Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

How many saddles did it take you to find "the one"?

Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Old 02-09-17, 08:22 AM
Panza
Keep calm, Cycle on

Bikes: Pinarello F8, Bianchi ∞, Colnago SS, Niner MTB

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've met people who have 6 of the same saddle for each of their bikes. They say it's the only saddle they'll ever use.

As I'm spending every day on the trainer over winter, I find myself meticulously dialing my bike fit by the millimeter. Seat post, rails, angles. I've tried prologo, fizik, and specialized models. I've had my sit bones measured to just over 130 cm and I've experimented with 140cm and 150cm seats.

What did you do to find "the one"?
Old 02-09-17, 08:24 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 1,236 Times in 617 Posts
47,000 miles for me.
Bought it from Craigslist

Had five bikes at the time.
Went to E Bay and found 4 more ,bought them.

Old 02-11-17, 08:44 AM
pakossa

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Well, I've tried 70 - 75 saddles over nearly 25 years of riding. Just switched -- yet again! -- to a fabric. For me, it seems a new saddle feels much better than the last one, but after "getting used to it," it doesn't feel so fine. (No, makes absolutely no sense to me either!) Guess I can't get it through my thick head that there's no such thing as a truly "comfortable" saddle. (BTW, bike fit being wrong can greatly affect comfort . . . think saddle too high and/or reach-to-bar too long is most likely to decrease comfort in saddle area.)
Old 02-15-17, 08:14 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3873 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
I had the best luck buying saddles 3 at a time from Performance and giving each a good long try. Some I rode centuries on. I usually sent them all back and ordered 3 more, but now knowing what was more likely to work. When I send or take a saddle back, I make sure it's in perfect condition. I wash and dry it and replace it in the original packaging, complete with new zip ties.

Over the years, I've probably used 25 or so saddles for long periods. Some, I took off because I didn't know enough to get the right saddle yet, some I took off because technology had improved, some I took off because my butt changed. I don't think there's one lifetime saddle.
Old 02-16-17, 07:21 PM
FeltF2Tarmac
Woman make me faster

Bikes: 2014 Felt F2 Di2 2018 Tarmac Comp Disc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Tried three different saddles and two of them I liked Fizik Kurve and Arione. I also tried a Specialized saddle can't remember the name. It was almost ok. I would like to try the Specialized Power but I am quite happy with Fizik.
Old 02-16-17, 10:40 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 4,489 Times in 3,338 Posts
Saddles are like shoes.

Just when I find one I like, they are discontinued.
Old 02-16-17, 11:06 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
Saddles are like shoes.

Just when I find one I like, they are discontinued.

That's like when I find jeans that fit right. If you find something you like buy an extra, then buy an extra on top of that! You will not end up regretting it.
Old 02-17-17, 12:20 PM
zymphad

Bikes: Super Cheap gc3 approved Bike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 561 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 28 Posts
I tried MASI stock, Prologo Zero, Fizik Arione, Specialized something....

I settled on Specialized Expert Power. I will probably buy another pair later this year. I did the sizing. I can't imagine another saddle to be better than Power. I pity the pros stuck on Fizik when they could be riding Specialized Power.
Old 02-17-17, 02:21 PM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 336 Posts
I've tried a lot of stuff, every major fizik model, prologo, specialized power, romin and toupe, fabric scoop, and others, no dice. Right now I'm using a performance forte sweep and it's the most ok, but even then I don't totally love it. I love riding and kind of put up with the saddle stuff, but it's been almost 4 years and I haven't settled on something I love.

Fortunately my wife booked me a bike fit for my bday, which includes the gebiomized scan and hopefully I can quit with this trial and error stuff which I'm clearly failing at doing and hopefully get closer to maximizing my comfort. I imagine I could even revisit models I've tried if it turns out they were just flat out set up incorrectly.
Old 02-23-17, 04:02 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Quoted: 7287 Post(s)
Liked 2,365 Times in 1,382 Posts
Originally Posted by linberl

That's like when I find jeans that fit right. If you find something you like buy an extra, then buy an extra on top of that! You will not end up regretting it.
I did that with jeans. Then I lost weight, and at the same time, loose-fitting clothes went out of style. They look ridiculous on me now.

I've been through a lot of saddles and am back on the same model I rode in 1976, the Brooks B17. It hasn't been discontinued, and it has changed a little over the years, but not much.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 03-01-17, 03:38 PM
Wheever

Bikes: 2015 Trek Domane 6 disk, 2016 Scott Big Jon Fat Bike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
I tried 8 or 10. Settled on an SMP Drakon. Amazing saddle for me. Also like the Selle Italia Max Gel or whatever it's called, and kept one for the hell of it. Tried a couple Fiziks, all of the Specialized saddles, a bunch of Bontragers.
Old 03-02-17, 12:18 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
I bought a Brooks team pro, in the middle of the 1970's, it was fine, so ..One.

on other similar bikes I got similar shapes like the SI Turbo, SM Rolls, etc.

Other postures, sitting up more , and different frames with different seat tube angles that makes seat post choices ,

set back, part of the calculations.

Last edited by fietsbob; 03-02-17 at 12:24 PM.
Old 03-02-17, 10:53 PM
bcpriess

Bikes: Masi Giramondo, Trek 830 monstercross build, Raleigh Gran Sport, Lemond Tourmalet

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 12 Posts
I have B17's on 3 of my bikes. After a short breakin period (a couple hundred miles or so), during which they aren't quite the right shape (but are still reasonably comfortable), they eventually fit perfectly and stay that way as long as you tension them occasionally. The only reason I started using them was that my Raleigh Gran Sport came with one and I liked it despite thinking I wouldn't and thinking that it was in terrible condition when it was still very functional and just needed tensioning. I've used about a dozen other saddles, not counting bikes I've test ridden with a range of other saddles, and nothing really compares to what on a Brooks essentially amounts to customized fit by way of riding. You don't really have to bother with measuring it for your sit bones since it will find them, and as long as you set the angle, tension, forward, and vertical positions correctly, you're pretty well set forever. One other benefit of the Brooks is that unlike a padded saddle, it seems like you can ride as far as you want without experiencing any saddle sores, since the saddle leather has a smooth finish and your clothing slides over rather than gripping it as it would on a soft rubberized or fabric covered model. Meaning you can go all day in street clothes if you want and not make any special preparations to avoid blisters/chafing.
Old 03-03-17, 09:31 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Another nice thing about a Brooks (or similar) saddle is that it lasts a long time if you take care of it. You get a good years-per-dollar value out of it.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 03-06-17, 12:03 AM
tangerineowl

Bikes: Curve Grovel v2 ti

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 73 Posts
Picked up a Toupe shortly after purchasing my road bike. Have remained with that since, as it works well for me.

Went on the bay for another used ti-rails Toupe for my gravel build.

Have read about the Romin being pretty good for hills, with its raised rear. I do find myself wanting a bit more support back there when the hills get crazy steep, like today's ride.
Old 03-06-17, 10:04 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Originally Posted by tangerineowl
Have read about the Romin being pretty good for hills, with its raised rear. I do find myself wanting a bit more support back there when the hills get crazy steep, like today's ride.
You sit on the saddle on steep hills?

Old 03-06-17, 02:17 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
One.

I'm still using the Brooks Professional saddle that came on my first Paramount that I purchased in 1975. It currently is on a similar 1972 Paramount. I use Brooks saddles on most of my bikes from the '70s. I have an Ideal saddle on my PX10.

I've been happy with Forte saddles from Performance Bike on my modern bikes. The 140mm width is ideal. The saddle is light, durable and value priced. It looks good on the three bikes that feature the saddle, but the black, white and red color scheme won't work unless the bike is black or red.

I have a few other vintage saddles, mostly Italian brands on my Colnago, De Rosa, Serotta and Merckx.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 03-06-17 at 02:27 PM.
Old 03-06-17, 07:02 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1764 Post(s)
Liked 1,121 Times in 744 Posts
Selle Italia Turbo and clones. Ive tried lots but got one of these a few years back on a C&V machine i had bought thinking i would quickly swap it for something lighter

Now all my machines except the MTB wear a Turbo. I keep an eye out for clean originals on ebay, but the repro's are a Godsend
Old 03-11-17, 12:11 AM
Hardrock23

Bikes: 1987 Schwinn Prelude

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
I started with the stock saddles on the bikes I had bought or used and noted what I liked and didn't like, so that helped to narrow my search of what saddles I would try.

My list was basically - A saddle with a complete center cut-out and dip nose to rear, or deep enough center nose to rear. About 150mm, give or take 2mm. Flat or curved back section (not curved up in back, but the sides of the rear). No thick padding & had to come in white (silver or pink okay).

(C/P from past Saddle thread I posted on) -
"I didn't have a lot of money to spend so I started with Ebay and the LBS take-offs (which all are $20/ea and returnable). I'd either buy a used one for $20 or less, that I would still be able to sell if it didn't work (used, but not tore up so horribly), or I'd buy from someone/place with a good return policy. I went through 4 IIRC. Trying each saddle, making note of what I liked and didn't like and putting that into finding another. I just got my Selle Italia Diva saddle off Craigslist for $20 (it was listed for $75). It took about 6 months for me, but that's only because I had such a small budget and I had to wait for deals."

The Selle Italia Diva saddle is great so far and I think its going to be my keeper saddle. I am also going to try the Fizik Vesta though because im just curious about it. It has a curved/rounded rear section that I think may work just as well (the Diva is pretty flat). I just want to see if it can get even better, I guess lol.
I also found out that the feel can be pretty influenced by the way the saddle is set up. Tweaking the angles a bit here and there made a lot of difference for me.
Old 03-11-17, 03:20 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
I've never replaced a saddle. I just rode whatever the bike came with, original or whatever the previous owner put on. I guess my butt just isn't that picky.

But... I'm leaning toward a Brooks Cambium for my next saddle, if I decide to go unpadded. They look good (seen 'em in local shops). They get pretty good reviews -- raves from some folks, not so much from others. The only real gripe most owners have is the fabric layer starts out kinda rough and wears out jeans or shorts quickly.

However I met two very different cyclists this past week, both of whom rode Brooks Cambium saddles. One is a fairly stout fellow with a pretty well naturally padded behind. He rides fairly upright, sometimes sitting way back, no hands on the bar. The other a very thin gal with a bony rear end. She rides mostly standard drop bar style, leaning forward. Both of 'em loved the Cambium. Said it had just the right balance of support and give. And they'd ridden enough to wear the fabric covering smooth, so there was no risk of wearing holes in favorite jeans or shorts. Enough miles to be fair judges of the saddle's comfort.

My 1976 Motobecane 10-speed came with the typical inexpensive barely padded vinyl covered saddle of that era. Only accommodation I made was to wear the then-contemporary merino wool shorts with thin chamois leather liner for 10-100 mile or longer rides.

My comfort hybrid has the original heavily padded wide saddle with springs. Really too wide for my narrow butt, but it doesn't bother me enough to change it. Only hindrance is scooting back far enough for balance and braking on steep downhills on the local grassy levees.

My 1990s rigid mountain bike has a Bell saddle that's lightly padded with gel foam and covered in remarkably tough fabric. It's fine. Good width for me.

Only accommodation I made was to quit wearing tight padded shorts or padded underwear. They actually made the chafing worse. Soaked up and held way too much sweat. Last summer I developed my first ever saddle sores and cracked, raw perineum. Taint pleasant.

Based on another bike forums member recommendation I switched to Champion boxer/briefs using thin wicking fabric. Really comfy. I wear 'em most of the time now, not just for cycling. And I've ridden many 30-60 mile rides just wearing those thin undies and non-padded baggy shorts.

But if I get a road bike I'll probably start wearing the tighty shorts again to get a little extra aero advantage. And I'll probably need the padded shorts again. Although if I get the Brooks Cambium I might get the carved version.
Old 03-11-17, 08:45 AM
acorn54

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
as far as i am aware, as long as one is contacting the bike saddle with one's SIT BONES everything should be fine.
i just adjust my seat until i reach contact solely with my sitbones , while in my primary riding position. when i go on 10+ mile rides i just occasionally ride in the stand up position or stop and rest. this strategy has served me well. and i don't wear anything but a soft pair of sweatpants of dress pants. i too was getting skin infections wearing underpants and any other material i would wear, under my dress pants.
Old 03-12-17, 07:03 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Originally Posted by acorn54
as far as i am aware, as long as one is contacting the bike saddle with one's SIT BONES everything should be fine.
i just adjust my seat until i reach contact solely with my sitbones , while in my primary riding position. when i go on 10+ mile rides i just occasionally ride in the stand up position or stop and rest. this strategy has served me well. and i don't wear anything but a soft pair of sweatpants of dress pants. i too was getting skin infections wearing underpants and any other material i would wear, under my dress pants.
The pubic bone must also make contact.