Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling
Reload this Page >

Question about documentary - Inspired to Ride. Riding on the wrong side of the road?

Search
Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

Question about documentary - Inspired to Ride. Riding on the wrong side of the road?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-16, 01:34 PM
Bat56

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

I watched this documentary on Netflix. There were many shots of riders riding on the wrong side of the road. At first I thought it was just one guy and supposed that perhaps that's how he rolls. But then another riding did it and it occurred to me that it might be at the request of the filmmaker; like "ride on that side so we get the shot."

Anyone have thoughts on this? Namely, is there something about these ultra riders that puts them on the wrong side of the road?
Old 04-17-16, 05:30 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
What country was the documentary set in?
Old 04-17-16, 05:55 PM
gqstud79

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I watched this documentary last night and noticed the same thing. I have no idea why they were on the wrong side of the road.
Old 04-17-16, 05:57 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,698 Times in 2,518 Posts
I guess you have to be insane to do that ride, so riding on the wrong side of the road fits right in.

I was wondering the same thing, but I can't imagine the filmmakers asking someone to do something illegal like that just for a shot. I suspect it was just one person's wrong-headed "safety" fetish.
I didn't see more than one person doing it, and it was on a road with a wide shoulder. So other than intersections, it wouldn't really be a problem.
Old 04-18-16, 12:19 AM
Chris_W
Likes to Ride Far

Bikes: road+, gravel, commuter/tourer, tandem, e-cargo, folder

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
I also noticed this and assumed that they had decided to flip the image during editing for some reason, but it did seem bizarre.
Old 04-18-16, 05:04 AM
guidoStow

Bikes: SOMA Double Cross w/ BlackSheep Ti Fork, SOMA Grand Randonneur

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've seen the film a couple of times and the scene doesn't stand out for me. Multiple instances of folks riding 2 abreast though... Perhaps it was a shot of the winner, being british he night have had a lapse while tired...
Old 04-18-16, 09:33 AM
InspiredToRide

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A few shots were actually flipped during the editing process. The decision was made to keep the riding action consistent - riding right to left down the mountain. Having a shot all of a sudden seeing the rider going theft to right, as an editor, was more jarring than seeing the rider 'appear' to be on the wrong side of the road. Plus it makes for a nice way to have people talk about the film in forums like this
-Mike Dion
Old 04-18-16, 02:23 PM
thebulls

Bikes: SOMA Grand Randonneur, Gunnar Sport converted to 650B, Rivendell Rambouillet, '82 Trek 728, '84 Trek 610, '85 Trek 500, C'Dale F600, Burley Duet, Lotus Legend

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by InspiredToRide
A few shots were actually flipped during the editing process. The decision was made to keep the riding action consistent - riding right to left down the mountain. Having a shot all of a sudden seeing the rider going theft to right, as an editor, was more jarring than seeing the rider 'appear' to be on the wrong side of the road. Plus it makes for a nice way to have people talk about the film in forums like this
-Mike Dion
Watching the movie, I found it jarring to see people riding on the wrong side of the road. Made the riders seem kind of nuts and seemed like it sets a bad example for all the kids who'll see this. I figured it was the filmmakers having the riders on the wrong side to make it easier to get the shot. Never occurred to me that it was post-processing. If it were me, I'd go for just having riders going in different directions rather than have them ride on the wrong side of the road.

Otherwise, I enjoyed the movie! Have to admit, it doesn't make me want to do this race, I'd much rather be randonneuring and enjoy the company of my fellow riders, rather than spend three weeks trying to drop them.

Nick
Old 04-18-16, 06:50 PM
guidoStow

Bikes: SOMA Double Cross w/ BlackSheep Ti Fork, SOMA Grand Randonneur

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mike -- thanks for making both Inspired to Ride and Ride the Divide. They both are fantastic looks into the lives and motivations of the riders in both of these events. They really capture the spirit of the events. I look forward to your next project!

guido

Originally Posted by InspiredToRide
-Mike Dion
Old 04-18-16, 07:33 PM
InspiredToRide

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by guidoStow
Mike -- thanks for making both Inspired to Ride and Ride the Divide. They both are fantastic looks into the lives and motivations of the riders in both of these events. They really capture the spirit of the events. I look forward to your next project!

guido
Thanks Guido for the compliment on the films - most appreciated!!

The next project is still up in the air - No budgets have materialized as of yet.
I'm hoping to see something come together this year though.

Mike
Old 04-18-16, 07:35 PM
InspiredToRide

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by thebulls
Watching the movie, I found it jarring to see people riding on the wrong side of the road. Made the riders seem kind of nuts and seemed like it sets a bad example for all the kids who'll see this. I figured it was the filmmakers having the riders on the wrong side to make it easier to get the shot. Never occurred to me that it was post-processing. If it were me, I'd go for just having riders going in different directions rather than have them ride on the wrong side of the road.

Otherwise, I enjoyed the movie! Have to admit, it doesn't make me want to do this race, I'd much rather be randonneuring and enjoy the company of my fellow riders, rather than spend three weeks trying to drop them.

Nick
Thanks for the feedback, Nick.

Yes speeding through such beautiful country seems like a shame...
I'm reminded of a comment Mike Hall makes in the film about how someone asked him if he'd go back and do the round the world race slowly and enjoy it and Mike's reply was "If you enjoy racing, going slowly is necessarily more enjoyable."