Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

where is the best place and worst place to bike

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

where is the best place and worst place to bike

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-19, 09:47 PM
Doctor Morbius
Interocitor Command

Bikes: 3 Road Bikes, 2 Hybrids

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 40 Posts
I don't know where the best place is, but I'm pretty certain the worst place is Uranus!

Old 01-07-19, 09:53 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Worst place is either in a minefield or on the surface of the sun.
I'd never ride past Venus, it's a bad neighborhood.

While I don't know about the best, I would recommend against quicksand.
Old 01-07-19, 09:56 PM
OmegaWolf
on your lawn

Bikes: 1995 Trek 370, 1997 Trek 800 Sport, 2013 Specialized Crossroads Elite, 2016 Trek Emonda ALR5, 1991 Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
Best Place:

That's rather spectacular. Where is it?
Old 01-08-19, 01:38 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by OmegaWolf
That's rather spectacular. Where is it?
Hwy 11 between Nordegg and Saskatchewan River Crossing in Alberta.

More here:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/machka...7619203595712/
Old 01-08-19, 02:01 AM
devianb

Bikes: 2008 Dawes Haymaker 20XX Leader LD515 TotoCycling Road Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts
Id kill for some mountains since I am a climber. Here in Central Illinois its all flat with nothing to see but farmland until you reach some rivers where the terrain finally gets interesting.
Old 01-08-19, 04:07 AM
avole
Banned.

Bikes: Brompton, Time, Bianchi, Jan Janssen, Peugeot

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I like the challenge of Bangkok, Though it helps being partly crazy. . Best place? Why would anyone say?

Then again..haze.

Last edited by avole; 01-08-19 at 04:27 AM.
Old 01-08-19, 05:37 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by bbbean
By all means, lets make broad sweeping generalizations based on one anonymous internet post.
This.
About the same mentality as ‘I love lamp’
Old 01-08-19, 05:50 AM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
If you can kick a football without hitting metal there may be a job opening for you.
Old 01-08-19, 06:14 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18403 Post(s)
Liked 15,495 Times in 7,317 Posts
Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg
His night didn't get any better.

Old 01-08-19, 07:39 AM
Hoopdriver
On Holiday

Bikes: A bunch of old steel bikes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by windhchaser
the worst for me is the south usa. and the best is up north..down here ive been hit by cars people throw stuff at me swerved into me to scare me
Can you be a bit more specific about your particular issue?
Old 01-08-19, 09:12 AM
windhchaser
Banned.

Bikes: Felt nine flow

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 662 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Hoopdriver
Can you be a bit more specific about your particular issue?
they hate bikes here they claim it is there road no i i mean no one rides a bike here any more i tried again and gave up
Old 01-08-19, 12:03 PM
Hoopdriver
On Holiday

Bikes: A bunch of old steel bikes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
they hate bikes here they claim it is there road no i i mean no one rides a bike here any more i tried again and gave up
I've lived in the US southeast for most of my life and have ridden tens of thousands of miles in many of the states. Other than a few infrequent encounters with societal misfits, my cycling experience has been positive.

Perhaps you attract haters. In that case, it's probably good that you gave up cycling.
Old 01-08-19, 12:18 PM
deephate

Bikes: COLNAGO! Litespeed, Motobecane, Peugeot, Gitane, Fuji, Nishiki, Centurion, Panasonic, Giant, Trek, Cannondale, Raleigh, Bianchi, Winsor

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by jefnvk
Best: someplace that leads to a great brewery.
Worst: someplace that leads to a teatolling dry county, I guess...
Where is the “like” button around here? I agree that Iowa is a good place. Maybe not so much in the dead of winter though...
Old 01-08-19, 12:20 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,171 Times in 1,462 Posts
Originally Posted by jefnvk
Best: someplace that leads to a great brewery.
Worst: someplace that leads to a teatolling dry county, I guess...
A group I ride with did a tour through the Blue Ridge. We booked a hotel in Kentucky where the person on the phone raved about the bar next door. It turned out to be a dairy bar in a dry county.
Old 01-08-19, 04:13 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2427 Post(s)
Liked 1,403 Times in 898 Posts
I think a lot of is is your frame of mind and how you choose to handle situations that you come across.

I once tried to ride down Heavenly on my mtb. That didn't go so well and I ended up, well.. Lets just say I had three broken ribs within the first 45 mins.

I then tried to ride my road bike around Lake Tahoe. I came so close to being hit that I ended being nervous the whole time because I felt so unsafe due to cars buzzing me constantly. I called for transport back, my nerves were so shot.

But I look back on it and still say those were the most memorable experiences ever. Because I survived. So to me, that's a very positive thing.
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Old 01-10-19, 04:37 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Best place to ride: anywhere it's downhill all the way.
Worst place to ride: anywhere it's uphill all the way.
Old 01-10-19, 05:14 PM
bikenub4

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
the worst for me is the south usa. and the best is up north..down here ive been hit by cars people throw stuff at me swerved into me to scare me
probably some young thugs. I'd say the best place I've ridden is Amsterdam or Germany. Especially Munich.
Old 01-10-19, 05:47 PM
ddub

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
calm down Francis
I have nothing to add but that was a great reply. ROFL
Old 01-11-19, 03:29 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
This was very nice ...

Old 01-11-19, 05:05 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by Wilmingtech
Florida (central) was the worst as far as roads/traffic. Flat, humid, crazy lost tourists.

New England is beautiful but those small rolling hill back roads can be super dangerous. Small streets in a lot of the older towns.

Where I live now in the mountains of the PNW, its amazeballs. Every corner is like whaaa?? And there are all kinds of roads and paths and trails for miles. Can be dangerous on some roads but most are wide enough and there is almost no traffic unless its a holiday .

Both Florida and the south should be some of the best locations to ride for obvious reason. To bad the locals (which in fact are largely displaced from other states and countries) don't respect cyclist.

And to add to that, the states lackadaisical view when it comes to enforcing the safety laws (not even cops recognize the 3 ft law) and prosecution motorist who violate them.

Motorist can literally run down a cyclist, say they didn't see him, and get home in time for dinner none the worse for wear. Its just frightening how trivial a cyclist life is in many of these southern state.

Of course the infrastructure, or lack there of, most certainly plays a large part is cycling safety too.
Old 01-11-19, 07:09 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
calm down Francis
Lol

In regards to near Atlanta, I don't like to ride on the roads any more. There was a time during my youth and immortal years that the incidents that happened almost every ride didn't bother me. As I have gotten older, and the prevalence for people distracted by cell phones, kids, etc. has gotten worse, not better, I have taken to trail systems or neighborhoods exclusively.

Given your location way up North Atlanta, some of this may or may not work for you.

The Silver Comet is a good out and back ride. I highly suggest going during work hours, like I would also suggest for the Eastside Beltline in Atlanta. Those are both interesting rides for 'every now and again'. The biggest issue, to me, about the Comet is the out and back aspect. I have never been a fan of doing "lollipop" rides, I prefer loops. The Beltline being that it's just short. Piedmont Park in itself offers some nice ability to take a different route around. The Stone Mountain trail can be accessed via that side as well, but keep in mind there is a section right near Fernbank that they throw you out on the road at about the worst place they could. Out at Stone Mountain proper are some good paths, if a bit hilly in places. The Westside Beltline is always underutilized. I would suggest keeping an open eye. Some of that area is truly less than safe.

In particular, a lot of the above mentioned are awesome because of all the "see and do" available off of them all.

Arabia/Panola/South River Trail network is a great ride. It's really long, some parts of it challenging. There are a couple of miles of areas that, like the Westside Belt, it's best to keep your wits about you. Overall though a tremendous ride with unreal scenery.

Peachtree City, near where I live, has an exceptional system of cart paths that total over 90 miles all in. They go pretty much everywhere within the central part of town. Lots of places to stop and see, sit, eat, etc. Highly recommended.

There is a really good trail system down in Columbus.

Among my favorites, low mileage notwithstanding are the trail system down at Callaway Gardens. It's a little hilly in places, but so beautiful it's easy to forget. In the summer there are loads of things to stop and do. The wife and I purchased a membership to take greater advantage of that this upcoming year.

There are loads of smaller trail systems to ride as well. I suggest taking a look at the PATH website and you will find others close to you. Some of them are so short as to hardly be worthwhile to "load up" for IMO.

For other locales, my faves have been near Tampa at an area called Terra Ceia as well at Longboat Key off Sarasota, and in Maine in the Androscoggin River Valley area. Did some wonderful rides near Chevy Chase Kentucky as well.

My least favorite was up in Michigan, near Detroit. The roads were absolutely horrid, although there was a really good trail system near where we were.

Last edited by Juan Foote; 01-11-19 at 07:14 AM.
Old 01-11-19, 08:36 AM
kayakindude

Bikes: 1987 Cannondale SR600/BioPace, 1991 Cannondale Road Tandem,1994 Giant Iguana MB, 2009 Airnimal Chameleon, 2016 Dahon Vybe C7A

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 63 Posts
Over the past 2 years thanks to my 2 folding bikes I have enjoyed exploring in and around the following cities/areas, ranked 1 through 10:
9- Newport, VT, great paved and unpaved country roads little traffic and lots of hills, MUP into Canada.
9- Seattle WA, simply awesome oceanside rides with snow capped mountains (in May!), superb park and MUP systems. Plenty of hills to get your fix.
9- C&O towpath VA/WV, enjoyed this path and the country riding in and through Harpers Ferry and Antietam.
8-Miami FL, Busy multi-lane roads, but the oceanside riding and causeways are amazing
8-Columbus OH, Great neighborhood ridiing and nice MUP through OU.
8- St. Paul MN, commuted from Mall of America to St. Paul via MUP along rivers with lots of wildlife, barely needed to touch a road,
7- Los Angles CA, Griffin park and love the MUP along the beaches though congested, not a fan of road riding due to traffic.
7- Atlanta GA, enjoyed the Botanical park and Silver Comet/Stone Mountain MUPs, did not enjoy the roads to get there, decent hills though.
7- DC, here often, great hill workouts with some MUP to Great Falls, love the MUP to Mt. Vernon, busy in the city center but good bike lanes.
7- San Fransisco CA, loved the Golden Gate and parks, decent bike lanes, lots of people and traffic so have to ride with patience.
6- Houston TX, solid MUP system, most along the river nice, one not (smelly river near the hospital) so nice. Tough traffic.
6- Kansas City MO, mainly just commuted but found good bike lanes, a few hills, and reasonable traffic. Enjoyed racing around the old TWA airport.
5- Tampa FL, nice but short ride along the ocean with a bike lane, never got to go out to Clearwater which may have boosted the number.
3- Dallas TX, most anti-bike place I have ridden, got a flat in the 1st 10 minutes because the bike lanes were full of glass, got yelled at, only saving grace was riding around the lake.
2- Baltimore MD, Only time I ever felt unsafe on the roads and the MUP- had to turn around because of litter/debris, switched to jogging in the harbor.

These are my opinions based on where I rode, there are likely other paths roads I did not get to ride on that would have adjusted my number. Did not include RI and SE Mass because that is home and I would be biased

Last edited by kayakindude; 01-11-19 at 08:41 AM.
Old 01-12-19, 12:55 PM
The_Joe

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 25 Posts
Manhattan is easily the worst place I've ever ridden. Victoria, BC is one of the best places I've ever ridden. Fairly flat and open.
Old 01-12-19, 01:03 PM
RollingBuffalo

Bikes: '13 Schwinn Solitaire, 84' Miyata 310, '82 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Buffalo is becoming much more bike friendly.. The city has been adding more dedicated bike lanes in the streets, and this spring they are finally doing something with a large chunk of our waterfront that has been deserted for years.. They will be opening 6 or 7 different new bike paths/tracks/trails on our waterfront .. Exciting times up this way... We also have some nice hilly roads with little traffic just south of the city . And there are even mtn bike trails not far away either.
Old 01-12-19, 01:29 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Best: Among places I've lived and done a lot of riding, western Wisconsin is among the best. On the Wisconsin side, there are miles of paved, low-traffic roads, and on the Minnesota side and into Iowa, miles of gravel. There are plenty of steep hills for climbers, fast twisty descents, and some flat stretches in valleys. Commuting is fine, too, as there are enough side streets and connector paths to get around.

I don't MTB or trail ride, but there's decent MTB trails and flat gravel trails as well. In the winter, you can fatbike, or throw on studs and hug the road shoulders.

Worst: Among places I've lived, let's talk about Mobile, AL. I tried to commute there. My issues: narrow streets, no infrastructure, intersections that were dangerous for all road users, heat, packs of feral dogs, random aggressive loose dogs. Road riding was okay, but still hot with no infrastructure and no hills other than bridges!

Southern California and the Denver area were promising, though seemed to be a bit of a hike through traffic to get into good road cycling.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.