Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

2017! The how was your commute thread!

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

2017! The how was your commute thread!

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-17, 10:39 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,931 Times in 1,212 Posts
Pretty good ride home last night. I took the long way home, and was surprised at how many houses have started the annual electricity consumption project -- I mean put up holiday decorations. A few of them looked nice!

Nice morning's ride this morning. A bit warmer since I had to hang out clean bike clothes to dry and so I left later.
Old 11-29-17, 12:06 PM
reidconti
Carbon compliance tester

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Getting a bit cold in the SF Bay Area. Mid-40s overnight which means when I start out with shorts+tights and a sweatshirt and long finger gloves, it can be a bit too chilly in the shade.

Got a 2nd flat on my commuter bike. First one was in the rain, piece of glass stuck to the tire and worked its way in. This one happened about a half mile from work so I just walked my bike in. I don't bother carrying tools because it's such a colossal pain in the ass to change a tire on my geared hub bike, and don't want to have to carry 5lbs more on top of what i already carry. Probably takes me 30 minutes at this point. I'll just take a Lyft home or something. Might start leaving tools at work, but oh man, changing a flat on this bike sucks.

On the plus side, my lights (B&M IQ-X and Topline brake-tec) are awesome.
Old 11-29-17, 02:47 PM
joeyduck

Bikes: 1997 Kona Hahana Race Light, 2010 Surly LHT(deceased), 1999 Rocky Mountain Turbo

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mgw4jc
I forgot to mention yesterday that I saw a coyote on the MUP. At least I'm pretty sure that's what it was. It was as big as a german shepherd, but all tan. When it saw me, it silently trotted off and disappeared into some tall brush.

This morning was again at about 28/29F.
About 9 miles in I made a left when under my seat there arose such a clatter.
I pulled off to the side to see what was the matter.
Away to the side I stopped in a flash,
Unclicked from my pedals or else I would crash.
The sun filtered through the trees with a glow.
And a hiss I could hear, from where I didn't know.
When, what to my wondering eyes should appear,
But a wood screw in my tire and I said, "Oh dear."

Coincidentally Nashbar has extended their cyber monday sales. Lots of things (well tires and tubes anyway) are discounted and all orders get free shipping. I just ordered 3 tubes for $10.88. Not bad.
Great rhyme. Isn't life more fun when you sing. For the record I am a terrible singer and my two year old tells me to, "Stop singing Daddy!" at the slightest indication of me singing or rhyming.

A (dad) joke:
Which type of dog is the best poet?

A Weimar-rhymer.
Old 11-29-17, 02:57 PM
joeyduck

Bikes: 1997 Kona Hahana Race Light, 2010 Surly LHT(deceased), 1999 Rocky Mountain Turbo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
@wphamilton, I'm amazed at how many people (that I don't know!) recognize me because I come in wearing cycling clothes. I can rarely recognize cyclists when they've got "normal" clothes on -- I guess I get distracted by bright helmets and jerseys, or sunglasses.

Another frosty morning today, but still and mostly quiet, so it was a good ride. The excitement came before I left the house -- a large hawk in the back yard had a squirrel in its talons. The dog (my sister's King Charles spaniel?) was going nuts, but we didn't want her to become fast food seconds, so she had to stay in.
It is funny how we can recognize people in certain situation and not at all in others.

I swam through university and high school and at the end of each season we would shave our bodies and taper our practices. Anywho you get a huge group of hairless swimmers in the same suit it can be confusing. But I could recognize anyone I knew from a distance. But get them dressed and I wouldn't know them at all. That sounds more strange than it really is.

The weather has been up and down but we have not had as much rain as we were having. My wife is back from her trip; I give props to all single parents. Parenting is at best a team sport, maybe even a community.

I have been riding about the island and it is refreshing to be back on the bike. Even for such a short distance it is great to haul your own stuff home everyday.

Do any of you have a gecko? I am setting up a terrarium for a crested gecko and I was curious who had one and what their setup looked like. I am just waiting for my plants to grow and get established before I get one. It is a temperate (65-78°F) arboreal gecko so their habitat is a bit humid and filled with branches and plants. Very satisfying too look at I think. I think this may be my last pet for a while. We are out of places to put aquariums and habitats with the current four aquariums and the gecko habitat (in an aquarium); so if I was bring something else home it would get my wife mad at me. Though I would like a Maine Coon Cat.
Old 11-29-17, 04:32 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,465 Times in 1,433 Posts
I lost my job yesterday, so I won't be commuting for a while.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 11-29-17, 10:06 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
What! Out of the blue?
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 11-30-17, 06:34 AM
salcedo

Bikes: Specialized Allez, Trek CrossRip

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Sorry to hear that

Hope you find a better one soon
Old 11-30-17, 07:37 AM
mgw4jc

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, Trek 5000 TCT, Giant OCR

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 18 Posts
Wow @noglider! Sorry to hear that. I hope something comes up quickly for you.

We hit 70F yesterday. It was cooling off by 5pm, but still warm out. However, I found a MUP that was quite chilly. A lot of the paths around here follow creek beds and they can be a good 10 degrees colder sometimes.

A nice 15 miles this morning, except for passing the skunk roadkill now there for day 2.
Old 11-30-17, 08:02 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by rhm

Then my rear tire went flat. I was about a mile from the station, and my train would be there in five minutes or less, so I knew I'd miss that one. Patched my tube by a street light. I didn't find the cause, was pleased to get the tire back on without seating troubles, pumped it up and rode away.
Sure enough, having missed the 5:13 express, I caught the 5:30 local instead.
I'm pretty sure I did not get that tire on without seating troubles; probably had the tube pinched under the bead somewhere, even though the inflated tire did not have any dips or bulges. But it went flat again on my ride to the station this morning. Pumped up and rode, pumped up and rode, pumped up and rode, pumped up and... oh, crap, the valve has got unscrewed. Walked the last couple hundred yards. I'll replace the tube when I get back to the station this afternoon.

@noglider, sorry to hear that! Good luck with the job search!
Old 11-30-17, 08:58 AM
jrickards

Bikes: 2012 Kona Sutra, 2002 Look AL 384, 2018 Moose Fat bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Another comfortably cool morning, -2C/28F, and I beat the snowfall which is coming down now, 3hrs later. However, it is supposed to creep above freezing this afternoon.
Old 11-30-17, 09:23 AM
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back

Bikes: '81 Panasonic Sport, '02 Giant Boulder SE, '08 Felt S32, '10 Diamondback Insight RS, '10 Windsor Clockwork, '15 Kestrel Evoke 3.0, '19 Salsa Mukluk

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 115 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
Oh man, that sucks. Sorry to hear about that.

Hope you find something quickly, and something better.
Old 11-30-17, 10:25 AM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
Argh, sorry to hear.
Old 11-30-17, 10:27 AM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
40F, raining
Old 11-30-17, 10:38 AM
pdlamb

Clouds moved in last night, so the temperature was 20F warmer this morning -- nice day for a ride! (At least as wrong as the weatherman's 60% chance of rain stays 40% dry!)

@noglider, hope you find a good job with a good commute soon.
Old 11-30-17, 11:07 AM
joeyduck

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
@noglider Such crummy news.

I I hope everyone is having a good day otherwise.
Old 11-30-17, 11:08 AM
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

Bikes: --2010 Jamis 650b1-- 2016 Cervelo R2-- 2018 Salsa Journeyman 650B

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by HardyWeinberg
My 7th grader w/ 2 panniers full of props for a school skit and canned goods for a food drive
that is a great picture! So awesome to see kids on bikes!

@noglider sorry to hear that.. I hope you find something soon.

Originally Posted by mgw4jc
Wow @noglider! Sorry to hear that. I hope something comes up quickly for you.
We hit 70F yesterday. It was cooling off by 5pm, but still warm out. However, I found a MUP that was quite chilly. A lot of the paths around here follow creek beds and they can be a good 10 degrees colder sometimes. A nice 15 miles this morning, except for passing the skunk roadkill now there for day 2.
@mgw4jc I hear you last night we did a ride looking at Christmas lights and collecting toys for tots and in town is was pretty comfortable but as we got out of town and near the greenway it dropped temps fast. It was cold.

It was still good to be on the bike. Got my cassette replaced and bike shifted and rode great.

Yesterday was the first ride since my cold settled in (since last week). Driving for the past few days made me say "I am riding tomorrow I can not take the traffic." The city has started multiple road construction projects and traffic has been a mess the past few days and doesn't look like it will get better.

A friend of mine got hit or hit a car Monday and I have driven the past few days(3) to help my cold heal but also to make sure my wife is not freaked out. he seems to be okay but he is banged and bruised up.
Old 11-30-17, 07:49 PM
locolobo13 

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 2,643 Times in 950 Posts
Interesting ride home. At the first light a motorcycle decided to pass the line of cars by riding up the bike lane and turning right. He got there within a second of when it turned green. I was just getting ready to start myself. Fortunately I heard him. He passed in front of me.

4 or 5 miles further I saw a kid, 14 or 15, riding his bike on the rims. Recall doing that myself as a youngster. Sure messes up the rims.

Another mile or so 2 young ladies with horses. One leading hers the other riding. They were in the yards next to the bike lane. I got into the lane so as not to spook their horses. Apparently unnecessarily. The horses didn't seem skittish as I passed.
Old 11-30-17, 11:09 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
Between the two babies and the preschooler, one is usually my alarm clock. But the girl woke up before 5 and went back to sleep, and no one else got up til 7! So I drove today. But on the drive I saw a sweet steel frame dirt jumper on the front rack of a city bus and thought it was a funny combination
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 12-01-17, 01:25 AM
CesarGartrell

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Unfortunately, my morning commute didn't went well. It was a one rainy day and my bike got stuck in a hole, I got a minor injury from that incident. Let's always stay safe in our bike everyone.
Old 12-01-17, 07:39 AM
mgw4jc

Happy First of December! One more month to bump up your mileage for the year. I need about 430 more to hit 6,000 for the year.

A nice morning at just over 40F. I was dressed a little too warmly was unzipping a bit in the last few miles. Here's a sunrise picture taken while riding and looking somewhat behind me.
Old 12-01-17, 09:52 AM
pdlamb

So close!

If I'd left work three minutes sooner last night, I'd have beat the rain. Nevertheless, I finished the month with 500 miles under my wheels -- my best November in years. I'll pay, of course, since the leaves (and pecans) have just started to fall, so weekend rides will be scarce for a few weeks.

Nothing significant to report this morning. It felt colder than the thermometer said because it was so damp.
Old 12-01-17, 10:30 AM
Phamilton
Virgo

Bikes: A touring bike and a hybrid

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 69 Posts
Started commuting 9/4, so this week marks week 12 and makes for roughly 1500 miles - woot! Got my first flat this morning, though, about halfway to work. I used to have a nice frame pump and patch kit but my children played with them and lost them months ago. Fortunately someone from work was able to come pick me up with one of our delivery vans and I also arranged a ride home. Guess I'll be replacing the frame pump and patches this weekend. Also now wondering if 25s are maybe a little skinny for my 13 mile one way ride to work on rough shoulders/back roads/chip and seal/etc. I couldn't find any obvious puncture so I may have pinch flatted. Occurred to me right after I realized it was going flat that I hadn't checked my pressures in probably 2 weeks. Might have room for 32s under my fenders, but wonder if anyone has used 28s on a commute similar to mine. Beautiful morning, though, sunny and just below freezing, calm wind, light fog. I actually really enjoyed my walk waiting for my ride to come get me, had a chance to eat my breakfast and drink my coffee and listen to some tunes.
Old 12-01-17, 10:46 AM
salcedo

Bikes: Specialized Allez, Trek CrossRip

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Phamilton
Started commuting 9/4, so this week marks week 12 and makes for roughly 1500 miles - woot! Got my first flat this morning, though, about halfway to work. I used to have a nice frame pump and patch kit but my children played with them and lost them months ago. Fortunately someone from work was able to come pick me up with one of our delivery vans and I also arranged a ride home. Guess I'll be replacing the frame pump and patches this weekend. Also now wondering if 25s are maybe a little skinny for my 13 mile one way ride to work on rough shoulders/back roads/chip and seal/etc. I couldn't find any obvious puncture so I may have pinch flatted. Occurred to me right after I realized it was going flat that I hadn't checked my pressures in probably 2 weeks. Might have room for 32s under my fenders, but wonder if anyone has used 28s on a commute similar to mine. Beautiful morning, though, sunny and just below freezing, calm wind, light fog. I actually really enjoyed my walk waiting for my ride to come get me, had a chance to eat my breakfast and drink my coffee and listen to some tunes.
I guess the size does matter, but it is not the only thing.

I try to check the air every 2 or 3 days. Some people check daily.

Also, if you are replacing your tires you could try to get puncture resistant ones like Specialized Armadillos or Continental Gatorskins
Old 12-01-17, 12:42 PM
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back

Bikes: '81 Panasonic Sport, '02 Giant Boulder SE, '08 Felt S32, '10 Diamondback Insight RS, '10 Windsor Clockwork, '15 Kestrel Evoke 3.0, '19 Salsa Mukluk

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 115 Posts
... Also now wondering if 25s are maybe a little skinny for my 13 mile one way ride to work on rough shoulders/back roads/chip and seal/etc. I couldn't find any obvious puncture so I may have pinch flatted. Occurred to me right after I realized it was going flat that I hadn't checked my pressures in probably 2 weeks. Might have room for 32s under my fenders, but wonder if anyone has used 28s on a commute similar to mine. ....
I frequently commute on my road bike which has 23s. My commute varies, but I'll often ride 20-30 or more miles per day. I prefer the road bike on the longer commute days if the weather cooperates.

I've had this particular bike for 2.5 years and have had only one flat during that time. While smaller tires may be slightly more susceptible to punctures, I don't think your tires are too skinny for your commute. I'm guessing your puncture was due to a pinch flat or some other factor than sheer tire size.
Old 12-01-17, 02:31 PM
mgw4jc

Also now wondering if 25s are maybe a little skinny for my 13 mile one way ride to work on rough shoulders/back roads/chip and seal/etc. I couldn't find any obvious puncture so I may have pinch flatted. Occurred to me right after I realized it was going flat that I hadn't checked my pressures in probably 2 weeks. Might have room for 32s under my fenders, but wonder if anyone has used 28s on a commute similar to mine.
I use 25s on a 13ish mile commute. My surfaces maybe better though as I'm on pretty clean asphalt for the most part. I second @salcedo's comment on puncture resistant tires. I do a squeeze check every few days and try to keep them between 90-100psi.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.