Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

My neighbor's Serotta broke yesterday

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-19, 07:42 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts

I have no pics to show. He was out riding his steel-frame Serotta when the drive-side dropout snapped where the adjustment screws goes through. Some of you have met him on C&V rides we have done. Fortunately he was not hurt but the bike didn't come out too well. The RD caught the spokes, snapped one, pulled another spoke out of the nipple, bent the RD cage. The cage can probably be bent back into shape. The wheel will take some fixin' but it's doable. I suggested he take the frame to Peter Mooney who is only about a mile and a half away.

In the meantime, he needs a bike. I lent him my Grandis. He is about my size. He did a test ride around the block(s) and said it felt just like his Super Course. (What? You gotta' be kidding, Larry. The Grandis is a twitchy hard-riding go kart! Well, maybe his Serotta was too so it feels normal.) He'll swap in his pedals, remove the front bag.

We spent some time after that drinkin' some really good beer. He provided the beer.
Likes For jimmuller:
Old 08-10-19, 07:58 PM
artclone

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Suberbe, '92 (German) Centurion Equipe, '85 Schwinn Peloton, 1983ish Zunow Road Racer project, '69 Squanch Super Tourer, 1980 Bianchi Super Corsa, '82 Austro-Daimler Vent Noir, '89 Miyata 914 project, 1982ish Bianchi Rallye

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Scary. You are a good friend.

That's an odd break - - any chance the derailleur got caught in the spokes before the DO cracked?
Likes For artclone:
Old 08-10-19, 08:54 PM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1363 Post(s)
Liked 2,178 Times in 1,182 Posts
Jim,
Sorry to hear about that but glad he is alright and still riding...a break there is not that uncommon, probably the weakest point on the drop due to the stress and lack of material due to the hole drilled for the adjustment screw.
Best, Ben

Voice recognition may sometimes create odd spelling and grammatical errors

Likes For xiaoman1:
Old 08-10-19, 08:59 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Originally Posted by artclone
Scary. You are a good friend.

That's an odd break - - any chance the derailleur got caught in the spokes before the DO cracked?
We've been good friends and neighbors for a long time. We have keys to each other's houses.

It's possible the RD caught the wheel and that's what broke the DO. Doesn't really matter at this point. It's busted and needs fixin'.
Old 08-10-19, 09:05 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4790 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
What year is your friend's Serotta? (Serotta and Peter Mooney go a long ways back.) If my Mooney broke its dropout, well, sad but I'd just have to get it or them replaced. (If it has go go, go soon, before the soon-to-be new paint.)

Ben
Old 08-10-19, 09:07 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts
Man, really sorry to hear that! Glad he was ok, though. Glad also for your friendship. Break a nice frame, break some other parts, know there will be some money involved in making it whole again, know that it's doable without too much trouble, and finish the start of that endeavor with some good beer. That's the best way to end the day after something like that happens, IMO.
Old 08-11-19, 06:40 AM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3803 Post(s)
Liked 6,639 Times in 2,602 Posts
Wait, I thought it’s just CF frames that are just waiting to break and are unsafe to ride at any speed.
Old 08-11-19, 06:42 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner
Wait, I thought it’s just CF frames that are just waiting to break and are unsafe to ride at any speed.
Since this is the 2nd steel frame to break in a week here on BF, I suspect a conspiracy.
Likes For RobbieTunes:
Old 08-13-19, 09:12 PM
retrofit

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
Since this is the 2nd steel frame to break in a week here on BF, I suspect a conspiracy.
Steel is no longer real!!!
The end is near!
Old 08-13-19, 09:54 PM
Kent T

Bikes: 2002 Trek 800 Singletrack, 1982 Bridgestone Spica

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmuller
I have no pics to show. He was out riding his steel-frame Serotta when the drive-side dropout snapped where the adjustment screws goes through. Some of you have met him on C&V rides we have done. Fortunately he was not hurt but the bike didn't come out too well. The RD caught the spokes, snapped one, pulled another spoke out of the nipple, bent the RD cage. The cage can probably be bent back into shape. The wheel will take some fixin' but it's doable. I suggested he take the frame to Peter Mooney who is only about a mile and a half away.

In the meantime, he needs a bike. I lent him my Grandis. He is about my size. He did a test ride around the block(s) and said it felt just like his Super Course. (What? You gotta' be kidding, Larry. The Grandis is a twitchy hard-riding go kart! Well, maybe his Serotta was too so it feels normal.) He'll swap in his pedals, remove the front bag.

We spent some time after that drinkin' some really good beer. He provided the beer.
You're a top notch C&V cyclist, and the best friend a C&V cyclist can be to a fellow enthusiast with a sick Serotta. You kept a friend riding when frustrated. And were a gentleman at his best. We should all emulate you. Like x 10,000.
Old 08-14-19, 01:24 AM
Lascauxcaveman 

Bikes: A green one, "Ragleigh," or something.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 630 Times in 356 Posts
Funny, I keep thinking I'm going to break my Grandis, what with all the mishaps, crashes and abuse I've heaped on it. And how inappropriately flexy it is under my modest 200 weight

I guess I need to get a Serotta, and really eff it up
● 1971 Grandis SL ● 1972 Lambert Grand Prix frankenbike ● 1972 Raleigh Super Course fixie ● 1973 Nishiki Semi-Pro ● 1979 Motobecane Grand Jubile ●1980 Apollo "Legnano" ● 1984 Peugeot Vagabond ● 1985 Shogun Prairie Breaker ● 1986 Merckx Super Corsa ● 1987 Schwinn Tempo ● 1988 Schwinn Voyageur ● 1989 Bottechia Team ADR replica ● 1990 Cannondale ST600 ● 1993 Technium RT600 ● 1996 Kona Lava Dome ●

Old 08-14-19, 03:05 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
Originally Posted by Lascauxcaveman
I guess I need to get a Serotta, and really eff it up

Go big or stay home.
Old 08-14-19, 04:19 AM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Originally Posted by Kent T
You're a top notch C&V cyclist, and the best friend a C&V cyclist can be to a fellow enthusiast with a sick Serotta. You kept a friend riding when frustrated. And were a gentleman at his best. We should all emulate you. Like x 10,000.
Thank you for the kind words. Larry would do the same for me, and anyway, I have other bikes to ride. Better he rides it than that it stays in the basement.

Originally Posted by Lascauxcaveman
Funny, I keep thinking I'm going to break my Grandis, what with all the mishaps, crashes and abuse I've heaped on it. And how inappropriately flexy it is under my modest 200 weight
Hmm, mine isn't flexy at all. It is the stiffest and hard-riding-est bike in my modest collection. But then, I'm only 160lbs.

Larry goes out riding on workday mornings before starting his workday. I saw him yesterday. He raved about how it felt. "Real sweet!" were his words. I guess his Serotta rode about the same.
Old 08-14-19, 08:13 AM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 664 Posts
High end racing bicycles are all about saving grams and in the process, paring down the safety margin. If some of these bikes didn't break once in a while, they were over built. We are not talking about a Schwinn of years ago with a lifetime warranty. It is a hand built racing bike made to be marginally better, lighter and faster than production bikes. Whether it is carbon fiber or steel, the builder are still trying to stretch the limits.

I know that is a weird way to think about it but it is true.

I'm I am glad you friend is Ok after the incident. I had a Serotta. I know if this happened to me, hearing that it is made to be light and all would still be tough because my beloved Serotta is damaged and unrideable. It can be fixed though.
Old 08-14-19, 12:08 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,811 Times in 1,535 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmuller

anything that ends with no injuries (except the bike) and really good beer it not all bad

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 08-14-19, 02:22 PM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
but. but. but...
Old 08-14-19, 04:06 PM
Feldman

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 51 Posts
PM me if you live in or near the Portland OR/Vancouver, WA area; I have replaced @80-120 dropouts over the last bunch of years and have a good stock of them as well as the skill to do the job. If you want to have the job done by a former Serotta builder, I hear Dave Kirk (Montana, I think) does some repairs.
Old 08-14-19, 04:28 PM
rando_couche

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 110 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Mule
High end racing bicycles are all about saving grams and in the process, paring down the safety margin. If some of these bikes didn't break once in a while, they were over built. We are not talking about a Schwinn of years ago with a lifetime warranty. It is a hand built racing bike made to be marginally better, lighter and faster than production bikes. Whether it is carbon fiber or steel, the builder are still trying to stretch the limits.

I know that is a weird way to think about it but it is true.

I'm I am glad you friend is Ok after the incident. I had a Serotta. I know if this happened to me, hearing that it is made to be light and all would still be tough because my beloved Serotta is damaged and unrideable. It can be fixed though.
If it breaks, it's too light. If it doesn't break, it's too heavy.

SP
Nwpt, OR
Old 08-14-19, 06:45 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Originally Posted by Feldman
PM me if you live in or near the Portland OR/Vancouver, WA area; I have replaced @80-120 dropouts over the last bunch of years and have a good stock of them as well as the skill to do the job. If you want to have the job done by a former Serotta builder, I hear Dave Kirk (Montana, I think) does some repairs.
Thanks for that, but we live at the other end of US Rt 20.
Old 09-03-19, 08:41 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Larry got his bike back from Peter Mooney. New dropout. He is happy.

And he gave me back my Grandis.
Likes For jimmuller:
Old 09-04-19, 02:43 AM
Millstone

Bikes: Might as well, now that I am here...

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 66 Posts
Pics or it didnt happen!
Old 09-04-19, 06:10 AM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 829 Post(s)
Liked 1,241 Times in 655 Posts
Pretty quick turn around on a repair like that. Peter Mooney is among the best.

Now, important ! Brian Baylis, who had seen a few steel bikes, said the #1 cause of frames failing at the dropout was mis-alignment and / or rear dropouts that are spread apart to accommodate w ider axles without re-alignment.

Since he has a newly repaired bike, he should adjust / cold set the DO width to match his rear wheel and then align the DO faces. Easy to do.

Mark Petry
Bainbridge Island, WA USA

Likes For mpetry912: