Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Cycling Etiquette Is Dead

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Cycling Etiquette Is Dead

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-16, 03:51 PM
JetBadger

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hatrack71
I don't think I'm better than anybody. You are not understanding. These are the types of personalities that gravitate towards atheism...seemingly in my experience with the few I've met. Their whole precipice is there is NOT a power greater than themselves. Do you get that?
I am sorry, I could not help but joke about the irony in your statement. I have no interest in getting into a detailed discussion with you about your generalization of of atheists.

I will however help you change a flat if we ever cross paths, and I assume you would do the same. Hammer on!
Old 03-11-16, 03:51 PM
Ratzinger
Buddy

Bikes: 80s Gardin. Green fixed-gear. POS mountain bike.

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not to sound too cheesy, but I'm incredible impressed by so many young people today. I do have hope for the future, as much as it's possible in this messy world. By so many objective measures, life is so much better than it used to be for so many people, including a huge reduction in crime in North America in the past few decades. If I were cheeky I'd attribute that into the decline of religious belief, but that makes as much sense as attributing a subjective perceived decline in moral values to the decline of religious belief.
Old 03-11-16, 03:52 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I am in my 40s as well but I think society in general has become more altruistic and egalitarian. In my experience, the young people I meet (not just cyclists) are far more engaged and outwardly focused. Certainly more than my own generation (Gen X) and the Boomers. Of course, this perspective is all based on the people you surround yourself with.
Old 03-11-16, 04:00 PM
hatrack71
bentrider

Bikes: Trek R200, Bike Friday NWT, Radius Hornet 2, Cruzbike Sofrider, Vision R-40 BF/ R-42, Actionbent Litespeed/ Jetstream, Bacchetta Giro (20 and 26), Tern Verge P9, Ryan Vanguard, Burley Limbo, Rans Stratus/ Wave/ V-Rex, Dahon Helios, others...

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JetBadger
I am sorry, I could not help but joke about the irony in your statement. I have no interest in getting into a detailed discussion with you about your generalization of of atheists.

I will however help you change a flat if we ever cross paths, and I assume you would do the same. Hammer on!

Of course I would.
Old 03-11-16, 04:02 PM
hatrack71
bentrider

Bikes: Trek R200, Bike Friday NWT, Radius Hornet 2, Cruzbike Sofrider, Vision R-40 BF/ R-42, Actionbent Litespeed/ Jetstream, Bacchetta Giro (20 and 26), Tern Verge P9, Ryan Vanguard, Burley Limbo, Rans Stratus/ Wave/ V-Rex, Dahon Helios, others...

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ratzinger
By so many objective measures, life is so much better than it used to be for so many people, including a huge reduction in crime in North America in the past few decades. If I were cheeky I'd attribute that into the decline of religious belief, but that makes as much sense as attributing a subjective perceived decline in moral values to the decline of religious belief.
I would attribute it to the rise of the police state and vast improvements in technology/communications.
Old 03-11-16, 04:08 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
And some would attribute it to other causes.
Old 03-11-16, 04:40 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
Originally Posted by hatrack71
Yes. I knew a few atheists. They tend to think of themselves as God and are not very helpful or even attentive to others.. we are reflections of our faith. If you are God-less, it shows. I really can't explain it but I can tell just from meeting someone and speaking with them for a bit. I definitely know my Christian brothers and sisters.
Wow, you can be so prejudiced and still think you are a good person. That's amazing.

I mean obviously, if you knew three guys who you didn't like who happened not to be religious, then of course ... everyone who doesn't follow your faith is a dick, of course. Anyone who doesn't believe in what you call "god" is automatically bad while everyone who does, is good.

Of course, now, Jesus, he would hang with anyone, sinners, Jews, pagans, atheists ... he loved everyone. Not much of a contrast ... eh???

But then, of course, Jesus wasn't a Christian.

Adolf Hitler was.
Old 03-11-16, 04:52 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by hogger453
Yet, I don't wear undies and don't know what a wad is.
Said Caitlin.
Old 03-11-16, 04:54 PM
FLvector
Stand and Deliver

Bikes: Cannondale R1000, Giant TCR Advanced, Giant TCR Advanced SL

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Cycling Etiquette isn't dead, but this thread is. ****
Old 03-11-16, 05:14 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11969 Post(s)
Liked 6,646 Times in 3,483 Posts
How come I don't see more of you guys in the P&R forum? You can talk about religion and politics all you want in there.