extruded into complex shapes the same way aluminum can. Steel rims are flexy and weak and wear resistance is the only thing they have going for them, but braking on a steel surface sucks. On the other hand extruded aluminum rims can be made stiffer and lighter and pretty much better in any way.
Is it because you don't know, or is it because using a false example makes your argument more compelling?

If you were really looking for a strong rim to compare you'd take a carbon rim with a deep V-section. Those things have almost nonexistent vertical flex and are stronger by far than any other rim material, especially if the weight is the same (although carbon rims are usually lighter)

So I would say what makes a strong touring wheel is

1) A good V or V-type box section touring rim

2) good quality spokes (like you I prefer the DT Alpine III's)

3) Hub flange spacing and dimensions. The hub can have a pretty large effect as it dictates the tension ratio of the spokes. A badly spaced hub (flange wise) will make a weaker wheel than a well spaced one since the non drive side spokes will be slacker.

Yes, the number of spokes matter. Even with a stronger spoke, a 28 spoke wheel is going to be more prone to spoke breakage than a 48 spoke wheel, especially if the bike is carrying more load. That's the reason people have gone to such high spoke counts. But the triple butted spokes do increase the resistance to breakage significantly which means you can build with fewer spokes. In the day and age where high spoke count rims are rapidly disappearing, that a plus. 48 spoke rims (and hubs) have always been rare. 40 spoke wheels are equally rare. With disc hubs it's even hard to find 36 spoke hubs and there are fewer 36 spoke rims to go along with them.
I agree with this though. I will say however that 48 and even 40 spoke wheels have been getting rarer and rarer due to the fact that they are no longer needed in majority of uses, not even touring. 48 spokes used to be a crutch for heavily loaded bikes since rims were of the old steel kind, hence flexy and spoke breaking, and spokes weren't as good as they are today. I would say there is very little need to go over 36 spokes in a touring build these days, even with a 700c wheel. That said I wouldn't do any loaded touring with under 36 spokes either. Maybe 32 if I was going really light but 36 is a nice number.
Old 11-28-17, 02:18 AM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Originally Posted by elcruxio
Going by this and the first post you made on this thread, you don't really think a rim does not matter? Right? I mean try building a wheel out of a pool noodle. It won't work because the rim is not stiff enough.
With in reason the rim doesn't matter that much. No, I wouldn't use a pool noodle but that mostly because a pool noodle wouldn't hold the tension on the spoke. A spoke without tension won't carry any weight as it's just a thin piece of wire at that point.

But for most rims, there is more than enough stiffness to build a very good wheel if you choose the right spokes. The 380g DT Swiss XR 331 really isn't going to be any more flexible than a 525g Velocity Dyad or a 450g Velocity A23. On the other hand, it's likelier to be stiffer than the flat Rigida you suggest below because the rim is a bit taller.

Rim stiffness, especially vertical stiffness has a concrete and crucial effect on wheel durability. A rim that flexes vertically will allow for the spokes nearest to the ground to slacken more than a rim that does not flex. A stiffer rim will distribute the load to the bottom spokes more equally so that no single spoke gets too slack. Spokes going slack is the main reason wheels die as the cycle of going slack and getting tight repeated for thousands of times will fatigue the steel.
Most rims made today are triangular in shape so they have that vertical stiffness. There are a few flat profile rims still hanging around but most of those are much thicker walled to provide at least a little stiffness. But even a very deep v rim is only marginally stiffer than a flatter rim. It's the nature of the aluminum which isn't a stiff material.

Even if you get a rim that has a lot of vertical stiffness, the spokes are still going to go through a tension/detension cycle. It's just the nature of the wheel.

A lot of vertical height does offer the advantage of using shorter spokes.

There is a reason touring rims are usually heavier than sporty rims. It's not purely about the 'more material', it's about more material in the right places to make the rim stiffer vertically foremost but also laterally.
Most of the "touring" rims I've seen aren't that taller nor do they use that much more material in the rim. They all have similar profiles from the die extruder. Touring wheels are slightly thicker in terms of wall material but, again, aluminum is a soft material. A few tenths of a millimeter of wall thickness isn't going to make a significant difference in the flexibility of the material.

And another point for touring (at least some of them) is the beefing of the nipple seats. For example the Ryde (Rigida) andra 40 has a specially thickened nipple seating area making it possible to tighten spokes up to 140kgf, which is really nice for a touring build since you can get the non drive side spokes to almost 100kgf making the wheel essentially bomb proof.
Most every profile of a rim that I've seen includes the same thicker nipple bed as the Rigida's profile. Most rim manufacturers are aware of the benefits of a thicker nipple bed. The Velocity A23's profile shows a similar thickness as that seen in the Rigida rim with the additional benefit of a V shaped rim.

Also I find it weird you use a steel rim as an example of a strong rim as it has been known for years, decades even that steel is not a good rim material. It cannot be extruded into complex shapes the same way aluminum can. Steel rims are flexy and weak and wear resistance is the only thing they have going for them, but braking on a steel surface sucks. On the other hand extruded aluminum rims can be made stiffer and lighter and pretty much better in any way.

Is it because you don't know, or is it because using a false example makes your argument more compelling?
I choose a steel rim as an example of the strongest rim material available. It is far from "flexy" and weak. Yes, it is hard to extrude in to complex shapes but not impossible. The only reason it isn't is because there is no market for that kind of rim. All things being equal...i.e. same shape, width and wall thickness...a steel rim is going to be about 3 times stronger and stiffer than an aluminum rim. Steel rims are a bear to true because you have to put much more tension on the spoke to bend the rim. You can beat a steel rim six ways from Sunday and still not do the damage to one that you can do to an aluminum rim with far less force.

But you are missing the point of my argument. A steel rim is stronger than any aluminum rim available. It resists bending and even detensioning of the spokes better than aluminum. You can put more tension on the spokes by a large factor than you can on an aluminm rim. However, build a steel rim with light spokes and the wheel isn't going to be more durable nor stronger than an aluminum wheel build with strong spokes. On the contrary it will be weaker because of the spokes.

I agree with this though. I will say however that 48 and even 40 spoke wheels have been getting rarer and rarer due to the fact that they are no longer needed in majority of uses, not even touring. 48 spokes used to be a crutch for heavily loaded bikes since rims were of the old steel kind, hence flexy and spoke breaking, and spokes weren't as good as they are today. I would say there is very little need to go over 36 spokes in a touring build these days, even with a 700c wheel. That said I wouldn't do any loaded touring with under 36 spokes either. Maybe 32 if I was going really light but 36 is a nice number.
I haven't run across any 48 hole steel rims in several decades of being a bicycle nut. A few aluminum rims...and very few of them...but not any steel ones. I'll agree that spokes are better than they used to be so that you can get by with fewer spokes. That said, using triple butted spokes means that you can get by with even fewer spokes doing a better job or, on the flip side, you can ride with confidence on wheels for which rims are still somewhat available.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 11-28-17, 02:58 AM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 223 Posts
With in reason the rim doesn't matter that much. No, I wouldn't use a pool noodle but that mostly because a pool noodle wouldn't hold the tension on the spoke. A spoke without tension won't carry any weight as it's just a thin piece of wire at that point.

But for most rims, there is more than enough stiffness to build a very good wheel if you choose the right spokes. The 380g DT Swiss XR 331 really isn't going to be any more flexible than a 525g Velocity Dyad or a 450g Velocity A23. On the other hand, it's likelier to be stiffer than the flat Rigida you suggest below because the rim is a bit taller.
You sure about that? Less weight means less material which then means less resistance to bending. Also the XR 331 has a system limit of only 110kg, which is not a lot by touring rim standards.
And the problem I have with all of those as touring rims is that they are pretty shallow in shape. I prefer something like the TK 540 since it has the V-shaped top but also a lot of vertical surface.
So either a pretty deep V or a v+box like the TK540

Most rims made today are triangular in shape so they have that vertical stiffness. There are a few flat profile rims still hanging around but most of those are much thicker walled to provide at least a little stiffness. But even a very deep v rim is only marginally stiffer than a flatter rim. It's the nature of the aluminum which isn't a stiff material.

Even if you get a rim that has a lot of vertical stiffness, the spokes are still going to go through a tension/detension cycle. It's just the nature of the wheel.

A lot of vertical height does offer the advantage of using shorter spokes.
All the more reason why shaping the material correctly makes a big difference in rim performance. And while it is true that spokes go through those detension cycles even with the stiffest of rims, the additional stiffness eliminates the kinds of point slackenings old steel rims and current light shallow box section aluminum rims suffer from.

Most of the "touring" rims I've seen aren't that taller nor do they use that much more material in the rim. They all have similar profiles from the die extruder. Touring wheels are slightly thicker in terms of wall material but, again, aluminum is a soft material. A few tenths of a millimeter of wall thickness isn't going to make a significant difference in the flexibility of the material.
Just having the word touring in the marketing material rarely means anything. It's better to find a rim that's actually a good rim even with the marketing material. I would also disagree that adding material does not make a significant difference as that material can either be added to support a stiffer shape or to make the walls thicker or both. A good touring rim is likely to be heavier when compared to a racing rim since it has both the shape and wall thickenesses in tandem to create a more resistant rim. It is also those things in tandem that make the rim stiffer, not just slapping on extra material somewhere.

Most every profile of a rim that I've seen includes the same thicker nipple bed as the Rigida's profile. Most rim manufacturers are aware of the benefits of a thicker nipple bed. The Velocity A23's profile shows a similar thickness as that seen in the Rigida rim with the additional benefit of a V shaped rim.
You haven't seen many rims have you? Or you just haven't checked out the Ryde Andra profiles in a while. Go check them out. You cannot find those kind of nipple beds in many other rims. I mean sure other manufacturers make the nipple bed a thicker area but there are not many rims that are given the 140kgf rating (well, you can push carbon up to 180kgf easy, but that's carbon for you)

I choose a steel rim as an example of the strongest rim material available. It is far from "flexy" and weak. Yes, it is hard to extrude in to complex shapes but not impossible. The only reason it isn't is because there is no market for that kind of rim. All things being equal...i.e. same shape, width and wall thickness...a steel rim is going to be about 3 times stronger and stiffer than an aluminum rim. Steel rims are a bear to true because you have to put much more tension on the spoke to bend the rim. You can beat a steel rim six ways from Sunday and still not do the damage to one that you can do to an aluminum rim with far less force.
Yes, the rim is going to be 3 times stiffer and more durable and all that, but it'll also weigh 1500 grams or more, which is insane. Aluminum is used because you can get better properties with far less weight due to the complex extrusion shapes. And there is an added bonus. Steel may be 3 times stiffer, but metals gain added stiffness through thickness, so if you have a steel bar and an aluminum bar three times as thick, the aluminum one is going to be stiffer. In terms of bicycle frames that can be either good or bad depending what is sought, but in terms of rims it's a definite bonus. In terms of rims, if you have the same profile for the two materials but the aluminum with 3 times the wall thickness to balance the weight, the aluminum is going to be slightly stiffer.

I have honestly never seen a v+box double walled steel rim. I bet it would be a bear to true but the steel rims I've have have been essentially folded sheet steel which made them heavy but horrible in every other aspect. And they weren't even that durable since a kid could bend them to oblivion with pretty conservative riding.

But you are missing the point of my argument. A steel rim is stronger than any aluminum rim available. It resists bending and even detensioning of the spokes better than aluminum. You can put more tension on the spokes by a large factor than you can on an aluminm rim. However, build a steel rim with light spokes and the wheel isn't going to be more durable nor stronger than an aluminum wheel build with strong spokes. On the contrary it will be weaker because of the spokes.
IF it is the same shape as the comparison aluminum rim, but that's not reality. Light spokes is not going to be an issue either. It'd rather take light spokes over straight gauge but like you, I prefer the Alpine III's as they combine best of both worlds.

I would like to see rims specifically made for touring though, where a combination of aluminum and steel could be used. The main parts of the rim would be aluminum but the nipple bed would be steel. How that would work with galvanic corrosion and all would be difficult to solve, but if it was possible it would be neat. Or I'll just go carbon once proper carbon touring rims come out at some point since those are going to be practically indestructible.
Old 11-28-17, 09:25 AM
linus
Crawler

Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 15 Posts
Yet another thread ruined by two fools.
Old 11-28-17, 09:53 AM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by linus
Yet another thread ruined by two fools.
Need to get your post count up?

I only see one fool...and it's not who you think. No one said you have to read everything that is posted and, frankly, this kind of sniping adds nothing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.